Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329333 times)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #825 on: September 13, 2015, 10:24:18 pm »

My past three drafts have had a total of 5 legendaries between them  :o
(Ysera, Onyxia, Icehowl, Nefarian, Nexus-Champion Saraad)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 15, 2015, 11:45:48 pm »

Whoah, if you play Astral Communion on 10 mana you get the Excess Mana card.  I found out when I cast Astral Communion right before clicking resign in arena.  Should have stayed in to see the topdeck.

That means it cycles for zero right? Whereas Wild Growth cycles for 2.

Of course I guess Wild Growth doesn't make you pitch your hand when you cycle it but in total topdeck mode it's not dead, that's cool

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 16, 2015, 10:00:05 am »

They had mentioned that during release of TGT

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 16, 2015, 10:05:19 am »

Yeah but I didn't know and now I'm super excited.

Also it's not like there is some clear spot for reading patch notes in order to learn the unwritten text of the new cards.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 16, 2015, 10:08:52 am »

The TGT thread maybe?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 16, 2015, 11:06:49 am »
+1

There should be a link in the client like League.  Or actual ingame documentation which is actually kind of a duh thing.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 16, 2015, 12:23:03 pm »

Well yeah. I don't know why they don't put explanations in th collection, and show all the extra non collectible cards

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 16, 2015, 08:24:59 pm »

So I just started using Heartharena at KingZog's suggestion and I decided to go purely by their picks.  I think it's a fairly strong draft.  It looks like it might be easy to fall behind, but I do have enough answers to hopefully stay ahead

http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/5ng42h

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 16, 2015, 08:43:00 pm »

I feel like Arena is intentionally shitting on me.  I drafted a Shaman whose only spell was Totemic Might, and faced a Mage with not one but *two* Flamestrikes, and a Blizzard.  Here I am playing with almost entirely neutral minions and you're practically playing a constructed deck.  What gives?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 16, 2015, 08:59:29 pm »

I feel like Arena is intentionally shitting on me.  I drafted a Shaman whose only spell was Totemic Might, and faced a Mage with not one but *two* Flamestrikes, and a Blizzard.  Here I am playing with almost entirely neutral minions and you're practically playing a constructed deck.  What gives?
No idea.  but if it makes you feel any better, I'm 2-2...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 16, 2015, 10:56:06 pm »

1. Why did you pick Totemic Might?

2. Shaman is actually not good in arena. I think it's down near the bottom, not as bad as Priest or Warrior, but possibly 3rd worst.

3. Sometimes you just face amazing decks. Sometimes you play morons who play 2 wisps and never trade so that every card of yours goes 2 for 1.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #836 on: September 17, 2015, 03:03:23 am »

That happens more or less whenever you play Shaman against Mage in Arena.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 17, 2015, 10:39:46 am »

Flamestrike is basic.  Lightning Storm is rare.  Blizzard ruined Shaman vs. Mage arena fights back when those rarities were assigned.

Your experience is going to feel more well designed if you stick to Pally, Mage, and Rogue.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 17, 2015, 12:43:23 pm »

1. Why did you pick Totemic Might?

2. Shaman is actually not good in arena. I think it's down near the bottom, not as bad as Priest or Warrior, but possibly 3rd worst.

3. Sometimes you just face amazing decks. Sometimes you play morons who play 2 wisps and never trade so that every card of yours goes 2 for 1.

1. Yes, this. I would pick almost anything over that spell. Maybe I would consider it if my choices were Totemic Might, Magma Rager, Wisp, and I already had some Totem cards.

2. Shaman is okay in Arena, it's not as bad as Warrior and still playable. The elemental cards and many of the overload spells are quite strong. Shaman's have access to weapons and their hero power, though unreliable, can do a lot more than some of the other classes because it affects board state. Some of my best runs have been with Shaman, but maybe I just understand the class. I'm terrible with Priest btw even though some people seem to think it's good in Arena, so ymmv. For me, I'd consider Shaman on par with Warlock, Priest and Druid, which I guess means I think it's in the bottom half of the pack, but it can do well if your draft is average. At least it's not Warrior!

3. This is true.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 17, 2015, 03:07:34 pm »

Yeah, I mean the classes are all pretty close except pally Mage and rogue kind of. But overload isn't actually that strong of an effect, and while their power affects the board, it affects it less than pally, Mage, rogue or Druid.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: September 17, 2015, 03:37:07 pm »

Speaking of Arena Shaman, I just played the following insane Shaman mirror: http://imgur.com/a/KAcFi

Featuring Ragnaros, Kodorider, Totemic Might, Elemental Destruction + Explosive Sheep, Sea Giant vs. Drakonid Crusher, and as the MVP, Stoneclaw Totem.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #841 on: September 17, 2015, 03:47:55 pm »

But overload isn't actually that strong of an effect

Actually, the exact opposite is true — cards with Overload would be stronger without it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 17, 2015, 06:04:10 pm »

I decided to give Heartharena a try.  It recommended Totemic Might because I already had a Tuskarr Totemic and a Totem Golem and a couple Inspire minions.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 17, 2015, 07:45:48 pm »

But overload isn't actually that strong of an effect

Actually, the exact opposite is true — cards with Overload would be stronger without it.

I mean the effect of using your next turn's mana isn't that good. Playing overload off curve can be game losing.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 17, 2015, 07:46:59 pm »

I decided to give Heartharena a try.  It recommended Totemic Might because I already had a Tuskarr Totemic and a Totem Golem and a couple Inspire minions.

Double post!

What were the other options? Also heartharena isn't always right, especially when it looks at synergies. Like it says spells synergize with Venture Co. Mercenary. And sure, they don't suffer the extra mana downside, but that isn't a reason to pick a bad spell over a good minion.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 17, 2015, 09:56:50 pm »

I have a feeling there was some rough drafting of ideas when TGT came out and not removing them out of the system later.

The proportion of totems you'd need in your deck for Totemic might to be good is through the roof.  The simulator very likely made a bad call.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 17, 2015, 10:22:29 pm »

Eh.  Still got 5 wins with the deck.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 18, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »

What's the pick here?

Heartarena says Shredder 79.02 Velen 80.84 Knight 56.90

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #848 on: September 18, 2015, 03:42:32 pm »

What's the pick here?

Heartarena says Shredder 79.02 Velen 80.84 Knight 56.90

I would probably pick Shredder.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 18, 2015, 03:50:23 pm »

Piloted Shredder.

Is it a prank because I feel silly for looking at the other two cards before making my recommendation?

I guess you might pick Holy Nova over Piloted Shredder but it's actually really close.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.