Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1849266 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #5025 on: October 08, 2017, 06:37:29 pm »

Librarian Strike

I misread this and now I know a little bit more about Liberia.

I'm pretty sure you know less now.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: October 08, 2017, 06:49:25 pm »
+1

I like the idea behind the brutal events. I think they might have some balancing and rules issues.

Brutal Ritual
Event - Brutal - $5
All other players gain a Curse. If they do, they reveal their hand, and trash a card from their hand that you choose. Each player who did gain +1VP per $1 it cost.
Cool, I get to Cutpurse you, then turn the Copper into a Curse. Or I can sabotage your deck but give you a non-trivial amount of VP in compensation. I guess if I'm happy to swindle your 5'ers into Duchies, I might be happy turning them into 4-point duchies as well, given that I get to also Pillage your hand.

I think "if they do" should be "Each player who does reveals their hand [...]", unless of course it's intentional that I deal out the last n-1 curses to each player except the one on my right, without trashing anything.

Brutal Advance
Event - Brutal - $1
All other players reveal their hand, and trash an Action card from their hand that you choose. Each player who did gains an Action card costing up to $6 that you choose
For $1 I get to turn your King's Court into a Scout? That's crazy :o

I guess we're playing Big Money this game.

Brutal Delve
Event - Brutal -  $3
+Buy
All other players gain a Silver
Seems quite strong with Bandit Fort and maybe Wall, but rather meh otherwise.

Brutal Banquet
Event - Brutal - $4
All other players gain two Coppers and a Non-Victory card costing up to $5 that you choose.
Mountebank costs $5 to buy and gives +$2 when played. This costs $4 and a buy per "play", can't be blocked and gives out an extra Copper. And Mountebank is already very strong. This seems br0ken.

Brutal Wedding
Event - Brutal - $5
All other players gain a Gold, +1VP, and take 3 debt
Could debt-pinning someone work?

I could see buying this when I make an otherwise-PPR play. Once again, nice with Bandit Fort.

Outside of a few niche situations, meh, I'm not sure I would buy this.

Brutal Dominate
Event - Brutal - $15
Gain a Province. If you do, +9VP. Perform the instructions of a random Brutal effect (including those not in the kingdom).
You should probably specify that the random effect is chosen with a uniform distribution.

Brutal Torturer
Action - Attack - $6
+3 Cards
All other players choose a Brutal Event whose instructions you perform (Brutal events not in in the kingdom can be chosen).
Do they choose one each? In a 4p game, each opponent gains 3 silver (for example)? Do they vote for a single event?!?

Anyways, free silver doesn't seem like a too oppressive "attack". I think I prefer Smithy.

Brutal Summon
Event - Brutal - $6
All other players gain an Action card costing up to $4 that you choose (choose once for all players). At the start of their next turn, they play the set aside card. Until it finishes resolving, you can see all cards they can and make all decisions for them.
:o Brutal Summon a Steward, on your turn I call your Ratcatcher to trash one of your Provinces, then Guide your hand, use your duration Dungeon to make it hard for you to kick off, then Steward-trash two provinces. (All of this happens at the start of your turn, and I decide on your behalf which one you do next.)

Suppose Alice buys Brutal Summon on her turn and Bob buys it on his turn, then on Carol's turn both Alice and Bob decide which start-of-turn event to activate next, until either Alice's or Bob's summon has been resolved (in which case the other person unilaterally decides). Suppose Alice and Bob disagree, what happens?

If I Brutal Summon a Steward and Alice gains the last one, do I make all of Bob's decisions until the Steward he didn't gain resolves, i.e. forever? I think there should be words limiting the Posession-effect to those who gained a copy of the card. Maybe you should also copy Posession's trash-becomes-set-aside clause?

This looks like it has some rules issues left to work out.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: October 08, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »
+1

There is a reason I posted Brutal Events in the RBCI thread.

Sadly, I left out Brutal Scouting Party which, along with Brutal Ritual, were my source of inspiration. I limited the Brutal Events to Empires and promo.

Sometimes it feels like you are attacking yourself by buying Ritual and Scouting Party.

Edit: I didn't intend Brutal Banquet to let you choose Copper or Curse. That should at least be limited to cards costing more that $0.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:49:47 pm by markusin »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: October 08, 2017, 08:02:31 pm »

Some ideas on Brutal Event balance.

Let the other players make the choices. So, Brutal Advance lets the other player choose what card to gain (so a discard attack with a drawback). Same with Brutal Banquet. Brutal Ritual can give the opponent the choice of what to trash, and you hope they don't have a VP card in their starting hand. Brutal Summon can omit the Possession aspect.

The idea of Brutal Events is to take the situationally good events that can often be harmful instead and force them on your opponent.

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: October 08, 2017, 08:56:04 pm »
+1

Librarian Strike
Event
Cost: $10

Shuffle the Supply into a single pile.  Redistribute this pile face down into 16 Supply piles, and then turn these piles face up  (so that you don't know what's under the top card of each).

So the game ends because the Province pile empties momentarily.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: October 08, 2017, 09:01:59 pm »
+1

Librarian Strike
Event

Shuffle the Supply into a single pile.  Redistribute this pile face down into 16 Supply piles, and then turn these piles face up  (so that you don't know what's under the top card of each).

No it doesn't, because the Province pile has to be empty at the end of a turn to end the game, not just in the middle of the turn...

...but wait, after buying Librarian Strike, how do you decide which pile is the Province pile? Do you just, like, designate one?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: October 08, 2017, 11:25:14 pm »
+2

Librarian Strike

I misread this and now I know a little bit more about Liberia.

I'm pretty sure you know less now.

I knew nothing about it before, and assuming that "Liberian strike" was some weird reference, I looked the country up on Wikipedia to understand where it came from. No regrets.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: October 09, 2017, 01:06:39 am »

Librarian Strike
Event

No it doesn't, because the Province pile has to be empty at the end of a turn to end the game, not just in the middle of the turn...

...but wait, after buying Librarian Strike, how do you decide which pile is the Province pile? Do you just, like, designate one?

There is no Province pile at this point.  The Supply now consists of 16 Supply piles, none of which are empty (unless there are fewer than 16 cards left in the Supply).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:37:15 am by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: October 09, 2017, 01:35:18 am »

The idea is that when librarians go on strike, everything gets completely out of order and no one is keeping track of what belongs where, so...

Ok, fine, no one liked my actual card idea, so I'll do this one...

Liberian Strike
Action-Duration
Cost: $5

At the end of your next turn, gain a Harem from the Harem pile if you did not play an Attack card that turn.
While this is in play, whenever a player plays an Attack card, that player's Harems fail to produce $2 for the rest of the turn.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:34:19 pm by Minotaur »

Puk

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Puk
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: October 09, 2017, 01:06:58 pm »
+2

Bully - $6
Reaction

When somebody gains a province, you may reveal this from your hand to gain that province.
Discard this card.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: October 09, 2017, 02:52:34 pm »
+1

Liberian Strike
Action-Duration

At the end of your next turn, gain a Harem from the Harem pile if you did not play an Attack card that turn.
While this is in play, whenever a player plays an Attack card, that player's Harems fail to produce $2 for the rest of the turn.

As a Liberia expert, this makes no sense to me.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: October 09, 2017, 02:59:00 pm »
+2

Liberian Strike
Action-Duration

As a Liberia expert, this makes no sense to me.

* Actual events may vary drastically from what I can stitch together using existing Dominion cards and game mechanics.  Results may fail to impress recently-graduated Liberia experts.

CPiGuy

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: CPiGuy
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: October 10, 2017, 02:22:08 am »

Tactical Outpost
Action-Duration, $10
Discard your hand. If you discarded any cards, take another turn after this one, and at the start of that turn, +5 Cards, +1 Action, and +1 Buy.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: October 10, 2017, 05:22:42 pm »
+5

Jack, master salvager
$4 — Action
Trash any number of non-treasure cards from your hand.

Jack, master scavenger
$4 — Action
Look at the top card of your deck. You may discard it. You may repeat this any number of times.

Jack, master minter
$4 — Action
Gain any number of silvers.

Jack, master librarian
$4 — Action
Draw cards until you have 5 cards in hand. Repeat this any number of times.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:20:01 pm by jonaskoelker »

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: October 10, 2017, 05:49:35 pm »

The idea of Brutal Events is to take the situationally good events that can often be harmful instead and force them on your opponent.
Huh, it looked to me like the idea was to take events that are almost exclusively good (though not always worth the opportunity cost) and turn them into attacks by making the affected players "make" bad choices.

Some ideas on Brutal Event balance. Let the other players make the choices.
But... but... but this is RBCI ;D

More seriously, I like the idea of having attacks that are identical to beneficial effects, except for who makes the choices. They are probably hard to balance when they have the form I like, though. Brutal Ritual on Overlord seems pretty harsh. Brutal Trade seems bonkers mad. Brutal Quest, choosing "discard six cards" and typically not giving a gold. Brutal Donate. Less bonkers, Brutal <token-placing-event>, letting you place anyone's token (including your own). Though I suspect moving people's +action token around can break their Smithy engine pretty badly. Also, with Brutal Inheritance I guess your Estates become Scouts while mine become Throne Rooms :)

Maybe Brutal Borrow, Brutal Save and Brutal Alms could be balanced, although having to pay $1 for Brutal Alms with no treasures limits it somewhat.

Also, I very much like the incoherently overlapping possessions created by Brutal Summon! Here I thought Storyteller/Crown was a rules question goldmine ;-)

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5040 on: October 10, 2017, 07:18:45 pm »
+5

Scoutpost
$5 — Action
+1 Action
If this is the first time you played a Scoutpost this turn, and the previous turn wasn't yours, then take an extra turn after this one.
For your next hand, reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards into your hand. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.

Mote
$0 — Action — Reaction
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand.

Knights Templar
$5 — Action — Attack — Knight
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes 1 to 3 differently named among those which cost from $3 to $6, and discards the rest.

Oracle
$3 — Action
Reveal your hand. Play all your treasures. Pay all your $. SELECT a card from your hand, DROP it onto the TABLE and play it. Gain an UPGRADE.

Steal
<8> — Event
Gain any number of cards from the trash.

The IRS
$4 — Action — Attack
Trash a copper from your hand.
Gain a Silver onto your deck.
Each opponent discards a Copper (or reveals a hand with no Copper).
Each opponent puts a victory card from their hand onto their deck (or reveals a hand with no victory cards).
Put <2> on a supply pile.

Illiterate
$3 — Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one costing 2 or less. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest.

Mirage
$3 — Action
+1 Action
+1 Card
Discard a card

Royal Miscarriage
$5 — Action — Reserve
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.

Bridge to Nowhere
$4 — Action
-$1
+1 buy
Cards cost $1 more this turn.

Port Wine Merchant
$7 — Action
+2 actions
+1 card
+$4
+1 buy
Put this on your tavern mat.
---
At the end of your Buy phase, if you have at least $2 unspent, you may discard this from your Tavern mat.
When you buy this, gain a Port Wine Merchant.
You can't buy this if you have any Copper in play.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: October 10, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »

Scoutpost might actually be almost ok.  Seems $4 to me?  Use case kind of overlaps with Guide, but it doesn't end up sitting on your Tavern mat sighing at sort-of-average hands for three shuffles.  I'd probably buy one of them at $4.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: October 10, 2017, 07:50:33 pm »
+1

Guideposts
Action-Reserve

+1 Action
Find religion
-------------------
You may Call this at the start of your turn.  If you do:
  Discard your hand.  Take an extra turn after this one, for which you draw three cards for your starting hand.

Note:  Pretty bad generally, but the unlimited extra turns could combo with Caravan+Tactician or whatever.  RBCI to the max...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:53:22 pm by Minotaur »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: October 10, 2017, 09:29:50 pm »

Guideposts
Action-Reserve

+1 Action
Find religion
-------------------
  Discard your hand.  Take an extra turn after this one, for which you draw three cards for your starting hand.

Note:  Pretty bad generally, but the unlimited extra turns could combo with Caravan+Tactician or whatever.  RBCI to the max...

You can call two of these you get two extra turns. If you can play both again on the first of these extra turns, you can use that turn's economy to buy something and still repeat the cycle for unlimited turns.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: October 10, 2017, 09:48:55 pm »

Guideposts
Action-Reserve

+1 Action
Find religion
-------------------

You can call two of these you get two extra turns. If you can play both again on the first of these extra turns, you can use that turn's economy to buy something and still repeat the cycle for unlimited turns.

I probably should've included an "if you discard any cards" clause, which would still be abuseable with Caravan.  But yes.  It gets easier the more of them you call at once.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: October 11, 2017, 02:02:25 pm »
+2

Henchman
$4 — Action — Attack
+1 Action
+$2

Lackey
$4 — Action — Attack
+1 Action
Every player discards their hand, then draws 4 cards.

Overseer
$2 — Action
+$2

Custodian
$2 — Action
+2 Cards

Caretaker
$2 — Action
Trash 2 cards from your hand.

Aristocrat
$5 — Action — Victory
+2 Actions
Worth 2 VP

Lord
$5 — Action — Victory
+3 Cards
Worth 2 VP

Also Indigenous/Aboriginal Village, Resource Extracting Village (action costing $3: +2A/+1C/+$2, trash this) vs. (plain old) Village, Sea Robber vs. Loot Spender, Sibyl/Augur (Oracle), Saffron Seller and Vanilla Vendor, Hoarder/Spendthrift (Miser).

Grand Pawn
$6 — Action
Choose any three: +1 card, +1 action, +$1, +1 buy. The choices don't have to be different.

(seems pricey at $6 and strictly better than Laboratory at any lower price.)

Scoutpost might actually be almost ok.
Given that this in RBCI, I take that as criticism of my work. What could I have done better? :P

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: October 11, 2017, 04:51:51 pm »

Grand Pawn could cost $4 or $5 and fail to work with Copper in some way.  Or it could cost <6> or whatever.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: October 11, 2017, 04:58:46 pm »
+7

Band of Advisors
Cost: $2
Action

Play this as if it were an Action in the supply costing at least $3 of the player to your left's choice.  This is that card until this leaves play.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:04:46 pm by Minotaur »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: October 11, 2017, 05:29:47 pm »
+3

Band of Advisors
Action

Play this as if it were an Action in the supply costing at least $3 of the player to you left's choice.  This is that card until this leaves play.

also known as "underlord"

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: October 12, 2017, 04:02:11 am »

Band of Advisors
Action

Play this as if it were an Action in the supply costing at least $3 of the player to you left's choice.  This is that card until this leaves play.

also known as "underlord"

or "middle management"
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 282  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.