Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329167 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #900 on: September 24, 2015, 03:02:52 pm »

Shaman seems like it would be good, but it's not that good. I see a decent amount of priest too, which is strage because they are basically free wins.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 24, 2015, 03:06:05 pm »
+1

Priest is a really strong newbie class.  It's a high variance class because they are brutalized by a do nothing hero power if they fail to curve out, but have a great stay-in-the-lead hero power if they curve out and their opponent doesn't and they can top off their minions constantly.  Newbies like high variance classes, it's their best chance to go 3-3 occasionally.  But when they roll their way into 5-2 they tend to lose their because the overall power level is low.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 24, 2015, 03:16:16 pm »

I had pretty good arenas today. First I had an insane paladin with all essentials (Muster, Murlock, Consecrate, Truesilver, Minibot) + Tiron and Thermublugg that went 11-3. followed by a pretty mediocre priest with really nothing spectacular (like, 2x Ogres where the most exciting thing) that went 8-0 (than 8-3).

Even opened a Dreadscale! \o/

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 24, 2015, 05:07:39 pm »

I think Priest is like, my best class in Constructed, but in Arena I'd really like to be playing Mage/Hunter/Warlock as much as possible. Maybe Paladin, but I don't feel I know how to pilot Paladin very effectively.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 25, 2015, 09:32:38 am »

I think Priest is like, my best class in Constructed, but in Arena I'd really like to be playing Mage/Hunter/Warlock as much as possible. Maybe Paladin, but I don't feel I know how to pilot Paladin very effectively.

The issue would have to be failing to draft Paladin effectively or getting unlucky.  The gulf between Paladin and Hunter is so huge that you could select the worst turn 2 play out of all your 2 drops, pick the worst turn 3 play out of all your three drops, Dark Iron Dwarf the wrong target, Truesilver for face when you need board control, and still win slightly more games than a perfectly piloted hunter deck. 

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 25, 2015, 10:32:46 am »

Priest has a whole bunch of gimicky cards and combos in their arsenal. They're unreliable in constructed, and certainly suck in Arena. As a Priest, try to draft for as much value and board presence as possible over Divine Spirit/Inner Fire kind of stuff. You need targets for Velen's Chosen and PW:Shield after all. Try to only draft a Circle of Healing if you have Clerics and/or Auchenai.

A lot of stuff has to align properly to have a good Priest run. Same for Hunter and Warrior. For Paladin, you draft a couple of Truesilver/Consecration/Murloc Knight and oop 5 win run right there.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 25, 2015, 11:22:21 am »

Hunter can have decent runs without perfect decks. Draft a low curve, play a card turn 1 through 4 and you're set for 50% of games.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #907 on: September 25, 2015, 12:06:32 pm »

I think Hunter is definitely a decent class. The hero power just does so much for you if you manage to out-tempo your opponent in the early game. And there are a lot of things that can just work out super well and then you win because of that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 25, 2015, 12:41:39 pm »

My average wins as Hunter is far higher than any other class. Almost 7.0/run. If I get fewer than 4 wins I'm very disappointed. That said, over my last 50 games played -against- Hunter, I'm 42-8. I'm not certain how to interpret those figures being so different.

Paladin and Mage are definitely the next two "best" classes for me, at about 5.5/run.
Shaman and Druid run middle of the pack, about 4.5/run.
Warrior, Rogue & Priest I'm happy to get 3 wins. Anything more is bonus.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 25, 2015, 12:58:02 pm »

My average wins as Hunter is far higher than any other class. Almost 7.0/run. If I get fewer than 4 wins I'm very disappointed. That said, over my last 50 games played -against- Hunter, I'm 42-8. I'm not certain how to interpret those figures being so different.

Paladin and Mage are definitely the next two "best" classes for me, at about 5.5/run.
Shaman and Druid run middle of the pack, about 4.5/run.
Warrior, Rogue & Priest I'm happy to get 3 wins. Anything more is bonus.

I too do way better on Hunter. (6.12 wins average, it's my best class) I think some people either draft or play it differently than I do and that hurts their chances with Hunter. I always try to play it like you'd play an aggro deck, and when I'm given close choices I usually go with whatever is more aggro.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 25, 2015, 01:34:16 pm »

Hunter is great, it's just not broken.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 25, 2015, 02:49:02 pm »

So... I'm currently loving this deck:

Warlock

Power Overwhelming
2x Cogmaster
Flame Imp
Murloc Raider

Dark Bomb
Annoy-o-Tron
Dire Wolf Alpha
Frostwolf Grunt
Loot Hoarder
Mechwarper
Micro Machine
Pint-Sized Summoner

Demonwrath
Coliseum Manager
Harvest Golem
Hobgoblin
Imp Gang Boss
Shattered Sun Cleric
Spider Tank

Hellfire
Defender of Argus
Fel Cannon
Gnomish Inventor
Mechanical Yeti
Piloted Shredder
Sen'jin Shieldmasta

Sludge Belcher
Spectral Knight

Fearsome Doomguard

-----

Murloc Raider doesn't do much except be a 1 Drop.
Hobgoblin doesn't have a ton of targets, but there's enough to make him a threat. Followed by A-o-T he's awesome.
Coliseum Manager is really a nothing card in this deck.

Everything else is solid for an Aggro deck though, and oh my the mech synergy. A-o-T, Warper, Micro, Harvest, Spider Tank, Fel Cannon, Mech Yeti, Piloted Shredder & 2x Cogmasters for good measure. So much fun!
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 27, 2015, 01:38:18 am »

Jeez, I thought I drafted a really aggro Hunter that would sneak in lots of wins, and it ended 0-3.

Game 1: T1 Squire from my opponent against no one drop. Squire trades with my T2 drop. No T3 drop from me, Keeper + enemy's board removed my 4 drop, Swipe killed my 5 drop, and then I had no way to get back board.
Game 2: Shielded Minibot, my Mad Bomber didn't pop shield, Seal of Champions killed my 3 drop. Also had no way to get back board, even with my Explosive Traps.
Game 3: Goes okay, although Cobra killing Leokk and another monster means the boards are even instead of in my favor. Then, Demonheart on Flame Imp completely destroys my minions. Now, there's an 8/1, 4/1, 3/2 on board against nothing. I topdeck Explosive, but to be safe I play Mad Bomber too...which hits no minions. Okay, fine, play Explosive, it'll be okay as long as he has no healing...

Darkscale Healer comes down, I take 12 to the face and die soon after.

I had 3 Explosives, 1 Freezing Trap, an Eaglehorn, 2 Animal Companions, and a large pile of 2 + 3 drops, but it never mattered because my opponents kept having slightly better early game, and my deck had no way to get it back afterwards. Only thing I was missing was 1 drops, but the only 1 drop I passed up was Webspinner for Explosive.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:43:11 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 27, 2015, 01:53:44 am »

Hearthstone has two Squires now and both are turn 1 playable, so it is now necessary to specify when you are telling stories.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 27, 2015, 02:43:54 am »

Hearthstone has two Squires now and both are turn 1 playable, so it is now necessary to specify when you are telling stories.

Lowly Squire. It could have worked out okay if I had a 3 drop to punish the turn 2 Hero Power, but I didn't.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #915 on: September 27, 2015, 04:39:09 am »

One of them doesn't trade with a 2-drop.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 27, 2015, 03:43:46 pm »

One of them doesn't trade with a 2-drop.
Argent Squire trades with Bloodfen Raptor over two turns.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 27, 2015, 04:48:47 pm »

Explosive trap isn't super amazing in arena. At least in my experience. And you can't pull them you with Mad Scientist. I dont usually value it that highyl.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 28, 2015, 01:59:41 pm »

But you get an extra hunter hero power!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 28, 2015, 04:56:12 pm »

It's a consecration for 2 mana!

People don't hit your face in arena unless they are winning. And they are not winning with minions <2hp.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 28, 2015, 05:13:36 pm »

It's a consecration for 2 mana!

People don't hit your face in arena unless they are winning. And they are not winning with minions <2hp.

They are sometimes winning with hero life less than 2 HP though!  It's a Steady Shot that procs Secretkeeper let's go!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 28, 2015, 07:06:35 pm »

I still like Explosive Trap a lot. It gives you more freedom to go for face, because if they do an advantageous trade on board, the 2 damage when they do go for face can equalize board. (If you are playing mostly on curve, their minions actually are often at <= 2 health after the trade.) If they don't attack face, you get more turns to use Hero Power.

To be fair, after that arena run, I like Multishot/Explosive Shot a lot more.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 28, 2015, 07:23:51 pm »
+1

Man, look at you guys, actually drafting relevant class cards in Arena.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: September 28, 2015, 09:06:40 pm »

Wait are we drafting Murloc Knight or Muster for Battle, I'm lost

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: September 28, 2015, 09:45:23 pm »

Wait are we drafting Murloc Knight or Muster for Battle, I'm lost

Good thing they have different rarities. Imagine the horror of having to choose between them.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.