Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329419 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #750 on: August 26, 2015, 10:19:50 am »

I think the game immediately ends with you losing once you reach <= 0 health. Same thing for fatigue. You wouldn't be waiting around that much.
If that's true then it's a recent change.  I have been stuck for almost a minute several times with the auchenai thing, with my opponent's health reaching -25 or -30 before the game finally realises they're dead.
Oh wow, that sucks. The devs have said the Auchenai/Mistress interaction is indented though, so it's not like they're 100% averse the infinite damage stuff.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 26, 2015, 10:48:51 am »

It's more they're 100% averse to changing their code if they can somehow get around it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 26, 2015, 10:59:32 am »

Yeah, Auchenai+Mistress of Pain is already in the game to do infinite damage, so bending the rules is not a policy they are consistently using with regard to interactions like Divine Favor-Fatigue.  It's not really fair when some priest discovers in an endgame position in arena "Hey, that guy has 2 cards in hand and none in deck, I can kill him if I put a Finnicky Cloakfield on my Jeeves", then it doesn't work, then later the same game he pops a Piloted Shredder and finds Mistress of Pain is a victim of an infinite damage kill.
If Divine Favor really needs to function the way it does now (because players are illiterate?  Because it reaches the critical point of being underpowered if that 'draw one card take one fatigue' damage use case is no longer available? Because Jeeves has 4 health and omg how do you kill something so big in time?) then the text should simply be corrected to reflect its actual behavior, such as "Draw the number of cards you'd need to have as many in hand as your opponent."

Fun fact, Jeeves will actually repeat his draw quote multiple times when the infinite loop is supposed to happen, possibly because they had to do a crappy work around to break code that was working correctly at first.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:01:45 am by popsofctown »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #753 on: August 28, 2015, 06:26:32 am »
+1

Man, Murloc Knight is sick.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 28, 2015, 07:47:04 am »
+3

Achievement unlocked: won a game I had no business winning by using Reversing Switch to make Goblin Sapper an 8/6.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 28, 2015, 10:59:34 am »
+3

Achievement unlocked: won a game I had no business winning by using Reversing Switch to make Goblin Sapper an 8/6.
Did you friend the victim in order to ask him what's Sappenin

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 28, 2015, 12:42:56 pm »
+1

I did that this week too! (except it was with a Crazed Alchemist) I have to ask, did you Faceless Manipulator the Goblin Sapper to make two of them? Because I did that. It felt good.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 28, 2015, 03:54:58 pm »

Was just playing an Arena game.

Opponent's Mind Control Tech?  Snags my 8/8 Frostwolf Warlord.

My Mind Control Tech?  Snags his Silver Hand Recruit.

*head desk*
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 28, 2015, 11:16:52 pm »

*head desk*

You clearly don't know the rules of MC Tech. That's how the card is supposed to work.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 28, 2015, 11:59:35 pm »
+2

*head desk*

You clearly don't know the rules of MC Tech. That's how the card is supposed to work.

3 Mana: Screw Adam Wero over.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 29, 2015, 12:55:41 am »

I think first and second place, Mage and Paladin, switched with this expansion.  Paladin got better class cards for sure, and the inspire mechanic works better with Paladin hero power than Mage hero power in general, because a 1/1 is always useful, while sometimes pinging face just to trigger an inspire effect is lame.  Also, as with every expansion, it's harder to get Flamestrike, and in turn harder to get double Flamestrike, a phenomenon that allows you to design a deck around the expectation of drawing Flamestrike at some point.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 29, 2015, 02:30:24 am »

I think first and second place, Mage and Paladin, switched with this expansion.  Paladin got better class cards for sure, and the inspire mechanic works better with Paladin hero power than Mage hero power in general, because a 1/1 is always useful, while sometimes pinging face just to trigger an inspire effect is lame.  Also, as with every expansion, it's harder to get Flamestrike, and in turn harder to get double Flamestrike, a phenomenon that allows you to design a deck around the expectation of drawing Flamestrike at some point.

Here's some stats for the day 1 arenas recorded on Heartharena, if you're interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3iewpe/the_first_class_statistics_of_tgt_day_1_at/

Rogue   5.1245
Paladin   5.1162
Mage      4.8161
Druid      4.5671
Shaman   4.4695
Warlock   4.1866
Hunter   3.9658
Priest   3.8910
Warrior   3.6886

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #762 on: August 29, 2015, 04:18:15 am »

Rogue   5.1245
Paladin   5.1162
Mage      4.8161
Druid      4.5671
Shaman   4.4695
Warlock   4.1866
Hunter   3.9658
Priest   3.8910
Warrior   3.6886

Huh, I'm surprised that Hunter is that low. I think it got pretty good class cards for Arena and I've been picking it over Druid, Shaman and Warlock and having decent results too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 29, 2015, 10:38:50 am »

Effigy is fantastic in arena. Not a typical outcome, but I was behind against a shaman, dropped effigy and war golem then held back until he killed it and out popped Antonidas. I came back and won

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 29, 2015, 12:09:37 pm »

I can believe hunter is that low. I picked it and only went 3 wins, despite some of the strong new cards like 2 Power shots and a decent curve.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: August 29, 2015, 12:52:03 pm »

Rogue   5.1245
Paladin   5.1162
Mage      4.8161
Druid      4.5671
Shaman   4.4695
Warlock   4.1866
Hunter   3.9658
Priest   3.8910
Warrior   3.6886

Huh, I'm surprised that Hunter is that low. I think it got pretty good class cards for Arena and I've been picking it over Druid, Shaman and Warlock and having decent results too.

I think it's because there's just generally better control cards out there. Especially more ways to gain health that are decent. Hunter decks tend to play more aggressively even in arena so the availability of better neutral control cards hurts them.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 30, 2015, 03:38:43 am »

TGT in a nutshell: http://i.imgur.com/Zb4BxUB.jpg

Playing around the Hunter secret was interesting. Either Snake Trap or Bear Trap would've been a dream outcome, so I had to decide whether attacking face or the Minibot was better in the other cases.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 30, 2015, 12:20:00 pm »

I had heard that the pack reward for Arena was weight to have TGT packs be more likely to be given out than packs from other sets.

I found a Reddit page supporting this news:
https://m.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3i83ep/psa_greater_chance_to_receive_tgt_packs_from/

I've definitely noticed that I get more TGT packs than other types of packs. The majority of my pack rewards in Arena have been TGT, with the rest being GvG. For me this weighting accurately reflects the proportion in which I want TGT packs compared to the packs from the other sets. There are still a bunch of Epics from the previous sets I'd like to have.

If they make more GvG/TGT style expansion, then I think they'll want to reconsider the Arena reward system they currently have at some point.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 30, 2015, 01:15:40 pm »
+1

I think there might be a correlation between pack newness and the record you got in arena.  I get lots of base packs for 3-3s and my 12-2 run got a TGT pack

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 30, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »

I think there might be a correlation between pack newness and the record you got in arena.  I get lots of base packs for 3-3s and my 12-2 run got a TGT pack

I got a GvG for 6-3.  Got a very sad disconnect in my first game, else I think it could have gone further: first time I've drafted 3 Flamestrikes. Also had two Pit Fighters, which were amazingly good.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #770 on: August 30, 2015, 01:32:39 pm »
+1

With my incredibly high sample size of maybe 6 Arena runs, I think it might be based on how many cards you own from each set. I have been playing a lot of Arena ever since GvG was released, so usually a GvG pack is just 40 dust for me, but I don't have all that many Classic cards (I'm still missing a lot of commons, even). And I've gotten mostly Classic packs and TGT packs from my Arena runs.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 30, 2015, 01:38:31 pm »
+1

I haven't found any correlation to how well I do in the Arena run with what pack I get. We need bigger sample sizes. I'll make notes of what pack I get in Heartharena, though it would be cool if Heartharena or Arena Mastery would try to compile statistics on the pack received by asking users to input what set the pack they got came from.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 30, 2015, 10:45:39 pm »

I have 5 flamestrikes this run. Let no one ever accuse Blizzard of pseudorandoming the arena picks..

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 30, 2015, 11:10:43 pm »

FWIW I've done 6 arenas and gotten all TGT packs.  It's the expansion I have least of by far as well.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 30, 2015, 11:33:59 pm »

I've only around 6 runs, but have no obvious trend to the packs I get. I own nearly all of GvG, and most of Classic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.