Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Gunpowder  (Read 90557 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Dominion: Gunpowder
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2014, 10:50:16 pm »

The discard thing is basically Oracle-style filtering.  Yes, this is why I thought it was strong for $6.  Most of the other comments said it was still on the weak side, which surprised me.
A lot of $6 cards are strong for $6. Army is not the worst, but I think that it would be below average.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2014, 12:20:38 am »

The discard thing is basically Oracle-style filtering.  Yes, this is why I thought it was strong for $6.  Most of the other comments said it was still on the weak side, which surprised me.
A lot of $6 cards are strong for $6. Army is not the worst, but I think that it would be below average.
that's true. but it's not a given that you have to compare it to other 6$'s, most times there won't be other 6$'s around. more realistically, 6$'s have to compeat against gold and power 5$'s, and there armory will be pretty good.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2014, 07:24:43 pm »

A lot of $6 cards are strong for $6.
Sure, because when you have $6 you have to put the card past the Gold test.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2014, 11:40:04 am »
+2

You certainly no little about game design.

I hope he doesn't tell that to Greater Than Games.

._.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2014, 06:20:15 pm »
+11

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2014, 06:24:15 pm »
+1

This kind of makes me sad that Donald X doesn't read the fan card forum.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2014, 07:41:15 pm »

I'm sure he does, on occasion. He just won't ever post here, just in case something similar ends up in one of his games.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2014, 07:43:55 pm »
+13

I'm sure he does, on occasion. He just won't ever post here, just in case something similar ends up in one of his games.

New Promo: Bomb.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2014, 09:01:32 am »
+9

While the OP was obviously most in the wrong in this thread, I don't find this thread entertaining nor I think this is a good look for f.ds either. Nothing to be proud about for either side, in my opinion.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2014, 09:28:36 am »

While the OP was obviously most in the wrong in this thread, I don't find this thread entertaining nor I think this is a good look for f.ds either. Nothing to be proud about for either side, in my opinion.

For the record, I never spun any story about him. I never pm'd theory, and my only pm's to him were to arrange a game on goko. You don't need to find it funny, but he did ignor everything we said and made up stories about me making up stories. I'd be sad if this were taken down as reading all the comments on bomb is funny, especially after he ignored our comments about it the first 5 times.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2014, 10:07:26 am »
+13

Looks like there's been a decline of civility on f.ds, huh?

bomb though. heh. bomb.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2014, 10:11:12 am »

Hm, I actually thought everyone was being really nice to him until he got very defensive, then offensive.

The criticism of his cards was constructive and polite, even when he was kind of unwilling or unable to really understand what they were saying.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2014, 10:20:39 am »
+1

And KingZog's comments after their game together were interesting, taken apart from this context.  Specifically, the point about play style and understanding of the game influencing how you create cards. 

Without a nuanced understanding of the game flow and progression, and using concepts like "numbers of shuffles," you might not be able to see why Bomb is not good.  Yes, I know it's not good, but essentially it's a cheap card that trashes a card, and trashing is generally good, so alright.  Except the trashing is the slowest it can possibly be.  If the flow of a Dominion game were different, that might not be as bad as it actually as.  But as it actually is, by the time you've used it to get rid of any noticable amount of your starting cards, any strategy has already grabbed up half the victory points.  (As it's been pointed out, you have to buy the new Potion variant, then this card for each card you want to trash, taking up all your buys.)

At one point he responded something like "So it takes a few more shuffles to get things going, so what?"  This is something interesting, because I often find myself thinking this way. Well, I can't think of a specific example off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure I've lost quite a few Dominion games (against Bots and in real life) by thinking along these lines.  As a beginning, or even intermediate, player, you don't quite have a feel of the pace of Dominion games.  Unless everyone is adopting money strategies, newer games tend to go on for a lot longer because people buy a lot of action cards but don't really know how to build engines or balance them.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2014, 11:04:40 am »
+10

I appreciate any feedback you want to offer, but I don't think I would do anything differently.  Part of the gap here might be that I quoted only a very tiny portion of his PMs to me.  What I saw was not a new player making a new expansion ignorant of higher-level strategy; instead I saw a toxic and uncontributing member of the community who viewed this as a promotional platform for his genius game, and who was harassing me to discipline and punish anyone who criticized his game.

That's why I expressed relief that I had forgotten to IP ban him, because I think his post-ban posts more accurately reflect his true form.  Those posts reveal a lot about him, particularly the obvious misrepresentations contained therein.

Of course I am open to changing my view.  However, I generally think that unpleasant individuals are best removed from a community swiftly and harshly, rather than allowing them to fester, drag down the discussions, and discourage others.  We are doing fine without him.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2014, 11:30:56 am »
+2

What I saw was not a new player making a new expansion ignorant of higher-level strategy; instead I saw a toxic and uncontributing member of the community who viewed this as a promotional platform for his genius game, and who was harassing me to discipline and punish anyone who criticized his game.

Yeah this pretty much sums up how I feel about this. You can't just stroll into the fan cards subforum and tell everyone you're open to feedback when you're clearly not. Honestly if I was thinking about making any sort of game or even expansion, I would want years of playtesting and feedback. Homeboy hadn't playtested AT ALL and just wanted to show off his creation without having to admit he didn't know what the hell he was doing. In my opinion, when you go off talking about something you know nothing about, you deserve to be taught a lesson.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2014, 10:18:16 am »
+12

I appreciate any feedback you want to offer, but I don't think I would do anything differently
Oh, I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was criticizing your way of handling the unfortunate situation. That's not the case at all, it's just that I find everyone linking this thread everywhere unsavory. These kind of things are best swept under the rug I think. Even though Errin had it coming due to his behavior, I think laughing at him all over the forums makes us seem elitist and not welcoming towards newer members. We were all new once, newer guys don't always know what they are talking about. Some people might interpret these jokes as bullying, laughing at not being expert.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2014, 10:20:09 am »

I appreciate any feedback you want to offer, but I don't think I would do anything differently
Oh, I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was criticizing your way of handling the unfortunate situation. That's not the case at all, it's just that I find everyone linking this thread everywhere unsavory. These kind of things are best swept under the rug I think. Even though Errin had it coming due to his behavior, I think laughing at him all over the forums makes us seem elitist and not welcoming towards newer members. We were all new once, newer guys don't always know what they are talking about. Some people might interpret these jokes as bullying, laughing at not being expert.
in that case, bringing the thread back after it hasn't been touched for 10 days is probably not helpful.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2014, 10:39:00 am »

We were all new once, newer guys don't always know what they are talking about.
This is not merely a newbie being a newbie.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2014, 11:59:43 am »
+1

in that case, bringing the thread back after it hasn't been touched for 10 days is probably not helpful.

Oh come on, you can't respond to Eevee's post like that.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2014, 12:07:48 pm »

but that's exactly what it is. he brought attention to the thread only to state that you shouldn't bring attention to the thread.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2014, 12:09:49 pm »
+4

but that's exactly what it is. he brought attention to the thread only to state that you shouldn't bring attention to the thread.

He should have made a poll as to whether this thread should never be spoken of again or not :P.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2014, 12:12:59 pm »

No, he's participating in a discussion. Just because the thread is bumped back up to the top doesn't mean it's drawing any more attention than it was already.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2014, 12:14:16 pm »

No, he's participating in a discussion. Just because the thread is bumped back up to the top doesn't mean it's drawing any more attention than it was already.
of course that's what it means, everyone who visits this section now sees this thread at the top.
i've no problem with that, i like everything about this thread, i'm just stating facts.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2014, 12:20:25 pm »
+2

of course that's what it means, everyone who visits this section now sees this thread at the top.
i've no problem with that, i like everything about this thread, i'm just stating facts.

What you're doing is going out of your way to discredit Eevee without actually discussing what Eevee was talking about and it's rude. He had a legitimate post of his opinions and all you did was accuse him of some completely irrelevant "fact" that means nothing. I can turn around and say you're doing the same thing you're accusing Eevee of doing by bumping this thread but that doesn't solve anything. I'd rather have a rational conversation about something instead of accussing people of little things like bumping a thread.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2014, 01:13:07 pm »

What you're doing is going out of your way to discredit Eevee without actually discussing what Eevee was talking about and it's rude. He had a legitimate post of his opinions and all you did was accuse him of some completely irrelevant "fact" that means nothing. I can turn around and say you're doing the same thing you're accusing Eevee of doing by bumping this thread but that doesn't solve anything. I'd rather have a rational conversation about something instead of accussing people of little things like bumping a thread.

mh i'm surprised it comes across this way, but I get what you mean. I think. so, my thought process upon reading his post was this: eevee thinks the thread is getting too much attention, and writes in in the thread, which is focusing more attention in it (as you can see, we're discussing this in this thread because he brought it back to life). there is no logical reason to do that, he could have made the same post 10 days earlier where the thread was at the top anyway, or if for some reason he never visited the forum for 10 days, he could have just not made the post. if he just wanted to apologize to theory, he could have send a pm. the only difference between a pm and a post is that the latter can be read by everyone, thus bringing attention to this thread.

so, i was like, "hey, what you're doing doesn't make a lot of sense," but it's not meant to be rude, discrediting or accusative, because like I said, I enjoy this thread. it's more like pointing out that he's making a move for the supposedly opposite argument.

maybe he just wanted to let everyone know that he doesn't think this thread should get much attention, even at the cost of it getting attention. but we already know that he thinks that, because he already posted it.

as for my post, I think pointing out illogical behavior is always worth it, and I don't have a problem with the thread being bumped up again.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:14:32 pm by silverspawn »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.