Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DimOnion highlights  (Read 4401 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
DimOnion highlights
« on: June 25, 2014, 10:08:28 am »

I recently blogged about my DimOnion sets a little.  I picked out the cards which were the most "finished" and also included some interesting ones that need work.  Modern Times has its own forum thread, and it's the biggest set, a sort of self-sufficient parallel Dominion universe which could potentially sustain themed expansions of its own.  The others are struggling to be large enough to be a full expansion, but there are a few fun cards here and there.

Anyway, some of these cards I haven't posted anywhere before, and out of the old stuff, I only picked out ones I felt were worthy of promotion above the others.

Modern Times, http://mtaur.blogspot.com/2014/06/dimonion-modern-times-highlights.html
Halloween, http://mtaur.blogspot.com/2014/06/dimonion-halloween-highlights.html
Flying Circus, http://mtaur.blogspot.com/2014/06/dimonion-flying-circus-preview.html
Star Trek, http://mtaur.blogspot.com/2014/06/dimonion-star-trek.html

Any thoughts?

EDIT:  Printable Modern Times complete card pages here:  http://mtaur.blogspot.com/2014/06/dimonion-modern-times-calling-all.html
Still no transcriptions of the card text, but that's on the agenda for sometime or other, maybe soon.

EDIT:  Ok, I appended them finally: http://mtaur.blogspot.com/2014/06/dimonion-modern-times-calling-all.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:15:07 pm by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: DimOnion highlights
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:55:05 pm »

Card resolution is a bit low when viewing on my iPod. You really should have a text version of the card available for those who cannot read the card images.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 04:08:47 pm »

Card resolution is a bit low when viewing on my iPod. You really should have a text version of the card available for those who cannot read the card images.

Hmmmmmm.  It's easy to forget how resolution changes on the fly aren't always readily available, even more so for phone users.  It's worth addressing, but it would take a pretty long time.  But it would be beneficial to maintain a text file with all the "canonical" card text.  It would just take a long time, and then I'd have to decide where to go back and update web posts.

If I get around to doing that, I'll update the OP and bump.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »

Ok, still no text summaries, but that could take a few hours still.  I made printer-ready (sort of) pages of the complete set with a few alternate versions of a few cards included.  Also some commentary/instructions/whatever.

http://mtaur.blogspot.com/2014/06/dimonion-modern-times-calling-all.html

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:16:25 pm »

Ok, I added a link with the complete card text (for Modern Times only) to the OP.  I don't know how many of you view this forum in low-res devices, but this isn't the first time it's been brought up, so there it is.

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 05:17:34 am »

Just a proposition for Outsource, to make it more clear :  suppress "You may" and the two "if you do". Because if you do not...you don't use the card !

Abel_K

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 05:28:40 am »

I think I'd like very much Vampire... but I must be a bit silly : I don't understand the last period 'each other player chooses one of theese cards'... Why 'these' ? They see only ONE card , no ? Sorry for this ! :)

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 08:02:06 am »

Just a proposition for Outsource, to make it more clear :  suppress "You may" and the two "if you do". Because if you do not...you don't use the card !

You can play the Outsource as an Action card and have it do nothing.  And you are not forced to reveal your hand to prove that you don't have any actions you could have chosen to play.  If you Outsource an Outsource, but are unable to find a target for the second Outsource, then you still get the bonus from the first Outsource.  You *did* play the second Outsource twice - it just whiffed.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 08:06:01 am »

I think I'd like very much Vampire... but I must be a bit silly : I don't understand the last period 'each other player chooses one of theese cards'... Why 'these' ? They see only ONE card , no ? Sorry for this ! :)

Four player game, you play Vampire.  The player across from you Moats it, and the other two are affected.  You draw a card.  The two affected players pass you a card, which you pick up.  You place two cards face down on the table.  The player to your left picks one of the two cards, and the player to your right gets the other.  (You don't get to choose which player gets which card, because that's "too political".)

Abel_K

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 09:06:26 am »

I see. Stupidly I imagined that "to choose" ment "choose a known card". They just choose aleatory. But you're right, that's indispensable. Thanks for those explanations.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:17:35 pm »

I see. Stupidly I imagined that "to choose" ment "choose a known card". They just choose aleatory. But you're right, that's indispensable. Thanks for those explanations.

I have no idea how long you've been playing Dominion, but clearly your forum account is new.  The more you're around Dominion, the more you realize how rules-lawyery the universe is (and has to be).  There are still things I have to check, but generally most of those "rules disambiguation" sheets that come with the sets are consequences of larger rules about how rules work in general.  The longer you stick around, the more you see of this stuff.  One general thing Donald does that is very nice is the "accountability clause" - prevent cheating by making players do something to prove that they're following the rules within the playing out of the action itself.  Cards with excessively "political" uses are sort of discouraged, too, with mild exceptions like Masquerade that tend to even out over time anyway.  The biggest thing that is talked about in the forums and in Donald's head but not in the game box is the "lose track rule", which... I shouldn't try to talk about because I could botch it.

Anyway, it's usually simple, but sometimes it's complicated, and that's why everything is so finnicky, and I've tried my hardest to emulate the word-for-word clarity and intentionality of the writing style.  The set's probably not perfect yet, but I've learned a lot about game design and pseudo-programming language-speak that goes beyond just Dominion.

There's a good chance I have made mistakes, and with Property Insurance in particular, I'm not sure how it works out with other "when you trash X" phenomena, or how it would work if I were to change/fix the wording.  I *think* the way it's written now, though, Property Insurance can "interrupt" other on-trash effects that depend on keeping track of the trashed card, though.  So Job Creator can't pick up a Silver if you rescue it with Property Insurance, but any other cards that were just trashed should be available for the picking.  But technically, the player who plays Job Creator *must* stop and wait after the cards are trashed for Reactions to be played before they can gain one treasure from the trash.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.