Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1849302 times)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #6425 on: April 20, 2020, 12:15:42 pm »
+4

Iron Giant Action

Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face down, +$1. If it's face up, +$5, and each other player reveals the top card of his deck. For each revealed card, if it is a

Victory Card, +1 Card
Action Card, +1 Action
Treasure Card, +

If the revealed card is an Iron Giant, play this again.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: April 21, 2020, 03:34:08 am »
+2

Last night I've dreamt that Donald X released something very close to the following card. I definitely remember the name and the cost. Effect and wording were slightly different.

Social Distancing – Action – 6$
If you have exactly one land in play, choose an action card from your hand. Play it at the start of every turn for the rest of the game, replacing every instance of "+1" in its text with "+2" and every instance of "*2" with "*4".

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: April 21, 2020, 05:07:51 am »
+1

Last night I've dreamt that Donald X released something very close to the following card. I definitely remember the name and the cost. Effect and wording were slightly different.

Social Distancing – Action – 6$
If you have exactly one land in play, choose an action card from your hand. Play it at the start of every turn for the rest of the game, replacing every instance of "+1" in its text with "+2" and every instance of "*2" with "*4".
Woah. Almost strictly better than Prince and absolutely bonkers with Market or Fortune.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: April 21, 2020, 06:54:38 am »
+3

Pretty sure it's strictly worse than Ruined Village because there are no lands in dominion. My non-sleep idea was to replace the condition by having exactly 1 estate in your hand.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: April 21, 2020, 10:05:09 am »
+1

Ice Golem
Action
Cost: PP

Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal four Action cards which are not Ice Golems.  Play them and discard the other revealed cards.  For the rest of the turn, skip playing any Actions.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: April 21, 2020, 11:09:09 am »
+10

So, I recently had a dream where a new Dominion expansion was revealed, and it was themed after Shakespeare's plays, which is actually a really cool theme. It was the first day of previews and the only card I remember was a project, with art that was a JPG of some pumpkins. I don't remember the art, but I do remember the card involved Coffers. So, I've decided to make a mini-set based on the experience. In any game using this set, you may replace the starting estates, much like shelters, with three copies of Knife as well as being given one of the four knifes, color-coded in the colors of the tavern mats, of sharpness equalling the usual kitchen knife. And here's Knife.

As you can see, Knife introduces the new "stab" mechanic. When a card tells you to stab a player, you select a player, take your knife, and stab them anywhere on their body you choose. If, during a game of Dominion, a player dies from bleeding out, being stabbed, or a factor unrelated to the game being played, i.e. heart attack, you trash all of their cards unless otherwise told to. You can stab yourself but  only if a card says that you can. You can't stab yourself with knife, but you can with one of the upcoming cards, Juliet. This expansion adds a new game end condition: all players dying. A game ends if three piles are empty, the provinces empty, the colonies empty, or if all players in the game die.
Another card in the expansion would be Shylock, which also uses the mechanic.

Ducat does mean the kingdom card of the same name.
What Shakespeare expansion would be complete without the famous lovers, Romeo and Juliet? Here, the are a split pile. Yes, they have the same art. I couldn't find any art of them solo. Romeo goes on top.

When thinking of stabbing, nobody is more thought of than the roman emperor himself, Caesar.

And of course, the prince of Denmark himself.

Indecisive, that prince. Can't even settle on one effect. It took me about a minute longer than it should've for me to notice the obvious. I was going to make him a pawn-like 2-cost, what with his indecisiveness thing before that.
And the card that started it all. The name and most of the effect are something I came up with, but the coffers, card type, and art are conjured by my subconscious.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: April 21, 2020, 12:12:23 pm »
+2

Good job! I think stabbing is a really exciting new mechanic. Donald X has once said that one of his goals with dominion was to make losing fun. I don't think he has quite succeeded, but this might just do the trick.

It's also very elegant in that it's conceptually simple, yet it adds a lot of hidden complexity to the game. For example, if you play a bo5 against another player, it introduces an alternative win condition. You can either try to win 3 games, or you can try to stab your opponent a sufficient number of times.

The only thing that worries me is the online implementation, but shuffle IT has proven themselves to be quite capable. I think they will be up to the task.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: April 21, 2020, 12:13:32 pm »
+1

I also strongly approve of more dream-inspired cards.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: April 21, 2020, 02:19:14 pm »

Good job! I think stabbing is a really exciting new mechanic. Donald X has once said that one of his goals with dominion was to make losing fun. I don't think he has quite succeeded, but this might just do the trick.

It's also very elegant in that it's conceptually simple, yet it adds a lot of hidden complexity to the game. For example, if you play a bo5 against another player, it introduces an alternative win condition. You can either try to win 3 games, or you can try to stab your opponent a sufficient number of times.

The only thing that worries me is the online implementation, but shuffle IT has proven themselves to be quite capable. I think they will be up to the task.
I saw a card idea (though I can't remember where) that had you tickle the other player, and the idea for the online implementation was to have the other player tickle themself, so maybe that's worth considering?

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: April 21, 2020, 04:43:36 pm »

I saw a card idea (though I can't remember where) that had you tickle the other player, and the idea for the online implementation was to have the other player tickle themself, so maybe that's worth considering?
And additional mechanic close to stabbing would be poisoning. If the player dies of poison, it's the same as dying of stabbing, except there's a time limit to finish the turn. There could be another card that gives the antidote. It adds great urgency to turns.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #6435 on: April 21, 2020, 10:33:44 pm »

Titus Andronicus
Landmark

If at the end of your turn zero or one players are still alive, you win.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6436 on: April 23, 2020, 02:13:26 pm »
+11

Sir Vivors - $5
Action - Attack - Knight
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Discard them or put them back in any order.
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes a card costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest. If a Knight is trashed by this, trash this card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: April 23, 2020, 02:21:35 pm »
+1

Surmiser
Action-Attack-Knight
Cost: $5

Each other player has a Copper or a card costing $3-$6 on top of their deck.  If it's a Copper, put it on your Tavern mat.  If it's a card costing $3-$6, trash it and +$1 for each Copper on your Tavern mat.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: April 23, 2020, 07:23:51 pm »
+2

Way of the Old Commander
Way

Put this on your Tavern mat.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: April 25, 2020, 04:49:17 pm »

Beggar Your Neighbor Action-Attack

Gain three Coppers to your hand. Pass this to the player on your left, who puts it into his hand.

-----------
Reaction: when another player gains a Copper, you may reveal this, to pass this to your left.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: April 26, 2020, 09:44:04 am »

Alternatively, on that theme:

Starting to your left, each player in turn reveals a card from their deck until someone reveals a Treasure. They play it, then gain 1 Curse per $ they have. Discard the other revealed cards.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: April 27, 2020, 11:18:06 am »

Beggar Your Neighbor Action-Attack

Gain three Coppers to your hand. Pass this to the player on your left, who puts it into his hand.

-----------
Reaction: when another player gains a Copper, you may reveal this, to pass this to your left.

It could also not be an attack, like masquerade, to fix interactions with moat

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: April 27, 2020, 03:30:13 pm »
+1

Ven Action-Attack 

+2 Buys
+1 Card
You may return a curse from Exile to the supply.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: April 28, 2020, 07:39:53 am »
+1

Annoying Setup - $3 - Action
Choose one: +1 Villager, +1 Coffer, +1 VP, gain a Horse, Ruin, Prize, Will-o-Wisp, Ghost, or an Imp, receive the next Boon or Hex, take 1 Debt, put a card on your Native Village-/Pirate Ship-/Island-/Tavern-/Exile Mat, take any one Artifact, reveal the top three cards of the Black Market deck and you may buy one of them.

Are there more things one could add?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:11:07 am by Rhodos »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: April 28, 2020, 07:45:12 am »

Annoying Setup - $3 - Action
Choose one: +1 Villager, +1 Coffer, +1 VP, gain a Horse, Ruin, Price, Will-o-Wisp, Ghost, or an Imp, receive the next Boon or Hex, take 1 Debt, put a card on your Native Village-/Pirate Ship-/Island-/Tavern-/Exile Mat, take any one Artifact, reveal the top three cards of the Black Market deck and you buy one of them.
-------
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Page or a Peasant.
Setup: Add a Coin Token to each Victory Supply pile; move that token to the Trade Route mat when a card is gained from the pile.

FTFY

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: April 28, 2020, 07:48:33 am »

Annoying Setup - $3PP - Action
Choose five: +1 Villager, +1 Coffer, +1 VP, gain a Horse, Ruin, Price, Spoils, Will-o-Wisp, Ghost, or an Imp, receive the next Boon or Hex, take 1 Debt, put a card on your Native Village-/Pirate Ship-/Island-/Tavern-/Exile Mat, take any one Artifact, reveal the top three cards of the Black Market deck and you buy one of them.
-------
Setup: Add a Coin Token to each Victory Supply pile; move that token to the Trade Route mat when a card is gained from the pile.

FTFY

FTFYsomemore

What's Price?

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: April 28, 2020, 08:04:41 am »

Annoying Setup - $3PP - Action
Choose five: +1 Villager, +1 Coffer, +1 VP, gain a Horse, Ruin, Price, Spoils, Will-o-Wisp, Ghost, or an Imp, receive the next Boon or Hex, take 1 Debt, put a card on your Native Village-/Pirate Ship-/Island-/Tavern-/Exile Mat, take any one Artifact, reveal the top three cards of the Black Market deck and you buy one of them.
-------

FTFY

FTFYsomemore

What's Price?
I think it means Prize.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: April 28, 2020, 08:12:46 am »

I think it means Prize.
Yep, edited it.

What does FTFY mean?

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: April 28, 2020, 05:50:16 pm »

I think it means Prize.
Yep, edited it.

What does FTFY mean?
Fixed That For You.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: April 29, 2020, 07:03:43 am »
+1

Annoying Setup - $1<1>P<P> - Action
-------

Potion-debt is also a thing in the RBCI universe, don't forget.  Also needs inheritance/-$1/-1 Card tokens.  Not to mention Labradors, Marketers, Scouters, Chancel tokens, Spy tokens, and Transmute tokens.

If you want to really make it an awkward setup, have each player add a sleeping infant to the table.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 282  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.