Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Prince games!  (Read 3087 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Prince games!
« on: June 19, 2014, 11:54:00 pm »
+5

Played 3 IRL Prince games tonight with my wife, using the blank cards as proxies. Also mostly Guilds games, as that was new to us as well. For the first 2, we used mostly recommended Kingdoms with Guilds and Dominion, but replaced something with Prince. Third was picked out with stuff that sounded fun.

Game 1: I wasn't allowed to buy Prince, and she had to buy Prince, so we could see the effects of ignoring Prince. She promoted her Advisor to a Prince. The 7 card starting hands were nice for her, but she had no use for the extra action except on 1 turn. She did put together a fun little combo where she would Stonemason her Estates into 2 Coppers, and use Moneylenders to trash the Coppers. I won with some sort of Laboratory/Festival/Merchant's Guild engine. Ended the game by 3-piling with the help of Stonemason. My wife had also bought a Stonemason for $10 to get 2 Princes, which she planned to Stonemason into other things, but didn't get the chance.

One thing I noticed is that while Stonemason for $7 to get 2 good $5s is generally great, if you do it too much you end up with a bunch of Stonemasons that are just in your way.

Game 2: I had to buy Prince, she wasn't allowed to. I used Prince on Candlestick Maker. The free coin token every turn was pretty nice, but that's about it. I bought a second one with the plan to use it on Militia, but didn't collide. Mostly it was a Soothsayer game. Ended with my 5 Provinces to her 3.

Game 3: The Prince powerhouse. Herald, Navigator, Outpost, Prince. Loan to trash the Coppers. Also Colony game. Need I say more? I had both a Princed Herald and a Princed Navigator... that was just ridiculous. It meant Herald would always succeed. I also at one point bought a Herald for $6 so that I could put Herald and Prince on my deck. Before too long I was getting over $20 per turn easily, including Outpost turns! Twice I had to spend well over $10 on a Market so that I could have +buy. Though she got an earlier lead on the Colonies. I won 5 Colonies to her 3.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Prince games!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 01:47:53 am »
+6

I also at one point bought a Herald for $6 so that I could put Herald and Prince on my deck.

Oh I like this.  Not necessarily princing Herald, but rather using Herald's overpay to rig your ideal princing.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:53:53 am »

I'm excited to test Prince IRL (apparently, it's not implemented in Goko, yet), but there's some issue I noticed, which might also apply to your games with your wife; while Dominion can be a lot of fun for beginners, this might end quickly as some participants advance in skill faster than others. You're the better judge here, but comparing what you wrote to my experences IRL, it seems like you're playing better than your wife. I know that these circumstances sometimes spoil the fun and, in this case, more importantly, they make playtesting a card difficult.
Testing a new card, or maybe a fan card, with 2 unequally skilled players will only get you so far. It will eventually turn out that the better player wins most of the game, regardless of whether they bought that new card or not. One way to get around this is not only to dictate who gets to buy Prince and who doesn't but also which general strategy both players must commit to, to see how much of a difference Prince does make.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 11:38:57 am »

I played two prince games.  The first wasn't too strong of a board, but I wanted to play Prince badly enough that I built a pretty bad engine with no +Buy (Walled Village and Smithy were the only cards that were useful).  My dad did it too.  I was planning on getting a Prince or two before buying Provinces, but I kept on not getting $8.  My dad get $8 plenty of times, but kept on getting Princes.  He started getting more than $8 every turn, but kept on getting Princes.  I finally got $8, got one Prince of Smithies, and started buying Provinces.  I won because I started buying them first.

In the second game, to avoid a situation like that, I decided to put in cards that would make Prince interesting.  Me and my dad were both trying to trash, junk each other with Montebank, and build an engine all at the same time, so we never got enough coins for prince.  Finally, I overpayed for Stonemason and got two Princes.  Before I even saw them, I three-piled the game.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 11:55:59 pm »
+1

I just realized that Scheming Prince can work (unlike Treasure Map) because you don't *have* to set Prince aside when you play it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 01:44:56 am »

Like any starry-eyed Dominion fan, I lost twice to my girlfriend because I just kept trying to buy Prince. Warehouse is a fun card to use with Prince though.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:41:23 am »

First Prince game today. Early Prince of Stewards. Trashed down then 7 card hands with Counterfeit and money - very fast.

CG19

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:40:24 am »
+4

I played an IRL game with Prince and it was fantastic. I got opened with Coppersmith to get an early Prince (which worked!) and then Princed the Coppersmith. I then proceeded to get more Princes and then became the Prince of Beggars and then the Prince of Foragers for the +buy. Needless to say every hand I played was ridiculous and awesome. It was a 3-player game and I won handily.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 12:35:51 pm »

I played an IRL game with Prince and it was fantastic. I got opened with Coppersmith to get an early Prince (which worked!) and then Princed the Coppersmith. I then proceeded to get more Princes and then became the Prince of Beggars and then the Prince of Foragers for the +buy. Needless to say every hand I played was ridiculous and awesome. It was a 3-player game and I won handily.

That sounds insane. The last Prince game I played had Spice Merchant and Shanty Town as the only actions that were $4 or less. Needless to say no one bought Prince. Not that Prince of Shanty Town is horrible or anything... could turn an unlucky actionless turn, or an unlucky hand-full-of-terminals turn into a great turn, but is pretty much worthless if you didn't get a bad hand.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kfm

• Baron
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »

Combo: Prince/scavenger + 1 draw card and 1 or more gold or platinum

Just had this game, my first prince game ever. 
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140906/log.50803be051c34ca080a52dd6.1410029392411.txt

Admittedly had some great shuffle luck in the beginning.  I was thinking of the prince coppersmith thing, but instead princed my scavenger
Ended up with 7 provinces, 2 duchies, and 5 estates in 18 turns.

It plays out like this:
Prince the scavenger.  afterwards:
every turn, put the draw card on top if it's not already in hand.
otherwise, put gold on top and draw your gold with the drawer in hand.

turns where you play the draw card and draw the gold, you should usually be able to buy province.
if not, you can still buy other victory point cards without too much worry of stalling.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.