Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1849279 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #6850 on: June 12, 2021, 11:10:54 am »

Why the Silver? Monument, Copper, Copper, Copper, Chapel thindeck will do the trick.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: June 16, 2021, 08:35:25 pm »
+2

Reddit Card Action costing
+2 cards
+2 Actions
-2 Buys
+
Until your next turn, each player trashes any Attack cards they play.
-
When a player gains a Province, you may reveal this from your hand to end the game.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6852 on: June 16, 2021, 10:00:31 pm »

Reddit Card Action costing
+2 cards
+2 Actions
-2 Buys
+
Until your next turn, each player trashes any Attack cards they play.
-
When a player gains a Province, you may reveal this from your hand to end the game.

im glad im not the only one watching that trainwreck of a thread

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: June 17, 2021, 09:09:33 am »
+2

URL? Google's not finding me anything obvious, but I'm bored and could do with a laugh.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: June 17, 2021, 07:06:16 pm »
+1

Pearl Conniver
Action-Attack
$2

+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player reveals the bottom card of their deck, then you decide whether to discard it or leave it there.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6855 on: June 17, 2021, 07:08:01 pm »

Scout's Dishonor
Action-Attack
<8>

Each other player reveals the top 4 cards of their deck.  If any Victory cards are revealed, you may trash this to put any number of them into your hand.  Put the rest back in any order.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: June 24, 2021, 06:39:44 pm »
+1

Participation Trophy
Landmark

At the end of each turn, if the previous turn wasn't yours, +1 VP
My opponent has more loot than me

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: June 24, 2021, 07:15:23 pm »
+1

Suburbs
Project
Cost: $8

During your turns, all cards are named Steve.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: June 30, 2021, 07:18:50 am »
+1

Grade
Action-Ruins
Cost: $0

Trash a card from your hand.  Gain it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:34:08 am by Minotaur »

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: July 03, 2021, 03:28:34 pm »
+2

Silver Is the New Purple
Landmark

In games using this when you would gain a Curse, gain a Silver instead. Silvers are worth -0.5 VP.
My opponent has more loot than me

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: July 03, 2021, 04:28:46 pm »

Black Is The New Gold
Project
$4

After your Night phase, get $3 for each $6 worth of Night cards in play, and you may Buy a card.

I'm Blue
Event
$5

Set aside a Reaction card and an Action card from the Supply.  Any Action set aside this way may be played from your hand any time the Reaction card could trigger if it were in your hand.  (For the purpose of checking whether the reaction could trigger, treat the Reaction card as if it were an extra card in your hand that does not count toward your hand size.)
-------------------------
Setup:  Add three Reaction cards to the Supply.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: July 03, 2021, 06:28:13 pm »

Just One
Project

After you turn, each player reveals a card from their hand. Trash any duplicates.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: July 05, 2021, 12:06:18 am »

Pony
Action
Cost: $2

Return this to its pile.  If you did:
+2 Cards
+1 Action

(This is not in the Supply)

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: July 06, 2021, 10:30:06 am »

Mare
Action
Cost: $5

+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Foal.
(Heirloom: Stallion)

Stallion
Treasure-Heirloom
Cost: $3

+$1
+1 Buy
Mare costs $2 less this turn.
(Also has a non-Supply pile)

Foal
Action
Cost: $2

+1 Card
+1 Action
Exchange this for a Horse, Mare, or Stallion.
(Not in the Supply)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 07:51:37 am by Minotaur »

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: July 06, 2021, 11:06:18 am »

Sure, it doesn't especially matter for a RBCI, but Foal would need a "when you discard this from play" big-background-arrow thingy like the Page/Peasant lines, rather than a flat-out "exchange". Otherwise you end up in corner-case hell.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: July 07, 2021, 11:37:07 am »

Sure, it doesn't especially matter for a RBCI, but Foal would need a "when you discard this from play" big-background-arrow thingy like the Page/Peasant lines, rather than a flat-out "exchange". Otherwise you end up in corner-case hell.

This is a discussion I must have missed.  Aside from making it faster to finish a Traveler sequence, what gets broken if we don't wait for this?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6866 on: July 07, 2021, 01:42:49 pm »

???
whys that? bats + vampires exchange both to and from the supply/out-of-supply with no problem

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: July 07, 2021, 02:32:21 pm »

???
whys that? bats + vampires exchange both to and from the supply/out-of-supply with no problem

That was my initial thought as well. Vampire and Bat are not Action cards, so cannot be played in unusual ways using emulators/command cards/throne variants, which, in theory, could cause issues. The official rules cover an Exchange failing because there is no card to get, but I don't think they cover one failing because there is no card to return (or it has been lost under the stop-moving rule).

The logical answer is that an exchange requires both, and so just as you don't return a card if there is none to take, you don't take a card if there is none to return, but that is not officially set forth. I suppose someone could argue whether exchange should work conditionally like Wish or unconditionally like Horse (if you Throne the former you only gain one card, but if you throne the latter you get the +Cards and +Actions twice, even though you only return it once), but I think the plain meaning of the word pretty clearly suggests the former.

I don't know what other problems there could be.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: July 07, 2021, 05:37:41 pm »

My main worry is that I'm not sure it's completely clear how the Exchange mechanic interacts with the Stop-Moving rule. Presumably the intent would be that a Throned Foal didn't let you exchange it twice, but I suspect that would need a special ruling. Using the existing mechanism would be simpler.

Yes, that would also prevent you playing what you exchanged the Foal for on the same turn as the exchange, which also seems like a good idea. (I note that if you get especially creative, say, using a Monastery to trash a Cultist, it is possible to draw a Vampire/Bat, and therefore play it, the turn you got it; I assume that was deemed OK because it's an alternation more than an upgrade?)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: July 07, 2021, 05:43:11 pm »
+1

???

That was my initial thought as well. Vampire and Bat are not Action cards, so cannot be played in unusual ways using emulators/command cards/throne variants, which, in theory, could cause issues. The official rules cover an Exchange failing because there is no card to get, but I don't think they cover one failing because there is no card to return (or it has been lost under the stop-moving rule).

The logical answer is that an exchange requires both, and so just as you don't return a card if there is none to take, you don't take a card if there is none to return, but that is not officially set forth. I suppose someone could argue whether exchange should work conditionally like Wish or unconditionally like Horse (if you Throne the former you only gain one card, but if you throne the latter you get the +Cards and +Actions twice, even though you only return it once), but I think the plain meaning of the word pretty clearly suggests the former.

I don't know what other problems there could be.

The rules DO actually cover an Exchange failing because there is no card to return. From the Nocturne rules:

Nocturne has three cards that tell a player to "exchange" a card for another card. The card being exchanged is returned to its Supply pile, or non-Supply pile, and the card being exchanged for is taken and put into the player's discard pile. This does not count as gaining a card. The exchange only happens if both cards can be exchanged; if the pile is empty, the cards are not exchanged.

And the stop-moving rule would prevent a Commanded Foal from returning to its pile, as it's already there. "Exchange this for a Card X" is effectively identical to "return this to its pile. If you do, put a Card X from its pile into your discard pile."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 05:47:08 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6870 on: July 08, 2021, 11:32:04 am »

Ah, but can you really not "return" a card to its pile when it's already there?

I can see two potential objections. The first is that the "exchange" ability expects the card to be in play, the second that you can't move a card to somewhere it already is. While both seem plausible, neither seem to be spelled out anywhere.

On the first point, Vampire and Bat are the only cards that currently exchange themselves from play. I've thought for a bit, and I'm struggling to come up with any way you could possibly cause either to be played without being put into play, or to have left play before reaching the "exchange" instruction. So I don't think there's a ruling on that, yet.

On the second point, I've just gone down a rabbit hole that reaches a deeply absurd conclusion. I think I need to post a rules question. (-8

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: July 08, 2021, 03:08:45 pm »
+1

Ah, but can you really not "return" a card to its pile when it's already there?

Way of the Butterfly says yes.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: July 08, 2021, 09:06:16 pm »

So far as I can see it's silent on the matter?

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: July 10, 2021, 01:15:49 am »

So far as I can see it's silent on the matter?

Have you ever tried Throning a card and using Way of the Butterfly on the Throned card both times? It fails the second time, because by then it's already in its pile.

That was my initial thought as well. Vampire and Bat are not Action cards, so cannot be played in unusual ways using emulators/command cards/throne variants, which, in theory, could cause issues.

Command cards wouldn't work. "Play a card [with X criteria] from the Supply." - Command cards. Foal is not in the Supply. Only Throne Room variants would work.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 01:19:44 am by Gubump »

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: July 10, 2021, 11:57:23 am »

You seem to be relying on the online implementation, not the rulebook?
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 282  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.