Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Small Pack Updates  (Read 6509 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Small Pack Updates
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:29:28 am »

It seems Blizzard is doing the naxrammass thing really slowly. They keep stalling by showing new cards to keep people interested, but they must be delaying. Now of course it'll be great to have an adventure mode, but I think they would benefit from having small updates of just a couple cards every now and then. Like just release 3 cards or something, because I feel if they stick to just massive updates people may start playing other things, especially since there don't seem to be that many deck possibilities right now.

EDIT: And I don't mean release 3 of the naxrammass cards. I mean in later updates, they just give 3 new cards while they work on new adventures.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Small Pack Updates
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:17:55 pm »

there don't seem to be that many deck possibilities right now.
Aren't there lots of deck possibilities? Every class has at least one deck archetype that's viable at the highest level, and most of the classes have two or more.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 12:34:23 pm »
+2

I think that showing the cards keeps people interested enough. I don't know about releasing cards a few at a time, because there are balance issues. They have to test interactions with all the new cards, and they want to minimize changing already-released cards. So theoretically, the whole expansion needs to be figured out before any of the cards are released, at which point, they might as well just release the whole expansion...

As far as there not being a lot of deck possibilities, I don't necessarily agree. There are a few more popular archetypes at higher levels, but the fact that more keep showing up says something about the set of unexplored possibilities... Druid is one of the most popular classes atm, and there's no "standard" Druid decklist.

Even if you only look at the decks played by the seeded players at Dreamhack you have:
Token Druid
Taunt Druid
Midrange Druid
Midrange Hunter
Face Hunter
Freeze Mage
Circle Priest
Miracle Rogue
Aggro Rogue
Tempo Shaman
Handlock
Control Warrior

Then there's popular ladder decks:
Zoolock
Face Paladin
Face Warrior

and the occasional:
Aggro Mage
Midrange Mage
Control Paladin
Tempo Rogue
Combo Warrior
Murloc Warlock

plus really gimmicky stuff like Inner Fire Priest, Malygos Druid, or Miracle Shaman...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:49:36 pm »

Well the point was that whether or not they should release small card packs. It's true they need to test with every other card. Perhaps I'm just eager for new cards.

EDIT: Also new cards don't have to come with a new adventure. Since it takes time to make class challenges and new hero powers for the bosses, they could make just cards which might take less time.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 12:52:40 pm »

Blizzard has no interest in people continuously playing Hearthstone. Much more effective to get them rehyped every now and then.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 12:58:44 pm »

Blizzard has no interest in people continuously playing Hearthstone. Much more effective to get them rehyped every now and then.

Por que?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 01:10:53 pm »

Por que?

Of course they want people playing. They want them to keep paying. So they need to build more of a game so that people will want to keep paying for things like arena and more cards.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 01:21:32 pm »

This is Blizzard. Historically, Blizzard doesn't release their expansions piece by piece, it all comes out at once.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:25:56 pm »

This is Blizzard. Historically, Blizzard doesn't release their expansions piece by piece, it all comes out at once.

I'm saying to make smaller expansions, not just huge ones

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:33:32 pm »

It's pretty crazy that they're going all out and making adventures for the expansion. Maybe they don't need to do that for every expansion.

On the other hand, there are only so many cards you can make before it starts becoming very hard to not make them redundant. Look, the game already has more cards than Dominion does, and it's not all that easy to do things in Dominion that haven't already been done.

30 cards is enough to destabilize the meta for a long while, I think. With the addition of the adventures, I think Blizzard has a good expansion release strategy going on here. I don't know if it's the best one, but I'm satisfied with it.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 02:00:40 pm »

It's pretty crazy that they're going all out and making adventures for the expansion. Maybe they don't need to do that for every expansion.

On the other hand, there are only so many cards you can make before it starts becoming very hard to not make them redundant. Look, the game already has more cards than Dominion does, and it's not all that easy to do things in Dominion that haven't already been done.

30 cards is enough to destabilize the meta for a long while, I think. With the addition of the adventures, I think Blizzard has a good expansion release strategy going on here. I don't know if it's the best one, but I'm satisfied with it.

There are more cards, but many are similar to each other. Look are Silverback Patriarch and Ironfur Grizzly. Both 3 drops, just a change in health and attack. Many cards are just distribution of points that make then very different. Of course that's not exciting for an expansion, but it means they haven't exhausted possibilities with the current cards. There are still enough things that they haven't used up. Shaman Totems are a unique unit type. New Shaman cards could use that. A druid card that give +0/+2 for each unused Mana Crystal For like 5 mana. Could be interesting with ramp Druids, or just as a late game Buff. Webspinner doesn't really push any boundaries even though it's a cute looking card. What about a spell that gives a minion +1/+1 for every Beast in play (nvm Unleash the Hounds) but you get the idea. I'm sure there is room for many more cards

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 02:21:22 pm »

A lot of basic stat combinations for mostly vanilla minions have already been done. To keep things fresh, cards with new effects and more spells are needed. However, introducing such exotic effects requires a lot of playtesting to make they're balanced. It takes time.

I foresee a lot of experimentation just with Revival alone, so I think the community will be busy for awhile.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:22:23 pm by markusin »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 02:32:01 pm »

A lot of basic stat combinations for mostly vanilla minions have already been done. To keep things fresh, cards with new effects and more spells are needed. However, introducing such exotic effects requires a lot of playtesting to make they're balanced. It takes time.

I foresee a lot of experimentation just with Revival alone, so I think the community will be busy for awhile.

I know about the vanilla cards. How many cards does MtG have? And I mean ones that aren't banned or dumb.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 02:33:37 pm »

I think they said at some point that they are going to do both small expansions with adventures, and pure expansions with lots of cards. So the next expansion will probably be a big one without an adventure. And that's what I'm banking all my gold for. :)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 02:36:31 pm »

I think they said at some point that they are going to do both small expansions with adventures, and pure expansions with lots of cards. So the next expansion will probably be a big one without an adventure. And that's what I'm banking all my gold for. :)

This was all I was asking. Small and big expansions.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 02:38:45 pm »

I know about the vanilla cards. How many cards does MtG have? And I mean ones that aren't banned or dumb.
Dunno. I never played magic.

Cool. I should probably start saving gold for Naxxramas, though there are plenty of cards from the "base set" I still need to get. If I keep doing well in the arena, I can win on both fronts.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:51:02 pm by markusin »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 06:53:11 pm »

MTG needs a certain amount of vanilla, or less exotic, guys since they have block constructed and limited to keep in mind.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 07:34:17 pm »

MTG needs a certain amount of vanilla, or less exotic, guys since they have block constructed and limited to keep in mind.
I interpreted KingZog3's rhetoric about MtG to mean there is an overabundance of vanilla.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 07:39:44 pm »

I interpreted KingZog3's rhetoric about MtG to mean there is an overabundance of vanilla.

I have't play Magic in a long time, and even when I did I wasn't super serious. It does need more vanilla, but they still have tons of cards. I was just saying how Heathstone still has tons of potential. And if they are half as creative as DXV has been with Dominion, they will be able to put all kinds of new things into the game.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 03:07:23 am »

Why do you think they have daily quests, then?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 21 queries.