Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Governess  (Read 3463 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Governess
« on: June 24, 2014, 03:25:48 pm »

Governess
$1 Action

+2 Actions

Each player gets +1 Card (You get +2 Cards).

The price is mostly a joke to continue the trend of the female version costing substantially less than the male version (Princess/Prince, Duchess/Duke).  What do you think of a card like this?  It would be ridiculous strong without the Council Room effect, which ought to limit the number you are willing to play in your engine.  I'd probably still pick up a few for an engine if I had spare buys and needed the villages.
Well you *do* need a signature...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Re: Governess
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 03:43:53 pm »
+1

donald once tested this card

+1 card
+1 action
each player draws a card

for 2$ and he said it was crazy in games with discard, so he didn't make it. yours is the same thing except with +2 actions instead of +1, so I assume it won't do either

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 03:47:53 pm »

+1 card
+1 action
each player draws a card

for 2$ and he said it was crazy in games with discard, so he didn't make it. yours is the same thing except with +2 actions instead of +1, so I assume it won't do either

Ah, right.  Governess would be insane with Militia.  You could work around that (in 2 player games) by making opponents draw when the Governess is discarded from play, but that feels clunky.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:56:59 pm »
+1

Governor is nuts with discard, too.  I think Governor and Governess both don't cut the mustard for what you expect out of a set card, but meet criteria for a promo card. 

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 06:53:22 am »

What about continuing tradition that most womans in dominion are attacks

governess $3 action-attack
+1 action

Choose one, you do a version in parenthesis:
Each player with three or more cards discards a card (you gain a card); or
each player gains a Copper (Silver);  or each player with five or more cards trashes a card from his
hand and may gain a card costing at most 0 (1) more.

I am not sure how strong here is turning remodel into attack.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:34:44 am »

If everyone plays Governess-Militia, then everyone just discards down to three Governesses anyway...  idk, I can't really predict how this card would work when played well, whatever that means in practice.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:03:20 am »

Governor is nuts with discard, too.  I think Governor and Governess both don't cut the mustard for what you expect out of a set card, but meet criteria for a promo card.

I doubt that governess would be even alright as a promo, but I also disagree that set cards have a higher "quality" then promo cards, if that's what you're implying. Transmute, Scout, Hunting Party, Rebuild, Harvest, Pearl Driver, Scrying Pool and many others are all set cards. what's the worst promo we have? dunno, probably Stash, but stash is completely fine.

i don't know exactly what criteria determine whether a  card is a promo, but looking at black market and governor I'm guessing it's a question of complexity. WV and embassy could easily be set cards though.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:23:47 am »

+1 card
+1 action
each player draws a card

As I look at this card again, it seems odd that Donald would have tested it.  I mean, at face value it helps your opponents just as much as it does you.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 10:31:23 am »

+1 card
+1 action
each player draws a card

As I look at this card again, it seems odd that Donald would have tested it.  I mean, at face value it helps your opponents just as much as it does you.
Maybe your opponents are going for some big money strategy withouy any +buy, while you are building some sort of crazy TfB engine.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 10:32:07 am »

+1 card
+1 action
each player draws a card

true, but he did. I even found the post.

I tried $2, "+1 Card +1 Action, each player draws a card." It's pretty rude with Militias.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:40:08 am »

I doubt that governess would be even alright as a promo, but I also disagree that set cards have a higher "quality" then promo cards, if that's what you're implying. Transmute, Scout, Hunting Party, Rebuild, Harvest, Pearl Driver, Scrying Pool and many others are all set cards. what's the worst promo we have? dunno, probably Stash, but stash is completely fine.

i don't know exactly what criteria determine whether a  card is a promo, but looking at black market and governor I'm guessing it's a question of complexity. WV and embassy could easily be set cards though.
No, I'm not saying set cards are always better quality than promo cards.  From Donald's secret history posts, I get the vibe that he just has different goals for promos and for set cards, and that certain drawbacks are more concerning with set cards versus promos.  Envoy and Walled Village have a lower criteria for "similarity to already released set cards", but Walled Village has a higher criteria for thematicness (dunno about Envoy).  Black Market had the bar lowered for how much complexity is acceptable. 
What Governor had a lower bar for is the acceptable level of dominance, and when you compare it side by side with Lab it's pretty clear that the card is deliberately situated on the strong side.  Governor's interaction with Militia and friends is part of that acceptable dominance, because it's a promo, and if you acquired a Governor you probably wanted to play some Puerto Rico during your Dominion game. 

To be clear, Governess is probably not high quality enough to be a promo card because it's not interesting enough.  Its dominance in discard games isn't what flunks it out, though.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.