Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Counters to/with Possession  (Read 3762 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
Re: Counters to/with Possession
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:23:35 pm »

Just added a couple new pages to the wiki - thoughts?

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Counter:_Monument_vs_Possession

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Counter:_Possession_vs_Merchant_Guild

possession vs m. guild is a stretch. I don't think it's important enough to deserve an article, though possession is somewhat of a counter to all coin token strats. The delayed usage works both ways, as you mentioned, so it doesn't really make much of a difference.

monument vs. possession is correct and pretty important. i read the article, it looks good.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:26:06 pm by silverspawn »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:14:05 pm »

Monument vs Possession is fine, but any of the VP chip cards work that way.  Bishop and Goons are probably even better as a counter.
Well you *do* need a signature...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:19:44 pm »

Remember that these counters tend to just be representative examples.  I chose Monument and Merchant Guild because I felt they worked best as representatives.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 11:34:44 pm »

Remember that these counters tend to just be representative examples.  I chose Monument and Merchant Guild because I felt they worked best as representatives.

yea but you very rarely buy possession in order to counter merchant guild. other factors, like how fast you can get to 6P and how many possessions you will be able to play are what determine whether you go for it or not. on the other hand, you could totally buy monument as a counter, I've done that before.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 10:10:07 am »

Yeah, I'm not sure MG/Possession really deserves a page. Usually you plan your buys with MG to get the most tokens, perhaps getting a few cheap cards instead of one expensive one. The Possessor can pretty easily get around this by just buying one expensive card, only giving up a single coin token to the Possessed player. The fact that MG is very weak without the coin (just +$1, +1 buy) also mean the Possessor isn't missing out on much by just not playing it. Terminal silver (like Monument) can be a bit more necessary to play than just an extra copper. If it's a solid multi-MG engine, once more, the Possessed player probably already has a stockpile of coin tokens that they earned before getting Possessed, so the Possessor can have a decent turn without doing much. Seems like it'd be pretty late to start picking up Possession as a counter to that MG engine, too.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 11:25:42 am »
+1

I think it is easier to just say that vp tokens are a defense against possession and coin tokens are vulnerable to possession, then add some detail for particular cards. Bishops and goons are fine as defense against possession, particularly bishops since you can trash out anything that would be useful to a possessor and build a vp lead doing so. The big problem when using possession against goons is that you often lose the opportunity to play your own goons in order to play possession. King's court x monument decks are great defense but rare. All coin token hoarding strategies are weak against possession and merchant guilds are just the weakest.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:30:57 am by DG »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 08:31:54 pm »

Golem and Herald also "counter" Possession, but in those cases I think you just resign yourself to the fact that you'll inevitably end up playing some undesirable actions during Possession turns.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 20 queries.