Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: On Other HBO Shows  (Read 8049 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
On Other HBO Shows
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:34:06 pm »
+1

So since we can't talk about the weekly Game of Thrones episode, I thought I'd start another thread.

The Leftovers pilot, I thought, was really, really good.  I was engaged and intrigued the entire time. (Though my cable messed up  half-way through and the picture/sound cut out and got choppy.  Had to resort to HBO Go.)  The acting was great, especially from Justin Theroux.  Also really happy to see Chistopher Eccleston.  The show felt a bit Lynchian, just not quite so quirky and stylized. 

True Blood could not possibly get worse.  Okay I'm sure I'll be proven wrong.  I thought it couldn't get worse after the last couple of seasons, but they manage to keep on reaching new lows.  The acting is soap-opera bad.  And the writing is just.. well maybe it's the writing that makes the acting seem bad.  Every time they swear (every other line), it's just like the most unnatural and awkward thing I've ever heard.  Was it always this bad?  In the first couple seasons, it didn't seem this way.. of course the material is fantastical and a bid hard to swallow, but in the first couple of seasons, it seemed possible to get engaged into the story line.  Last Sunday I started watching some and kept trying to fast forward.  I continually was disappointed when I couldn't, so I eventually just turned it off.

I hope they get started on another season of True Detective so I can break the lull between The Leftovers (assuming I like the rest of the season, which I think I will) and Game of Thrones.

In non-HBO news, I started watching Orphan Black.  I actually caught the Season 1 Premier when it aired, but I didn't have the opportunity to keep up with it as it was airing, and I finally remembered to go back and watched them.  Watched up through Episode 5, I think.  Really good.  Acting by the main character is great, and the storyline is interesting.  I think Season 2 just finished airing? 

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3234
    • View Profile
Re: On Other HBO Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 06:59:56 pm »

True Blood could not possibly get worse.  Okay I'm sure I'll be proven wrong.  I thought it couldn't get worse after the last couple of seasons, but they manage to keep on reaching new lows.  The acting is soap-opera bad.  And the writing is just.. well maybe it's the writing that makes the acting seem bad.  Every time they swear (every other line), it's just like the most unnatural and awkward thing I've ever heard.  Was it always this bad?  In the first couple seasons, it didn't seem this way.. of course the material is fantastical and a bid hard to swallow, but in the first couple of seasons, it seemed possible to get engaged into the story line.  Last Sunday I started watching some and kept trying to fast forward.  I continually was disappointed when I couldn't, so I eventually just turned it off.

what? what? I thought true blood was extremely consistent. I would get why you dislike season 6, that had some big plot holes. but you say "couple of seasons", so i assume you also meant season 5? man, that's the best season. I could also understand someone disliking it for the violence, or the amount of sex in it, but that has been there since season 1. how can you like season 1 but don't like season 5? ???

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
By the end of the first season, True Blood had a score of 64, indicating generally favorable reviews, on Metacritic, an aggregator of critical responses. The second season received a more favorable score of 74 on Metacritic. The third season's rating on Metacritic has risen to 79, while the fourth season has a rating of 74. The fifth season has a rating of 73. The sixth season has a rating of 56.
yea, that sounds about right. I'd say it's s5>s2>s4>s3>s1>s6. I was wondering if "it has gotten worse" is like an out there opinion, but apparently it's not.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 07:17:44 pm »

what? what? I thought true blood was extremely consistent. I would get why you dislike season 6, that had some big plot holes. but you say "couple of seasons", so i assume you also meant season 5? man, that's the best season. I could also understand someone disliking it for the violence, or the amount of sex in it, but that has been there since season 1. how can you like season 1 but don't like season 5? ???

Well, I admit I don't have which plot is which season directly in my head.  "Couple of seasons" may only mean last season and this one. 

I don't mind violence or sex at all. 

The plot lines and stories weren't so bad, really.. it's more the acting and writing.  Everything Tara says gets on my nerves (so glad she's dead---Why is her mom alive?  Hands down most annoying character on a TV show.  Should have died Season 1.), everything any of the females that work at Merlott's says anything I cringe (including Sookie), even Pam's actress is having trouble delivering lines that don't hurt. 

I mean the ideas seem alright.. ancient vampire coming back to wreck havoc?  Rutger Hauer?  Sounds awesome, but not well executed.  What was Season 5, the Authority?  I think those were alright.. oh, and Chris Meloni, he was awesome.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:26:22 pm »

True Blood is absolutely terrible. It used to be "so bad it's entertaining," now it's just "so bad it's bad."
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 07:33:34 pm »

True Blood is absolutely terrible. It used to be "so bad it's entertaining," now it's just "so bad it's bad."
Relevant XKCD: http://xkcd.com/653/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:35:03 pm »

Well, I admit I don't have which plot is which season directly in my head.  "Couple of seasons" may only mean last season and this one. 
oh well, then that's alright. Although I like season 6 so far.

it's more the acting and writing.  Everything Tara says gets on my nerves (so glad she's dead---Why is her mom alive?  Hands down most annoying character on a TV show.  Should have died Season 1.), everything any of the females that work at Merlott's says anything I cringe (including Sookie), even Pam's actress is having trouble delivering lines that don't hurt.
I find tara's mom hiliarous. I'm not sure how good her acting is, pretty much everyone I know well is an atheist, but it's convincing to me. I agree a little bit on the females, excluding sookie. I love sookie. she's one of the few actors I actually know by name and I even looked specifically for movies she played in once.

I mean the ideas seem alright.. ancient vampire coming back to wreck havoc?  Rutger Hauer?  Sounds awesome, but not well executed.  What was Season 5, the Authority?  I think those were alright.. oh, and Chris Meloni, he was awesome.
yea it was, and yes, he is. roman is easily the best thing true blood has ever done. THIS Is how someone who is several thousand years old would be like. suck that, vampire diaries.

while we're at it, anyone watching that show?

oh man, it bugs me when someone just calls shows that i love terrible. any reasons?

Relevant XKCD: http://xkcd.com/653/
that might actually be pretty accurate.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:56:57 pm »

Hey.  I found the Holiday Special legitimately entertaining. 
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:03:41 pm »
+3

Veep is great. Everyone should watch Veep.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 09:05:09 pm »

Veep IS great. And`100% accurate about DC politics and sociopathy.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 09:37:35 pm »

Hard to give away the title after only one season but TRUE DETECTIVE has tentatively surpassed THE WIRE as my favorite TV drama ever.   

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 09:43:02 pm »

I love how Veep and House of Cards are the same show, except in House of Cards, everyone is competent.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 10:03:22 pm »

Hard to give away the title after only one season but TRUE DETECTIVE has tentatively surpassed THE WIRE as my favorite TV drama ever.

I watched two or three episodes and was hopelessly bored. I really wanted to like it and convinced my roommate to watch. She ended up loving it and watched the rest of the season without me. What am I missing?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 10:04:40 pm »

I'm not motivated to watch Veep.  Not sure why.

Oh, I forgot about Silicon Valley.  Love it.  Hilarious.  Finale had me rolling on the floor.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 10:05:25 pm »
+1

I love how Veep and House of Cards are the same show, except in House of Cards, everyone is competent.

House of Cards is another one I need to watch! As soon as I finish every season of Survivor, maybe.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 10:07:32 pm »

I watched two or three episodes and was hopelessly bored. I really wanted to like it and convinced my roommate to watch. She ended up loving it and watched the rest of the season without me. What am I missing?

God, the storytelling is just so good.  I mean, if you're not compelled you're not, but I loved every second of it.  Every time any character said any thing I was enthralled.

Matthew M. is genius.  Haven't seen him or a Woody Harrison in a better piece.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 10:40:54 pm »

What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is Heroes come again.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 11:39:52 pm »

The Leftovers is getting better and better, I think.  Last Sunday's episode was one of the best, next to the Preacher episode. 

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 05:10:33 am »

Does it have to be just HBO shows? I of course liked True Detective, but found Fargo much better, and actually, to my great surprise have liked Hanniba the most of this years new additions. It's gore (how is this on NBC??), but goddamnit it's great, especially the second season. Highly recommend to anyone who doesn't have an issue with the visuals of the show. All the signs point toward continued excellence for seasons to come.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 08:46:48 am »

But is it as bad as the Gates? That was my guilty pleasure, and I can't say I was disappointed when it was canceled.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:37 am »

Does it have to be just HBO shows? I of course liked True Detective, but found Fargo much better, and actually, to my great surprise have liked Hanniba the most of this years new additions. It's gore (how is this on NBC??), but goddamnit it's great, especially the second season. Highly recommend to anyone who doesn't have an issue with the visuals of the show. All the signs point toward continued excellence for seasons to come.

Well I really made this thread because we used to post in the Song of Ice & Fire thread every Monday about the previous night's show, so I wanted one to keep talking about shows, which don't necessarily have to be on HBO. 

I've only seen parts of episodes of Fargo, but it looks good.. I have to go watch it from the beginning.

Hannibal is amazing.  They are able to get away with showing so much (Mason Verger!!) because they took a 10PM Friday night slot.  I heard they specifically requested it so they would be less restricted. 

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 04:06:48 pm »

I don't watch Hannibal, but I did watch both Fargo and True Detective. It's impossible not to compare them, since they were so similar. I liked True Detective better throughout, but was REALLY disappointed in the ending, which in no way, shape, or form, successfully wrapped up what came before it. This was a significant disappointment, since it was fundamentally a "whodunit" mystery show. Fargo told a much more complete story, I thought.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 04:24:04 pm »

I'm a little surprised by the big disappointment with the td finale. I guess it's because I was never as enamored with it as most people. It was a decent show with two amazing performances, not some kind of Lovecraftian epic. Sure, there were hints here and there, but the final squence was very well-made and completely satisfying to me.

Fargo was way, way better though. Listening to Fargo's soundtrack is better than watching True Detective.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 04:25:30 pm »

By the way, I like Hannibal, but I was very annoyed by the finale.

The reason for that is that I'm pretty sure half the people who "die" in the episode won't actually die, which is one of the things I hate the most about TV.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 12:54:19 am »

So Leftovers tonight..

What I really find interesting was the big "reveal" that was totally background to everything going on in the episode.  The Guilty Remnant ordered those "body double" things of all the departed.  This is why they broke into everyone's house the night of the dance or whatever and stole pictures/clothes/etc.  The pictures were used to get accurate representations of the departed.  They're probably going to sneak in again and set up the body doubles in people's houses, and chaos will ensue. 

Of course, the Patty/Garvey scene was great, and I'm still not sure what to think about it.  At times I thought she was revealing she was nothing more than a standard cult leader, and at other times it seemed like she had some other knowledge or connection.

Also, started watching The Strain.  Solid entertainment.  Kind of a run-of-the-mill Salem's Lot story, but with a modernized and infectious-disease spin.  It goes through a lot of standard horror movie/vampire tropes, but it's still fun to watch.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.