Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Good "strategy" games  (Read 20858 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Good "strategy" games
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2014, 06:32:18 pm »

Having looked at the rules I might be remembering a similar game with pen and paper, predating the plastic versions. I can remember there being more ships, including something like an aircraft carrier in a plus shape.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2014, 06:41:07 pm »

We only played it on paper ever.

IIRC, we played that adjecent ships were allowed, you do not announce what ship is hit (but you do say when it sinks), and sometime we had variant rule that you can make any shape as long as it takes the appropriate number of squares.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2014, 09:59:36 pm »

and sometime we had variant rule that you can make any shape as long as it takes the appropriate number of squares.
I have always played with this rule.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2014, 12:24:55 am »

Additionally, if you place your battleship in Free Parking, you get $500.

If you've ever played a "money on Free Parking" Monopoly "house rule/variant" (either a flat amount or increasing as people pay fees to the bank) and felt guilty because it is not present in any official Monopoly rules...  Never fear, for C. B. Hewison developed a little known add-on to solve your problem... 78 years ago!

In 1936 Parker Brothers produced Stock Exchange: an official Monopoly add-on which provides stock certificates for 5 different stocks, additional Chance and Community Chest cards, and the Pièce de résistance, a fold-up card stock "Stock Exchange" space which slips over and replaces, yes, you guessed it, that Space on the board designated as "FREE PARKING"!

Scan of original rules & cards: http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/StockExchangegame.pdf
Obligatory BGG link: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/9466/monopoly-stock-exchange-add

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2014, 08:39:29 am »

Additionally, if you place your battleship in Free Parking, you get $500.

If you've ever played a "money on Free Parking" Monopoly "house rule/variant" (either a flat amount or increasing as people pay fees to the bank) and felt guilty because it is not present in any official Monopoly rules...  Never fear, for C. B. Hewison developed a little known add-on to solve your problem... 78 years ago!

In 1936 Parker Brothers produced Stock Exchange: an official Monopoly add-on which provides stock certificates for 5 different stocks, additional Chance and Community Chest cards, and the Pièce de résistance, a fold-up card stock "Stock Exchange" space which slips over and replaces, yes, you guessed it, that Space on the board designated as "FREE PARKING"!

Scan of original rules & cards: http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/StockExchangegame.pdf
Obligatory BGG link: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/9466/monopoly-stock-exchange-add

I actually own Stock Exchange. I thought it was so cool at the time. After all, considering how ubiquitous Monopoly is, how many people even know this expansion exists?

I played it a couple of times. It didn't blow my mind like I thought it would. I suppose in one regard, it adds money to the player pool, but the players have to spend money first. So it's an effective money sink at first, but not as effective as the properties. In both cases, you spend money to the bank upon purchase, but the properties get that money back by draining other players while the stocks get that money back from the bank.

But it's a little piece of obscure gaming history, so I'm glad I have it.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2014, 05:04:41 pm »

additional Chance and Community Chest cards
New reasons to lose or gain money?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2014, 07:15:29 pm »
+1

http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/battleship.pdf
Now that I think about it, the most likely place I learned the rules to Battleship was from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, in which they clearly do not announce the name of the ship until it's been sunk. So I guess that wraps up this case.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2014, 09:33:01 pm »
+1

Now that I think about it, the most likely place I learned the rules to Battleship was from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, in which they clearly do not announce the name of the ship until it's been sunk. So I guess that wraps up this case.

Such a wonderfully terrible movie.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2014, 11:16:22 pm »
+2

As opposed to Battleship, which was just a terrible movie.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2014, 08:23:48 am »

As opposed to Battleship, which was just a terrible movie.
I found Battleship to be a delightfully terrible movie, like the endless stream of Transformers movies. No story at all, just some CGI action I can easily digest. Om nom nom, look at that mirror image in the metal of Optimus Prime, chomp chomp, Michael Bay is such a great director, gnor gnor, too bad they removed Megan Fox, swallow, breathe, oh wait, this was about Battleship.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 20 queries.