Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329230 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #475 on: March 23, 2015, 05:14:13 pm »

Every class but Warrior can activate their hero power several times during the game and be ok with that.  Warrior has the worst hero power and really can't be ok with that. 

The solution to playing a class that needs to avoid spending mana on hero power is to spend mana on cards instead, so the idea would be that you draft a higher curve to guarantee that you always have cards in hand to be an alternative use for your mana.

To attempt to have so much mana cost in your hand at all times that you never needed to use hero power to avoid empty hand syndrome, you would have to run tons of boulderfist ogres and war golems.  But then you would miss your curve in earlier turns.  The solution that constructed control warrior uses cards that are cheaper than War Golem and thus fit into a curve, but draw you more cards that in turn have mana costs, so that way you don't get empty hand syndrome.  That would be Shield Block and Acolyte of Pain, which are really critical.  War Golem is way worse than Dr. Boom or Sylvanas, so the quality disparity between common fatties and legendary fatties is another big factor.

My best Warrior arena runs are always when I get lots of Gnomish Inventors.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:15:18 pm by popsofctown »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 23, 2015, 05:22:10 pm »

Warlock hero power can't have any significant affect until at least turn 7, because it's quite hard to run out of cards before then. And if you take enough face damage, your hero power actually hurts. Playing against Warlock is so easy. You just hit face with everything, and he can never use hero power.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 23, 2015, 05:32:33 pm »

Warrior hero power can't have an effect until even later!  Remember the MtG adage, "The only life point that matters is the last one"

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 23, 2015, 05:51:47 pm »

I agree Warrior hero power is worse, but I don't think it's as much worse as you suggest (not that either of us have quantified what we are saying). Warlock hero power often will do literally nothing -- or worse.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:53:08 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 23, 2015, 09:29:01 pm »
+4

You're failing to appreciate the girth of the gap between the 8th worst hero power and the 9th worst hero power.
Is Dagger Mastery really that much better than Fireblast?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 23, 2015, 10:17:29 pm »

You're failing to appreciate the girth of the gap between the 8th worst hero power and the 9th worst hero power.
It took me a while to get the joke, which means it was a very good one.  However, if someone could explain it for us, it would become even funnier.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 24, 2015, 08:26:57 pm »
+2

It took me a while to get the joke, which means it was a very good one.  However, if someone could explain it for us, it would become even funnier.

8th worst = 2nd best
9th worst = best

I cannot explain jokes verbosely because I have no sense of meta-humor. I'm sorry.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 25, 2015, 03:36:08 am »
+1

8th worst = 2nd best
9th worst = best

I cannot explain jokes verbosely because I have no sense of meta-humor. I'm sorry.
Actually, the best hero power is heroic Frost Breath, and the second best is... probably heroic Frost Blast or heroic Unbalancing Strike. INFERNO! and Mind Shatter are pretty good too, if you don't like those.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 25, 2015, 08:20:58 am »

8th worst = 2nd best
9th worst = best

Actually, the best hero power is heroic Frost Breath, and the second best is... probably heroic Frost Blast or heroic Unbalancing Strike. INFERNO! and Mind Shatter are pretty good too, if you don't like those.
"Hero" in the loosest sense possible.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 25, 2015, 08:36:25 am »
+4

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 25, 2015, 05:25:08 pm »

But we were discussing Arena.  Although epic, I think there is enough chance of Maexxna getting offered Steamwheedle Sniper that Web Wrap can guarantee victory.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:49 pm »

But we were discussing Arena.  Although epic, I think there is enough chance of Maexxna getting offered Steamwheedle Sniper that Web Wrap can guarantee victory.

Think of the Boss Cards you could draft if their cards were available to them as drafting possibilities! Death Chargers! The 3 Horsemen (one of whom is a lady)! Mr Bigglesworth! Pure Cold! Mutating Injections! Jaws!

(Note: Some of these cards are not worth drafting at all, but some would be insane.)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 25, 2015, 06:52:18 pm »

Hmmm, I didn't think about the possibility of Tutorial bosses, but Mukla and Illidan both have cards that would be fun to play. Well depending on how crazy Metamorphosis is.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 26, 2015, 12:08:04 am »

Think of the Boss Cards you could draft if their cards were available to them as drafting possibilities! Death Chargers! The 3 Horsemen (one of whom is a lady)! Mr Bigglesworth! Pure Cold! Mutating Injections! Jaws!

(Note: Some of these cards are not worth drafting at all, but some would be insane.)
Aah! The horror! I don't want to be reminded of that nightmare.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 26, 2015, 01:13:08 am »

Aah! The horror! I don't want to be reminded of that nightmare.

Don't worry, you can have new nightmares when the expansion comes out!
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 28, 2015, 05:02:13 am »
+1

Guys.

It happened.

http://imgur.com/nfk3oE5,ldSa7t7#0

That Annoy-o-tron ultimately soaked up 29 damage, and this game was my third loss of the arena.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:03:56 am by ycz6 »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 30, 2015, 02:23:50 pm »

Haha, I've seen Deathwing tauntstalled to death, but never seen it trolled by annoyotron.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 31, 2015, 09:16:11 am »

Nearly wnet 12-0 for the first time.
In the final game, i had it nearly locked down, but my opponent topdecked his only way to win and unleashed the hounds on me.

Also i got only 245 gold for 12 wins :(

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 02, 2015, 04:28:17 pm »

Just drafted one of the craziest decks I've ever had, and am curious what you guys think of my final pick. Deck so far:

Zombie Chow
Stormforged Axe
Crackle
Bloodfen Raptor
Bluegill Warrior
Flametongue Totem
Mechwarper
2x Whirling Zap-o-matic
2x Feral Spirit
Goblin Sapper
Mana Tide Totem
Spider Tank
4x Unbound Elemental
2x Mechanical Yeti
2x Piloted Shredder
Stormwind Knight
Antique Healbot
Silver Hand Knight
Sludge Belcher
Frost Elemental
Dr. Boom
War Golem

Final pick: Powermace, Lil' Exorcist, Lightning Storm

What would you do?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 02, 2015, 05:01:07 pm »

Presumably you are picking between Powermace and Lightning Storm?

Even though you've got a 10 (11?) Mech cards I'd probably pick Lightning Storm. You don't have any AoE and having 1 AoE card is extremely helpful.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 02, 2015, 05:02:17 pm »

Also, that deck is super awesome, is it premature to offer congrats on 12 wins?

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 02, 2015, 05:42:47 pm »

I agree that Lightning Storm was probably better, especially with 4 Unbound Elementals, but I ended up picking Powermace anyway. I'd never had an arena deck with Powermace, much less one where it'd be as strong as it is here.

Also, that deck is super awesome, is it premature to offer congrats on 12 wins?
Well, we'll see. No Hexes, Fire Elementals, or cards with "Lightning" in their names makes me unsure. I think big taunts will be a problem.

I'm 1-0 so far; in the one game, my opponent got a dream Truesilver Champion and was able to clear both my Mech Yetis and a Piloted Shredder with board control, but I grinded my way back through pure Flametongue value, and he ultimately resigned once I got out a 6/7 stealthed Whirling Zap-o-matic.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 02, 2015, 11:43:44 pm »
+1

Update: So... I went 3-3. One game I got rolled over by Consecrations and Boulderfist Ogres, one game my opponent opened with Coin -> Nerubian Egg into Rockbiter Weapon to kill my Zap-o-matic, one game my T3 Unbound Elemental got Freezing Trapped and I just got out-tempoed from there, and one game I got permafrozen by Water Elementals with a 2/2 weapon in hand and my opponent at 1 health.

In short, ridiculous minion value is not enough to carry a deck if it doesn't have any reach, hard removal, AOE, or the Warlock hero power.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 02, 2015, 11:50:43 pm »

In short, ridiculous minion value is not enough to carry a deck if it doesn't have any reach, hard removal, AOE, or the Warlock hero power.

This isn't true. Minion value can carry you far even with just 1 or 2 decent spells. And if you're a Hunter if can win many many games just by being aggressive and using your hero power a lot. However, many value minions often are valuble becuase of their battle cry. You want more card that are good when you're behind than when you're ahead. Like Bomb Lobber or Kodo, since they help keep and retake the board. Madder Bomber too, but he can't be played to maintain the board, only to catch up. Only big minions will lose to aggressive decks and decks with good removal.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 11, 2015, 04:22:27 pm »
+1

is 5 truesilvers too many? I just decided to take them all.

EDIT: The deck went 11 wins. 5 truesilvers is quite good. I wonder what my opponents thought when I played Fel Reaver and they burned through 3 truesilvers after I had already played 2 of them.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:36:39 pm by KingZog3 »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.