Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329193 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #1200 on: February 28, 2016, 06:59:35 pm »

Jaraxxus is a good card (MUCH better than Mistcaller), but he does carry a huge tempo loss, but great way to easily get it back too.

Not sure how many of you actually played the Erdard Lord, but he doesn't really bring anything to board when you play it. Yes, you can attack, and thats it. You need to have a clear board or be taunted up to not get steamrolled. Yes, 6/6 add up, and you win most of the time you get 1 or two out, but you played nothing (w/o Emperor shenenings) the turn you went Oblivion, so unless you manage to recover the turn after (usually means re-clear the board and/or taunt up), you can go down easily. Ok, you are less likely to die to some less bursty classes, but even against Pally I find myself in this weird spot where I just cant aford to lose a turn Jaraxusin'. Even if he just goes Boom that is enough presence to threaten possible lethal if you cant deal with it.

@Awaclus - Jaraxxus won't let you go to fatigue, most of the time. You need to deal with 6/6 each turn and than find a window to burst him (Ysera Awekens/Grommash is the most effective). Edit: at least I dont. Vs warrior you are the beatdown and need to wear him down before fatigue.

Jaraxxus is quite nice when played with Emperor Shenanigans though. Jaraxxus(8 mana) that summons a 6/6(2 mana) for a total of 10 mana is a pretty big boost to the card.

I don't have Jaraxxus myself. My Renolock goes the Stalagg/Feugen Route with a Faceless Manipulator in there. Stalagg + Faceless on 10 mana after Feugen has died is the ideal state I try to get to against control/fatigue decks. 2 Stalaggs with 7 attack is quite valuable when racing against a deck able to gain 4 armor/health each turn during fatigue.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 28, 2016, 08:33:50 pm »

I've been having the most insane games lately.  I just played against a priest who played three museum curators early, and hit 2x Sylvanas and Sneed's Old Shredder off them.  I would have won the game, except an early Fel Reaver left me out of cards in deck before him.

The previous game I beat a turn 8 Kel'Thuzad into a turn 9 Arch Thief Rafaam.  I also had a game where I cast 2 Nefarians and my opponent cast one.  My arena runs lately have been littered with legendaries and absurd plays.. makes me wish that I had a way to go back and re-access the games.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 06, 2016, 10:51:08 pm »
+1

I know people say Hunter is poor in arena, and usually it is, but Hunter also has some of the strongest cards if you manage to get them.

x2 Arcane Shot
Worgen Infiltrator
x3 Glaivzooka
Bear Trap
Acidic Swamp Ooze
Jeweled Scarab
King's Elekk
Mad Bomber
x2 Kill Command
Desert Camel (weak and a liability in this deck)
Earthen Ring Farseer
Fencing Coach
Ogre Brute
Silver Hand Regent
Ancient Mage
Arcane Nullifier X-21
Ogre Magi
Fen Creeper
Pit Fighter
Ball of Spiders
Boulderfist Ogre
x2 Frost Elemental
x2 Savannah Highmane
North Sea Kraken

4-0 right now, no game was even close. The weak 4's are a problem, but like all the early and all the late game are insane cards. And Orge magi isn't terrible since I have a lot of spells. Same goes for Ancient Mage slightly.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: March 07, 2016, 12:12:39 pm »

Recently drafted Hunter to get a daily (and the other options were Priest or Shaman) and went 5-3 which is good for me regardless of class.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 07, 2016, 01:09:11 pm »

I think Hunter is pretty decent, but you need gamble a little bit on getting Beast synergies usually. However, I say that as someone who drafts Hunter when given the choice 9 times out of 10.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 09, 2016, 03:39:36 pm »

f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 10, 2016, 06:25:19 pm »

Ugh.  I just went 2-3 with what looked to me like a fairly respectable rogue deck.  I have always struggled a lot with rogue in arena, has anyone got any tips on this one?

EDIT:  Yeah so I realise that obviously showing the deck would be helpful, but I don't have it down anywhere.  Just looking for any general ideas about rogue in arena.  I average somewhere between 6 and 8 wins with other classes, but I don't think I've got more than about 4 with rogue recently.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:27:03 pm by Haddock »
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 10, 2016, 10:28:45 pm »

Ugh.  I just went 2-3 with what looked to me like a fairly respectable rogue deck.  I have always struggled a lot with rogue in arena, has anyone got any tips on this one?

EDIT:  Yeah so I realise that obviously showing the deck would be helpful, but I don't have it down anywhere.  Just looking for any general ideas about rogue in arena.  I average somewhere between 6 and 8 wins with other classes, but I don't think I've got more than about 4 with rogue recently.

I've also done poorly with rogue recently. If you don't get offered the early tempo cards, Rogue is tough. It's more that if you get those cards, you do really well, if you don't then you don't do so well. Paladin is more consistent, but Rogue is much stronger with a good draft. That's how I see it anyway.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 22, 2016, 12:30:28 am »
+2

Finally got my first 12 win arena. Drafted a paladin deck where the only 2 drops were a Nerubian egg, and an argent protector. But I got 3 musters, 1 stormwind champ, coghammer, 1 blessing of Kings and one blessing of might. Played pretty aggressively. The icing on the cake: the second pack I got had Justicar Trueheart.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 22, 2016, 01:06:56 am »

Finally got my first 12 win arena. Drafted a paladin deck where the only 2 drops were a Nerubian egg, and an argent protector. But I got 3 musters, 1 stormwind champ, coghammer, 1 blessing of Kings and one blessing of might. Played pretty aggressively. The icing on the cake: the second pack I got had Justicar Trueheart.

Congratulations. And Justicar opens up some fatigue decks for you.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 22, 2016, 05:56:18 am »
+1

I've also done poorly with rogue recently. If you don't get offered the early tempo cards, Rogue is tough. It's more that if you get those cards, you do really well, if you don't then you don't do so well. Paladin is more consistent, but Rogue is much stronger with a good draft. That's how I see it anyway.
Went 6-3 with my latest rogue draft.  Which is better than I expected given my latest rogue results.  One of those losses was to a turn 7 Scarab->Muster + guy  from a pally (which I couldn't clear), followed by a turn 8 KT so that his little guys cleared my board.  I had nothing but minions left and everything was just going to die to his annoying little board every turn.  :(  When KT is good, he's good.  It's also annoying how good muster is, basically whenever in the game you play it.

And now I have some incredibly bizarre mage deck which is about half full of cheapish spells and has mana wyrms and sorc. apprentice and one flamewaker, and a summoning stone.  and 2 blizzards.   It's not a good deck.  But it's a fun deck. 
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: March 22, 2016, 09:05:56 am »

That mage deck sounds hilarious. I hope you get to fill the board of minions in at least 1 game.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 22, 2016, 09:10:31 am »

That mage deck sounds hilarious. I hope you get to fill the board of minions in at least 1 game.
The most recent game I got a second summoning stone out of an unstable portal.
My main problem was running out of space on the board for more minions. :D

EDIT:  Here's the deck.  (I misremembered the win count, it's actually 6-2 atm)
1x Arcane Missiles
1x Mirror Image
2x Mana Wyrm
2x Flamecannon
1x Frostbolt
1x Unstable Portal
1x Boneguard Lieutenant
1x Sorcerer's Apprentice
1x Duplicate
2x Forgotten Torch
1x Polymorph:Boar
1x Flamewaker
1x Spellslinger
1x Cone of Cold
1x Ancient Mage
2x Maiden of the Lake
1x Piloted Shredder
1x Tomb Spider
1x Tournament Medic
1x Water Elemental
1x Stampeding Kodo
1x Summoning Stone
2x Blizzard
1x Boulderfist Ogre
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:14:49 am by Haddock »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 22, 2016, 05:50:44 pm »

That looks like it could do fairly well if you draw the spell synergy. The early game is good and if you can win on tempo, you'll do well.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 22, 2016, 06:11:56 pm »

Went 9-3 in the end. Which is better than I expected.  The losses came about as I thought they would, ie. drawing a handful of spells that weren't useful for the situation. I expected that to happen more often than it did, is all.

Also got a couple of unstable portal carries. That summoning stone. But also a muklas champion, which made a great turn 9 play in combination with a previously played maiden of the lake and my kodo rider which I just realised I missed off the deck list.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: March 24, 2016, 10:48:42 am »
+2

I've done fine with Rogue recently. You rally need to play aggresive and keep the tempo on your side, clean stuff with face. Tomb Pillagers, Shado Pans, Eviscerate, Deadly Poison, and strangly Venture Co even (High attack is better for rogue, so you might want to take risky high attack guys more often). One thing I've picked up from Ben Brode streams is have 1 conceal in. It just does wonders in setting up leathal when you are ahead, and as rogue you want to be ahead early.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:50:01 am by Grujah »

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 24, 2016, 10:58:13 am »
+1

I've done fine with Rogue recently. You rally need to play aggresive and keep the tempo on your side, clean stuff with face. Tomb Pillagers, Shado Pans, Eviscerate, Deadly Poison, and strangly Venture Co even (High attack is better for rogue, so you might want to take risky high attack guys more often). One thing I've picked up from Ben Brode streams is have 1 conceal in. It just does wonders in setting up leathal when you are ahead, and as rogue you want to be ahead early.
All very good tips, some of which I was trying to go with already, some not so much.  Thanks. :)

The conceal thing is really interesting.   I've never thought of it as a good arena card, but when you put it that way...

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 24, 2016, 11:01:59 am »
+1

All very good tips, some of which I was trying to go with already, some not so much.  Thanks. :)

The conceal thing is really interesting.   I've never thought of it as a good arena card, but when you put it that way...

Man, me neither. Than I saw Brode actually win with it a few times, than I've tried it, and it works. Sure, when things are going bad it can be a bad draw, but it really provides huge amount of damage if opponent cant finish you of / doesn't have AoE.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 24, 2016, 11:05:23 am »
+1

Man, me neither. Than I saw Brode actually win with it a few times, than I've tried it, and it works. Sure, when things are going bad it can be a bad draw, but it really provides huge amount of damage if opponent cant finish you of / doesn't have AoE.

Interesting because I've also had a lot of success in Arena with a single Conceal. You get tempo early, then right when your opponent is prepared to stabilize you go face then Conceal. Add whatever reach you've got to your concealed minions next turn and you can snatch a nice victory.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: April 07, 2016, 11:32:58 am »
+1

Currently 11-1 with this Paladin deck.   It's pretty crazy.  By far the weakest card is competitive spirit, in spite of the Mad Scientist.  I keep drawing them together.  And it rarely does anything.
My openings have often been totally mental, in spite of the lack of minibots or musters.  And the late game is also pretty bonkers.  Only had the ancient mage + consecrate dream once, but man did it feel good.

Competitive Spirit
Argent Squire
Lowly Squire
Worgen Infiltrator
Bloodsail Raider
Boneguard Lieutenant
Lance Carrier
Mad Scientist
Puddlestomper
Seal of Champions
Dragonhawk Rider
Questing Adventurer
Scarlet Crusader
Silent Knight
Warhorse Trainer
Truesilver Champion x2
Blessing of Kings
Consecration
Ancient Mage
Dragonkin Sorcerer (This one has one me some games with kings/Seal)
Keeper of Uldaman
Mech. Yeti
Sen'jin
Darkscale Healer
Boulderfist Ogre
Wobbling Runts
Guardian of Kings
War Golem
Lay on Hands

Wish me luck with the final boss!
EDIT: 12-1.  Good times.  First 12-win run I've had in a while.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:41:11 am by Haddock »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: April 08, 2016, 01:03:01 pm »
+1

This deck went 12-2. It was pretty disgusting:

http://imgur.com/RBsqlje

Not pictured: Avenge.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 08, 2016, 01:23:13 pm »

What's disgusting is you lost twice. That deck isn't even fair.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 08, 2016, 01:56:27 pm »

What's disgusting is you lost twice. That deck isn't even fair.

It's early game was weak (weak two drops, no real 1 drops). The games I lost were ones when I curved poorly, didn't draw Consecrate and my opponents hit curve perfectly and managed to get me low enough to burst down in aggro-ish decks. Being on two losses from 4 wins onwards certaintly made it feel more challenging.

But yes, when I drafted that deck I thought "Oh this looks like a 12 win deck." I have never drafted a deck that felt so unfair. It felt like I always had two or more good plays every turn past turn 4.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 15, 2016, 02:06:33 am »

Worst arena prize ever: pack + 1 card (ethereal conjurer -and I already had one)
pack had 4 cogmasters and 1 mini mage.
I went 1-3 this time, 2-3 last time.

How do you get better at arena?

Frustrated not only cause I suck at it, but also because out of the 8 or 10 times I've played arena, I've never been able to use my favorite class (paladin). Seems like about half the time, I end up choosing mage.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:07:39 am by LibraryAdventurer »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 15, 2016, 11:02:22 am »

Worst arena prize ever: pack + 1 card (ethereal conjurer -and I already had one)
pack had 4 cogmasters and 1 mini mage.
I went 1-3 this time, 2-3 last time.

How do you get better at arena?

Frustrated not only cause I suck at it, but also because out of the 8 or 10 times I've played arena, I've never been able to use my favorite class (paladin). Seems like about half the time, I end up choosing mage.

You didn't get etheral conjurer, that's an adventure card.

A common mistake in arena right now is to draft too many big cards. You really don't need more than a few big minions if you can play on curve. 2 drops are the most important. Play for tempo. That means sometimes taking a bad trade to still be the person playing minions first.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.