Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: In which Dominion is compared with A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 3917 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
In which Dominion is compared with A Song of Ice and Fire
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:46 am »
+4

http://www.avclub.com/article/beyond-wall-23-entertainments-keep-you-sated-until-205989

The Onion's actual-news-but-only-about-entertainment site suggests 23 things to help Game of Thrones fans get through having neither new TV nor new books for a while.  Dominion is at #9.

"A further Game Of Thrones parallel: The mechanics of Dominion require a lot of explanation up top, though they lack the type of premium-cable nudity that so elegantly spices up Westerosi exposition."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: In which Dominion is compared with A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:37:48 am »
+2

Dang, it's nice that the author likes Dominion, but I would not have recommended it in that context. "Do you love narrative and compelling characters? Then you'll love this fairly abstract strategy game with none of that!" What?

Also, "requires a lot of explanation up top"? Compared to Parcheesi, maybe. It's dead simple compared to most designer card games.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 12:09:53 pm »
+3

When the swordplay and the dragons and the scenery-chewing all fall away, Game Of Thrones is most compelling as the story of how power is wielded, and how even those most capable of commanding influence and authority will inevitably topple. Capturing that notion in 500 lovingly illustrated, medieval-themed playing cards, Donald X. Vaccarino’s compulsively playable Dominion gives wannabe Tywin Lannisters and Daenerys Targaryens their shot at running an imaginary kingdom—with the fate of that kingdom ever bowing to the luck of the draw. Management of the cards is key to victory, because in the game of Dominion, players win (by assembling the deck that contains the cards with the highest total Victory Points) or die (after hanging on to a bunch of point-sapping Curse cards, or sabotaging a deck by hoarding Victory Points at the start of play). A further Game Of Thrones parallel: The mechanics of Dominion require a lot of explanation up top, though they lack the type of premium-cable nudity that so elegantly spices up Westerosi exposition.

wut  :o

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:33:03 pm »
+4

The mechanics of Dominion require a lot of explanation up top, though they lack the type of premium-cable nudity that so elegantly spices up Westerosi exposition.

that sounds to me like the author is calling for all you video makers and streamers to up your game a bit.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 12:35:36 pm »

The mechanics of Dominion require a lot of explanation up top, though they lack the type of premium-cable nudity that so elegantly spices up Westerosi exposition.

that sounds to me like the author is calling for all you video makers and streamers to up your game a bit.

This forum is sadly already enough of a sausage fest, let's not make it even more literal.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:38:47 pm »
+3

Ah! I saw that last night, but forgot to post it today. I'm always on the AV Club. Great, now someone else gets the free +1s.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:03:11 pm »
+9

Ah! I saw that last night, but forgot to post it today. I'm always on the AV Club. Great, now someone else gets the free +1s.

You could always try getting engaged again.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:10:32 pm »
+1

This forum is sadly already enough of a sausage fest, let's not make it even more literal.

So that's a no on a f.ds meetup in Madison? http://bratfest.com/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 03:16:30 pm »

Oh man, Madison would be so convenient for me. I have friends I could stay with and it's only 5 hours away.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 06:40:21 am »

You could always try getting engaged again.

He's doing better than that: he's posting pictures.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 01:11:50 pm »

I had never heard of Bratfest before I moved to Madison, but it's quite a lot of good brats.

I still don't understand cheese curds, though.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.