Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329398 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #1000 on: October 20, 2015, 12:14:00 pm »

Yeah, holding a 4 drop is really good.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 20, 2015, 12:53:28 pm »

Yeah, holding a 4 drop is really good.
Without a perfect 2-3-4 or 1-2-3 curve before the mulligan, I still like to hold a 4-drop if I'm going second if it's a quality 4-drop.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 20, 2015, 01:03:43 pm »

I'd only do that if I had a 2 drop (so I'm planning to Pass turn 1/2 drop turn 2/Coin + 4 drop turn 3). Hearthstone mulliganing is something it turns out I've thought about a lot, but never put into words.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 20, 2015, 02:09:14 pm »
+2

For what it's worth, here's a table I just made of the probability of drawing into an n-drop by any given turn, depending on the number you have in your deck:

For example: If you have five 4-drops in your deck as player 1, and none in your opening hand, then you have a 58% chance of drawing at least one by turn 4.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 20, 2015, 09:39:45 pm »

In unrelated news, I've now gotten to choose between Mage, Paladin, and Druid for three straight drafts. The Arena gods must be smiling down on me.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: October 20, 2015, 11:14:10 pm »

http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/9fy56q

I went 3-3, and I feel okay about it. I was sure I'd lost against the second Paladin. The Priest loss really hurt, because it was like "is he really just consistently drawing anti-me bullshit?".

I misplayed a little in the mage loss, I think, but I'm not sure they were big enough misplays to have made the difference.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 21, 2015, 11:44:22 am »

Innervate, Stonetusk Boar, Wild Growth, Dancing Swords, holy card disadvntage batman!

You had CA to negate it, though, so long as you drew it in the same hands.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: October 21, 2015, 01:14:48 pm »

http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/9fy56q

I went 3-3, and I feel okay about it. I was sure I'd lost against the second Paladin. The Priest loss really hurt, because it was like "is he really just consistently drawing anti-me bullshit?".

I misplayed a little in the mage loss, I think, but I'm not sure they were big enough misplays to have made the difference.

Silent Knight is rated higher than Acidic Swamp Ooze?  What am I missing about that card?  I've come round on Argent Horserider, but I still don't see the value of the 3 mana Shielded Minibot.  Hmm, perhaps it's something to do with it being a Shielded Minibot with first choice of when to pop the shield, even if it is 3 mana.

I don't feel Stonetusk Boar over Oasis Snapjaw.  1-drops can be great, but the best you can hope for with Stonetusk is to trade into your opponent's 1-drop, and that's not going to happen super often.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 21, 2015, 01:21:18 pm »

Boar over Snapjaw is awful.  AWDCTA is a scrub.  Swamp ooze is better than Silent Knight too.  He was fanboying on Silent Knight before it came out, it's still average.  It's better than Bloodfen Raptor though.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 21, 2015, 02:15:25 pm »

Boar over Snapjaw is awful.  AWDCTA is a scrub.  Swamp ooze is better than Silent Knight too.  He was fanboying on Silent Knight before it came out, it's still average.  It's better than Bloodfen Raptor though.

Surely Swamp Ooze has got to be better than Silent Knight. Oasis over Boar too. Boar is mostly worse than Moonfire.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 21, 2015, 02:16:43 pm »

In ADWCTA's defence, Heartharena did recommend Snapjaw over Boar.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: October 21, 2015, 02:24:54 pm »

Chairs you're a scrub :(

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: October 21, 2015, 08:24:49 pm »

Man I was freaking out because I didn't even have many 2-drops at that point.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 21, 2015, 09:39:34 pm »
+1

Man I was freaking out because I didn't even have many 2-drops at that point.

But boar doesn't count as a 1 drop. It's not the mana cost that matters, it's if it can kill anything else. The same goes for 1mana 1/2's. 2/1's are ok, but mostly clockwork gnome because it's gives a spare part on death.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: October 22, 2015, 03:40:49 am »

But boar doesn't count as a 1 drop. It's not the mana cost that matters, it's if it can kill anything else. The same goes for 1mana 1/2's. 2/1's are ok, but mostly clockwork gnome because it's gives a spare part on death.

1 power 1 drops are better than they used to be, specifically because they trade with 1 mana 2/1s. Not "good", but better.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 25, 2015, 05:44:33 am »
+1

Just killed someone with Malygos + Hellfire + Bane of Doom for 19 damage and exact lethal.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 25, 2015, 10:38:19 am »
+1

If you guys are wondering how to do well in arena, I figured it out. Draft Tirion Fordring. You play him turn 8. It's almost impossible to lose unless they have polymorph.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: October 25, 2015, 11:01:12 am »
+1

If you guys are wondering how to do well in arena, I figured it out. Draft Tirion Fordring. You play him turn 8. It's almost impossible to lose unless they have polymorph.
You still have to not lose by Turn 8.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: October 25, 2015, 01:00:01 pm »
+1

Coin him out on Turn 7.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: October 25, 2015, 02:47:14 pm »

Coin him out on Turn 7.

It's not hard to survive until turn 8. TGT slowed arena considerably. All you need is to curve out with not the worst 2/3/4 drops on the planet, and even then sometimes your opponent misses their curve, making it easy to keep up.

In arena curving out is so important that keeping 4 drops is only ok if you have tons of 2's and will draw into them. But chances are keeping a 4 drop isn't a good idea. I'd rather for 2/3/3 than nothing/2/4 or nothing/nothing/4.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: October 25, 2015, 02:59:15 pm »
+1

Coin him out on Turn 7.

It's not hard to survive until turn 8. TGT slowed arena considerably. All you need is to curve out with not the worst 2/3/4 drops on the planet, and even then sometimes your opponent misses their curve, making it easy to keep up.

In arena curving out is so important that keeping 4 drops is only ok if you have tons of 2's and will draw into them. But chances are keeping a 4 drop isn't a good idea. I'd rather for 2/3/3 than nothing/2/4 or nothing/nothing/4.

Ah yeah Arena has gotten slower I guess. I haven't had much time to play Hearthstone these days.

That "scrub" game which will not be named in this thread still gets some playtime for me though.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 25, 2015, 03:05:12 pm »
+1

Which game is the scrub game?

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 25, 2015, 08:52:32 pm »

You might have faced serious trouble with that strategy against this deck: http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/j018f2

I drafted this a week ago and managed to get 12 wins with it and I'm very happy about that. In case anybody wonders what it takes to get 12 wins - exclusively powerful cards, a perfect mana curve, synergies galore and a LOT of removal spells.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 25, 2015, 09:08:26 pm »

You might have faced serious trouble with that strategy against this deck: http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/j018f2

I drafted this a week ago and managed to get 12 wins with it and I'm very happy about that. In case anybody wonders what it takes to get 12 wins - exclusively powerful cards, a perfect mana curve, synergies galore and a LOT of removal spells.

Well that deck is crazy strong. Polymorph is really good, although my opinion of fireball has gone down a little. It's still amazing, but sometimes it just sits on my hand useless.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 26, 2015, 03:58:39 am »

Had an interesting series of events happen earlier today: http://imgur.com/a/A9MYJ

I'm pretty happy with my choice of play, and it ended up working out, but... was it actually right? I went for the super-greedy Grim Patron setup instead of just using Grommash to clear the Sunwalker because I was way down in cards and figured I would need a lot of value from my hand to win the game, and Patron and Revenge are both cards which could end up dead. The Grommash play is also a lot weaker to removal and buffs; if he has something like an Argent Commander or a Blessing of Kings I'd be totally screwed. The Patron setup is also potentially disastrous too, though, if he plays a taunt or kills my Worgen somehow... not sure which choice was better on average. I did end up winning the game though.

Also yeah, this deck is funny.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.