Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329263 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #525 on: April 29, 2015, 05:24:14 pm »

I think you need to use the "Share this arena" Link, that one won't connect for me.
http://arenamastery.com/nCs7

I don't play Warlock much, so take this with a grain of salt, but here's where I differ from you:
6. I think LotA is generally better than Unstable Ghoul.
8. Healer is better than Gurubashi, even more so because as Warlock your life is a real resource.
10. Deathlord is pretty bad in arena. You're better off with Blademaster
11. Darkbomb > Faerie Dragon. In general, early game removal is better than early game minions because of the tempo. You get the damage immediately.
12. Hungry Dragon is really good. There are very few things you should take over it. Probably just Piloted Shredder and OP class cards. Warlock doesn't have any of those. Shadowbolt is good, but not great.
16. You might want to think about War Golem here. You don't have any big dudes yet, and Panda is a little worse for Warlock than for other classes since the card advantage isn't as important.
21. Soulfire is still really good in arena. I think I still take it over any 1-2 drop minion. Same idea as Darkbomb.
24. Again, Soulfire.

EDIT: I was looking at 4/28 Warlock

I agree with what HME said, plus I'd add that you drafted a lot of AOE that hits everything (that demon spell, sheep, Unstable Ghoul) and minions that would die to that AOE. Those cards that AOE the board are not nearly as good if most of your minions die to them. When you have cards like that you need to value cards with more health more highly. (So Gnomish Inventor over Faerie Dragon, River Croc over Voodoo Doctor).

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 30, 2015, 04:07:52 pm »

After someone said we should play arena because lots of noobs on there I thought I would go back on- have always seemed to be much better at arena than constructed. Blizzard obviously wants me to enjoy the run- drafted three legendaries. And not all junk ones either- have a Tirion, trying out a Bolvar, and got Sneed's. Have two consecration and truesilvers as well...
So far 6-0, though not doing very well against this mage right now...

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 30, 2015, 06:03:15 pm »

Is it just me or does Dark Iron Skulker's mere existence make Rogue way stronger in arena?

It is very good. But it's a rare and not enough to push it even close to mage. I think Priest is still better overall too.
For what it's worth, ADWCTA's post on the BRM Arena meta contains the following:

Quote from: ADWCTA
New Class Order. Here it is: Mage, Paladin | Rogue, Warlock | Druid, Shaman | Hunter, Priest, Warrior.
For lower ranked players, Priest and Rogue may move up and down a tier respectively.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 30, 2015, 07:17:16 pm »

I was more looking at the hunter deck, but thanks for also checking out the warlock deck.  I haven't done much warlock in arena, but I'd figured I'd give it a go since I don't have any good warlock cards for constructed.
#8: I just kinda have a weak spot for Gurubashi...It's been so good for me in the past.  Also, I had an AoE that would hurt him, which in his case is actually ok.  But I definitely see how the healing is better
#10: Why is deathlord bad in arena?
#12: I see how hungry dragon is good.  I just really have a hard time determining what stats make a card a good body, and what stats make a card a weak body.  Looking now though, he's same mana cost as yeti, and much stronger

Hunter:
You're right, I don't value the blackwing technician as a body w/o the bonus correctly.  Again, I'm realllly bad at evaluating that.
Zombie chow is great at the beginning, but what are my chances of actually getting it turn 1/2?
I don't know why, but I've always had a soft spot for shieldbearer.  I know in my head he sucks, but in my heart I like him too much...
I also want to like madder bomber, but I have been having enough trouble with my mad bombers recently that the madder bomber just feels so much more dangerous.  Especially since by the time I get 5 mana I'm hoping to have board control and will therefore have more targets for his bombs. 
That's also something I never really thought of with bomb lobber.  I mostly passed him up because the body seemed so weak, but I see now that he would probably go 2-for-1 regularly.

Thanks for all the help guys, really helping me get back into the arena mindset.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 30, 2015, 07:31:41 pm »

Here's my most recent draft:
http://arenamastery.com/R0Er

What I thought about it
1) As soon as I clicked this one, I regretted not getting the giant.  But I also really wanted to try a new minion...
4) This one was tough, because I really like flesheating ghoul, but I also wanted some AoE
5) Probably my hardest decision.  I really think the shredder is great, but so is the ooze... in the end I didn't end up getting all that many 2-drop minions, mostly spells, so I think it was the right pick, but at that point, was it?
7) Eviscerate over zombie chow was a tough call too.  I didn't know I would get another 2 eviscerates later.  It's just so good...
12) I'm kinda excited about volcanic drake.  It just seems sooo good for rogue
14) Is the drawback on mechanical yeti all that bad?  Because I don't think it is.  So that's why I picked it over GI
16) If I had to go back, I'd probably pick frostwolf since I didn't end up with many big minions
22) I considered antique healbot, since the health is important for rogue.  But I only had 1 eviscerate at this point.  If I had 2, I would have picked it

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 30, 2015, 08:16:40 pm »
+1

What I thought about it
1) As soon as I clicked this one, I regretted not getting the giant.  But I also really wanted to try a new minion...
4) This one was tough, because I really like flesheating ghoul, but I also wanted some AoE
5) Probably my hardest decision.  I really think the shredder is great, but so is the ooze... in the end I didn't end up getting all that many 2-drop minions, mostly spells, so I think it was the right pick, but at that point, was it?
7) Eviscerate over zombie chow was a tough call too.  I didn't know I would get another 2 eviscerates later.  It's just so good...
14) Is the drawback on mechanical yeti all that bad?  Because I don't think it is.  So that's why I picked it over GI
16) If I had to go back, I'd probably pick frostwolf since I didn't end up with many big minions
22) I considered antique healbot, since the health is important for rogue.  But I only had 1 eviscerate at this point.  If I had 2, I would have picked it

1) Recombobulator and Molten Giant are pretty close in terms of quality, I think, though Molten Giant is probably the right pick in Rogue.
Re: 4) Nah, I think you made the right choice for sure.
5) Shredder is the best neutral common. I would take it here every time.
Re: 12) Why Rogue in particular?
Re: 14) It's symmetrical, so not a drawback at all. Mech Yeti is basically Chillwind Yeti in most decks.
27) I think I would take Sap here. Argent Squire is underwhelming, and you don't have a great way to deal with big taunts yet. You are really lacking early game drops, though, so it's hard to say.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 30, 2015, 08:34:39 pm »

What I thought about it

1) Recombobulator and Molten Giant are pretty close in terms of quality, I think, though Molten Giant is probably the right pick in Rogue.
Re: 4) Nah, I think you made the right choice for sure.
5) Shredder is the best neutral common. I would take it here every time.
Re: 12) Why Rogue in particular?
Re: 14) It's symmetrical, so not a drawback at all. Mech Yeti is basically Chillwind Yeti in most decks.
27) I think I would take Sap here. Argent Squire is underwhelming, and you don't have a great way to deal with big taunts yet. You are really lacking early game drops, though, so it's hard to say.
12) Because rogue is more about tempo, so you'll be killing a lot of their minions per turn, with combos and weapons.
14) Yeah, I debated about sap, but having only a few low cost minions made that harder...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #532 on: May 01, 2015, 04:02:33 am »

For what it's worth, ADWCTA's post on the BRM Arena meta contains the following:

Quote from: ADWCTA
New Class Order. Here it is: Mage, Paladin | Rogue, Warlock | Druid, Shaman | Hunter, Priest, Warrior.
For lower ranked players, Priest and Rogue may move up and down a tier respectively.

I wonder how much Mage is better than Paladin. I always pick Paladin over everything else because it is very powerful and I'm more familiar with it than any other class, would it be worth it to start picking Mage over Paladin instead?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 01, 2015, 11:00:53 am »
+1

1) Recombob and Molten are probably about equally good in a vacuum, but in Rogue since you often drop your own health Molten Giant is better. (Recombob is still a pretty good card though).
5) Ooze is good, but Piloted Shredder is top tier.
23) I probably would have taken the Gnomish Inventor over the Ironfur Grizzly, but that's a pretty close choice. Gnomish Inventor is a good card though, always worth considering (you get the body of a 3 drop, but for just one mana you get a card too, it's a good deal).

I agree with pretty much every other choice you made. You got offered a lot of crap that run, but still got a decent deck out of it. Well played.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #534 on: May 05, 2015, 02:33:47 pm »
+1

I have a deck with Thrallmar Farseer and Blessed Champion in it, and I'm not overly pleased about this fact, but then this happened:

I had 14 health and an empty board (I had cards in hand, but no taunts or removal so it looked pretty bad, but winnable with some luck). Opponent had 22 health and 12 damage on the board. I played Thrallmar Farseer, Blessing of Kings and Argent Protector, hoping to get rid of some of his minions that way. He killed the Argent Protector and dealt 10 damage to me. At the start of my turn, I drew the Blessed Champion and won.

I'm still not overly pleased about the fact that I have a deck with Thrallmar Farseer and Blessed Champion in it, but that was pretty nice anyway.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:35:36 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 09, 2015, 12:54:33 am »
+1

Yesterday my opponent procced an Avenge on a River Crocolisk to bring it to 5/5, then the next turn played a Coghammer to give it Divine Shield and Taunt. So I played my Black Knight.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 09, 2015, 02:41:41 am »

Yesterday my opponent procced an Avenge on a River Crocolisk to bring it to 5/5, then the next turn played a Coghammer to give it Divine Shield and Taunt. So I played my Black Knight.

Was there much qqing?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 09, 2015, 04:19:06 am »

Not as much as there will be when I bring this Ramp Druid deck into Arena:

(in before 3-3 because no board clear)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 09, 2015, 05:30:16 am »

That deck is nuts. 2x wild growth backed by good card draw (nourish, ancient of lore, gnomish inventor) and so many okay-to-great taunts (annoy-o-tron, 3x robo cub, unstable ghoul, shieldmasta, 3x dotc, belcher, ancient of war, lumberer). The minion quality of the rest is pretty high also.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 09, 2015, 12:32:28 pm »

Yep, 4-3. Two of the losses I expected, just got board wiped and then out-tempoed, and had no way to catch back up. The other loss was crazy though; it was a to a Priest whose deck was even greedier than mine. He did nothing on turns 1-3 as I played two Wild Growths, then came back with 3x Temple Enforcer and 2x Mind Control.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: May 09, 2015, 03:15:45 pm »

Yep, 4-3. Two of the losses I expected, just got board wiped and then out-tempoed, and had no way to catch back up. The other loss was crazy though; it was a to a Priest whose deck was even greedier than mine. He did nothing on turns 1-3 as I played two Wild Growths, then came back with 3x Temple Enforcer and 2x Mind Control.

That's why it's a bad idea to try to beat a priest by bringing out tons of huge minions. They will almost certainly win the late game. I'd muligan for lower minions because their board clears are 5 mana or more (Aucheni+Circle doesn't really count in arena) and try to get enough tempo in smaller and midrange minions that they won't be able to catch up. Also use the Druid of the Claw because 4/6 is hard for Priest to deal with.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 09, 2015, 06:12:30 pm »

2x Holy Wrath with Molten Giant, Force Tank Max, Guardian of Kings in my high end. Going for the dream, my curve is pretty high and I have 1x Consecrate as my only removal...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #542 on: May 09, 2015, 06:16:15 pm »

Just got my first 12 win run with this deck:

Avenge
Noble Sacrifice
Abusive Sergeant
Murloc Raider
Annoy-o-tron x2
Argent Protector x2
Giblin Stalker
Micro Machine
Aldor Peacekeeper
Harvest Golem
Ironfur Grizzly
Raging Worgen
Scarlet Purifier
Truesilver Champion x2
Blessing of Kings
Hammer of Wrath x2
Dark Iron Dwarf
Defender of Argus
Dread Corsair
Solemn Vigil
Frostwolf Warlord
Stranglethorn Tiger
Venture Co. Mercenary
Frost Elemental
Volcanic Drake
Lay on Hands

It ended up being much stronger than I had anticipated while drafting, but in retrospect it looks like a very solid deck so I'm not sure why I thought it wasn't that good. I had the last opponent misplay horribly a couple of times, though, not sure if I would have won that game otherwise.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 10, 2015, 08:08:06 am »

That's why it's a bad idea to try to beat a priest by bringing out tons of huge minions. They will almost certainly win the late game. I'd muligan for lower minions because their board clears are 5 mana or more (Aucheni+Circle doesn't really count in arena) and try to get enough tempo in smaller and midrange minions that they won't be able to catch up. Also use the Druid of the Claw because 4/6 is hard for Priest to deal with.
Against Priest, it's also important to try to get early game tempo advantage or else they might just steamroll you with Velen's Chosen and other buff cards.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 10, 2015, 11:28:02 pm »

Fireguard destroyer seems to have made Shaman quite a bit stronger. Having multiple of them is really tough to deal with.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 11, 2015, 10:16:54 am »

Fireguard destroyer seems to have made Shaman quite a bit stronger. Having multiple of them is really tough to deal with.

I ha a draft with 4 of them and it went 2 wins
. They're nice and big but they still lost lots of annoying small minions.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 12, 2015, 02:47:22 am »

http://imgur.com/x5qYJgy

I'm very confused at this deck's performance. I guess the lesson here is that Multi-Shot is amazing and hunter traps are amazing. I get in this sweet spot where enemies are too scared to race a Hunter, so I can count on certain trades to happen, and then Multi-Shots come in and give me amazing value.

Off-screen are 1x Sen'jin, 1x Spellbreaker, 1x Cobra Shot, 1x Azure Drake, 1x Silver Hand Knight, 1x Sea Giant. Some notable picks were Explosive > Yeti, Snapjaw > Harvest Golem. I picked Houndmaster very early, but didn't see any Beasts until my last 10 picks or so. I think the only Beast I saw before then was a Silverback Patriarch and I did Loot Hoarder > Silverback.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 12, 2015, 12:24:17 pm »

Nice deck! It's sometimes a little tricky to actually draft a strong aggro deck in Arena, but it looks like you did it. I guess you took the Snapjaw over the Harvest Golem for the Houndmaster synergy? I probably would have taken the Harvest Golem, but if it looked like you might end up with no beasts at all at that point I might have taken the Snapjaw.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 12, 2015, 01:56:17 pm »

I'm not really a fan of Snapjaw > Harvest Golem there. Maybe if you needed it for curve purposes, but you have zero consistent 3-drops, and only two cards with Beast synergy. Explosive Trap > Yeti also seems crazy, though I can see doing that if you knew by then that you'd be going for aggro and already had enough 4-drops, and didn't have any other secrets for Mad Scientist yet.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 12, 2015, 03:22:33 pm »

The Snapjaw felt very sketchy, but in my defense, when you pick a Houndmaster at around pick 4, then see no remotely decent beasts until the last 10 picks, you get pretty worried.

I would actually pick Explosive > Yeti most of the time. Explosive Trap is really, really good, even when you know it's coming it still clears something.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.