Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329231 times)

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #800 on: September 04, 2015, 05:03:54 am »

Yeah Murloc Knight should be an epic, for arena balance purposes.  In constructed it's not actually overwhelmingly amazing (good, OP even, but so is everything in constructed), but in arena it's stupid.  Make it rarer, blizz!
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 04, 2015, 07:24:58 am »

Got my first Murloc Knight in a draft today. Got three, in fact.

Ended up going 10-3. Lost my last game because I forgot I had the client muted and went AFK. The card is pretty bonkers.

That shouldn't have been a common, that's all. They should have put the lance on common (or even Tuskarr) and bumped the knight to rare.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 04, 2015, 10:15:20 am »

You'd think Blizzard would have learned a lesson about watching unbounded potential health growth when they had to swap the rarity of Questing Adventure and Flesheating Ghoul for arena balance back in beta.  Guess they forgot.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 04, 2015, 01:56:49 pm »

You'd think Blizzard would have learned a lesson about watching unbounded potential health growth when they had to swap the rarity of Questing Adventure and Flesheating Ghoul for arena balance back in beta.  Guess they forgot.
Well, it's not like Boneguard Lieutenant is broken. Murloc Knight is just a really strong card.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 04, 2015, 02:24:02 pm »
+1

Well, it's not like Boneguard Lieutenant is broken. Murloc Knight is just a really strong card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8dnmDpiA70

In this video, Blizzard reveals that, for now, the TGT cards are more likely to appear in the draft than other cards. According to Hearth Arena statistics, TGT cards are 25% more likely to appear. The extra probably of appearing from being a class card is in effect as well. This has lead to the classes that got good TGT commons shooting up in the Arena rankings (Paladin, Rogue, Druid) and the classes that got bad TGT commons dropping significantly in Arena (especially Warrior).

So, get ready to see a lot of Murloc Knight, Seal of Champion, Buccaneer, Undercity Valiant, and Flame Lance in Arena.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 04, 2015, 03:15:20 pm »

Boneguard Lieutenant averages half as much health growth per turn.  If you try listing another card with 2 health growth per turn like Hogger or Kvaldir Raider, the answer is an awful lot closer to "yeah, that's broken in Arena too".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #806 on: September 06, 2015, 11:15:22 am »

Why are so many Druids playing super aggressively in Arena? I get attacking face over making a favorable trade when you already have a good board presence and especially if your opponent is pretty low on health, but a lot of Druids I play against start playing as though they were face Hunters from turn 1.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 06, 2015, 11:34:15 am »

Why are so many Druids playing super aggressively in Arena? I get attacking face over making a favorable trade when you already have a good board presence and especially if your opponent is pretty low on health, but a lot of Druids I play against start playing as though they were face Hunters from turn 1.

They've entered Beast Mode.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 06, 2015, 01:23:06 pm »

In HS, more beasts = more face.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 07, 2015, 08:34:06 pm »

Randomly went 12-2 with a pretty generic Warlock deck: http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/aol318

Got a lot of mileage out of my AOEs and managed to dodge the big minion avalanches from Druid and Priest, so my zoo-ish deck ended up working out. Won a couple games at 1 life, and saw Dark Bargain (which wrecked me) and Elemental Destruction (which didn't) for the first time.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: September 08, 2015, 04:47:04 am »

Randomly went 12-2 with a pretty generic Warlock deck: http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/aol318

What a curve!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #811 on: September 08, 2015, 06:08:41 am »

And I thought this was a fairly good deck...

EDIT: at least I opened Mal'Ganis from the pack.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:09:58 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 08, 2015, 07:27:07 am »

I feel like arena has become so high variance that it's almost impossible to predict what a run will get.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 08, 2015, 07:39:31 am »
+1

I feel like arena has become so high variance that it's almost impossible to predict what a run will get.

You are guaranteed at least one rare card, though.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 08, 2015, 07:46:50 am »

I think he's saying that even once you've seen the draft, it's hard to predict the number of wins.  I mostly agree, though in extreme cases you can usually roughly tell.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 08, 2015, 11:25:12 am »

It's definitely harder to look at a deck and predict the number of wins than it was before.

I don't think it's THAT surprising that your deck went 0-3, though, Awaclus.  The curve is there, the average card quality is there, but there's a certain something missing and it's immediate cards.  Truesilver is the only card with Charge in the entire deck (except North Sea Kraken which is too late).

It does look like a 4-3 deck though.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 08, 2015, 12:40:36 pm »

I'm disappointed at how srs everybody is in the Hearthstone threads.

And I thought this was a fairly good deck...

EDIT: at least I opened Mal'Ganis from the pack.

Any ideas why you lost?  Were you running out of steam in the late game, or did people manage to out-tempo your wall of 2's?  Did your T3's feel bad?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #817 on: September 08, 2015, 01:03:00 pm »

Any ideas why you lost?  Were you running out of steam in the late game, or did people manage to out-tempo your wall of 2's?  Did your T3's feel bad?

I was generally doing good things every turn in all of the games. Two of the games were super close and I think I could have won them with just better joust luck (over those two games, I failed 3 out of 3 Tuskarr Jousters and both opponents won their only Master Jouster jousts), and in the third one, my opponent got a bunch of small minions on the battlefield early and I couldn't remove them fast enough before he got a Mukla's Champion.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 08, 2015, 02:13:42 pm »
+1

I think he's saying that even once you've seen the draft, it's hard to predict the number of wins.  I mostly agree, though in extreme cases you can usually roughly tell.

This is what I meant. I've drafted decent decks that for sure would get 4-6 wins, but I just lose from crazy RNG. And then I go 9-12 wins with a deck that has a ton of junk cards and a weird curve.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #819 on: September 13, 2015, 12:24:49 pm »

It's pretty fun when you can give Saraad stealth.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 13, 2015, 12:38:31 pm »

One day you guys will have to teach me arena drafting.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 13, 2015, 01:45:21 pm »

One day you guys will have to teach me arena drafting.

If you stream a draft on Twitch, there are totally people who will discuss every pick with you, live. It's fun!

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 13, 2015, 07:10:05 pm »

Heartharena is excellent when you're starting too.  Think about what you would pick beforehand, and think about why the recommendation is good afterwards.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 13, 2015, 07:14:14 pm »

Heartharena is excellent when you're starting too.  Think about what you would pick beforehand, and think about why the recommendation is good afterwards.
That's right. Sometimes you'll be surprised by how it can pick up in the weaknesses of your deck and make suggestions based on what your deck needs. Even if Heartharena doesn't recommend the best choice for a particular set of 3 cards, it's good to consider why they make a suggestion and why you don't agree with it.

Also yeah streaming an Arena run is pretty fun too.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 13, 2015, 07:54:26 pm »

I started using Haertharena and it's pretty good. I find myself picking a different card than it suggests around 1-2 times per run, and there are a lot of close picks where I could easily disagree with it's choices, but even just going with what it suggests and then reading it's analysis of your deck is very helpful. Also it tracks your stats an win rates, so you can pick classes that you do better with.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.