Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329328 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #400 on: December 31, 2014, 08:02:29 pm »

I have to practice more with Rogue. I've been getting better, but I have so little experience with the class that I avoid it most of the time. Maybe I can play it more on my Euro account.

Druid yeah, that's a solid class for Arena, but I don't know what a 10+ win Druid deck looks like.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 31, 2014, 08:09:51 pm »

^Nice. I feel like Priest is one of the worst 2 classes in arena (along with Warlock). Priest has definitely got some of the best new cards in Cultist and Shrinkmeister, but it's so dependent on board position and without having a great means of getting that board position in the first place. My max wins with Priest is 9, Warlock/Hunter 11, and everything else 12. Of course, based on my evaluation of the strengths, Priest is my least played, then Warlock/Hunter, so maybe it's self-fulfilling. Or maybe I'm just worse with Priest than you are...
I mostly avoided Priest before Naxx in Arena because it was supposedly like bottom 3. Then when Naxx came out, I remember someone praising Dark Cultist as a card that made Priest one of the better classes for Arena. Now GvG is out and all classes can get a 3/4 in the form of Spider Tank, so maybe Priest lost a big advantage there, but now there's Shrinkmeister, Velen's Chosen, and possibly Lightbomb if you're lucky to get it.

I definitely noticed the Priest's weaknesses in the run. The Priest hero power is probably the weakest one in Arena. You need to win the board with big minions to get value out of it, which is why I picked Tiger a lot in the draft.

Lightbomb is nuts. I was lucky enough to get one and it's good enough to win games singlehandedly when I draw it.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 31, 2014, 08:40:54 pm »

^Nice. I feel like Priest is one of the worst 2 classes in arena (along with Warlock). Priest has definitely got some of the best new cards in Cultist and Shrinkmeister, but it's so dependent on board position and without having a great means of getting that board position in the first place. My max wins with Priest is 9, Warlock/Hunter 11, and everything else 12. Of course, based on my evaluation of the strengths, Priest is my least played, then Warlock/Hunter, so maybe it's self-fulfilling. Or maybe I'm just worse with Priest than you are...
I mostly avoided Priest before Naxx in Arena because it was supposedly like bottom 3. Then when Naxx came out, I remember someone praising Dark Cultist as a card that made Priest one of the better classes for Arena. Now GvG is out and all classes can get a 3/4 in the form of Spider Tank, so maybe Priest lost a big advantage there, but now there's Shrinkmeister, Velen's Chosen, and possibly Lightbomb if you're lucky to get it.

I definitely noticed the Priest's weaknesses in the run. The Priest hero power is probably the weakest one in Arena. You need to win the board with big minions to get value out of it, which is why I picked Tiger a lot in the draft.

Lightbomb is nuts. I was lucky enough to get one and it's good enough to win games singlehandedly when I draw it.
Yeah Lightbomb is really good in Arena, but it's epic. Just think of all the commonly picked big minions like Silver Hand Knight, Tiger, War Golem/Dr. Boom/Force Tank, Azure Drake, Stormwind Champion. Lightbomb wipes them all out singlehandedly, while the Priest user often has high health minions that survive. I feel it's a lot less likely to be just not enough than Holy Nova.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 03, 2015, 01:04:12 am »

Had a little bit of extra gold, so on a whim I picked Hunter over Shaman and Mage. Started 1-2 and finished 12-2, like all good Hunter decks. http://arenamastery.com/NIC4

Kezan Mystic, Scavenging Hyena, and Gladiator's Longbow each singlehandedly won me a game or two, but other than that it was a pretty typical midrange Hunter deck. Some Beast synergies, two Glaivezookas, good removal at all points in the game, and some solid minions (especially my Rares).

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 03, 2015, 05:07:56 pm »

Here's an odd Warlock draft: http://arenamastery.com/TbeJ

Tons of removal: 3x Darkbomb, Hellfire, Implosion, 2x Siphon Soul, Power Overwhelming + Shadowflame
Lots of heal: Earthen Ring Farseer, Antique Healbot, 2x Siphon Soul
Lots of 6-drops
Decent minion quality all around

I thought this would be a very solid deck, but I went 3-3, having lost to Truesilver Champion, Fiery War Axe, and Bloodlust. What's the deal?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:13:52 pm by ycz6 »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 03, 2015, 06:44:48 pm »

Here's an odd Warlock draft: http://arenamastery.com/TbeJ

Tons of removal: 3x Darkbomb, Hellfire, Implosion, 2x Siphon Soul, Power Overwhelming + Shadowflame
Lots of heal: Earthen Ring Farseer, Antique Healbot, 2x Siphon Soul
Lots of 6-drops
Decent minion quality all around

I thought this would be a very solid deck, but I went 3-3, having lost to Truesilver Champion, Fiery War Axe, and Bloodlust. What's the deal?

It looks like an ok deck, but most of your minions aren't sticky. Also, tons of spells doesn't work as well in arena since opponents can have minions that survive dark bombs and such. You had Sky Golem, sunwalker and a shredder which are sticky, but many of the other aren't. Also you had no really big minions. Floating watcher doesn't really count as a huge minion since it takes time to grow and starts very easy to kill.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 04, 2015, 11:11:56 am »

Sometimes you just lose, even with a good deck. You're especially more susceptible if your deck is heavier on removal than minions, since you don't get the runaway wins when your opponent draws poorly.

Also somewhat related, warlock is possibly the worst class in arena. Since he has the best hero power for constructed, he gets the worst class cards. But in arena, he has a bottom 3 hero power and the same bad set of cards, with the issue that you're even forced to pick some of them and in situations where you can't get good synergies out of them.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 04, 2015, 11:37:42 am »

I go back and forth on Warlock in arena.  His hero power doesn't affect the board, but it does a decently good job of guaranteeing that if a game goes long, you have a good shot of winning.  The class also has four very good cards to guarantee survival in the early game (Flame Imp, Soulfire, Darkbomb, Shadow Bolt), as well as a good sweeper in Hellfire.  It has two solid late-game minons (Dread Infernal, Floating Watcher) once it gets to the late game.  I do agree that many of the class cards are weak... but you can put together a deck with a solid gameplan that does well vs mostly everything (hunter is still a struggle).  The deck is reliant on getting cheap minions, though.. flame imps and zombie chows are excellent, and it can sometimes be a struggle without them.

I like Warlock more than hunter for sure.  And I think that I would rather play warlock than rogue, but that may just be that I haven't figured out how to draft rogue properly (I sure haven't figured out how to play against it.. it's routinely the class that I lose games against that I'm baffled I lost). 

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 04, 2015, 12:28:28 pm »

I'm starting to get a better handle on Rogue in Arena. Basically, Rogues are really good at dominating the board early with their class cards and hero power, but a good Rogue draft has a way to take advantage of that early board presence to finish off the opponent.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 05, 2015, 12:24:32 am »

I played 9 Mages in a row today... new record? http://i.imgur.com/iXjznp9.png

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 05, 2015, 12:41:17 am »

11 wins :(

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 05, 2015, 12:31:31 pm »

I like Warlock more than hunter for sure.  And I think that I would rather play warlock than rogue, but that may just be that I haven't figured out how to draft rogue properly (I sure haven't figured out how to play against it.. it's routinely the class that I lose games against that I'm baffled I lost).

This seems like mostly a matter of personal stylistic preference. If you don't like to play aggressively, you're not going to like Rogue or Hunter. But Rogue is arguably the best class in arena. It has hands down the best hero power, and the best early game class cards. And in arena, it's very easy to snowball from an early board advantage into a win.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 05, 2015, 01:17:16 pm »

This seems like mostly a matter of personal stylistic preference. If you don't like to play aggressively, you're not going to like Rogue or Hunter. But Rogue is arguably the best class in arena. It has hands down the best hero power, and the best early game class cards. And in arena, it's very easy to snowball from an early board advantage into a win.

I doubt Rogue is the best in arena. Sure if has great early card and a good hero power, but it lacks answers to big minions besides assasination. Also your power makes you take a lot of damage, and since mage is good you just die to fireballs/pyroblast/hunters/charge minions/weapons from warriors. Also you empty your hand fast if you have combos, and if you dont use the combos your cards are below average.

From my experience Mage, Priest, and Paladin are the best. I'm pretty sure Priest will beat Rogue most of the time, Paladin too. Probably Paladin more as his weapons can swing a game back, and he also has tons of good early game cards too, like minibot and muster for battle.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 05, 2015, 01:25:31 pm »

11 wins :(
In fact, it felt even worse, because I ended up in fatigue for my second and third losses. In the second I lost with a Fireball in hand and my opponent at 7 health when he hit me with Fireball + Frostbolt + ping for exact lethal, while the Priest just ran me over with value minions and my 1 Flamestrike + 0 Polymorph deck just couldn't keep up.

I also got a Sea Giant as a reward, which is one of the few epics that I already have two of.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 05, 2015, 01:40:47 pm »

I doubt Rogue is the best in arena. Sure if has great early card and a good hero power, but it lacks answers to big minions besides assasination. Also your power makes you take a lot of damage, and since mage is good you just die to fireballs/pyroblast/hunters/charge minions/weapons from warriors. Also you empty your hand fast if you have combos, and if you dont use the combos your cards are below average.

From my experience Mage, Priest, and Paladin are the best. I'm pretty sure Priest will beat Rogue most of the time, Paladin too. Probably Paladin more as his weapons can swing a game back, and he also has tons of good early game cards too, like minibot and muster for battle.

Rogue is by far my worst Arena class and I almost never pick it. Despite having a good hero power, it's cards are very reliant on comboing which can cause early game problems when your mana is limited. As King Zog the Third says you also blow through cards quickly if you are getting combos off and there's little in Rogue's card set that gives card draw when you need it (sure sprint is great, but you usually wanted it two turns ago, Shiv and Fan of Knives usually don't remove a creature on their own and thus feel slow to me). On top of that Rogue's AoE is finicky and situational: Betrayal always leaves a creature behind, Fan of Knives doesn't do enough damage to kill most things (see above) and Blade Flurry requires you to combo it with a weapon that can hit for a decent amount of damage, and is also a rare making it less likely to show up. Give me Consecrate, Holy Nova, Blizzard or Flamestrike please. Rogue's weapons are smaller and less common than Warrior's, and the ability while good for control setups isn't as aggressive as Hunter's, which can eke out a win in the late game if someone puts up a taunt wall, where Rogue can't.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 05, 2015, 02:59:00 pm »

Rogue is either really good or really bad in my experience. Trying to build a slower, more controlling Rogue deck just doesn't work out - you can't guarantee enough card draw in your draft, your class cards don't give you that much card advantage, and you can't use your hero power as removal too much because it damages you too.

So, you basically have to embrace a aggressive draft and play style. More weight to 2 and 3 drops, ideally a decent number of 1 drops too. Sometimes, you just have to hope they don't have a way to buff their creatures for value and go for the face damage, because if you force the even trade too much, you make the game go too long. Rogue has really good early game cards for board control, as long as they only have 1-2 minons the board at the time, so you either get board control and keep it until you win, or you lose it and never get it back.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 05, 2015, 03:56:44 pm »

Rogue is either really good or really bad in my experience. Trying to build a slower, more controlling Rogue deck just doesn't work out - you can't guarantee enough card draw in your draft, your class cards don't give you that much card advantage, and you can't use your hero power as removal too much because it damages you too.

So, you basically have to embrace a aggressive draft and play style. More weight to 2 and 3 drops, ideally a decent number of 1 drops too. Sometimes, you just have to hope they don't have a way to buff their creatures for value and go for the face damage, because if you force the even trade too much, you make the game go too long. Rogue has really good early game cards for board control, as long as they only have 1-2 minons the board at the time, so you either get board control and keep it until you win, or you lose it and never get it back.

I don't think you want to draft a significantly lower curve for Rogue. If you do, you'll just run out of cards. I think you want to draft "normal" and then just rely on your hero power and class cards to give you a tempo advantage, which you can use to trade favorably with minions.

I'm almost positive Rogue was #1 pre-GvG, but everything was so close, and it's possible that it has shifted significantly. Essentially, the addition of more sticky minions which can 2-for-1 stuff (Shredder, Mech Yeti, Spider, Brute) makes it less likely that an early board advantage is tantamount to a win (which it pretty-much was before). So Hunter and Rogue (and to a lesser extent Mage and Warrior) get weaker, and Priest, Druid, and Warlock get stronger (independently of the new class cards). It's not immediately clear how big this shift is.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 05, 2015, 05:08:21 pm »

I agree that as rogue you just draft a normal arena deck, no special mana curves are needed. I don't think it's the worst, but it's been mentioned that their class cards are very combo oriented, with no good AoE. A bad mage draft can still get a number of win, a bad rogue draft will do much worse.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 06, 2015, 11:54:55 am »

A bad mage draft can still get a number of win, a bad rogue draft will do much worse.

I feel like this is reversed. The floor for Rogue is higher because the hero power is better and there is no dependence on AoE (or any one particular card). Mage without Flamestrike or Fireball is like a completely different class.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 06, 2015, 04:49:46 pm »

Yeah some of the best cards in the Rogue arsenal work with your weapon, and so you end up taking a lot of face damage in an effort to maintain the board. I've found that drafting an Antique Healbot goes a long way to addressing this weakness. Opponents hoping to burst you down for a come-from-behind victory receive a nasty surprise when healbot gets plopped down. I suppose it's also good to draft as a Warlock to allow you to use the Warlock hero power even more liberally.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 06, 2015, 04:57:59 pm »

A bad mage draft can still get a number of win, a bad rogue draft will do much worse.

I feel like this is reversed. The floor for Rogue is higher because the hero power is better and there is no dependence on AoE (or any one particular card). Mage without Flamestrike or Fireball is like a completely different class.

Mage has a more solid pool of minions to choose from, meaning even if you don't get fireball or flamestike, you can get wins simply by having Water Elementals, snowchuggers to freeze weapon classes, flamecannons for great removal and polymorphs for removal. I've gone 7+ wins with an average mage deck with no fireballs or flamestikes, and just good minions. It's harder to draft that as a rogue because Rogue has so few good class minions, especially ones that are common.

Also good players play around flamestrike even if you don't have it.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 06, 2015, 06:34:50 pm »

Yeah some of the best cards in the Rogue arsenal work with your weapon, and so you end up taking a lot of face damage in an effort to maintain the board. I've found that drafting an Antique Healbot goes a long way to addressing this weakness. Opponents hoping to burst you down for a come-from-behind victory receive a nasty surprise when healbot gets plopped down. I suppose it's also good to draft as a Warlock to allow you to use the Warlock hero power even more liberally.

Yeah, I think people generally consider healing stronger in Rogue, Warlock, and Warrior drafts. If you check out http://www.heartharena.com/tierlist you can see that stuff like Healbot is rated higher in those classes.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 06, 2015, 08:04:17 pm »

Mage has a more solid pool of minions to choose from, meaning even if you don't get fireball or flamestike, you can get wins simply by having Water Elementals, snowchuggers to freeze weapon classes, flamecannons for great removal and polymorphs for removal. I've gone 7+ wins with an average mage deck with no fireballs or flamestikes, and just good minions. It's harder to draft that as a rogue because Rogue has so few good class minions, especially ones that are common.

I disagree with this. If you look at the list that ycz linked above me, they agree as well that while Rogue has fewer "beyond great" cards, it has as many or more "great", "good", "above average", and "average". I'm not saying you can't get 7+ without the best cards. We're talking about bad drafts, not mediocre ones. I'm saying you're more likely to get 3 or fewer with Mage than with Rogue. Mage is probably better than Rogue on average and more likely to get 12. But the chances of having a really bad draft is higher for Mage.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2015, 10:37:24 pm »

I disagree with this. If you look at the list that ycz linked above me, they agree as well that while Rogue has fewer "beyond great" cards, it has as many or more "great", "good", "above average", and "average". I'm not saying you can't get 7+ without the best cards. We're talking about bad drafts, not mediocre ones. I'm saying you're more likely to get 3 or fewer with Mage than with Rogue. Mage is probably better than Rogue on average and more likely to get 12. But the chances of having a really bad draft is higher for Mage.

Maybe it's my personal experience with Rogue that's skewing my opinion. When I draft mage I almost never go below 4, often 6 or 7. When I draft rogue my number of wins is extremely variable. I often face a number of more aggressive decks early in a run, and they die out after a while since good drafts beat them. As a rogue you lose to the aggressive drafts because your power hurts your hero.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 06, 2015, 11:49:34 pm »

Every time you pay health with Rogue, you're paying mana with Mage, so you're losing the board more. Rogue should do better in these situations than Mage unless they're playing Magma Ragers or something...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 22 queries.