Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is anyone playing Banished?  (Read 5335 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Is anyone playing Banished?
« on: July 02, 2014, 07:02:04 pm »
+3

Banished is this incredible city-building/management game that I picked up during the Steam summer sale.

It is quite difficult--especially on hard with disasters turned on. You have to manage your citizens through different professions divided between food production (through farming, animal husbandry, gathering, fishing, and orchards), craftsman (blacksmiths and tailors to provide tools and clothing), and more resource gathering type jobs such as foresters and miners. Later on, you can get more infrastructure relates professions such as traders, market vendors, physicians, and teachers. You require not only enough food to feed your people, but also sufficient variety to promote good health. If you don't prepare for winter with enough firewood, your citizens freeze to death because they can't heat their homes. Although the graphics aren't incredible, I find something very charming about them. The maps in this game are HUGE, and with careful planning and management, you can eventually fill them out.

You also have to manage population growth by determining when to build houses and/or accept nomads into your lands. If you stop building new houses, young people will not marry and have children and eventually your whole population will die off. If you build too many houses at once, you will have a huge amount of children that you have to feed even though they can't work--and then your people will die of starvation.

One of the best things about this game is how it leaves progression up to you. Any building can be built at any time provided you have the resources and labor.

The details in this game are incredible: down the point where you can't keep planting the same crop in the same field or the nutrients in the soil will be depleted--necessitating the practice of crop rotation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone playing Banished?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:51:50 pm »
+1

Looks interesting! I'll keep it on my radar. I'm a sucker for city management games, although they tend to suck away all my time too :P.

My current favourite is the old Master of Olympus games. The best part in that game was how streets worked. A lot of workers, such as suppliers, moved semi-randomly on them (you could build "roadblocks" that blocked random walkers), forcing you to build residential areas close to the market, and the market close to the granaries, and the granaries close to your farms. Your city grew quite organically because of that, and finding a way to squeeze everything between the sea and a hill, while keeping your roads suitably short, was quite the challenge. Especially when trying to design a noble district, since nobles were so bitchy about everything...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:00:18 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:56:24 pm »
+1

I've heard really great things about it, but I can't really even justify the $10 sale price tag.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:59:15 pm »

Looks interesting! I'll keep it on my radar. I'm a sucker for city management games, although they tend to suck away all my time too :P.

My current favourite is the old Master of Olympus games. The best part in that game was how streets worked. A lot of workers, such as suppliers, moved semi-randomly on them, forcing you to build residential areas close to the market, and the market close to the granaries, and the granaries close to your farms. Your city grew quite organically because of that, and finding a way to squeeze everything between the sea and a hill, while keeping your roads suitably short, was quite the challenge. Especially when trying to design a noble district, since nobles were so bitchy about everything...
For sure. Yeah this game kind of automatically rehouses people to be close to their workplace--but it isn't always possible given that they have to keep the family units intact. You want to grow your city very slowly this game, building only about 2 new houses every year. I have so much fun plotting out where to place storehouses and farms to try to optimize time spent walking.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:20 pm »

I've heard really great things about it, but I can't really even justify the $10 sale price tag.
Yeah it's back up to $20 now--which is a bit much I think. I was wary buying it in the first place, but I've had a ton of fun with it.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:09:22 pm »
+1

And I was actually planning on uploading a few pictures of my best town so far. 27 years and about 180 population.
It's hard to get images from high up because they appear greyed out due to cloudcover though.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:05:52 pm »

So finally got some good screenshots. I even played through winter just now, just cause it looks so much better in Spring.

The first few are kind of the town nexus where I originally started. The others include the new tract housing to the West--and then several "forest nodes" with Hunters, Gatherers, and Foresters. And then the last one is just with the GUI up. I was playing on medium difficulty with disasters on.

http://imgur.com/a/vOT1u
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:39:06 pm by Ichimaru Gin »

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 11:16:07 pm »
+2

I picked it up during the summer sale as well and I'm loving it.  But I suck.  Took me the longest time to realize that in order to actually get the population to grow you needed more houses.  I figured "hey, houses hold 5 people, I have enough" not realizing they didn't expand to fill the whole house... so right now, 20 years in, I'm trying to actually build up some population but they keep dying of old age...  Still, it's everything I wanted in a city-builder game.  so far seems perfect.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 11:17:52 pm »

Your town is so orderly... Mine, well... not so much.  But hey, first play through and all

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 11:20:32 pm »

I picked it up during the summer sale as well and I'm loving it.  But I suck.  Took me the longest time to realize that in order to actually get the population to grow you needed more houses.  I figured "hey, houses hold 5 people, I have enough" not realizing they didn't expand to fill the whole house... so right now, 20 years in, I'm trying to actually build up some population but they keep dying of old age...  Still, it's everything I wanted in a city-builder game.  so far seems perfect.
Yeah. It took me about 5 towns before I (kind of) have population under control. It's especially hard in the beginning when you don't have any food reserves and also have to get your early infrastructure up. I took someone's advice online and built 1-2 houses each year, and it seems to be working pretty well for me in this game. Other people recommend like a 5:1 ratio of Adults to children, but mine was around 3:1 for most of my current game--and having Students complicates it a little bit.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 11:22:37 pm »

Your town is so orderly... Mine, well... not so much.  But hey, first play through and all
Thanks   ;D

Yeah I abandoned a bunch of towns when I first started playing. I'd get to approx. 20-40 population, but then I'd have like 7 people die of old age and everything just collapsed. In another one, my sole storehouse burned down, and everyone starved before I could rebuild it. I've been lucky in my current playthrough to avoid disasters though. Fire especially sucks.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 11:24:14 pm »
+1

I've run into absolutely no terrible things... but I also only have like 24 people...

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 11:26:33 pm »

I've run into absolutely no terrible things... but I also only have like 24 people...
What year are you in? Thankfully, disasters are pretty rare, but when they do come it can pretty much be Game Over.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:11:47 am »

What year are you in? Thankfully, disasters are pretty rare, but when they do come it can pretty much be Game Over.
That's what I've heard. I've played two games with disasters turned off, and I think I've seen everything else there is to see in the game. Once I got bored, I made my own disaster by taking in thirty nomads at once, just to see if my town would survive. (It didn't.)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 02:46:08 am »
+1

I picked this up the other day. In my first serious game (small map, valleys, otherwise hardest difficulty), I had my population up around 50 when a tornado swept right through my main street, leaving me with 10 adults, 3 children and very few buildings. I built back up from there pretty quickly, and recently got to around 100 citizens, but I seem to have accepted too many nomads and my healthy supply of food has disappeared, and now people have started starving...

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:07:17 pm »
+1

I picked this up the other day. In my first serious game (small map, valleys, otherwise hardest difficulty), I had my population up around 50 when a tornado swept right through my main street, leaving me with 10 adults, 3 children and very few buildings. I built back up from there pretty quickly, and recently got to around 100 citizens, but I seem to have accepted too many nomads and my healthy supply of food has disappeared, and now people have started starving...
Yep. After I took in thirty nomads, more than thirty people had starved within a year, and the population was still dropping when I stopped playing.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 01:06:51 am »
+1

So I finally bought this, and played it an unreasonable number of hours in the past few days.

It's very addictive, but I find the lack of "endgame" material a bit disappointing.You get everything you could possibly need very quickly, and then it's just slow-and-steady filling the map, until a tornado kills you (or a fire, but you can sort of play around that). I stopped playing when I reached 160 population, accepted 38 nomads for the kicks, and still managed to absorb them without breaking a sweat, on my second play through. There's just nothing new. Maybe a campaign (with different scenarios) could give the game a longer life...

Add me to the list of people that didn't realize that new couples would rather not shag in their parent's house. My first play through didn't last very long...
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 09:24:02 am »

How about tree fiddy?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 09:25:42 am »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 09:34:04 am »

Why are you replying to 2-year-old posts?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 09:37:15 am »

Why are you replying to 2-year-old posts?

Why are you replying to 9-minute old posts?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.