Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329287 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #725 on: August 24, 2015, 06:07:26 pm »

My first TGT arena:

Shaman (I was offered hunter and warrior...)

Stonetusk Boar

Ancestral knowledge
(2) Crackle
Flametongue
Garrison Commander
Owl
Mad Bomber
Mechwarper
Totem Golem
(2) Zapomatic

Far Sight (ugh, my other options were ancestor's call and hobgoblin)
Hex
Lava Burst
Lightning Storm
Dalaran Mage
Ogre Brute
Unbound Elemental

Cult Master
DID
Evil Heckler
Violet Teacher

Faceless
Frostwolf Warlord
Spectral Knight
Venture Co.

Crusher
Sunwalker

North Sea Kraken

Overall, I'm not thinking this will go great.  But I'm excited for totem golem, and garrison commander.
Yeah, I went 1-3...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:51:09 pm by AHoppy »

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 24, 2015, 09:08:16 pm »

Started my first TGT run! The rise of Druid seems to have been overstated, as I'm 1-2 right now... just finished a match against a Priest which went to double fatigue, in large part thanks to both players gaining like 20 life due to Tournament Medic, Ancient of Lore, Power Word: Glory, Thoughtstolen Tournament Medic, Converted Ancient of Lore, Zombie Chow, and both hero powers being used 10+ times. Almost managed to kill him in fatigue with my Dancing Swords, but his last card was a Temple Enforcer :(
Who predicted druid would rise?  Wildwaker is unreliable, Living Roots is somewhere between bad and ok, and Druid of the Saber is a great card but in a mana cost slot that all 9 classes have little problem filling with neutrals.

Meanwhile, Inspire emphasizes the quality of hero power in Arena, but while Druid doesn't have the worst hero power it definitely does not have the best hero power, that's for sure.

Well, the Heartharena folks did, at least. I dunno how much stock you put into their opinions, but they have Living Roots as better than all but two neutral commons, Druid of the Saber above the Yetis, and Savage Combatant and Darnassus Aspirant both better than ALL neutral rares. Wildwalker (not waker :P) is solidly above average, too.

Also, the slower meta (due to the presence of sustained-value cards in Inspires, more healing, and strong big commons like North Sea Kraken and Pit Fighter) gives Druids a big boost, since they've got the ramp to reach lategame faster and a lot of their strongest cards are best in the lategame. See this video for some discussion:

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 24, 2015, 10:18:41 pm »

I done 4 arenas, 8-3, 5-3, 3-3 and.. 1-3. So not great.

But the fact that I got only 2 new packs and 2 old ones is REALLY demoralizing :(

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 24, 2015, 10:24:43 pm »

Can you say value? http://i.imgur.com/3OqwDTc.jpg

Edit: Please ignore my last link: http://imgur.com/kdNyOD5
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:35:49 pm by ycz6 »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 25, 2015, 04:30:02 am »

Mukla's Champ animation is bonkers. And so is Murloc Knight. (the card, not animation).

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 25, 2015, 06:34:42 am »

Mukla's Champ animation is bonkers. And so is Murloc Knight. (the card, not animation).
Anyone else annoyed at how slow the joust animation is?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #731 on: August 25, 2015, 06:54:46 am »

Yes. Especially that card which puts the jousted card into your hand, why does it have to put it back into the deck before drawing it?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 25, 2015, 07:11:47 am »

Yes. Especially that card which puts the jousted card into your hand, why does it have to put it back into the deck before drawing it?

Because they decided to not create custom joust animation for it and just used standard joust animation and standard draw animation

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 25, 2015, 09:11:24 am »

Had a fantastic mage deck that was at 6/1 before tGT. Post TGT it ended 6/3. The new cards made a huge difference against a deck with none of them in it (mine).
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 25, 2015, 10:43:07 am »

Because they decided to not create custom joust animation for it and just used standard joust animation and standard draw animation
That's no excuse...

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: August 25, 2015, 10:45:24 am »

I guess they didn't want to make an exception for joust, because all other ones it just goes right back into your deck.   They would need an explicit exception for this one.  So I guess it makes sense from a coding perspective, it's just frustrating that on the front end they couldn't just change the animation or something.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 25, 2015, 10:46:57 am »
+2

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 25, 2015, 12:03:18 pm »
+1

They are high quality software engineers
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/18704213104?page=1#3
You know, software engineers are supposed to be trained to communicate their code effectively and design to specification.

It seems that instead what they do is make a specification on cards then have the code only do approximately what the cards say whenever it is of convenience to the coder based on the current software. Maybe Jeeves and the empty deck interaction was treated this way too.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 25, 2015, 02:02:57 pm »

They also do it when it is of convenience for "balance" if you include the sneak Bloodsail Raider nerf and Water Elemental buff (Balance is in quotes because Bloodsail Raider wombo combo is weaker than Patron Warrior is right now).
Jeeves, Divine Favor, Leeroy+Knife Juggler, Holy Wrath+Molten, Sapping to a full hand (I mean, you gotta at least have like an official rules document saying "sapping to hand means destroy a minion", it's not like the operation is inherently defined) and now Mistcaller all have this "our code is right, our wording is right, your english or basic logic must be wrong" garbage to justify bad workmanship.  There's so much of the garbage that I forget some of it, like Shadow Madness, which is just not worth it for people complain about when there are other things wrong I guess.

Someone reported in the forums that Core Rager can't be played as a 7/7 while Starving Buzzard is out, which directly contradicts Warsong Commander's behavior with Bloodsail Raider.  Either "When you summon" triggers happen first or battlecry triggers happen first, not both.  They didn't even make a consistent switch.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #739 on: August 25, 2015, 03:43:07 pm »

Why am I losing to decks with Wisps now?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 25, 2015, 04:13:33 pm »

As in plural? A single Wisp won't break a deck, and sometimes it really is the best choice, but usually only for purposes of curve.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #741 on: August 25, 2015, 04:39:57 pm »

As in plural? A single Wisp won't break a deck, and sometimes it really is the best choice, but usually only for purposes of curve.

Well, today I lost against a Hunter with just a single Wisp, but a while ago I lost against a Druid with two.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 25, 2015, 06:29:51 pm »

Playing Priest in a pretty much lost game, my board is Spawn of Shadows and a 5/5 Holy Champion.
Opponent has a way bigger board, doesn't clear and leaves me at 4 hp.
I heal my face, triggering Spawn of Shadows and Holy Champion. Then I play Dark Iron Dwarf and Dire Wolf Alpha and hit him for 16 and exact lethal.

Somehow this average looking Priest deck is 7-0, and therefore has more wins then all my previous TGT arenas. Holy Champion is quite good apparently.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 25, 2015, 06:40:29 pm »

Wisp helps you active Brave Hunter

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 26, 2015, 05:51:39 am »

They also do it when it is of convenience for "balance" if you include the sneak Bloodsail Raider nerf and Water Elemental buff (Balance is in quotes because Bloodsail Raider wombo combo is weaker than Patron Warrior is right now).
Jeeves, Divine Favor, Leeroy+Knife Juggler, Holy Wrath+Molten, Sapping to a full hand (I mean, you gotta at least have like an official rules document saying "sapping to hand means destroy a minion", it's not like the operation is inherently defined) and now Mistcaller all have this "our code is right, our wording is right, your english or basic logic must be wrong" garbage to justify bad workmanship.  There's so much of the garbage that I forget some of it, like Shadow Madness, which is just not worth it for people complain about when there are other things wrong I guess.

Someone reported in the forums that Core Rager can't be played as a 7/7 while Starving Buzzard is out, which directly contradicts Warsong Commander's behavior with Bloodsail Raider.  Either "When you summon" triggers happen first or battlecry triggers happen first, not both.  They didn't even make a consistent switch.

I agree with all of this, it's all such a hack-job.  But the one problem that everyone seems to include in these lists of inconsistencies is Jeeves/Divine Favor.  Can someone explain to me what the issue is here?  Does Divine Favor work differently to Jeeves in fatigue?  If so, yeah that's a problem. 

If they're the same, I really don't see the issue.  Clearly you can't draw to X, so some contingency rule needs to be in place.  It's clear to anyone playing that a special rule must be put in place, so they just take a look at what it is.  This is a much better situation than other hackjob rules, where you can play a card without even realising that something obscure and weird/inconsistent is going to happen.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #745 on: August 26, 2015, 05:58:48 am »

If they're the same, I really don't see the issue.  Clearly you can't draw to X, so some contingency rule needs to be in place.  It's clear to anyone playing that a special rule must be put in place, so they just take a look at what it is.

Yes, and that rule is called "fatigue". You take damage when you have to draw cards that you can't draw. If a card tells you to draw until a condition is met, then you should draw until that condition is actually met, and if it's a condition that can't be met, it should just mean that you take fatigue damage until you die.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 26, 2015, 06:48:31 am »

If they're the same, I really don't see the issue.  Clearly you can't draw to X, so some contingency rule needs to be in place.  It's clear to anyone playing that a special rule must be put in place, so they just take a look at what it is.

Yes, and that rule is called "fatigue". You take damage when you have to draw cards that you can't draw. If a card tells you to draw until a condition is met, then you should draw until that condition is actually met, and if it's a condition that can't be met, it should just mean that you take fatigue damage until you die.
This is what I don't agree with.  I don't see that as the automatic, logical conclusion at all.  It's one of the options, certainly.  But I don't think it follows logically.  Given which, it makes sense that Blizz should go with a different option which is clearly much better from a gameplay standpoint.

EDIT: Also, see the auchenai soulpriest/mistress of pain interaction for examples of why "take damage until you die" is a bad thing.  You just wait around forever, at like -20 health and falling, like "alright, whatever, next game now please?"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:50:23 am by Haddock »
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 26, 2015, 08:58:48 am »

This is what I don't agree with.  I don't see that as the automatic, logical conclusion at all.  It's one of the options, certainly.  But I don't think it follows logically.  Given which, it makes sense that Blizz should go with a different option which is clearly much better from a gameplay standpoint.

EDIT: Also, see the auchenai soulpriest/mistress of pain interaction for examples of why "take damage until you die" is a bad thing.  You just wait around forever, at like -20 health and falling, like "alright, whatever, next game now please?"
I think the game immediately ends with you losing once you reach <= 0 health. Same thing for fatigue. You wouldn't be waiting around that much.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 26, 2015, 09:26:06 am »

I think the game immediately ends with you losing once you reach <= 0 health. Same thing for fatigue. You wouldn't be waiting around that much.
If that's true then it's a recent change.  I have been stuck for almost a minute several times with the auchenai thing, with my opponent's health reaching -25 or -30 before the game finally realises they're dead.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 26, 2015, 10:17:46 am »

Just had the closest I ever came to a 12-0. My only loss was a dc in game 4.

I didn't expect this deck to do so well, since it had no AoE and some pretty subpar cards, but somehow it worked out. I never got low enough to play the Molten while i had it in hand by the way.
Illuminator
Chillwind Yeti x 2
Shattered Sun Cleric
Injured Kvaldir
Zombie Chow
Piloted Shredder
Pit Fighter
Polymorph x 2
Sunwalker
Abusive Sergeant
Knife Juggler
Violet Teacher
Flame Lance
Bomb Lobber
Fen Creeper
Puddlestomper
Lowly Squire
Arcane Missiles
Molten Giant
Bloodsail Raider
Boulderfist Ogre
Fireball
Amani Berserker
Madder Bomber
Mechanical Yeti
Stormwind Knight
Bluegill Warrior
Master Jouster
Madder Bomber
Molten Giant
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.