Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329295 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #450 on: February 20, 2015, 11:19:25 pm »

Paladin arena, very first pick.

Avenging Wrath, Coghammer, Sword of Justice
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 21, 2015, 04:25:40 am »
+1

I find weekends are a lot easier in arena.  I've reached 7 wins at the weekend, and almost always get at least my stake back.  I've tried twice on weekday evenings recently and had two very embarrassing experiences.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 01, 2015, 04:40:23 pm »

Just played an Arena game in which I played 5 Consecrations and my opponent played Alexstrasza and Ragnaros on consecutive turns

I killed the Rag by topdecking an Abusive Sergeant, which I used on my 6/1 Piloted Sky Golem

Then the last card in my opponent's deck was Mind Control, which he used on my Boulderfist Ogre

I topdecked Sen'jin right after that and then Gruul the next turn, but it was too late :(

(the two cards left in my deck at game end were Puddlestomper and King Mukla)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 09, 2015, 05:36:09 pm »

Just went 12-0 as mage. Highlights of the deck were 3 fireballs, 1 polymorph, 1 blizzard, 1 flamestrike, and the only weak minions were 1 angry chicken and 1 Oasis snapjaw. The chicken came from the option of Alarmo, chicken or Ancient Watcher. There was only 1 game that I came close to losing, otherwise I had frost bolts and a flamecannon for early removal and strong end game minions to keep me alive. Also 3 fireballs means tons of game ended on turn 8-9 with just a huge burst of damage.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 09, 2015, 07:28:10 pm »

I killed the Rag by topdecking an Abusive Sergeant, which I used on my 6/1 Piloted Sky Golem

I just realized...how did this work?  Was the PSG immune?  But then the +2 attack doesn't work, right?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 09, 2015, 11:18:29 pm »

The Piloted Sky Golem was 6/1 for reasons unrelated to the Ragnaros.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 10, 2015, 06:41:49 pm »

But if you used the Abusive Sargeant on a 6/1 PSG (which is what you said), the PSG would die before you could trade it with Ragnaros.  If he's immune/shielded, does the +2 attack still happen?  That's my confusion.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 10, 2015, 06:47:32 pm »

But if you used the Abusive Sargeant on a 6/1 PSG (which is what you said), the PSG would die before you could trade it with Ragnaros.  If he's immune/shielded, does the +2 attack still happen?  That's my confusion.

You're confusing Abusive Sergeant with Cruel Taskmaster.

And if it were Cruel Taskmaster, it gets the buff whether or not it takes the damage.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 10, 2015, 07:17:28 pm »

And if it were Cruel Taskmaster, it gets the buff whether or not it takes the damage.
OH! I couldn't figure out why he was confused.

It's funny, Abusive Seargeant doesn't abuse his target.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 10, 2015, 07:19:22 pm »

Oh, duh.  That's for pointing that out.

Yeah, I think that's why I mess that up.  Like, I think I always thought Abusive did the damage for buff thing.  Makes sense, doesn't it?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 10, 2015, 07:22:34 pm »

Oh, duh.  That's for pointing that out.

Yeah, I think that's why I mess that up.  Like, I think I always thought Abusive did the damage for buff thing.  Makes sense, doesn't it?
A lot of the flavor in Hearthstone is messed up because they want to reuse old card images and they start off with cards as one thing in alpha and switch them entirely by beta (like Warsong Commander would be more like a teacher at this point).
My most recent pet peeve is that Puddlestomper is a cheap vanilla creature with no skills but in his art it looks like he is summoning some powerful water magic.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 19, 2015, 01:26:02 pm »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 19, 2015, 02:04:41 pm »

Yep, Warrior ties Warlock for lowest win rate. I've said it before that Warrior is one of the worst, not average. It may be close, but Warrior is for sure at the bottom with Warlock.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 19, 2015, 08:10:23 pm »

Yep, Warrior ties Warlock for lowest win rate. I've said it before that Warrior is one of the worst, not average. It may be close, but Warrior is for sure at the bottom with Warlock.
It goes to show how arena balance hangs on threads, since at points in closed beta was Warrior was top 1 or top 3.

It's still the only class with the best card of Hearthstone and transitive best common/basic of hearthstone, and so offers maximum hilarity from single card stacking arena runs.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 19, 2015, 09:58:00 pm »

It's still the only class with the best card of Hearthstone and transitive best common/basic of hearthstone, and so offers maximum hilarity from single card stacking arena runs.
I assume you're talking about Fiery War Axe here. But is it really the best class common/basic to stack in arena? I would not want to be a Warrior with 10 FWAs against a Mage with 10 Water Elementals, for example.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 20, 2015, 01:21:22 am »

I assume you're talking about Fiery War Axe here. But is it really the best class common/basic to stack in arena? I would not want to be a Warrior with 10 FWAs against a Mage with 10 Water Elementals, for example.

Sure, but 10 Fiery War Axen is going to do better against the field than 10 Water Elementals.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 20, 2015, 01:48:31 am »

Sure, but 10 Fiery War Axen is going to do better against the field than 10 Water Elementals.

Are you sure? One or two water elementals is tough enough, I can't imagine many decks being able to handle them every turn. It's one of the best arena minions.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 20, 2015, 02:52:58 am »

Just won an arena game with 24 health and 12 armor as Hunter. Piloted Shredder -> Armorsmith -> Unleash the Hounds

Are you sure? One or two water elementals is tough enough, I can't imagine many decks being able to handle them every turn. It's one of the best arena minions.
10 Naturalizes tho

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 20, 2015, 12:44:06 pm »
+1

It's the best card in a vacuum, not the best card to stack.  It's about how hilarious it is, not about how good it is. "Oh hey, it's turn 2 again, I get winning board position again!"

I did 9-0 with a Fiery War Axe stack when I got 3 bloodsail corsairs to go with them, but Water Elemental stacks or Truesilver Stacks are probably better (but way less fun! Who wants to end games with all their mana crystals?!?)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 20, 2015, 12:57:33 pm »

Just won an arena game with 24 health and 12 armor as Hunter. Piloted Shredder -> Armorsmith -> Unleash the Hounds

10 Naturalizes tho

The Arena Milldeck dream.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 21, 2015, 05:19:30 pm »

I just went 12-0: http://arenamastery.com/72Jv Forgot to enter the draft D: I had 2x Backstab, 2x Deadly Poison, 0x Eviscerate, 1x SI:7, 1x The Black Knight... and some other cards.

It was a pretty good Rogue deck, but to be honest I think I mostly just got lucky. I didn't get a single Flamestrike, Consecration, or Holy Nova played against me the entire run, none of my opponents games 8-10 played a card on turn 2, and my Black Knight got some crazy value in a couple close games.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 21, 2015, 07:43:39 pm »

Weird

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 23, 2015, 11:39:09 am »
+1

Warrior definitely has the worst hero power for arena, and the class card quality has gone down from what it was. The new cards (Warbot, Warmaul) are terrible. And even Fiery War Axe has gotten worse due to more 4 health 3 drops, but I still can't imagine it's as bad as Warlock. Warlock has the second-worst arena hero power (assuming a strong tempo meta) and way worse card quality.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 23, 2015, 03:24:58 pm »
+1

You're failing to appreciate the girth of the gap between the 8th worst hero power and the 9th worst hero power.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 23, 2015, 04:55:31 pm »
+1

I've won games with various classes simply by "out carding" my opponent. Warlock's hero power can win games simply by being able to have cards when other decks empty their hands. Warrior hero power does nothing at all, unless maybe you have 1 Shield Slam or something.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.