Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1859506 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #3575 on: May 15, 2015, 10:14:06 am »

If I had a nickel for every time i wished that i had named myself edge case edward on these forums...

...Wishing Well would be OP.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: May 15, 2015, 10:53:53 am »

If I had a nickel for every time i wished that i had named myself edge case edward on these forums...

You'd be poor?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: May 15, 2015, 10:55:14 am »
+5

He'd gain a Silver.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: May 15, 2015, 11:20:59 pm »

He'd gain a Silver.

Unless he's possessed.
*takes a Nickel*

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: May 16, 2015, 03:25:21 am »

What happens when you play army of misfits as army of misfits?
You can play it as any Action card that exists in Dominion that you choose.

I was going to say "the same thing that happens when you reveal Trader when you would gain a Silver"

It acts as a Blue Dog while it's in play?

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: May 16, 2015, 09:23:11 am »
+5

Magical creatures edition!
Brownie
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Card, +1 Action. You may turn your Journey token over (it starts face-up). If you do and it is face-down, +$1.

Gnome
+1 Action, +$1. You may spend all your $. If you do, gain any number of cards with a total cost up to the amount of $ spent, each of which costs at least $1, putting them on top of your deck in any order.
While this is in play, Actions cost $1 less.

Nymph
Types: Action, Attack, Duration
Gain a card costing up to $3. Until your next turn, the first Treasure each other player plays costing $2 or more he trashes. At the start of your turn, you may gain a card trashed this way.

Elf
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $3
+$3. Return this to the Supply. Each other player gains a Copper, putting it into his hand.

Griffon
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face-up). If it is face-up, choose two: +3 Cards; or +3 Actions; or trash up to 3 cards from your hand; or Gain a Gold and put your deck into your discard pile (the choices must be different).

Imp
Types: Action, Duration
+2 Cards. You may discard 3 cards. If you do, at the start of your next turn, play this.

Kobold
Types: Action, Reserve
Put this on your Tavern mat.
At the start of your turn, you may call this. If you do, +1 Card for each card you have in play.

Wisp
+3 Cards. Put each other player's +1 Card token on an Action Supply pile of your choice.

Leprechaun
Cost: $4
Trash this. Gain a Gold. Each other player may place his +$1 token on an Action Supply pile.

Mermaid
Now and at the start of your next turn, +$2 and put a card from your hand on the bottom of your deck.
While this is in play, when you gain a card you may put it on the bottom of your deck.

Pixie
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face-up). If it is face-up, each other player gains a Curse. Otherwise, +$1.

Succubus
Types: Action, Duration, Attack
+2 Cards. Until your next turn, when another player would gain a card costing $5 or $6, you may trash this. If you do, you gain the card instead and he may gain a card costing less than it.

Banshee
Types: Action, Reserve
Cost: $5
+$3. Put this on your Tavern mat.
When another player gains or trashes a Victory card, you may call this. If you do, each other player gains a Curse.

Dwarf
+3 Cards. Now and at the start of your next turn, you may choose one: Trash a card from your hand; or gain a Copper from the trash, putting it into your hand.

Goblin Army
+$5. Discard your hand. Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand and takes his -1 Card token.

Lich
Now and at the start of your next turn, choose one: Trash a card costing up to $6 from your hand and put 2 copies of the card from the Supply into the trash; or gain 2 cards from the trash, each costing from $3 to $6.

Werewolf
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face-up). If it is face-up, each other player with at least 5 cards in hand reveals his hand and discards a card that you choose. Otherwise, gain 2 Silvers, putting them into your hand.

Dragon
Cost: $6
+$2. Each other player discards the top card of his deck. He trashes it if it costs from $3 to $6. If a card trashed this way costs $6 or more, trash this. You may gain a card trashed this way costing less than this.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: May 16, 2015, 07:03:25 pm »
+5

These are not RBCIs by any stretch.  A few might be slightly game-breaking or unstable power-wise, but all of them are at least interesting and communicate themes very well.  I bet you'd have gotten more upvotes if this were broken up a bit, because textwalls scare people...  Anyway, I encourage people to give it a read.  There's even a Pearl Diver synergy in there (though it's still questionable whether you'd want Pearl Diver even then...).
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: May 16, 2015, 07:31:01 pm »
+1

I agree with Minotaur (why is there no minotaur card here? -if I were him, I'd be insulted). These don't belong in the bad ideas thread.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: May 16, 2015, 08:52:08 pm »

I had some monster-themed cards a while ago, but most of them needed more work.  Only a couple were close to where they needed to be, quality-wise.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: May 16, 2015, 09:13:20 pm »

I agree with Minotaur (why is there no minotaur card here? -if I were him, I'd be insulted). These don't belong in the bad ideas thread.
Eh, I just haven't tested them, have no intent to do so (since they aren't particularly unique), and probably have some awful ideas in there.
I think Kobold is probably a really bad idea.
Brownie is a non-terminal Journey token reset which is probably a bad idea considering how ludicrous the triggered effects on all the other Journey token cards are.
All the interwoven swing of Lich, especially in multiplayer would probably make it totally unfun.
Nymph, Dragon, and Succubus all take cards directly from players and at least two of them would probably single-handedly make games miserable.
Banshee makes for an annoying floodgate of postponed Curses and probably favors a 5\2 split way too much.
Gnome takes a lot of words, has some pretty complicated interactions with costs, and varies too much in power on how easy virtual coins are to come by.
The others are possibly okay. Imp probably compares too poorly to Gear, even with its infinite looping. As a set there are too many Attacks and only 2 non-terminal cards with 1 splitter, so that would need fixing.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: May 17, 2015, 08:55:44 am »
+2

Fragasnap, I agree with the other guys there are some good ideas, or at least not bad enough to belong here. Reading these wasn't particularly fun, either, so I stopped, sorry. Just a remark on Leprechaun because it seems to me that you ridiculously nerfed the card without even noticing it's totally unnecessary.
Leprechaun
Trash this. Gain a Gold. Each other player may place his +$1 token on an Action Supply pile.
"Trash this. Gain a Gold." would already be fine at $4. Do you realise how huge it is to be able to place your +$1 token on a pile for free? With this nerf, Leprechaun is so bad it should cost $1 and even then, I would probably never buy it. Or am I totally mistaken here??

Here's something fun and stupid:

Reverse Mandarin, $5, Action
Deck your of top on hand your from card a put. 3$+
Order any in deck your of top on play in have you Treasures all put, this gain you when.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: May 17, 2015, 01:07:15 pm »
+4

Reverse Mandarin, $5, Action
Deck your of top on hand your from card a put. 3$+
Order any in deck your of top on play in have you Treasures all put, this gain you when.

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: May 17, 2015, 01:14:27 pm »

Reverse Village, $3, Action

Card 1+
Actions 2+
Gender happened.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: May 17, 2015, 01:35:11 pm »
+2

Yoda
Cost: $6

You may play a card from your hand, performing each sentence in reverse order.

If any terms are undefined, you may choose a word, player, or card which would otherwise make sense (e.g., Mine says "gain a Treasure card costing up to $3 more {than whatever you want to go here}" is amazingly open-ended).  Hanging "otherwise" statements can be resolved as the player chooses (e.g., Explorer can gain no cards, or it can gain a Silver and a Gold in hand, and then you may reveal a Province if you'd like).  An "it" following a sentence with more than one thing is also your choice (e.g., Bishop allows other players to trash, and then you may pick the most expensive of those and gain VP from it).  Saboteur's "he trashes that card" can refer to any card in that player's hand or deck, but you do not get to look at them first.

(Some other stuff too, this is basically going to have a 30-page rule book entry.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:41:13 pm by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: May 17, 2015, 01:46:31 pm »

lolol Procession... Gain an Action card (costing exactly $1 more than whatever) and then trash it, and then Throne Room something in your hand.  At least Watchtower can save the gained card... Otherwise, it's just a Throne Room that burns piles.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3590 on: May 17, 2015, 01:58:20 pm »

Saboteur's "he trashes that card" can refer to any card in that player's hand or deck, but you do not get to look at them first.

What about Possession's "Any cards he would gain on that turn, you gain instead; any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at end of turn"?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: May 17, 2015, 02:18:06 pm »

Saboteur's "he trashes that card" can refer to any card in that player's hand or deck, but you do not get to look at them first.

What about Possession's "Any cards he would gain on that turn, you gain instead; any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at end of turn"?

I think you can pick any future turn belonging to any player in the game.  The semicolon I would interpret as keeping this pair together as is.

And of course, the line after it says that the player takes a turn after this one, and you make their decisions, which could include Chapeling 4 Provinces, but so it goes.  If you wanted to play it as a forced trashing attack, then you would have to choose in "line one" a different turn, perhaps for the same player, or perhaps not.  EDIT: The card doesn't know about the extra turn yet, so you can't choose to affect that turn.  You necessarily have the choice-stealing on the extra turn, and the card-stealing and trash-stopping on a totally different later turn.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:22:03 pm by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: May 17, 2015, 02:23:22 pm »
+1

Basically, you can trash their deck if they own trashers, but they get to buy you the Curse and Scout piles on their real turn, unless you choose to steal their gains for Turn 9001.

I don't think I want to be making rulings on this for the next 5 pages.  I would gain a Silver...

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: May 17, 2015, 04:09:54 pm »

Band of Scouts

+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal 4 cards which are not Victory cards.  Put the Victory cards in your hand, and put the rest back on your deck in any order.

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: May 17, 2015, 06:18:49 pm »

Band of Bands
Action $6
Play this as if it was a Band variant of your choice that costs less than it that you choose. This is that card until it leaves play.
Gender happened.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: May 17, 2015, 09:31:23 pm »

Band of Misfit Toys

If there are no action cards in the trash, +1 VP.  Otherwise, play this card as if it were a copy of an Action card in the trash.  It is that card until it leaves play.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: May 17, 2015, 09:40:18 pm »

Illusionist
Action-Reserve

+$1
Put this on your Tavern mat.

------------------------------

You may Call this card at any time during any player's turn.  When you do, place any number of cards from your hand on top of your deck and gain an equal number of cards, setting them aside face up.  For the rest of this turn, you may "reveal" a face-up set aside card as if it were in your hand, and you may "trash" or "discard" a face-up set aside card by turning it face down.  At the end of this turn, return the set aside cards to the supply and draw an equal number of cards.

At the start of your next turn, +$1.

EDIT:  Ok, so I have to somehow stop this from gaining 5 Caravan Guards and drawing 5 extra cards when someone else plays an attack.  Hmmm...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:42:59 pm by Minotaur »

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: May 17, 2015, 09:46:53 pm »
+1

Reverse! - Event $6

At the end of your turn, play order goes in the opposite direction.

This event would take up a large space in the rulebook about Possession, Masquerade, Outpost, etc.
removed by user

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: May 17, 2015, 09:48:23 pm »

I can't think of a scenario where that would be useful aside from very contrived edge cases where the benefit is very small... yet it costs 6.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: May 17, 2015, 09:52:11 pm »
+3

Reverse is a bit more reliable here than in Uno.  You could play very political with it...
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 282  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.