Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Survivor Mafia: Heroes vs Villains  (Read 2338 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Survivor Mafia: Heroes vs Villains
« on: July 02, 2014, 02:10:45 pm »

Note - I'm NOT running this setup. I don't have the time. However I've been reading through old QT's, and I came across this creation from forever ago. I thought I would share it with you all, and I hope that it DOES get picked up and run by somebody! I certainly think it would be a really fun and unique game. The only other person that has seen this setup, is Voltgloss, right before he went MIA this most recent time.

Quote from: Galzria
Players:

Tribe Jotheonah

Tribe Cayvie

- This game is designed for 16 Players. There will be 12 Heroes, and 4 Villains. There will be 8 players in each Tribe, consisting of 6 Heroes, and 2 Villains.
- This game is "nightless".
- The Villains have no night kill.
- This game contains no PR's, however the two Villains in each Tribe will be granted day-chat.
- The two tribes will play simultaneously. Each will be given a 7 day deadline to complete Tribal Council and cut a player from their Tribe. If one Tribe finishes before the other Tribe, they will enter "Night", which will last until the other Tribe completes their own Tribal Council. At this point, each Tribe will again attend a 7-day deadline Tribal Council.
- Plurality Rules. The player with the most votes at deadline is removed from the game. If two players are tied, each is asked to make a single post defending why they should remain in the game. Every other player in the Tribe shall then secretly (via PM) cast their vote once more for one tied player. Majority Rules. If the vote ends in a tie once again, each player shall pick a number between 1 and 100. A /roll shall be performed, with the player coming the closest to the rolled number remaining in the game.
- During the first three Tribal Councils, each Tribe shall receive the Alignment of the cut player upon removal from the game.
- After each Tribe has cut 3 Players, the remaining 10 will join together to form a single Tribe.

Tribe eHalcyon:

- The new Tribe's first Tribal Council shall have a deadline of 7 days, however all subsequent Council's shall have a deadline of 4 days.
- At the first Council, the Alignment of the cut player shall be revealed.
- Once the Tribe is down to it's final 9 members, no other player Alignment shall be revealed. Instead, each cut player is NOT removed from the game, but instead becomes a part of the Jury.
- Play continues until the Tribe is down to it's final two members (7 members on the Jury). At this point, the two remaining players are banned from speaking, and the 7 Jury members will have a single, 7 day Tribal Council in which to decide who shall win. Each of the 7 members of the Jury may PM the mod a single question that they wish to be answered by both remaining players. These 7 questions will be forwarded to the remaining two players, who may each PM their answer back to the mod, who will in turn provide all questions and answers to the entire Jury.
- On the final day, the Jurors are voting to decide who WINS, not who gets cut.

IF the winning player is a Villain, all Villain's win. If the winning player is a Hero, all Hero's win.

Notes:

- All Villain QT's are locked during the final Tribal Council.
- The two Villains from each Tribe will NOT be made aware of the identity of the Villains from the other Tribe - either at the start of the game, or at Tribal Merge.
- Unless this game is run by QT, each Tribe will have full access to the events of the other Tribe. This is unfortunate, but not damning. No Tribe member may post in the Tribe for which they do not belong.
- This setup COULD be expanded to contain PR's. It's a new format, and as such my intention is to run it as a pure Vanilla game.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:14:53 pm by Galzria »
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor Mafia: Heroes vs Villains
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 02:16:10 pm »

Another thought I had on the setup if it was enjoyed...:

Quote from: Galzria
An interesting thematic twist that I might consider if this played well, is that each player is a 1-shot neighbourizer. Public announcement required or not... not sure. But it would add a lot of fun ways to make personal reads and form "Alliances".

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 03:34:00 pm »

That's... pretty neat.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:58:47 pm »

Well I've personally never been more in.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:14:55 pm »

Yeah I might break my mafia retirement for this...
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:41:18 pm »

I could possibly be down to run this, though I think for something in this format we'd want the individual tribes to be in QTs (with spectators having access to both).  Once they've merged the game could play in the main thread, though.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 06:53:56 pm »

I could possibly be down to run this, though I think for something in this format we'd want the individual tribes to be in QTs (with spectators having access to both).  Once they've merged the game could play in the main thread, though.

I don't think that it would be necessary to have individual tribe QTs before the merge.  I don't really see the need for hyper-secrecy.

For the jurors:  Are they basically tree-stumped or will they be given a jury QT to talk things over while the final players are being eliminated and then transfer their discussion to the main thread for the final decision?
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:00:17 pm »

Would the game be called if all the villains die, even if people may not be aware of this? (ie if all four villains end up on the Jury or something)

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 07:02:56 pm »

- During the first three Tribal Councils, each Tribe shall receive the Alignment of the cut player upon removal from the game.

- Once the Tribe is down to it's final 9 members, no other player Alignment shall be revealed. Instead, each cut player is NOT removed from the game, but instead becomes a part of the Jury.

We know alignments up until players start getting put onto the jury, so I would assume if all 4 villains were cut it would be an auto-win
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 07:04:40 pm »

We know alignments up until players start getting put onto the jury, so I would assume if all 4 villains were cut it would be an auto-win

but yeah
if all four villains end up on the Jury

it would be kind of pointless to continue

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »

It would be up to the discretion of the mod. The thought process behind the design was that because neither "scum" team is aware of the members on the other "scum" team, they may not even be aware themselves when the game is "actually" unwinnable, and thus it could be entertaining to watch how they influence an outcome that, in the end, doesn't matter.

Of course, they could potentially be arguing for a Hero, instead of their partner without even realizing it!

I left the design space a little ambiguous on purpose. Yes, the game could technically be won by then, but the "gamesmanship" may not yet be. Plus, it's well designed to support multiple factions in a way that I think many Mafia games struggle with (both as multiple teams, or an "individual" faction).

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 08:23:45 pm »

On the other hand, if all Villains are removed before Jury, there's really no reason at all to continue. Heroes would be declared the winners.

Mafia Record:

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 12:04:47 am »

Hi Galz!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 04:50:23 am »

I think that as it is, Villains are too weak. 4 out of 16 and they don't have a nightkill, let alone know who all of their partners are? Not sure if 6 Villains isn't too much, maybe 5 would be the sweet spot, with a 2/3 distribution to the tribes.

Other than that, I think this game is just too slow-paced to be interestng to me. It is designed specifically to cntinue right until the end, so that's 3 tribe Day plus 8 unified Days, so 11 Days and 11*7=77 real-life days. And if after some point no new information is issued, I think the game could very easily stall.

The idea is neat, but it needs some refinement to attract my attention.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 01:56:28 pm »

I think that as it is, Villains are too weak. 4 out of 16 and they don't have a nightkill, let alone know who all of their partners are? Not sure if 6 Villains isn't too much, maybe 5 would be the sweet spot, with a 2/3 distribution to the tribes.

Other than that, I think this game is just too slow-paced to be interestng to me. It is designed specifically to cntinue right until the end, so that's 3 tribe Day plus 8 unified Days, so 11 Days and 11*7=77 real-life days. And if after some point no new information is issued, I think the game could very easily stall.

The idea is neat, but it needs some refinement to attract my attention.

While it's true that they have no night kill, you're still losing 2 players per game phase in the first 3 days - no different pacing than if there was one lynch + one night kill. Granted, they don't control one uncontested, but that's a balancing concern, not so much a pacing one.

In a 9 player, 2 scum game, scum is expected to survive 3 lynches on average to win. Here, that moves them on to the second stage. And because in each individual tribe no nk's exist, there are more candidates 'per day' for scum to get mislynched - so it's not as tight down to the wire.

Further, a 9 player / 2 scum game vanilla isn't considered unbalanced for scum (that is, they aren't seen to have a disadvantage) - here it's 8 player / 2 scum, AND the scum have daychat, so I would be really surprised if they need a natural boost. More mislynch targets per day + daychat should keep it balanced.

Lastly, for game length, that is the maximum it could go. If players are voted out sooner, it goes faster. After the merge, deadlines are cut short for the express purpose of combating a stall.

Yes, there's no new information to be garnered after you're down to 9 - but this isn't strictly a mafia game. That's a large part of the hybrid quality. Whatever faction you may be, you know your side has a better chance of winning with you in the final 2 than any other random person - so you need to convince others that you should be one of two left, while also picking who you trust. Of course, everybody else is doing the same, and previous game phases and interaction and flips influence that decision. It's not just about randomly removing until 2 are left.

And then of course, even if you make it, your fate is decided by those that are removed to get you there. They've got to examine your entire game in context of what they know to determine your likely faction.

Mafia Record:

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 19 queries.