Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Totally new  (Read 1634 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Totally new
« on: June 19, 2014, 02:57:35 pm »

I am in the exact same boat as michaeljb:

I just started Hearthstone this morning, I'm possibly interested in this but don't know how long it will take me to get up to speed, or if I'll have the time to participate. How long will signups be open for this?

However, I will not be able to participate in the tournament or anything as I am taking a hiatus from civilization for the next couple months.  It seems like a pretty fun game, my only complaint is that it is not a level playing field for newbies.  I was playing this one game where I was completely demolishing this guy, then he goes and switches out his hero for some weird demon thing, starts spawning 6/6 demons every turn along with having all sorts of other cool cards that I don't have, and barely beats me.  (I would have had him on the next turn but he got a lucky action card [magic, potion, spell, whatever its called] and is able to get past my taunt and beat out my hero.)

I have basically only played with the hero that you start with, and I just have a couple questions.  One, what would you all say is a good balance between the highcost/low cost cards.  Second, how much does the hero really matter?  There are some cards that every race plays with, then some are race-specific.  Is there a certain race that I should look into next?

Anyway, I got down to level 19 before just getting bumped back to 20, and I thought I would post here to let you all know that creating a new board for hearthstone here got one more player into it.  There goes some more of my time.  Thanks a bunch.  :P
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Totally new
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 03:11:56 pm »

To solve this issue, I only play Arena, but honestly it's not a huge deal.  For many decks that can't deal with Jaraxxus, you are supposed to have won before he ever gets a chance to play Jaraxxus.  For others, there are enough bad players that even if you face a ton of legendaries you can still beat them handily.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:17:43 pm »

You faced Jaraxxus! Thank the stars I haven't yet.

I'm pretty new to Hearthstone too, and I know it can be tough when trying to climb the rank ladder without too many cards (although you can do pretty well with the starting cards). Thankfully, the Arena removes the card ownership disadvantage, as everyone drafts from a random set of cards.

The class-specific cards tend to be quite strong, and often synergize with the respective class's hero power. The class cards also tend to lean towards a certain flavour. For example, the mage has lots of mass damage and removal cards, while the warlock has lots of pain-for-gain. Nevertheless, each class has a variety of strategic options to go for, even if the metagame discourages some of them.

The game itself has some not-so-obvious concepts that need to be grasped to improve, but then you've found the right place to get advice.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 11:51:36 am »
+1

Arena arena arena.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:05:28 pm »

Jaraxxus is like, really not that good. I just played a game against a Warlock with it and I survived for like, 6-7 turns after he played it. Just spawning massive creatures isn't enough when you're running low on cards and your opponent can drop Taunts and totems.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.