Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 330484 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #425 on: January 08, 2015, 11:08:03 pm »

TIL: Fel Reaver does not keep trying to draw cards after hitting zero cards. :(

Sap on a Fel Reaver after playing another card was quite fun, though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 08, 2015, 11:15:50 pm »

The no fatigue is one aspect that make Fel Reaver so good in arena. But haha, sap it really mean on the Fel Reaver player :P

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 13, 2015, 03:28:48 am »

I just drafted a Paladin deck with two Muster for Battles and a Quartermaster.

It also has Wild Pyromancer, Unstable Ghoul, and Madder Bomber.

I'm nervous.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 13, 2015, 08:08:15 am »

The no fatigue is one aspect that make Fel Reaver so good in arena. But haha, sap it really mean on the Fel Reaver player :P
Hitting Fel Reaver with Aldor Peacekeeper is also mean, but at least there you can silence the Reaver or bounce it back into your hand. Rulezing a Venture Merc is still more painful.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 15, 2015, 12:39:15 am »
+1

Oh man.

I just played the best endgame I've ever done as Druid against Hunter. It was a bunch of small decisions, but during the last 2 turns:

- I realize that I'm far too low health to worry about Kill Command killing my minions, since if he could remove my 3/3 taunt, he could just Kill Command my face. If it does go to my face, I'll die unless I hero power this turn. So, I hero power, drop minions with as much power as I can get, and go entirely for face, since my one hope is that I can force through enough damage before dying to Steady Shot. Notably this means I don't play any more taunts, because I won't have as much damage next turn with how my mana works out, he can't kill my 3/3 with the cards on board, and if he draws any more damage to clear my 3/3, I'll probably lose anyways.
- The Hunter then topdecks Kill Command. Command to face, Steady Shot, I'm at 1 life.
- I topdeck Ancient of Lore, heal to 6, then Hero Power to 7. If I hadn't decided to hero power last turn, I wouldn't have had the time to draw it.
- After killing off the board, I have exact damage (+1) for lethal next turn. If I hadn't played the minions I did on that turn, I wouldn't have had the damage to win the game.

The realization that I picked the exact perfect line of play 2 turns ago to win the game is making me feel pretty good right now.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 15, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »

Oh man.

I just played the best endgame I've ever done as Druid against Hunter. It was a bunch of small decisions, but during the last 2 turns:

- I realize that I'm far too low health to worry about Kill Command killing my minions, since if he could remove my 3/3 taunt, he could just Kill Command my face. If it does go to my face, I'll die unless I hero power this turn. So, I hero power, drop minions with as much power as I can get, and go entirely for face, since my one hope is that I can force through enough damage before dying to Steady Shot. Notably this means I don't play any more taunts, because I won't have as much damage next turn with how my mana works out, he can't kill my 3/3 with the cards on board, and if he draws any more damage to clear my 3/3, I'll probably lose anyways.
- The Hunter then topdecks Kill Command. Command to face, Steady Shot, I'm at 1 life.
- I topdeck Ancient of Lore, heal to 6, then Hero Power to 7. If I hadn't decided to hero power last turn, I wouldn't have had the time to draw it.
- After killing off the board, I have exact damage (+1) for lethal next turn. If I hadn't played the minions I did on that turn, I wouldn't have had the damage to win the game.

The realization that I picked the exact perfect line of play 2 turns ago to win the game is making me feel pretty good right now.

I actually really like this sort of decision making in Hearthstone. When you feel like you're out and you have to play for best case scenarios you play differently than you would when you're playing "safe".

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2015, 02:08:06 pm »

I just drafted a Paladin deck with two Muster for Battles and a Quartermaster.

It also has Wild Pyromancer, Unstable Ghoul, and Madder Bomber.

I'm nervous.

That could be difficult

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 19, 2015, 03:36:50 am »
+2

Realized something today: dealing with 6 health minions is really hard for Druid. I mean, it's hard for most classes, 6 health is a lot, but Druids in particular get hit hard. They lack hard removal to deal with them, and Swipe + hero power only does 5. Starfire + hero power can do it, but 8 mana is a very high cost.

So, a 6 health minion on board is really good, and you should priortize trading with other minions to keep it at 6 health if you can.

This is similar to a point from the playing against Paladin article by ADWTCA, where Paladin has trouble dealing with 5 health minions.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 20, 2015, 11:52:51 am »

^Thanks for referencing the ADWTCA article, I hadn't seen it before. Seems like a good read.

The big thing about his 5 health minion example (where 4/5 > 4/2+3/2) is that you're willing to give up immediate card advantage by trading a minion rather than reducing a big one because you know the big one will get card advantage later while the 2 small minions have a good chance to just give the card advantage right back. In that sense the perceived immediate card advantage is not really worth more than the potential card advantage of the 4/5.

Vs Druid, it's a bit more copmlicated. If you give the minions all +1 health in the previous example (i.e. 4/6 vs 4/3+3/3) in a game against Druid, I'd rather have the 4/3+3/3, since that is still real card advantage (and it has a better chance of dealing with something like an Ironbark). 4/6 vs 4/3+3/2 is a little tougher, since the latter dies to Swpie + hero power, but you still have to think about how threatening that is compared to Ironbark.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 21, 2015, 11:01:48 pm »

Just had a Priest draft which started with

Bomb Lobber
Dark Cultist
Shrinkmeister
Holy Nova
Piloted Shredder
Spider Tank
Zombie Chow
Dark Cultist
Velen's Chosen

where both of the Dark Cultists were drafted over Velen's Chosen. I then went 2-3, because I couldn't draft any lategame and the Holy Nova was my only removal of any kind.

This game is harsh.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 24, 2015, 02:09:43 pm »

Here's one thing that happened in that arena: http://i.imgur.com/3nQe4RQ.jpg

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 24, 2015, 08:25:41 pm »

State before frost nova into coin/fs?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 25, 2015, 01:02:21 am »

Today I learned that if you play Mind Control Tech as your 7th minion, instead of stealing a random minion, it destroys a random minion. It didn't actually affect the game's outcome, but that was weird to see.

Dekryr

• Baron
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 26, 2015, 04:57:55 pm »

Today I learned that if you play Mind Control Tech as your 7th minion, instead of stealing a random minion, it destroys a random minion. It didn't actually affect the game's outcome, but that was weird to see.

I knew this, but what if it's a deathrattle minion. Will loot hoarder draw you a card? Does Harvest Golem just destroy both minions?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 26, 2015, 06:04:00 pm »

That's intersting. With 6 minions, you can't play Cabal Shadow Priest. I guess the battlecry is a little different since it's targeted.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 26, 2015, 06:40:34 pm »

You can also experience this by using Feign Death with Sylvanas out.  Especially if some spiderbabies pop out of the feign death to bring you up to seven minions.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 26, 2015, 07:00:11 pm »

I knew this, but what if it's a deathrattle minion. Will loot hoarder draw you a card? Does Harvest Golem just destroy both minions?

Loot hoarder draws a card, Harvest spawns a 2/1 golem. I'm 99% sure that it treats it as a regular minion death. Sap or Vanish when they have 10 cards in hand also destroys the minion and it works that way too.

Dekryr

• Baron
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:44 pm »

Loot hoarder draws a card, Harvest spawns a 2/1 golem. I'm 99% sure that it treats it as a regular minion death. Sap or Vanish when they have 10 cards in hand also destroys the minion and it works that way too.

But if it spawns the Damaged Golem where does it go? Does your opponent get it or does it just die because it can't fit on your board?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:09:35 pm by Dekryr »

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 26, 2015, 11:57:24 pm »

Deathrattles in this case are on opponent behalf, as you never actually stole that minion

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 11, 2015, 02:49:45 am »
+4

12-0 with Hunter :D

Not pictured: 1x Spiteful Smith, 1x Spectral Knight, 3x Savannah Highmane. (The last highmane may have been another 6 cost. If it was, I never drew it.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:53:07 am by Titandrake »

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 17, 2015, 10:02:30 am »

My first non-Mage 12 with paladin. 2xConsecration, 2xTrue Silver and 2xHoW + many yeti like minions and single 7+ minion (StWCh)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 17, 2015, 11:23:57 am »

Hammer of Wrath isn't considered enough of a bomb for me to recognize that abbreviation without me thinking a while.  Good run, sounds like mostly solid drafting instead of a 5x truesilver stack

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 17, 2015, 11:39:33 am »

I just went 0-2, then won 6 games in a row as I queued against some of the worst players I've seen in a long time. I was wondering if morning is better to play than evening for arena? Or was I just really lucky with who I played against.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 17, 2015, 12:13:05 pm »

I just went 0-2, then won 6 games in a row as I queued against some of the worst players I've seen in a long time. I was wondering if morning is better to play than evening for arena? Or was I just really lucky with who I played against.

Probably a little of column A, a little of column B.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 19, 2015, 08:25:10 am »

I play every morning during my morning constitutional. I also play a little throughout the day. I can say that morning time definitely brings out the less skilled players.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.