Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Saying gg and leaving  (Read 9816 times)

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
Saying gg and leaving
« on: June 30, 2014, 06:03:07 pm »

I hate when people say gg and immediately leave.

Why do they even say gg when they don't care enough to wait for my gg?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Saying gg and leaving
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:08:42 pm »
+7

ahh, another gg thread.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:18:49 pm »
+6

Just don't worry about gg. It means slightly different things to everyone, so just start from the assumption that your opponent is doing something they intend to be polite. If you waste energy on wishing that everyone would interpret it in exactly the same way you do, you'll just end up less happy.

Unless they're saying "gg nerdshit" or something, which I remember happening once when I was playing Starcraft. Then they're probably trying to be rude, and you can complain if you feel like it although I don't really see the point.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 06:26:46 pm »
+4

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

yed

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:29:10 pm »

Just don't worry about gg. It means slightly different things to everyone, so just start from the assumption that your opponent is doing something they intend to be polite. If you waste energy on wishing that everyone would interpret it in exactly the same way you do, you'll just end up less happy.

Unless they're saying "gg nerdshit" or something, which I remember happening once when I was playing Starcraft. Then they're probably trying to be rude, and you can complain if you feel like it although I don't really see the point.
I know they intended to be polite...
but I feel like when someone on the phone says "bye" and hangs up before I could say "bye" back.

I don't care much. I was more like asking why do the do that.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:56:15 pm »
+2

I don't know why people say gg.  I stopped ever saying that sometime in the early 2000's.

But I do know why people leave.  They're going to play another game or do something else, and they don't care at all to wait around an extra 15 seconds to see if you might type something in chat.  Many people almost never bother to talk in chat, myself included.

My opponent has more loot than me

yed

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:06:19 pm »

I don't know why people say gg.  I stopped ever saying that sometime in the early 2000's.

But I do know why people leave.  They're going to play another game or do something else, and they don't care at all to wait around an extra 15 seconds to see if you might type something in chat.  Many people almost never bother to talk in chat, myself included.

I understand just leaving. If they are in such a hurry, why bother with writing gg?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 07:20:19 pm »
+6

Because it's more rude to leave without saying anything?  I do this all the time.  Type "gg" and leave.  I don't need to see you express your courtesy, I just need to express mine and leave.

By way of analogy, sometimes I say "Thanks" and turn around and leave, without waiting for a "You're welcome".

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 07:21:57 pm »

I understand just leaving. If they are in such a hurry, why bother with writing gg?

I usually write gg, wait a while and then leave. but, i saw a comment come up one time just as I left. Sometimes, in my case, I figure I waited long enough, so I figure the person playing against me won't say anything back.

yed

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 07:31:55 pm »

I usually write gg, wait a while and then leave. but, i saw a comment come up one time just as I left. Sometimes, in my case, I figure I waited long enough, so I figure the person playing against me won't say anything back.

Waiting 2 seconds is enough time. I am talking about leaving right after (during same second as gg).

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 07:53:18 pm »
+3

Because people sometimes say GG as in "ok, you win, I concede" and not as whatever you think they say it as.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 07:55:24 pm »
+4

I was convinced this was going to be a "goodbye forever, forum" sort of thread when I clicked. Happy to be mistaken! ;D
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

uvafan

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 08:20:08 pm »

As a competitive person, when I lose a tough game or lose a game while I'm on a losing streak, I'll often type gg instinctively and even though I usually wait, just leave because I am angry about losing.  It is a bit rude, but in the moment I don't consider that, typing gg has just become instinctual to me after a game.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 08:21:14 pm »
+15

gg is fine.  Why do people even complain about gg?  They can't all just leave.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 09:57:54 am »
+2

This thread is now about trains.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 10:12:32 am »
+4

I've never played it and I really don't feel like it's worth my time.  I've heard it's just a rip-off of Dominion that has been re-themed and given a board for the people who think Dominion's medieval theme is bland.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 10:37:19 am »
+4

If I win a close game then I write gg and leave, not caring whether or not they say it back.

If I lose a close game then I write gg and leave, not caring whether or not they say it back.

If I get killed in a game then I write gg and leave, not caring whether of not they say it back.

If I kill someone like with a big goons turn or torturer chain then I leave WITHOUT writing gg.  This is the only time I will not say gg because it obviously was only a gg for me.

In any game, if someone writes gg before me then I take the time to write gg back.  If the person leaves before I get a chance to write gg, then I leave and play the next game without caring one way or another.

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 12:37:14 pm »
+1

I used to write gg after each game till I read a few of these threads and saw how some folks get upset to read gg after they've lost a game.

Now I only write gg if I've lost a game or someone has written gg first.

Either way I usually wait a moment to see if my opponent writes gg or wants to chat about the game before moving on.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 12:51:17 pm »

I used to write gg after each game till I read a few of these threads and saw how some folks get upset to read gg after they've lost a game.

Now I only write gg if I've lost a game or someone has written gg first.

Either way I usually wait a moment to see if my opponent writes gg or wants to chat about the game before moving on.
Yes, this is what I'm doing and what I would like others to do as well. Though, I don't think it's necessary to wait to see if the opponent wants to chat about the game, unless it was a game that you want to chat about as well.

Although, I'm not offended if you don't say gg — I assume it's still not possible to chat from a tablet, and sometimes I have accidentally clicked the button for leaving the game earlier than I intended so I guess it could happen to others as well. It's just the too early gg that's annoying. Saying gg and leaving feels slightly odd, but I don't find it rude.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 12:53:44 pm »

I hate when people say gg and immediately leave.

Why do they even say gg when they don't care enough to wait for my gg?

what? :c whenever i say "gg" and leave, instead of leaving without it, it either means that I'm in particularly good mood, or that I have exceptional respect for my opponent. it's a compliment!

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 09:47:37 am »

Sometimes it wasn't a very good game but I say good game and then I leave. It makes me feel weird inside.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 08:58:44 pm »
+5

gg, I'm leaving this thread.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 07:35:56 am »

Although they are repetitive, I find the evolution of the gg debates interesting in an academic way. Fwiw, I don't say it on goko bc the chat interface popup is annoying. On iso and bsw i always said it because virtually everyone did.  I imagine that the general decline in gg-saying is due to this and not a change in norms, but that the perceived change in norms may be causing a genuine change in norms (a few years back, the folks who didn't like gg seemed like a small and mostly noobish or provocative minority; now, they seem significant.)

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 11:35:23 pm »

I glhf and gg because it feels to me like bowing before and after a martial arts competition. Honorubu opponentu-san, i sarute you!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 07:42:35 pm »
+3

Although they are repetitive, I find the evolution of the gg debates interesting in an academic way. Fwiw, I don't say it on goko bc the chat interface popup is annoying. On iso and bsw i always said it because virtually everyone did.  I imagine that the general decline in gg-saying is due to this and not a change in norms, but that the perceived change in norms may be causing a genuine change in norms (a few years back, the folks who didn't like gg seemed like a small and mostly noobish or provocative minority; now, they seem significant.)

Using the extension would solve that problem. The chat is on the side.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.