Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dreamhack summer, RDU/amaz finals game 2  (Read 1880 times)

rrwoods

• Navigator
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
Dreamhack summer, RDU/amaz finals game 2
« on: June 19, 2014, 05:29:42 am »
+1

Just curious what peoples thoughts were on the whole thing.

For the uninitiated: in the finals of Dreamhack, RDU received a message from someone on his friends list that said, in Romanian, "he has a bow and a hunters mark". He informed the admins after the game was over, at which point they had him remove everyone from his friends list and continue the match. He won that game and they did not decide to alter its outcome in any way. Other pros largely agree that the information did not change his play and that he would have won the game without it.

For perspective, second place got $5,000 and first place got $10,000 so this match was for $5,000.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Dreamhack summer, RDU/amaz finals game 2
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 06:41:29 am »
+1

I didn't watch the game or any other games of the tournament. But I've seen screenshots of it, and from the looks of it, he doesn't seem to happy about it. In fact, he seems VERY unhappy about it. So to me it looks like he hadn't asked them to send him messages.

With that said, I think the DH crew could've gone either way with their ruling regarding replaying/not replaying/give a game loss for that game. If he didn't at any point after recieving the info play around Hunter's Mark or the Bow ehere he normally wouldn't, I think it's kind of silly to make him lose the game or even replay it, since it would't really affect the outcome. And if that was the case, I think the DH crew made the right decision.

In the end, though, I think the real blame lies in Blizzard. Not being able to turn off the chat in a game that requires online play is not very tournament oriented. And they've held their own tournament. Which I can't imagine wasn't live streamed as well.

Finally, as a side note, I think it's also kind of weird that some random guy could cause a guy to not win $5000 by being a jerk. In a 1v1 competition, there should be no outside influences. And if there is, it's the guy who is outside and influencing that should be dealt with, not the guy who is being influenced. If he's the one responsible, it's cheating, though.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 01:49:12 pm »

I have every reason to believe that RDU was a victim, I think it's hard to even put much blame on the idiot from RDU's friendlist, it should have never been possible, like Lekkit said, the problem rests much higher up. 

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 02:02:16 pm »

How did the person in his friends list know what the other guy had? What am I missing?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 02:08:22 pm »

There was a livestream on the internet.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.