Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Is Sage + Treasure Map a thing?  (Read 10808 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Is Sage + Treasure Map a thing?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 02:56:26 pm »

Sage has a more noble calling and you should not concern him with the pursuit of treasure.
We already made that thread.

But they didn't explicitly reference strategy!
Neither did that last post.

"Sage can do better things for you than help you collide Treasure Maps before turn 5".

That's explicit strategy reference.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 03:20:40 pm »
+7

We'll start playing tomorrow at 19:00 UTC+2, I can't promise we'll play them all in one go, a lot will depend on how fast he plays and how soon I'm willing to give up the games that look utterly hopeless. I am going to stream so you're all invited to watch.

We agreed to the following rules: luser opens Treasure Map/Sage on all boards and buys either nothing or a 2nd TM or 2nd Sage on T3 and T4. If he doesn't connect his TMs on T5, I pass all turns without doing anything until he does connect them (which means I'm always playing 5 normal turns as P1 or 4 as P2). During any of these "free" turns (including his T5), he isn't allowed to buy anything unless he doesn't yet have a 2nd TM or a 2nd Sage, in which case he can buy whatever he's missing. Once he connects the TMs, normal play resumes and we're both free to do whatever we want.

We'll play the boards in the order he posted them. I'll host the games and we'll include Shelters and/or Colonies if and only if the logs of the games he posted included them as well. We haven't discussed turn order, so I suggest we leave that up to Goko until one player has been P1 5 times, at which point we'll restart all the remaining games until the other player is P1.

This should be fun!

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 06:13:53 am »

Sage, Wishing Well, Farming Village, Navigator, Noble Brigand, Treasure Map, Apprentice, Bazaar, Contraband, Fairgrounds 90%

Wow! I thought this was a weak board - what did I miss that has a 90% win rate against a T5 Treasure Map collision? Noble Brigand + money seems good against TM, but if you open NB and your opponent does something else it seems like you're in trouble. Maybe some kind of Fairgrounds thing? They can be worth 6 if you get everything but TM and Curse, and it will be hard for a TM player to pile Provinces alone. I guess the key must be Noble Brigand, to take away everything good your opponent has gotten. I did want to buy one of those during my game on this board, but never had a good opportunity. There was one turn where my opponent hit $5 and I was praying he didn't notice the NB opportunity. As it turned out, my next two cards were both Gold, so I'm glad he didn't!

Fairgrounds. There is so much +action available that you don't need to worry about adding any of the cards to your deck. There is contraband for +buy which is fine enough. And there's NB against TM, and of course you don't need to open NB. I'd probably go navigator/silver to get contraband and then assemble something around 1-2 noble brigands per turn.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 01:04:25 pm »
+1

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 07:31:12 pm »

Going live

We played these games, I won 6 of those and treasure map won 7. I proposed this challenge because I did not believed that with 8 card kingdoms there is likely something strong. My comments to games are following.

Poor House, Crossroads, Sage, Baron, Bureaucrat, Treasure Map, Worker's Village, Festival, Mandarin, Tribute

This surprised me most that SCSN won by creating a crossroads/baron engine. I got bit unlucky here and also made several mistakes like trying to use mandarin to smooth my income.

Vineyard, Vagrant, Sage, Urchin, Island, Moneylender, Rats, Treasure Map, Rabble, Harem

With harem and extra gold and rabble-bm looks strong. Other strategy is go for vineyards which is problem as there is no +buy, SCSN tried that as mirroring without gold advantage looks hopeless. I won this one.

Sage, Urchin, Armory, Baron, Bridge, Trader, Treasure Map, City, Knights, Bank, Platinum

As this is strong board with armory/city/bridge combo I would not waste time with treasure maps in real game. As only way to win here looks to get engine going I decided to try continue with knights/urchin and hope that they destroy cities and cause mercenaries miss a reshuffle. It did not work so I lost as expected.

Pawn, Fishing Village, Menagerie, Sage, Woodcutter, JackOfAllTrades, Treasure Map, Counterfeit, Mystic, Rabble

Here my strategy was to use counterfeit to quickly get fishing villages and rabbles. That gave me enough point lead to win a game, I also expected that buying lot of duchies to catch up will block menageries.

Sage, Wishing Well, Farming Village, Navigator, Noble Brigand, Treasure Map, Apprentice, Bazaar, Contraband, Fairgrounds

Here a question is how to deal with fairgrounds. My plan here was to keep game short with apprentice get a point lead and apprentice a fairgrounds to force contraband choice between buying province or two fairgounds. Brigands hit my golds so it lead to mirror match. My win was bit lucky, a duchess revealed that I have apprentice in next hand so I played contraband relying on SCSN blocking a province and buying province next turn with apprenticed hand.

Cellar, Loan, Sage, Bishop, Talisman, Treasure Map, Catacombs, Counting House, Embassy, Mystic, Platinum.

I won this one easily as embassy with deck full of gold almost guarantees a colony.

Sage, Steward, Quarry, Rats, Taxman, Trader, Treasure Map, Bandit Camp, Festival, Altar

I lost this one because I tried to be fancy with actions and not buying provinces. Still we were relatively tied until endgame when I need to decide what to buy when there are 2 provinces and duchies remaining. As buying duchy would not help as opponent would buy next one I decided to buy province and SCSN bought last one.

Market Square, Menagerie, Sage, Bishop, Remake, Treasure Map, Inn, Royal Seal, Vault, Peddler

This is board where treasure map does not help at all, as bishops generate lot of points here. As I did not see how could i trash fast enough to get menageries activated I tried vaults and hope they could empty provinces fast enough despite that they help opponent. It did not work as I expected.

Duchess, Haven, Vagrant, Sage, Tunnel, Warehouse, Feast, Treasure Map, Catacombs, Royal Seal

Here a treasure map/sage is not a thing. Here a treasure map/warehouse is a thing. SCSN also collided maps on turn 5 and won.

Duchess, Pearl Diver, Chancellor, Sage, Bridge, Horse Traders, Treasure Map, Bazaar, Counterfeit, Peddler

Another weak board. Here I won despite going too heavy with counterfeit and forgetting to buy additional treasures.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 07:38:03 pm »

We played these games, I won 6 of those and treasure map won 7. I proposed this challenge because I did not believed that with 8 card kingdoms there is likely something strong. My comments to games are following.

Poor House, Crossroads, Sage, Baron, Bureaucrat, Treasure Map, Worker's Village, Festival, Mandarin, Tribute

Sage, Urchin, Armory, Baron, Bridge, Trader, Treasure Map, City, Knights, Bank, Platinum

Sage, Steward, Quarry, Rats, Taxman, Trader, Treasure Map, Bandit Camp, Festival, Altar

Market Square, Menagerie, Sage, Bishop, Remake, Treasure Map, Inn, Royal Seal, Vault, Peddler

Duchess, Haven, Vagrant, Sage, Tunnel, Warehouse, Feast, Treasure Map, Catacombs, Royal Seal

Per your descriptions, you split the games 5-5. SCSN won the bolded games.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 08:26:36 pm »

Going live

We played these games, I won 6 of those

Says the man who accuses me of making bold statements :D

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 01:32:16 am »

Going live

We played these games, I won 6 of those

Says the man who accuses me of making bold statements :D
Sorry, I used logsearch to count these and I did not notice that it shows also a cancelled one.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.