Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 330691 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #550 on: May 13, 2015, 10:07:43 am »

I was pretty happy to get 4 wins out of this deck:
http://arenamastery.com/DB3N

The last game I played was ridiculous.  Shaman opens T2 Mechwarper, T3 Powermace, T4 Harvest Golem + Spider tank.  And this is arena...

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 13, 2015, 12:26:29 pm »

Ick Majordomo. Aside from that I like cards you picked. Not an amazing draft, but you did well with it if you got 4 wins.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 13, 2015, 06:51:56 pm »

Would loatheb or Harrison been better?

My next draft was so much more satisfying: http://arenamastery.com/nuIc

So far, 3-1, with the one loss being against a ragnaros I couldn't get rid of (he had also drafted a cairne that didn't come into play until he had already won)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 13, 2015, 08:21:48 pm »

I don't know if he somehow won you a game in some weird situation, but I'd take Loatheb there, but not judge you for taking Harrison if you thought you were going to go up against more Paladins than Mages. Loatheb isn't as strong in Arena as in Constructed as you see less spells in Arena, but he's still a 5/5 for 5 that prevents board clear/removal spells the turn after he's played, which can win you the game when an opponent needs to remove something but can't use their spell to do it. Harrison is really strong against weapon classes, but mediocre against classes without weapons.

Majordomo costs !9!, and if he dies he can take you from winning the game with clear board control to immediately losing to some burn cards. Yeah he has a big body, but it costs too much. I'd rather strengthen my mid game with a solid 5 drop. He's not the worst card ever, but he's pretty low on the list of Legendaries I'd pick. I guess you were 17 cards in and hadn't seen a big body until he showed up so I can see the temptation, but I'd probably just take the good 5 drop and hope for a better big drop to come later in the draft.

(Also relevant: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12330.msg490950#msg490950)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 14, 2015, 09:26:36 am »

He was a good large body one time, but yeah, he wasn't actually all that great...

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: May 14, 2015, 08:17:10 pm »

Interaction I just saw for the first time: If you play Corruption on an opponent's minion, and then on their turn your opponent plays Avenge, then at the beginning of your turn, the Avenge will trigger after Corruption. Not unexpected or confusing, or anything, just kinda surprising. (Would also work with Duplicate and Redemption, I suppose.)

In the next game, my opponent topdecked Tree of Life with 3 health and no cards in hand or on board. I was thinking of cards he could draw to survive, and I thought of Deathwing, but not that :P First time I've ever seen it played in Arena.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:18:39 pm by ycz6 »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 15, 2015, 12:56:28 am »

My most recent arena deck looks really fun. I have no idea how well it's going to do though.

Execute
Whirlwind
Dragon Egg

Fiery War Axe
Rampage
Bloodsail Raider
3x Cruel Taskmaster
Faerie Dragon
Wild Pyromancer

Frothing Berserker
2x Jungle Panther
2x Mind Control Tech

2x Axe Flinger
Dark Iron Dwarf
Kezan Mystic
Korkron Elite
Mechanical Yeti
Sen;jin Shieldmasta

Gurubashi Berzerker
Nightblade
Salty Dog
Siege Engine
Spiteful Smith

2x Boulderfist Ogre

Turns out the answer is 5-3. I had a fun game where Axe Flinger got 3 procs and gave me lethal through Nightblade...but overall the deck died once I hit opponents with removal.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:02:53 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 16, 2015, 02:45:25 pm »

Managed to draft a pretty amazing Rogue deck today, and managed to take it to 11-1. 

I didn't see a single Flamestrike.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 18, 2015, 11:31:34 pm »
+3

11-1 is a mysterious and unforgiving place

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 28, 2015, 09:28:48 pm »

I promise this is Arena: http://imgur.com/n22sf8y

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 29, 2015, 12:36:28 am »
+1

Is it that wierd to get Force + Roar in Arena?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 29, 2015, 04:13:22 am »

Is it that wierd to get Force + Roar in Arena?
You know, you wouldn't think so, but I've never had it before. I think I've only had Force of Nature once or twice before, in fact. And it's also the fact that all of the visible cards could plausibly appear in a constructed Tempo Mage vs Midrange Druid deck. The Drakonid wouldn't be standard, but I've seen crazier.

Anyway, that deck went 3-3, as (surprise) it had too many conditional cards and an inconsistent midgame. I just drafted a Rogue deck which looks like it might have the same weaknesses, but also has the potential to go crazy, in more than one way:

Backstab x3
Shadowstep x2

Eviscerate
Amani Berserker
Bloodfen Raptor
Mana Addict
Mechwarper x2

Harvest Golem
Scarlet Crusader
SI:7 Agent

Chillwind Yeti
Dark Iron Dwarf
Defender of Argus
Gnomish Inventor
Piloted Shredder
Twilight Drake
Violet Teacher

Assassin's Blade
Assassinate
Antique Healbot
Azure Drake
Blackwing Corruptor x2
Madder Bomber

Sprint

Nozdormu

The dream is to play Nozdormu, force my opponent into panic dropping junk creatures, Shadowstepping the Nozdormu, then double Blackwing Corruptor to clear his board. It's gonna happen.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 29, 2015, 10:54:34 am »

That rogue deck looks more like it has weak 2 drops and no big minions besides Noz. I think that will be the real downfall. You can't go aggro but you'll also lost control because you have no minions to contest other large minions.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 29, 2015, 12:35:52 pm »

It's got the possibility to be really strong with lucky starts (any time he can play on curve he'll feel like his deck is super strong as he's likely to draw into the 4s and 5s he needs), but the lack of 2s and 3s will probably manifest itself in some bad luck that'll cause you to lose the early game and have really tough come backs. 3 Backstabs can at least mitigate this a bit, especially if you can combo them with an SI:7 Agent in the early game.

I wouldn't expect amazing things out of this deck, but I'd at least expect 3 wins.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 29, 2015, 12:42:20 pm »

Arena Zoo! I just drafted this and I'm pretty pleased with it. Especially all the Demon synergies. Demonwrath is so strong in Arena when you have a deck full of demons.

1s:
Abusive
Flame Imp
Blood Imp
Soulfire

2s:
River Croc
Acidic Swamp Ooze
Faerie Dragon
Murloc Tidehunter
Haunted Creeper
Mechwarper
Dark Bomb x 2

3s:
Imp Gang Boss x 2
Worgen
Wolfrider
Emperor Cobra
Demonwrath

4s:
Teacher
Shredder
Hungry Dragon
Chillwind Yeti
Spell Breaker
Voidcaller

5s (and beyond):
Doomguard
Fen Creeper
Frostwolf Warlord
Madder Bomber
Floating Watcher
Dread Infernal

(Here's the draft if anyone wants to comment on it: http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/1o2641)

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 29, 2015, 09:46:33 pm »

It's got the possibility to be really strong with lucky starts (any time he can play on curve he'll feel like his deck is super strong as he's likely to draw into the 4s and 5s he needs), but the lack of 2s and 3s will probably manifest itself in some bad luck that'll cause you to lose the early game and have really tough come backs. 3 Backstabs can at least mitigate this a bit, especially if you can combo them with an SI:7 Agent in the early game.

I wouldn't expect amazing things out of this deck, but I'd at least expect 3 wins.
6-0

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 29, 2015, 10:20:00 pm »

6-0

Nice! I like being proven wrong too.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 29, 2015, 11:03:07 pm »

6-0

Nice! I like being proven wrong too.
6-3

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 30, 2015, 12:50:22 am »

12-1 with a Paladin deck with no Consecrate :O

Okay, to be fair I had 1 Truesilver, Piloted Shredder, Piloted Sky Golem, 2 or 3 Azure Drakes with 1 Blackwing Corruptor, 1 Avenging Wrath, and other good stuff. My early game was just okay, my midgame had insane value, my curve topped out at Boulderfist Ogre, and I usually used Avenging Wrath to push for lethal before late game could happen.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 30, 2015, 12:11:46 pm »

After your 11-1 post, seeing force roar and constructed mage vs. druid mage -1 druid card was not as impressive.

The former was beautiful and I cried a little.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 31, 2015, 01:55:54 am »

constructed mage vs. druid mage -1 druid card

???

Edit: Did not know three question marks made that emote

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 01, 2015, 08:35:53 am »

i meant constructed mage vs. constructed druid.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 02, 2015, 02:12:02 pm »
+1

Why Deathlord is not a good 3-drop: http://imgur.com/1JrCZli
Things you can only do after testing for Flamestrike: http://imgur.com/NLTRo3Z
Arena Demonlock dream (not pictured: 2x Voidcaller, 2x Floating Watcher): http://imgur.com/E6wJ2rz

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 02, 2015, 02:30:03 pm »

But your board is so good, I don't see the problem here. You trade the damaged/buffed ooze for the Senjin and then continue winning the game. Presumably he had to use a significant amount of resources to get out a card you can easily deal with.

After looking at the image again I see that you killed the Deathlord and got a free Belcher out of it. I actually think Deathlord is an okay (but unreliable) card. It has amazing stats and usually takes enough resources to kill that it ends up being on par with other 3 drops. Sometimes it's terrible, the first time I used it I gave my opponent a free Ragnaros  :'(, but it can be as good for you as for him. Especially if they just end up getting a card you play for the battlecry. It feels great to get a Bomb Lobber, Defender of Argus, Novice Engineer or an Abusive Sargent (sp?).

Things you can only do after testing for Flamestrike: http://imgur.com/NLTRo3Z
Arena Demonlock dream (not pictured: 2x Voidcaller, 2x Floating Watcher): http://imgur.com/E6wJ2rz
As to these, nice!

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 02, 2015, 08:39:21 pm »

But your board is so good, I don't see the problem here. You trade the damaged/buffed ooze for the Senjin and then continue winning the game. Presumably he had to use a significant amount of resources to get out a card you can easily deal with.

After looking at the image again I see that you killed the Deathlord and got a free Belcher out of it. I actually think Deathlord is an okay (but unreliable) card. It has amazing stats and usually takes enough resources to kill that it ends up being on par with other 3 drops. Sometimes it's terrible, the first time I used it I gave my opponent a free Ragnaros  :'(, but it can be as good for you as for him. Especially if they just end up getting a card you play for the battlecry. It feels great to get a Bomb Lobber, Defender of Argus, Novice Engineer or an Abusive Sargent (sp?).

Deathlord can definitely do amazing things, but I still think the fact that it's so inconsistent makes it hard to call definitively "good". Times when it's both safe and useful to drop Deathlord are frustratingly rare, and even in those cases - like here, where my opponent dropped it against my 3/2 Ooze and totems - you can get screwed by combat tricks.

Compare it to Hungry Dragon, for instance. Both are worth about ~5.5 mana in stats not counting their downsides, and Deathlord costs 1 mana less, but the minion your opponent gets costs a lot more and is higher-quality on average. With Hungry Dragon, you're unlikely to outright lose the game because of the downside, and you're always in control of when the downside occurs. And Hungry Dragon isn't even considered that great in Arena.

"Sergeant" doesn't usually come up in discussions of the hardest-to-spell English words, but I really think it's up there with the "occurrence"s and "privilege"s of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.