Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1850378 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #6750 on: January 30, 2021, 10:04:46 am »
+1

Way Of The Pauper
Play a non-Command action in the Supply costing at most $2 less than this, leaving it there.

Way of the Prince
Exile this.  Play an Exiled Action costing more than this, or Exile an Action costing more than this.

These sound like Actually Passable Card Ideas.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: January 30, 2021, 03:25:44 pm »

Hang on a sec: there's no default place to Exile stuff from. Every card with the mechanic says "Exile this", or "Exile X from the Supply", "Exile Y from your hand", etc.

Not saying where to exile from would be Really Bad, especially if someone thought to Exile a card that belonged to another player. (-8

(What was the intent of Way of the Prince? Exiling from the supply is pretty strong; exiling from your hand somewhat less so!)

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: January 30, 2021, 03:28:32 pm »
+1

Way of the Way
Do something else of your choice.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: January 30, 2021, 07:11:18 pm »

Hang on a sec: there's no default place to Exile stuff from. Every card with the mechanic says "Exile this", or "Exile X from the Supply", "Exile Y from your hand", etc.

Not saying where to exile from would be Really Bad, especially if someone thought to Exile a card that belonged to another player. (-8

(What was the intent of Way of the Prince? Exiling from the supply is pretty strong; exiling from your hand somewhat less so!)

From the Supply, yeah.  It also exiles itself, so it's supposed to be not too strong, but I also didn't say that the card played from Exile stays there.  The exiling itself is just a weaker Camel Train.  Exiling from your hand would be just about unplayable mostly, except for post-Curse curser or whatever.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: January 30, 2021, 08:09:18 pm »
+2

This is the Way
Check the internet to see if anybody at the table is wanted. If they are, knock them out and turn them in. If they were the only other player, you win. If there is still players remaining, + 30 coffers

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: January 31, 2021, 10:34:20 am »

Way Of The Crow
You may discard a Treasure to deal the next Way from the Crow deck and then play this card again.  Otherwise, follow the instructions of the most recently dealt Way.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: January 31, 2021, 07:40:19 pm »
+2

Somnambulism - $2
Night
Reveal your hand. If you have any Action cards, randomly select one and play it. If the card's text requires making any choices, choose randomly from among all of the possibilities.
-------------
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: January 31, 2021, 10:13:32 pm »
+1

Somnambulism - $2
Night
Reveal your hand. If you have any Action cards, randomly select one and play it. If the card's text requires making any choices, choose randomly from among all of the possibilities.
-------------
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile).

Generally weaker than Necropolis (except when drawn by terminal draw).  As a Night card, it doesn't even play well with terminal draw that would draw Treasures, but if it returned you to your Buy phase, that could be interesting and playable.  At that point, it almost might as well be a Treasure except for theme reasons, but there are occasionally Treasure abilities that could make some difference.  The randomness is also on-theme, but strongly suggests online-only, and the card seems weak enough without it.

For a Night card that doesn't return you to an earlier phase, setting aside as many as you wish face-up and playing them in any order seems reasonable for $2.

/RBCI critique as actual balance discussion

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: February 01, 2021, 10:39:09 am »

To me, the Really Bad part of that Card Idea is the problem with working out how to weight different possibilities. How do you choose "randomly" among the possibilities for what Chapel does, for example? (-8

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: February 01, 2021, 07:11:14 pm »

To me, the Really Bad part of that Card Idea is the problem with working out how to weight different possibilities. How do you choose "randomly" among the possibilities for what Chapel does, for example? (-8

For gainers, the gaining step could involve making a complete numbered list and then using RNG, such as assigning them cards from a Poker deck and shuffling, etc.  Cellar would require N coin flips.  You probably have to reveal your hand a lot of the time, and you may have to reveal anything else that would require a choice, such as optional choices involving card types...  It's thematically appropriate but hell for offline play.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: February 02, 2021, 01:01:13 am »
+5

What if one of the decisions is "Name a card"? We know that technically the named card doesn't have to be a Dominion card, but do you just include "Ace of Spades" as a single option with equal probability to all named Dominion cards, or do you have to have a list of all cards that exist in any form - including "Autographed 1948 Yogi Berra Rookie card" and "The Christmas card I received back in 2014 from a family my parents used to be friends with and who send a card every year with a newsletter of their grandchildren's accomplishments"?

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: February 02, 2021, 02:20:38 am »
+2

What if one of the decisions is "Name a card"? We know that technically the named card doesn't have to be a Dominion card, but do you just include "Ace of Spades" as a single option with equal probability to all named Dominion cards, or do you have to have a list of all cards that exist in any form - including "Autographed 1948 Yogi Berra Rookie card" and "The Christmas card I received back in 2014 from a family my parents used to be friends with and who send a card every year with a newsletter of their grandchildren's accomplishments"?

Hmmmm, cat walks on keyboard for this step.  If you don't have them, get them, and then resume your turn.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: February 02, 2021, 09:14:20 am »
+1

Hmmmm, cat walks on keyboard for this step.  If you don't have them, get them, and then resume your turn.
Do I need to make a random choice of cat among all those available at the pet shop? Or will the cheapest do? Or can I pick the one wearing the f.ds badge?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: February 02, 2021, 05:15:35 pm »
+2

What if, instead of a cat, the pet shop only has a blue dog?

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: February 03, 2021, 11:40:50 am »

What if, instead of a cat, the pet shop only has a blue dog?
Well, then that might just be the inspiration you need to design one of the greatest games of all time.

joefarebrother

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: joefarebrother
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #6765 on: February 04, 2021, 08:39:58 am »
+2

Way of the noob

Follow this card's instructions, except whenever you would get +actions, instead you may play that many action cards from your hand (before resolving the rest of the text).
Also, whenever you would discard a card, you may trash it instead, and vice-versa.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: February 04, 2021, 03:42:07 pm »
+1

Hmm. "Way of the noob" makes me think "Way of the boon".

I wonder if "+1 Action, receive a Boon" would be too strong for a Way?

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: February 07, 2021, 12:19:59 am »

Undeadery
Night
Cost: $3P

+P
+$1
Gain a Nightmare whenever you gain a card costing $2P or more this turn.
You may play a Treasure from your hand.
You may buy a card costing P or more.

Nightmare
Night
Cost: $1P (not in the Supply)

+5 Cards
+1 Action
Return this to its pile

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: February 07, 2021, 12:21:27 am »
+2

Hmm. "Way of the noob" makes me think "Way of the boon".

I wonder if "+1 Action, receive a Boon" would be too strong for a Way?

The +1 Action is probably unnecessary.  "Way of the Fool" feels like a good name, even though it's not the only boon card.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: February 07, 2021, 12:26:41 am »

Undeadery
Night
Cost: $3P

+P
+$1
Gain a Nightmare whenever you gain a card costing $2P or more this turn.
You may play a Treasure from your hand.
You may buy a card costing P or more.

Nightmare
Night
Cost: $1P (not in the Supply)

+5 Cards
+1 Action
Return this to its pile
won't a debt card immediately give you a nightmare?

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: February 07, 2021, 07:45:58 am »

won't a debt card immediately give you a nightmare?

<X> neither costs more nor less than $2P.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: February 13, 2021, 01:37:32 am »
+2

Nap
Action-Ruins

You may play a Night card from your hand.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: February 17, 2021, 12:51:41 am »

Inconvenient water-filled Trench
Attack- Reaction
+2 cards
---------
when another player plays an attack card, you may reveal this from your hand to have them be unaffected by it

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: February 17, 2021, 01:04:14 am »

Inconvenient water-filled Trench
Attack- Reaction
+2 cards
---------
when another player plays an attack card, you may reveal this from your hand to have them be unaffected by it

You know, I made a joke card once, and it played off of "victory" propaganda of WWII era by being a victory card.  It's Actually Passable IMO, just...  Bomb Shelter - Victory/Reaction - Cost:$3 - Worth 2 VP - You may reveal this when another player plays and Attack card to not be affected by the attack.  (The theme isn't quite Dominion but other than that...)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: February 18, 2021, 09:26:15 pm »
+3

Sportsmanship
Landmark
After scoring, if you didn't win, you may say "Good game" to take 2 VP from here, which you get in your next game.
Setup: Put 2 VP per player here, minus 2 VP.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 282  All

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 21 queries.