Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1849231 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #3350 on: February 27, 2015, 11:56:44 am »
+1

Strictly better
Types: Whichever you want, whenever you want.
Cost: $8
You win forever!

(Also, apparently Journey's fans are serial killers, judging from the silent intro and extreme close-up on the hands... creepy.)

(OH GOD THE WHOLE TIME IT WAS THE SINGER FROM JOURNEY!  WHAT A TWIST!!!)
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: February 27, 2015, 11:57:43 am »

He'll murder you, any way you want it.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: March 11, 2015, 07:47:16 am »

Silk Rat
Costs $4
Action, VP
Trash a victory card from your hand that is not an Estate.  Worth 1 VP for every 5 Victory cards in the trash (rounded down).

Okay, I'm catching up on this thread so this is super old, but I actually kinda like this concept, with some actual balancing.  Maybe something like

Silk Rat
$4 Victory
Worth 1 VP for every Victory card in the trash.  When you gain this, you may trash a card from your hand.

Even if there's no support on the board or from your opponents, you can get them to $4 Duchies with some commitment, and if there IS a way to get more green in the trash, they can become key cards.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: March 11, 2015, 08:38:44 am »

Silk Rat
Costs $4
Action, VP
Trash a victory card from your hand that is not an Estate.  Worth 1 VP for every 5 Victory cards in the trash (rounded down).

Okay, I'm catching up on this thread so this is super old, but I actually kinda like this concept, with some actual balancing.  Maybe something like

Silk Rat
$4 Victory
Worth 1 VP for every Victory card in the trash.  When you gain this, you may trash a card from your hand.

Even if there's no support on the board or from your opponents, you can get them to $4 Duchies with some commitment, and if there IS a way to get more green in the trash, they can become key cards.
Thing is, the VP is symmetrical, so other players can take advantage of all your hard work to boost them up. You'd have to scoop most of them up to really get an edge over your opponent.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3354 on: March 11, 2015, 08:41:44 am »

Silk Rat
Costs $4
Action, VP

Silk Rat
$4 Victory

Thing is, the VP is symmetrical, so other players can take advantage of all your hard work to boost them up. You'd have to scoop most of them up to really get an edge over your opponent.

You could say the same about Forager -- trashing a Gold also helps your opponent, but it may help you more depending on how many Foragers you have.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3355 on: March 11, 2015, 09:30:51 am »

You could say the same about Forager -- trashing a Gold also helps your opponent, but it may help you more depending on how many Foragers you have.

Well, you hardly ever trash Golds for Forager at all, and when you do, it's for tactical reasons. Either you just need the extra coins or the buy now at more or less any cost, or you temporarily have more Foragers than your opponent. In the latter scenario, your opponent can easily just buy more Foragers if the advantage is big enough to make a relevant difference, but usually he won't, because it's not that huge. Or you just want to get rid of the Gold for whatever reason.

Alt VP cards are also bought for tactical reasons (buying a 2-point Gardens in the late game because you didn't get $5 and you need any points you can get), but that's different from the Forager scenario because nobody has to do anything special for that: you just buy the card, get whatever points you get from it, and that's it. It hardly matters what the criteria is for getting the points, as long as it's somewhat balanced. But when you're actually trashing cards from your hand to increase the VP value of Silk Rat, you do that because you're making a long-term commitment to a Silk Rat strategy. Meanwhile, your opponent can do whatever he wants. If it was a Gardens instead, your opponent then has the choice of buying some Gardens just for the purpose of denying them from you, or focusing on the Provinces or something and letting you have all the Gardens. But with Silk Rat, now that you've done all of the work for increasing the VP value already, it's rather trivial for your opponent to just get a few Silk Rats himself, and then whatever work you put into making your Silk Rats worth a ton of points for you also helps your opponent while he can just focus on the Provinces without helping you at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: March 11, 2015, 12:33:46 pm »
+1

You could just have a Silk Rats mat, and put cards on there.

Hey, a high cost VP card that wasn't just VP cards wouldn't be bad, would it?

New Silk Rats
$6 Victory
Worth 1 VP for every card on your New Silk Rats mat costing $5 or more
-----
When you gain this, put a card from your hand onto your New Silk Rats mat.

You're trying to put good cards on the mat, but you need good cards to hit those $6.  With a bit of rebalancing it could work...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: March 11, 2015, 12:45:41 pm »
+7

Hey, this is not the "Really intriguing, kinda interesting card ideas" thread! I will counteract this elaborate balderdash with a really bad card idea:

Catapult
Cost: $4
Types: Action/Attack
Trash any number of Rocks from your hand. For each Rock trashed, each other player trashes a card from their hand.
When you buy this, gain 5 Rocks from the Rock pile.

Rock
Cost: $0*
Type: Rock
It's a Rock. (This is not in the Supply.)
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: March 11, 2015, 01:50:28 pm »

Oh god.  This stuff again.  Ok, I'm going in!

Musket
Action-Attack
Cost: $5

Choose one:
* If a Gunpowder is in play, you may return a Rock to the Rocks pile.  Each other player trashes three cards from their hand.
* If a Bayonette is in play, each other player discards down to three cards.
* Gain a Rock from the Rock pile.

When you gain this card, gain a Bayonet and three Gunpowder from their respective piles.

Gunpowder
Action
+1 Card

Bayonette
Action
+1 Card

Colonial Village
Action

+1 Card
+2 Action
Gain a Gunpowder in hand from the Gunpowder pile.
You may trash a Copper from your hand.  If you do, play this card again.
America, hell yeah.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:18:18 pm by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: March 11, 2015, 02:06:53 pm »

Rat-Infested Gardens
Action-Victory

+1 card
+1 action
Trash two cards from your hand that do not have "rat" it its name, or reveal a hand with fewer than two such cards and trash one if possible.  Gain a rat-infested Gardens.

1VP for every 5 cards in your deck, for some reason.

Noble Rats
Action-Victory
Cost: $6

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand which does not have "rat" in its name.  If you do, Noble Rats costs $1 less this turn.

2 VP

Fishing Rats
+1 Action

Now and at the start of your next turn:
Trash a card from your hand which does not have "rat" in its name, or reveal a hand with no such cards.  If you trash a card, gain a Fishing Rats.

Wandering Rats
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top three cards from your deck.  Trash the cards which are not actions, and return the others to the top of your deck.  Gain a Wandering Rats for each trashed card.

Plague Rats
(This supply pile is only stocked with four cards)
Cost: $8
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash one card which does not have "rat" in its name from your hand for each Plague Rats in play (including this), or trash as many as you can and reveal the rest of your hand.  +$1 for each trashed card.
Why does it cost so much?  This is so stupid.  Waste of a booster pack!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:15:22 pm by Minotaur »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: March 11, 2015, 02:12:41 pm »
+1

I would totally buy Noble rats. Yet another card that isn't bad enough for this thread.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: March 11, 2015, 02:13:18 pm »

Indestructible Ratchet

+1 Card
+1 Action
Name a card.

Do the following up to three times, until you reveal the named card:
Reveal the top card of your deck.  If it is the named card, put it in your hand.  If not, put it on the bottom of your deck.

If you do not reveal the named card, trash the top card of your deck.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: March 11, 2015, 02:21:15 pm »
+1

Silk Rat
Costs $4
Action, VP

Silk Rat
$4 Victory

Maybe you're looking more for this:

Silk Rats
$2-Action
+1 Action
Gain a Silk Rats. Trash a card from your hand that is not a Silk Rats.
----
Worth 1VP for every 4 VP cards in the trash.

Looks too interesting for this thread though.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: March 11, 2015, 02:28:30 pm »
+2

Maybe we need a Tongue In Cheek Themed Cards That Aren't Quite That Bad Of An Idea thread?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: March 11, 2015, 02:35:36 pm »
+5

Maybe we need a Tongue In Cheek Themed Cards That Aren't Quite That Bad Of An Idea thread?
Oh, for cards like:

John Smith
$4 - Action

+3 Cards

He's a lot like his brother, but John always had more of a thing for flavour text.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: March 11, 2015, 02:41:57 pm »
+1

Rat Haven
$2 Victory
Worth 1 VP
------------------------------
In games using this card, replace the Estate pile with Rat Haven and add a replacement Kingdom card.  Every Action besides Rats  gains the following effect after all other resolution of playing that card:

"Gain a copy of this card.  Trash a card in your hand that is not a copy of this card (or reveal a hand containing only copies of this card)."

I.e., every card is now a Rats~

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: March 11, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »
+1

Rat Feast
Action
Cost: $7

Gain a card costing $5.
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Rat Feast.  Trash a card from your hand which does not have "rat" in its name, or reveal a hand with no such cards.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: March 11, 2015, 04:19:43 pm »

Oh, for cards like:

John Smith
$4 - Action

+3 Cards

He's a lot like his brother, but John always had more of a thing for flavour text.

All name swaps are RBCIs conceptually, if not mechanically.  (Though three-pile ending edge cases could make a clone and its original worse, as well as lolol Cornucopia considerations.)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: March 11, 2015, 04:44:30 pm »
+1

Someone do Ratvisor and Ratscout.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: March 11, 2015, 08:52:24 pm »

Someone do Ratvisor and Ratscout.

Oh god.  That's horrible.

Ratvisor
Action
Cost: $1

+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Ratvisor.
Reveal the top three cards of your deck.  The opponent to your right chooses one.  If it does not have "rat" in its name, trash it.  Draw the cards which were not trashed.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: March 11, 2015, 08:56:15 pm »
+3

All these combo with Bureaucrat!

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: March 11, 2015, 08:58:12 pm »

All these combo with Bureaucrat!

And Pirate Ship.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: March 11, 2015, 09:14:39 pm »
+7

New action subtype "Rat", which gives +1 Card when trashed.  Several cards require errata though, including Rats itself.

Rats
$4 - Action-Rat
+1 Card; +1 Action
Gain a Rats.  Trash a card from your hand other than a Rat card (or reveal a hand of all Rat cards).

Bureaucrat
$4 - Action-Attack-Rat
Gain a Bureaucrat; put it on top of your deck.  Each other player trashes a card from his hand other than a Rat card (or reveals a hand of all Rat cards).

Laboratory
$5 - Action-Rat
+1 Card; +1 Action
Gain a Laboratory, putting it into your hand.

Conspirator
$4 - Action-Rat
Gain a Conspirator.  Trash a card from your hand other than a Rat card (or reveal a hand of all Rat cards).  If you've trashed 3 or more Actions this turn: +1 Card; +1 Action.

Pirate Ship
$4 - Action-Attack-Rat
Choose one: Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed card other than a Rat card that you choose, discards the rest, and if anyone trashed a card you take a Rat token; or, gain a Pirate Ship per Rat token you've taken with Pirate Ships this game.

Edit: I was working on these before I saw the most recent comments!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: March 11, 2015, 09:29:26 pm »

Duration cards get updated too.

Haven
$2 - Action-Duration
+1 Card; +1 Action
Set aside a card from your hand face up.  At the start of your next turn, trash it unless it is a Rat card.  Gain a Haven, putting it into your hand.

Lighthouse
$2 - Action-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: trash a card from your hand other than a Rat card (or reveal a hand of all Rat cards).

While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack card, gain a Lighthouse.

Fishing Village
$3 - Action-Duration
+2 Actions
Gain a Fishing Village.  At the start of your next turn: +1 Action; trash a card from your hand other than a Rat card (or reveal a hand of all Rat cards).

Caravan
$4 - Action-Duration
+1 Card; +1 Action
At the start of your next turn, gain a Caravan, putting it into your hand.

Merchant Ship
$5 - Action-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: +$2 and trash a card from your hand other than a Rat card (or reveal a hand of all Rat cards).

Outpost
$5 - Action-Duration
Gain an Outpost.  Take an extra turn after this one.  Twice at the start of your next turn: trash a card from your hand that is not a Rat card (or reveal a hand of all Rat cards).  This can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns.

Tactician
$5 - Action-Duration
Reveal your hand.  Trash every card that is not a Rat card.  If you trashed any cards this way, then at the start of your next turn, +5 Cards; +1 Action; Gain a Tactician.

Wharf
$5 - Action-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards and gain a Wharf.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: March 11, 2015, 09:33:53 pm »
+5

New action subtype "Rat", which gives +1 Card when trashed.  Several cards require errata though, including Rats itself.

This would make some original cards so much simpler!

Cultist
Action/Attack/Looter/Rat
+2 Cards. Each other player gains a Ruins. You may play a Cultist from your hand. | When you trash this, +2 Cards.

Overgrown Estate
Victory/Shelter/Rat
0 VP
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 282  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.