Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1859545 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #1100 on: May 31, 2013, 03:03:36 pm »

If you have two "on would-gain, ___ instead" effects, does the first one you choose to resolve prevent the other one from resolving? Possession reacts to would-gain, so can the possessed player reveal a Trader to get a Silver (which the possessing player gains isntead)?

Possessed player buys a card.  Let's say it's a Curse.
Possessed player would gain Curse.  Now there are two scenarios:

A) Possessed player reveals Trader.
Possessed player would gain Silver instead of Curse.
Possessing player gains Silver instead.

B) Possessed player does NOT reveal Trader.
Possessing player gains Curse instead.
Possessing player Would gain Curse, and can now reveal Trader himself to gain Silver instead.

Both are valid.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 31, 2013, 04:00:31 pm »

If you have two "on would-gain, ___ instead" effects, does the first one you choose to resolve prevent the other one from resolving? Possession reacts to would-gain, so can the possessed player reveal a Trader to get a Silver (which the possessing player gains isntead)?

Possessed player buys a card.  Let's say it's a Curse.
Possessed player would gain Curse.  Now there are two scenarios:

A) Possessed player reveals Trader.
Possessed player would gain Silver instead of Curse.
Possessing player gains Silver instead.

B) Possessed player does NOT reveal Trader.
Possessing player gains Curse instead.
Possessing player Would gain Curse, and can now reveal Trader himself to gain Silver instead.

Both are valid.

Right. But you can't do the following:

Possessed player buys a Curse.
Possessed player would gain Curse.
Now you say: Two things happen at the same time! Possession redirects the Curse to possessing player, and possessed player may reveal Trader. Choose an order to resolve them!
Resolve Possession first: possessing player gains Curse.
Resolve Trader next: possessed player reveals Trader and would gain a Silver (which is redirected to possessing player).

The first would-gain effect resolved does indeed prevent the other from resolving: you choose whether to resolve Possession or Trader first, but once you've done that the other one is no longer resolved at all.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1102 on: June 01, 2013, 07:38:52 am »

I don't quite understand your objection here. Ordinarily the rule of the game is "when you buy a card, you gain it". What this card does is replace that rule while it's in play.

(Also, a clearer way to write your revision would be "when you would gain a Curse due to buying it...".)
"When you buy a card, you first buy it, then gain it" is the rule according to the Hinterlands rulebook. It doesn't replace the rule, it just replaces the gain. It would have to say "when you buy a curse, instead of following the rule 'when you buy a card, you first buy it, then gain it', each other player gains a curse" in order to replace the rule. And there is no gain being going on at the time you buy a card, so there is nothing to replace, and that means nothing happens. Your wording for my revision is admittedly better than mine.
If you have two "on would-gain, ___ instead" effects, does the first one you choose to resolve prevent the other one from resolving? Possession reacts to would-gain, so can the possessed player reveal a Trader to get a Silver (which the possessing player gains instead)?
Obviously yes, because you have an unlimited number of those effects whenever you would gain a card and have a Trader in hand, because nothing prevents you from revealing that same Trader 9001 times as a reaction to the same would-gain. With Possession, if you buy a Curse and reveal a Trader, you can choose the order and if you choose to apply Trader's replacement effect first, Possession's replacement effect fizzles because that would-gain no longer exists, but then Trader's ability makes the possessed player would-gain a silver, which makes both Trader and Possession go off again, and since there is no point in replacing that silver with a silver, the possessed player probably doesn't reveal the Trader this time, so there is only Possession's replacement effect left, and that makes the possessing player gain that silver instead of the possessed player. But if you choose to apply Possession's replacement effect first, Trader's replacement effect fizzles because that would-gain no longer exists.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: June 01, 2013, 10:12:10 am »

What happens if I reveal a Trader - can I first get a Silver instead of the Curse that I "would gain", and then proceed to not gain the Curse for the other reason?
I don't think you "would gain" the Curse in that situation, because Sea Haggler's ability is already taking place and it's already replacing the gain with something else.

I disagree... when you buy a Curse, 2 different things both reaction to "would gain" a curse, and you choose the order in which to resolve them. No matter which order you choose, you both gain a silver and each other player gains a curse. I think.

I agree with Awaclus. Sea Haggler triggers on buy, not on would-gain. On-buy is before would-gain, so would-gain never happens and your Trader is never activated.

Meanwhile, I claim that if Sea Haggler is an Attack, Moat protects you from it but Lighthouse doesn't. This might be a good reason for it not to be an Attack.

I was thinking that it was a when would gain, not when buy, oops.

Why Would Moat and Lighthouse be different? They both react exactly to "when another player plays an attack card."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 01, 2013, 12:40:04 pm »

Meanwhile, I claim that if Sea Haggler is an Attack, Moat protects you from it but Lighthouse doesn't. This might be a good reason for it not to be an Attack.

I was thinking that it was a when would gain, not when buy, oops.

Why Would Moat and Lighthouse be different? They both react exactly to "when another player plays an attack card."

Because different things happen "when another player plays an Attack card"!

With Moat, when you play Sea Haggler, I reveal Moat. If I do so, I am unaffected by that Sea Haggler. Good deal! Nothing that Sea Haggler does will affect me, including dishing out Curses.

Lighthouse says "when another player plays an Attack card, it doesn't affect you." It doesn't say the Attack card doesn't affect me at other times—it only protects me from Attack cards' on-play effects, not their while-in-play effects that happen later.

...At least, that's how it seems to me. I'm trying to come up with a bizarre edge-case counterexample...

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: June 01, 2013, 12:45:56 pm »

...At least, that's how it seems to me. I'm trying to come up with a bizarre edge-case counterexample...

Got one! If, through some unholy combination of Procession, Graverobber, and Ambassador, someone plays and then buys the same copy of Noble Brigand on the same turn, it's clear that revealing Moat when Noble Brigand is played shouldn't protect you against the on-buy effects of the same Noble Brigand later on.

So there's a few possible resolutions here.

• One, Moat only protects you against Attacks' on-play effects, and therefore doesn't protect you against Sea Haggler.
  • Two, Moat and Lighthouse protect you against Attacks' while-in-play effects as well, even though Lighthouse doesn't seem to say so.
  • Three, Moat protects you against a single execution of card text, top to bottom, which includes on-play and while-in-play effects but not on-buy effects that might be triggered later.
  • Four, Sea Haggler, like Masquerade, shouldn't be an Attack because its interaction with Moat and Lighthouse is too confusing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:44:43 pm by AJD »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: June 01, 2013, 01:53:03 pm »

Got one! If, through some unholy combination of Procession, Graverobber, and Ambassador, someone plays and then buys the same copy of Noble Brigand on the same turn, it's clear that revealing Moat when Noble Brigand is played shouldn't protect you against the on-buy effects of the same Noble Brigand later on.

So there's a few possible resolutions here.

• One, Moat only protects you against Attacks' on-play effects, and therefore doesn't protect you against Sea Haggler.
  • Two, Moat and Lighthouse protect you against Attack's while-in-play effects as well, even though Lighthouse doesn't seem to say so.
  • Three, Moat protects you against a single execution of card text, top to bottom, which includes on-play and while-in-play effects but not on-buy effects that might be triggered later.
  • Four, Sea Haggler, like Masquerade, shouldn't be an Attack because its interaction with Moat and Lighthouse is too confusing.

I'm pretty sure it's #4 (though #2 would be correct rules IMO). Despite the slight difference in wording that you pointed out, I'm almost sure that the intent of Lighthouse is to protect you from attacks that are played, exactly as Moat is. If Sea Haggler is an attack that gets played, then a person with a revealed Moat or Lighthouse cannot be affected by that card.

But while-in-play effects are certainly not well-defined for attacks, and most likely Donald avoided the question by never having an attack card that affects other players "while-in-play." Imagine if Goons' discard down to 3 happened at the same time you gained the 1VP for buying cards. It would indeed be hard to deal with either with Moat or Lighthouse. First off, there would be arguments about whether or not you are protected, because you weren't being affected "when the card was played." Second, it's tracking issues.... during your buy phase, it has to be remembered if I revealed a Moat to your modified Goons (or Sea Haggler) earlier in the turn. If you played 2, maybe I Moated 1 but not the other. We now have to remember how many of which cards I Moated.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 01, 2013, 02:46:25 pm »

But while-in-play effects are certainly not well-defined for attacks, and most likely Donald avoided the question by never having an attack card that affects other players "while-in-play." Imagine if Goons' discard down to 3 happened at the same time you gained the 1VP for buying cards. It would indeed be hard to deal with either with Moat or Lighthouse. First off, there would be arguments about whether or not you are protected, because you weren't being affected "when the card was played." Second, it's tracking issues.... during your buy phase, it has to be remembered if I revealed a Moat to your modified Goons (or Sea Haggler) earlier in the turn. If you played 2, maybe I Moated 1 but not the other. We now have to remember how many of which cards I Moated.

This is presumably the same reason there are no Duration Attacks.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 02, 2013, 11:35:54 am »

The last fifteen or so posts are a reminder that this is a bad cards thread.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 06, 2013, 03:16:59 pm »

"Wishing, ... well?" - $3 - Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
Name a card and a number greater than 0. Count the number of copies of the named cards you have in your discard pile.
If it's equal to the named number, reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card. Put the named card in your hand and discard the rest.

Might be reasonable, but probably annoying IRL (although not more annoying than PhilStone)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: June 06, 2013, 03:22:15 pm »

+1 Card
+1 Action
Name a card and a number greater than 0. Count the number of copies of the named cards you have in your discard pile.
If it's equal to the named number, reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card. Put the named card in your hand and discard the rest.

Might be reasonable, but probably annoying IRL (although not more annoying than PhilStone)

People really good at deck tracking would know exactly how many they have in their discard, and it would be favored towards them.  And, for those people, this would be like +1 card, +1 action, draw a card of your choice.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 06, 2013, 03:25:05 pm »

+1 Card
+1 Action

People really good at deck tracking would know exactly how many they have in their discard, and it would be favored towards them.  And, for those people, this would be like +1 card, +1 action, draw a card of your choice.

Yeah, that's why I posted in bad cards although I like the card idea itself.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 06, 2013, 03:27:49 pm »
+2

Lake of Dreams
$5 - Action
Name a card.  Reveal the top card of your deck.  If it is not the named card, discard all revealed cards.  Otherwise, you may either repeat this or put all revealed cards into your hand.
+1 Card
+1 Action

The vanilla bonuses are put at the bottom so that I can say "repeat this" with less ambiguity.

Finally, something that actually combos well with Scout!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 06, 2013, 05:54:02 pm »

Gamble
$3
+1 Action
Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest. Discard a card from your hand at random.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #1114 on: June 06, 2013, 06:02:31 pm »
+2

Gambler's Fallacy
$3
+1 Action
Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest. Reveal your hand; the player to your left chooses one card for you to discard.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:12 pm »

Hey Let's Steal Magic Cards
Action - $2
+1 Action
If you have no cards in hand, name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest. Otherwise, reveal your hand, then reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a card with the same name as a card in your hand. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #1116 on: June 06, 2013, 09:49:50 pm »

Hey Let's Steal Magic Cards
Action - $2
+1 Action
If you have no cards in hand, name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest. Otherwise, reveal your hand, then reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a card with the same name as a card in your hand. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest.

Well, I imagine this plays a lot differently here than it does in Magic, but the first thought that jumps to my mind is a handful of these and a bunch of tunnels lets you empty the gold pile from full in a single turn...

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 06, 2013, 11:47:33 pm »
+1

Poor Man's Peddler
Action 0*
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
During your Buy phase, this costs $2 more per Action card you have in play.
A man on a mission.

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 07, 2013, 03:51:06 am »
+3

Wizard $6
Action-Attack

+2 cards
Each other player gains a Scout
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #1119 on: June 07, 2013, 05:59:19 am »

Terminal Curse, Action/Curse, $0
When you play this, -1VP
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 07, 2013, 06:55:54 am »

Doctoracle
Action - $3*
+2 cards
--
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 overpaid, each player (including you) reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, and you choose one : either he discards them, or he puts them back on top in an order you choose.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 07, 2013, 11:51:54 am »

Action - $5
+Infinity Cards
+Infinity Actions
+Infinity Buys
+$Infinity

While this is in play, when you gain a card, return it to its pile.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 07, 2013, 11:52:53 am »
+2

Action - $5
+Infinity Cards
+Infinity Actions
+Infinity Buys
+$Infinity

Goons mega turn yeahhhhhhhh

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 07, 2013, 12:04:54 pm »

Action - $5
+Infinity Cards
+Infinity Actions
+Infinity Buys
+$Infinity

Goons mega turn yeahhhhhhhh

Of course, if both players play this and Goons, instant stalemate.

Which infinity though?  Aleph-null?  Aleph-one?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 07, 2013, 12:06:28 pm »
+2

Action - $5
+Infinity Cards
+Infinity Actions
+Infinity Buys
+$Infinity

Procession yeahhhhhhhh

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 282  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.