Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Cards that looked weak at first...  (Read 15359 times)

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
Cards that looked weak at first...
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:25:48 pm »
+2

There's a lot of cards in Dominion that I seriously underestimated as a beginner being exposed to newer cards through online play.

Here's a few of my "Wow that looked weak" cards:

Ambassador
Chapel
Rebuild

Anyone else have a card they thought was weak when they first saw it?

...Or alternatively, a card that you overestimated. For me, that was Bureaucrat. I used to self-veto it when picking cards for games IRL.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Cards that looked weak at first...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:37:18 pm »
+8

...Or alternatively, a card that you overestimated. For me, that was Bureaucrat. I used to self-veto it when picking cards for games IRL.
You can't possibly have overestimated Bureaucrat - it's the strongest card in the game!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:41:54 pm »
+2

I, like everyone, underestimated trashing, though I underrated Moneylender a lot more than Chapel. I also underestimated Junk Dealer (well I thought it was extremely good, but that was still an understatement), Governor, Goons and Watchtower (I mean, it gets rid of the Curse, and it returns your hand size back to 6 after a discarding attack, so it's kind of like Moat but it just costs $3 ::)).

And I overrated like every card, but especially Golem, Trader, Workshop (it looks so powerful when you compare it to Feast!), Cellar (though it actually used to be better than it is now because I didn't use trashing) and Spy (if I discard a bad card every time, it's like a Lab but it also attacks!).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:48:32 pm »
+1

I seriously underestimated Jack of All Trades at first glace, and continued to for awhile even after getting trounced by it. I guess I didn't playing games with it until I was already pretty decent with the other sets, so it just seemed pretty meh if you take the bonuses one at a time. The Spy effect is rather weak, it has worse draw than Watchtower, one-at-a-time trashers are way slow, and you get more middling treasure - but all together, you have one heck of a card that's useful on a lot of boards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:23:11 pm »
+2

We all underestimated Jack of all Trades.  And Ill-Gotten Gains.  And Rebuild.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 12:04:23 am »

The first thing I thought upon reading Rebuild was, "Isn't this ridiculously powerful?"

I think my default assumption about cards is that they're good. I've overestimated a lot of cards, though.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:21:40 am »
+1

I underestimated Jack slightly, but I still knew it was powerful.  I never underestimated IGG or Rebuild.

That is probably because I started playing with them after joining the community and the cards were already out for a while ::)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 12:44:57 am »

I underestimated Jack slightly, but I still knew it was powerful.  I never underestimated IGG or Rebuild.

That is probably because I started playing with them after joining the community and the cards were already out for a while ::)

See, I'm the old fogey (and I'm certainly not the oldest on here) who remembers the Hinterlands spoilers back in '11.  And we were all "well that's a funky thing" with JoaT.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 01:37:46 am »

So... No one here played Village Idiot their first game? I bought my first set when Prosperity came out. I've always overestimated +Action cards and underestimated Attack cards.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 02:57:26 am »
+6

Merchant Guild: I think a lot of players still underestimate this one.

I'm not claiming it's super powerful, just better than what people generally think.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 03:21:09 am »

Merchant Guild: I think a lot of players still underestimate this one.

I'm not claiming it's super powerful, just better than what people generally think.
I overestimated it at first. I still think it's pretty powerful, just less so than what I initially thought.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 07:35:11 pm »
+1

Hunting Party was a big one that doesn't appear intuitively powerful.

Also, I agree that Golem is not nearly good enough to buy a potion for, although I see it done all the time. I mean sure, the effect is pretty cool but I mean if you want to be waiting like 5-6 more turns to use it.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 07:19:52 am »

Duke, Library, Gardens, Ambassador and Apothecary.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 08:27:20 am »
+3

I think the original estimations of IGG are pretty accurate and people overestimate the card now. Sure, if there's nothing else going on you can play a one-card strategy and it seems like IGG is really powerful, but after Sea Hag it's my favorite card to ignore, and I think uncontested IGG can end the game in 20 turns or something if it's lucky? Yeah I'll play the other thing thank you.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 10:22:58 am »

I think the original estimations of IGG are pretty accurate and people overestimate the card now. Sure, if there's nothing else going on you can play a one-card strategy and it seems like IGG is really powerful, but after Sea Hag it's my favorite card to ignore, and I think uncontested IGG can end the game in 20 turns or something if it's lucky? Yeah I'll play the other thing thank you.

I also don't think IGG by itself is usually going to win you games. But I do enjoy using it tactically to give my opponents Curses at critical junctures or to run out piles when it's advantageous for me. You don't have to rush Ill-Gotten Gains for it to be useful, I think.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 10:40:40 am »
+1

I also don't think IGG by itself is usually going to win you games. But I do enjoy using it tactically to give my opponents Curses at critical junctures or to run out piles when it's advantageous for me. You don't have to rush Ill-Gotten Gains for it to be useful, I think.
IGG doesn't have to be a monolithic strategy. You can even get a few in the presence of other cursers in a slog game. An almost Silver that helps you with the curse split is not something that should be auto-ignored.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 10:43:03 am »
+2

IGG doesn't have to be a monolithic strategy. You can even get a few in the presence of other cursers in a slog game. An almost Silver that helps you with the curse split is not something that should be auto-ignored.

All of this is true, but the "conventional wisdom" is that an IGG rush is so powerful and so strong that you can never play anything but a slog in its presence, and there are alternatives to this so often

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 10:50:40 am »

All of this is true, but the "conventional wisdom" is that an IGG rush is so powerful and so strong that you can never play anything but a slog in its presence, and there are alternatives to this so often
I don't think that people generally think that way, though. At least they don't play that way.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 10:52:07 am »

I don't think that people generally think that way, though. At least they don't play that way.

Perhaps. I guess my point is that I think IGG is a weak card.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 11:10:58 am »

IGG-Gardens is an example of star-crossed lovers though.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 11:24:56 am »
+17

I feel like Gardens is like one of those popular guys/girls in high school, great-looking, really talented and will end up very successful, and really friendly to everyone (I'm imagining an oboe player here; anyone?). One of those people who gets homecoming king/queen by a landslide. Gardens is wooed and sought after by all the kids at the school; Ironworks, Beggar. Gardens can deal with all the bullies who pick on everyone else; Mountebank, Ambassador. Gardens gets along great with the other guys/girls who are just like him/her only not quite as pretty; Silk Road, Feodum.

IGG is that guy on the football team who is 3 feet taller than everybody else and everybody is afraid to talk to. His buddies on the football team; Coppersmith, Salvager; are the only people that really hang out with him, but Gardens is of course nice to IGG just like everybody else. IGG thinks that Gardens' attention means affection and has a misplaced crush on him/her.

I feel like Thief is that nerdy kid Gardens is with, who isn't all that popular, but everyone knows they're going to grow up and get married and live happily ever after and make lots of babies. IGG always thought that Thief -- wait for it -- stole Gardens away from him (oh, yes, it's so good) but the truth is, IGG has nothing on Thief -- s/he is just perfect for Gardens <3 <3 <3

ADK? You up for another fanfic?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 12:08:56 pm »
+5

What just happened?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 12:42:24 pm »
+2

(I'm imagining an oboe player here; anyone?).

You know what the difference is between an oboe and an onion?  No one cries when you slice apart an oboe.

Seriously, there's a reason Prokofiev picked the oboe to be the duck.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 01:10:07 pm »

You know what the difference is between an oboe and an onion?  No one cries when you slice apart an oboe.

What do you have against ducks?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 01:11:21 pm »

I was picturing an oboe player because it takes a lot of talent to get pleasant sounds out of an oboe, and Gardens is the type of person who is just that talented at everything s/he does.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.