Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329279 times)

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #500 on: April 12, 2015, 10:02:36 pm »

Just got two Coldlight Oracles and a Vanish played against me by a Rogue in Arena. Burned 3 cards in total, including a Boulderfist Ogre I had in play. I still won with 25 health.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 16, 2015, 10:17:02 am »

So now I've picked Mechgineer Thermaplugg twice in arena (over worse options) and I have to say he's not bad. In the same way Kel Thuzad is pretty great because there's usually minions on the board in arena, Thermaplugg does fairly well because you can usually get value off of him. Also his 9 attack is more threatening than Kel thuzad, although I still wouldn't pick Thermaplugg of kel Thuzad.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 16, 2015, 12:24:10 pm »

So now I've picked Mechgineer Thermaplugg twice in arena (over worse options) and I have to say he's not bad. In the same way Kel Thuzad is pretty great because there's usually minions on the board in arena, Thermaplugg does fairly well because you can usually get value off of him. Also his 9 attack is more threatening than Kel thuzad, although I still wouldn't pick Thermaplugg of kel Thuzad.

Yeah, I'd say he's actually pretty good in Arena I just finished a run with him (7 wins) where he definitely won me the game a few times. Like Kel he does benefit a lot from you having some sort of board presence when you play him so you can trade and get a couple gnomes.

http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/0r580o

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 16, 2015, 03:46:16 pm »
+1

Most of the big guys that are not playable in constucted are pretty decent in arena. Usually your opponent doesn't have the burst to kill you from half health if you spend on that mana on things that are not taunt or removal. And the rarity of BGH makes that less of a threat to be a major tempo swing.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 16, 2015, 07:20:37 pm »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 16, 2015, 07:26:00 pm »

Is it? It's got lots of board clear and removal which is good, but it lacks minions and the minions it has are pretty average.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 16, 2015, 07:39:20 pm »

I did say crazy, not good.

First game: Game bugs out and doesn't let me do anything on turn 12 with Deathwing in hand and opponent lethal on board. I lose.
Second game: Opponent gets Bane of Doom into Mal'ganis on turn 5. I win anyway.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:52:27 pm by ycz6 »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 16, 2015, 11:51:30 pm »

Oh you Jester

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 19, 2015, 02:37:19 pm »
+1

Just got my second 12 win arena run. 12-2 with a Shaman.

http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/133647

4 Whirling Zap-O-Matics and 4 Fire Elementals make for a really strong deck. Bloodlust + Whirling Zao-Os is really great too. Won a lot of games with that combo. I also had some cheap taunts to protect the Zap-Os which made it difficult for my opponents to remove them. I'm very pleased with this :). My 4 drops were all really good quality too.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 19, 2015, 03:27:55 pm »

Opponent dropped Deathwing to kill three of my minions and prevent lethal. Unfortunately for him, my hand was not lacking in answers...

http://imgur.com/4fYs688

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 19, 2015, 03:40:22 pm »

Way to BM - (or lose, I guess)
Freeze Deathwing, play Mirror Image, turn your two illusions into sheep.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 19, 2015, 11:05:14 pm »

That is an amazing response to Deathwing.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 27, 2015, 07:13:23 pm »

So today I've gone 11, 12, 10, 6. I that's pretty good. I found mages with tons of freeze do really well.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 28, 2015, 12:45:41 pm »

So today I've gone 11, 12, 10, 6. I that's pretty good. I found mages with tons of freeze do really well.
Kripp has been speculating that lots of new players on phones have been flooding Arena, making it easier to do well.

Put all your money in arena!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 28, 2015, 03:45:01 pm »

Kripp has been speculating that lots of new players on phones have been flooding Arena, making it easier to do well.

I've noticed it too. But even at 9-12 wins the decks are just as good as normal arena good decks.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 28, 2015, 05:53:36 pm »

I've noticed it too. But even at 9-12 wins the decks are just as good as normal arena good decks.
When you say normal arena good deck, do you mean decks you'd expect to get 7-9 wins, or 10-12 wins?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 28, 2015, 06:49:29 pm »

When you say normal arena good deck, do you mean decks you'd expect to get 7-9 wins, or 10-12 wins?

9-12 win decks. 7 wins can be had by most decks if they face even just medium strength decks.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 29, 2015, 11:41:26 am »

There may be some truth to that speculation... I've just come back to hearthstone and have been playing more arena, and playing poorly because it's been a while. I did draft a deck while half asleep last night though, and won my first game with it. With all the new cards, I'm not sure what  doing in arena anymore. How did I do?
http://www.arenamastery.com/arena.php?arena=554460#gameEntry

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 29, 2015, 01:47:05 pm »

I think you need to use the "Share this arena" Link, that one won't connect for me.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 29, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »

Is it just me or does Dark Iron Skulker's mere existence make Rogue way stronger in arena?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 29, 2015, 04:08:11 pm »

Is it just me or does Dark Iron Skulker's mere existence make Rogue way stronger in arena?

It is very good. But it's a rare and not enough to push it even close to mage. I think Priest is still better overall too.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 29, 2015, 04:13:34 pm »

I think it's one of those things you play around if it doesn't cost you too much to do so but it's not going to stop people from putting up multiple 2-health minions or cause them to damage their own stuff for no other reason. So it's existence helps a little, but mostly only if it's in your deck.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 29, 2015, 04:35:06 pm »

I think you need to use the "Share this arena" Link, that one won't connect for me.
http://arenamastery.com/nCs7

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 29, 2015, 05:04:41 pm »

I don't play Warlock much, so take this with a grain of salt, but here's where I differ from you:
6. I think LotA is generally better than Unstable Ghoul.
8. Healer is better than Gurubashi, even more so because as Warlock your life is a real resource.
10. Deathlord is pretty bad in arena. You're better off with Blademaster
11. Darkbomb > Faerie Dragon. In general, early game removal is better than early game minions because of the tempo. You get the damage immediately.
12. Hungry Dragon is really good. There are very few things you should take over it. Probably just Piloted Shredder and OP class cards. Warlock doesn't have any of those. Shadowbolt is good, but not great.
16. You might want to think about War Golem here. You don't have any big dudes yet, and Panda is a little worse for Warlock than for other classes since the card advantage isn't as important.
21. Soulfire is still really good in arena. I think I still take it over any 1-2 drop minion. Same idea as Darkbomb.
24. Again, Soulfire.

EDIT: I was looking at 4/28 Warlock
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:07:12 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 29, 2015, 05:05:21 pm »
+1

Had to click around a bit to find your Arena run, but found it. (I was looking at the Hunter draft.)

Looking at your draft there's a few things I'd comment on:
1) I don't think you value Blackwing Technician highly enough as a card without dragons. It's certainly better than Windfury Harpy (#7) and probably better than Cobra Shot (#9). A 2/4 body for 3 mana is at least an Average card.
2) Having a Zombie Chow in your hand at the start of the game is so valuable that I'd take it over an Ancient Brewmaster (#6), which has a decent body for 4 mana, but I find bouncing a minion back into your hand hurts your board as often as it helps it by using it to recast a battlecry or heal a minion.
3) At the point where you turned down a Force Tank Max in favour of a Faerie Dragon (#16) I think you needed the Force Tank a lot more. You only had one real big drop at that point (Boulderfist Ogre) and you already had several playable 2s. With over half the draft to go you weren't desperate for a 2 right then, but Force Tank is a really good big drop.
4) Shieldbearer sucks (#26), I'd take a Hyena with no Beasts over that card. (Plus you had an Unleash which is at least one card you can combo a Hyena with).
5) I think I like Madder Bomber's ability to turn the game around more than I like the survivability Arcane Nullifier (#27) gives you, but that's at least a close call. Nullifier might have been the correct choice.
6) In your last choice (#30), Bomb Lobber should not be underestimated and fits your deck a lot better than a Deathlord. Bomb Lobbers might have small bodies for 5 mana, but that 4 damage is a big swing and usually lets you get a 2 for 1 off the card. Deathlord usually kills 2 little things, but if it's up against a 4 drop like a yeti it sucks because gives your opponent a card for free. Bomb Lobbers are also more aggressive cards letting you surprise remove a card when you just want to drop some damage whereas I think of a Deathlord as a card that helps you stall the game for the late game (when your deck is better for early-mid game than it is for late game).
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.893 seconds with 21 queries.