Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1849528 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #350 on: March 21, 2012, 10:44:20 pm »

Monopoly
Action-Duration
$4

+$2

If you have 3 or more white-bordered cards in play, +1 Card +2 Actions.
If you have 3 or more orange-bordered cards in play, at the start of the clean-up phase you may put Monopoly on top of your deck.
If you have 3 or more green-bordered cards in hand, +1 VP.
If you have 3 or more blue-bordered cards in hand, pretend that an attack has been played against you.
If you have 3 or more gold-bordered cards in hand, +$2.
If you have 3 or more purple-bordered cards in hand, you may return any purple-bordered cards in hand to the supply.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 21, 2012, 11:21:12 pm »
+1

Lost Witch $2

+2 Cards
You gain a curse.

Very Confused Sea Hag $2

Place the top card of the Trash Pile back in the box.  Place a curse on top of the trash pile. 

Torturer Who Didn't Quite Make the Cut $3

+3 Cards.

Each other player may choose one:  Gain a curse, or not.
hmmm......
Sunken Ghost Ship
$2
+2 cards
Each other player puts cards on top of his deck until he has three cards in his hand. For every card he put on his deck he may draw a card.

Crazy lookout
$2
Look at the top three cards of your deck. Discard one, discard another one, and discard another one.

Adventurer That Never Returned
$2
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal two treasure cards.
edit:
some more....
Stolen Vinyard
$P
Worth 1VP for every three actions in your opponent's deck.

Evil Jack of all Trades
$0
Gain two coppers.
Look at the top card of your deck. If it is a treasure or action, discard it. Otherwise, put it back.
Discard until you have three cards in your hand.
Trash an action worth five or more.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:43:13 am by Morgrim7 »
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 22, 2012, 09:56:36 am »

Good Ideas

LepahC
$2 - Action
Put 4 cards from the Trash into your hand

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 22, 2012, 12:45:22 pm »

Inflation ($1)
Action - Duration
While this card is in play, all numbers on all other cards are increased by 1.
Remains in play.

Holy crud.  If you have two inflations in play, infinite numbers!!!!  Awesome!

Not quite infinite... the first increases the second to +2, so you get +3 in total. Still, quadratic increase sounds fun, until you realise you're making everything quite expensive. Then it gets even more fun again, as you realise that for every cost increase, your treasures increase by the same amount!
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 22, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
+1

Inflation ($1)
Action - Duration
Remains in play.

Not quite infinite... the first increases the second to +2, so you get +3 in total. Still, quadratic increase sounds fun, until you realise you're making everything quite expensive. Then it gets even more fun again, as you realise that for every cost increase, your treasures increase by the same amount!

Yes infinite.. #1 boosts #2, which consequently boosts #1 one more.. ad inifinitum.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #355 on: March 22, 2012, 04:22:11 pm »

Inflation ($1)
Action - Duration
Remains in play.

Yes infinite.. #1 boosts #2, which consequently boosts #1 one more.. ad inifinitum.

Agreed.  If the effect happened on-play, like Bank, then it would be sequential and not recurse.  But since it's a "while in play," it would just feed on itself infinitely.  Great idea.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 23, 2012, 12:58:50 pm »

Inflation ($1)
Action - Duration
Remains in play.

Agreed.  If the effect happened on-play, like Bank, then it would be sequential and not recurse.  But since it's a "while in play," it would just feed on itself infinitely.  Great idea.

I still disagree. The card has a timing condition (while in play) which would have to happen sequentially, as they don't happen at the same time. And after it's happened, you can't go back to retroactively increase the previous number, from the card you've now resolved.

Still, this might be one for the rules lawyers...
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 23, 2012, 01:39:00 pm »

I still disagree. The card has a timing condition (while in play) which would have to happen sequentially, as they don't happen at the same time. And after it's happened, you can't go back to retroactively increase the previous number, from the card you've now resolved.

Play a talisman during a BM buy phase. Place a bridge afterwards, buy a 5-cost action. By your logic I think you would only gain one copy of it. And if you accept that the recursion works for Bridge-Talisman once, where do you argue it's limited to only one?

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2012, 01:43:06 pm »

That's a compelling argument.  If "while in play" is a point in time (like "when you gain this" is a point in time, and "when you play this" is a point in time, etc), then all those effects trigger simultaneously, which means the player gets to choose the order.

However, is "while in play" a point in time?  My understanding was that it was not, that it is a range of time during which the condition holds.  For example, while Moat's defensive power occurs at a specific point in time -- whenever it is revealed in response to an attack -- Lighthouse's is just a passive state that you are in whenever it's on the table.  There's no point in time where the "while in play" triggers.  It's just always active.

Another way to look at it is that Lighthouse's defensive reaction doesn't get ordered with respect to all the other events that might occur during the game.   As people take their turns, lots of events are triggering, and you never have to identify a point within that sequence of events when the "while this is in play" part of Lighthouse occurs.

(Lighthouse is maybe not the best example, because after it says "while in play" it then says "when another player plays an attack card" which IS a discrete event.  Goons and Haggler operate similarly.  But how about Highway and Princess?)

If "while in play" is a passive state, therefore, and not a discrete event, then I would still argue that two active "while this is in play, add 1..." effects would recurse over each other infinitely.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »
+2

Controlled Inflation ($1)
Action - Duration
While this card is in play, all numbers on all other cards are increased by the number of Controlled Inflation cards in play.
Remains in play.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2012, 08:07:44 pm »

Play a talisman during a BM buy phase. Place a bridge afterwards, buy a 5-cost action. By your logic I think you would only gain one copy of it. And if you accept that the recursion works for Bridge-Talisman once, where do you argue it's limited to only one?

Umm... no. Talisman triggers not when it's played, but when you gain a card costing $4 or less. As soon as I do, thanks to a Bridge being in play, I need to resolve Talisman. By your logic, however, it would seem that if there were some hypothetical cards allowing this play, then if I played a Talisman, bought a card from the supply then played a Bridge, I'd have to go back and gain a card from Talisman, as the card I had gained cost $4 now, which Talisman must effect, no?

Rinkworks makes a good point about it though. However, I still feel to get any kind of recursion you have to resolve increasing the numbers from card a, then increase the numbers on card b, then go back to card a, using the increase from card b... and that seems to me you're trying to resolve card a's 'while in play' effect twice, under different conditions. In which case, I ask, why doesn't this card recursively increase itself with only a single card out? All we're doing is resolving it's while in play effect indefinitely, after all... and it's always being in play, right?

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2012, 08:27:05 pm »

Umm... no. Talisman triggers not when it's played, but when you gain a card costing $4 or less. As soon as I do, thanks to a Bridge being in play, I need to resolve Talisman. By your logic, however, it would seem that if there were some hypothetical cards allowing this play, then if I played a Talisman, bought a card from the supply then played a Bridge, I'd have to go back and gain a card from Talisman, as the card I had gained cost $4 now, which Talisman must effect, no?

Rinkworks makes a good point about it though. However, I still feel to get any kind of recursion you have to resolve increasing the numbers from card a, then increase the numbers on card b, then go back to card a, using the increase from card b... and that seems to me you're trying to resolve card a's 'while in play' effect twice, under different conditions. In which case, I ask, why doesn't this card recursively increase itself with only a single card out? All we're doing is resolving it's while in play effect indefinitely, after all... and it's always being in play, right?

My point was on the "while this is in play" recursion, but I forgot that's not how Talisman is worded. Also it's buy, not gain. I still find your point that "while this is in play" is supposed to be discrete unconvincing. You're also right: It works with only one card; the card itself is paradoxical with any doubles.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2012, 08:56:41 pm »

Oh, wait, we managed to completely forget the wording on the original card, it says 'all other cards' :P.

I guess my point isn't that it's supposed to be discrete, rather, that we should only be considering the card once while it's in play. I think the fundamental argument here is, how is while in play effect resolved: Your viewpoint suggests that we can and should resolve it continually at every given moment, adding to it's own effect. My viewpoint is that it resolves once and permanently, never needing to be re-resolved. And I can actually see a good argument for both viewpoints.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 23, 2012, 11:48:21 pm »
+1

Ill Fated Pearl Diver:
Cost: 1
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the bottom card of your deck, then trash this card.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2012, 11:54:45 pm »

King Midas:
Whenever you play a card, trash it, gain a Gold, and put it in your hand. If the "Gold" supply pile is empty, you immediately lose the game.

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 24, 2012, 12:47:47 am »

King Midas:
Whenever you play a card, trash it, gain a Gold, and put it in your hand. If the "Gold" supply pile is empty, you immediately lose the game.
Maybe should be an exception for playing Golds...but then again, maybe not :P .

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 24, 2012, 07:36:49 pm »

Monopoly
Action-Duration
$4

+$2

If you have 3 or more white-bordered cards in play, +1 Card +2 Actions.
If you have 3 or more orange-bordered cards in play, at the start of the clean-up phase you may put Monopoly on top of your deck.
If you have 3 or more green-bordered cards in hand, +1 VP.
If you have 3 or more blue-bordered cards in hand, pretend that an attack has been played against you.
If you have 3 or more gold-bordered cards in hand, +$2.
If you have 3 or more purple-bordered cards in hand, you may return any purple-bordered cards in hand to the supply.

My version of this would be:

Monopoly
$4 Action - Mega Duration
Repeat the actions of the last few turns for hours
A player may only buy a province during these turns if he has cards that 'precisely' add up to $8 and ONLY those cards in hand

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 31, 2012, 07:25:31 pm »

Wesley Crusher
$3 - Action
When you play this card it does nothing but sit in your In Play Area.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 31, 2012, 07:38:23 pm »
+1

Peppermint
Action
$5

You may reveal a Treasure card from your hand.  Trash it.
When you buy this, gain a copy of each Treasure you have in play.

Spearmint
Action - Attack
$5

You may reveal a Treasure card from your hand.  Every other player gains a copy of it.
When you buy this, every other player gains a copy of each Treasure you have in play.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 31, 2012, 07:54:19 pm »

Wesley Crusher
$3 - Action

Barber Pole
$3 - Action-Duration
Plays on table.

(If you get this, you're a big giant nerd like me)
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 31, 2012, 07:57:30 pm »

Wesley Crusher
$3 - Action

Barber Pole
$3 - Action-Duration
Plays on table.

I don't get it, amd niether does Mot....

Dagenais

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 01, 2012, 04:46:52 am »

Sabre-Rattling
Action
$1
Discard this card. If you do, +1 Action.

Idiot's Village
Action
$3
+1 Card
+2 Actions
While this is in play, you may only buy Idiot's Village.

Cantrip Moat
Action - Reaction
$3
+1 Card
+1 Action
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand, point at them, and laugh. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

But Can I Buy It?
Action
$10
+10 Cards
+10 Actions
+10 Buys
+$10
+10VP
This card can not be gained.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 05, 2012, 12:52:43 am »
+1

Inflation ($1)
Action - Duration
Remains in play.

Donald addressed this specifically, actually, on BGG. Sorry I don't have a link. He said that if you were to play a card that says "this turn, all other action cards also say '+1 card', that it would affect card already in play. Those cards would be considered to say +1 card (though you wouldn't get to draw that extra card for cards in play, because you are done resolving the card. So with 2 inflations in play, the first one would have its number increased by the second one. And because it's a "while in play", it would create an infinite recursion.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 05, 2012, 12:18:08 pm »

Oh well. As a mathematician, I can accept being wrong :P.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:44 pm »

Wesley Crusher
$3 - Action

Barber Pole
$3 - Action-Duration
Plays on table.

I don't get it, amd niether does Mot....

It goes back to the Star Trek: The Next Generation CCG game, which had one useless barber-related card per expansion. However, the last expansion had a card by which if you put them all together they created a super-combo. Only because of production issues, the final card didn't come out until well after post people had stopped playing the game...
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 282  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.