Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329257 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2014, 12:29:29 am »

http://arenamastery.com/wsxZ

This one went 7-3, with the first two games being absolutely awful losses, one of which I posted in the "worst moments" thread.

The hero card here was Velen's Chosen.  I can see it being really good in constructed as well.

KingZog spectated one of my matches, my 4th or 5th win.  Worst moment there was Piloted Shredder popping to reveal... Captain's Parrot.  Best moment, though, was getting Gruul off a Mind Vision.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2014, 01:47:38 am »

Warrior gets Iron Juggernaut in draft.  Warrior plays IJ.  I draw the Mine immediately.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 20, 2014, 04:21:07 pm »

What would be your pick between

Anima Golem
Hungry Crab
Hobgoblin

as pick #30 of a Warlock draft with no mech synergies, no Murlocs, and no 1-attack minions?

Here's the full draft for reference: http://www.arenamastery.com/arena.php?shared=hs53ccb0d23ec9f&arena=456497

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 20, 2014, 05:09:50 pm »

What would be your pick between

Anima Golem
Hungry Crab
Hobgoblin

as pick #30 of a Warlock draft with no mech synergies, no Murlocs, and no 1-attack minions?

Here's the full draft for reference: http://www.arenamastery.com/arena.php?shared=hs53ccb0d23ec9f&arena=456497

Anima golem is pretty terrible. It's actually fairly easy to kill most of the time. I'd pick hobgoblin, but it's pretty bad too. But at least it's a minion that might do something. Sometimes you have to pick Thrallmar farseer, and it's essentially just a 2/3 for 3.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 20, 2014, 05:18:22 pm »

Well I went 1-3, but it seemed like Anima Golem had the potential to be completely bonkers in certain not-too-rare situations. The one game I won, I had Anima Golem out next to a Voidcaller, with a Dread Infernal in hand. If my opponent hadn't had a Shadow Word: Death he would've been dead in the water. It's good with Harvest Golem-type deathrattles, and if you have a bunch of those it might be playable.

Another game I played it along with a bunch of 3-health minions, including a taunt, into my opponent's Mini-Mage. He was a Priest with about seven cards in hand. That was a mistake.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 21, 2014, 06:08:43 am »

When all else fails, I like a card that make the opponent feel like they need to remove it.  I think Hobgoblin is that type of card -- your opponent doesn't know you have zero 1-attack minions.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 21, 2014, 10:41:43 am »

When all else fails, I like a card that make the opponent feel like they need to remove it.  I think Hobgoblin is that type of card -- your opponent doesn't know you have zero 1-attack minions.
Couldn't you do the same thing with Mechwarper? Your opponent doesn't know you have little to no mechs.

Edit: Oh right, this is the arena discussion thread.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:43:14 am by markusin »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 21, 2014, 01:48:43 pm »

Well I went 1-3, but it seemed like Anima Golem had the potential to be completely bonkers in certain not-too-rare situations. The one game I won, I had Anima Golem out next to a Voidcaller, with a Dread Infernal in hand. If my opponent hadn't had a Shadow Word: Death he would've been dead in the water. It's good with Harvest Golem-type deathrattles, and if you have a bunch of those it might be playable.

Another game I played it along with a bunch of 3-health minions, including a taunt, into my opponent's Mini-Mage. He was a Priest with about seven cards in hand. That was a mistake.
Worgen infiltrator and blood imp are way more relevant as combos. 

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 22, 2014, 07:28:03 am »

Turn 3 he attacked with Velen's Chosen Sun Shattered Cleric.
I didn't clear it, so turn 4 he attacked with it again, and also cast 2 Mind Blasts, putting me at 8.

I won after that..

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 23, 2014, 03:31:06 am »

Opinions on Tinker's Sharpsword Oil in arena?

I picked it over Assassin's Blade since I wanted to try it out, and so far I'm not convinced it was worth it, but Assassin's Blade is amazing.

In terms of removal, even without the combo it's 6 damage over 2 turns for 4 mana, which is Fireball-like, but it's broken up and you take some damage too. Breaking up the damage is good or bad depending on what kind of deck you're against. The deck I drafted was pretty aggressive, so it's a bit awkward to get 4 mana and a full charge Hero power at times, but getting to remove threats without losing creatures has let me win a couple games.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 23, 2014, 07:09:21 am »

Opinions on Tinker's Sharpsword Oil in arena?

I picked it over Assassin's Blade since I wanted to try it out, and so far I'm not convinced it was worth it, but Assassin's Blade is amazing.

In terms of removal, even without the combo it's 6 damage over 2 turns for 4 mana, which is Fireball-like, but it's broken up and you take some damage too. Breaking up the damage is good or bad depending on what kind of deck you're against. The deck I drafted was pretty aggressive, so it's a bit awkward to get 4 mana and a full charge Hero power at times, but getting to remove threats without losing creatures has let me win a couple games.

I find it quite good, but definitely not as good as Assassin's Blade. It is powerful but can be quite clunky at times. Most of the time you cannot get full value out of it, but even when you don't it's fine.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:10:59 am by Grujah »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 23, 2014, 02:42:48 pm »

I think it's decent, but it's far from great. It's quite hard to get full value from it. The key is that you have to stick a minion, and then be able to combo. If you get the combo on a sleeping minion, there's too much of a chance the +3 attack does nothing. And if you just get it on the weapon, you're looking at essentially a 4/2 weapon for 6, which is not really good.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 23, 2014, 02:55:14 pm »

I haven't been impressed with Sharp Oil. It's too hard to get full value.Maybe if you already have assassins blades, then you put it on that and you can rush lethal, but otherwise it's very average.

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 23, 2014, 03:02:23 pm »
+2

Just finished my first ever 12 win arena!  Previous best was 9 wins.  Went 12-1 (and had at least one major misplay with wild pyro in the loss).

Here's the deck:  http://arenamastery.com/xkA7

A bunch of big solid cards, mad bombers that behaved (in my last match, my bomber killed a mana wyrm with the battlecry). 

Edit:  Never said this:  Shaman
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:39:41 pm by mpsprs »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 23, 2014, 03:44:36 pm »

I think it's decent, but it's far from great. It's quite hard to get full value from it. The key is that you have to stick a minion, and then be able to combo. If you get the combo on a sleeping minion, there's too much of a chance the +3 attack does nothing. And if you just get it on the weapon, you're looking at essentially a 4/2 weapon for 6, which is not really good.
In constructed, I saw someone play Southsea deckhand -> Sharpsword oil. That was kinda cool, but not game winning.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 23, 2014, 11:52:54 pm »

12-1 Rogue! Almost the 12-0 dream, the one game I lost was because I drew very few early game minions in my opening hand. That may have been my fault - I sent back a Dancing Swords against a Paladin, thinking I would draw into more early game, but I didn't. If I had kept it, I think this might have been a 12-0, but it's hard to say.

4x Backstab

1x Zombie Chow

1x Betrayal
1x Sap
1x Shiv
2x Defias Ringleader
1x Goblin Autobarber
1x Mad Bomber
1x Mana Wraith
1x Novice Engineer
1x Ship's Cannon

1x Dancing Swords
2x SI:7 Agent
1x Spider Tank

1x Tinker's Sharpsword Oil
1x Defender of Argus
1x Gnomish Inventor
1x Piloted Shredder
1x Spellbreaker

1x Assassinate
1x Azure Drake
2x Darkscale Healer
1x Salty Dog

1x Archmage

Such a ridiculous deck - every game I won didn't feel close at all. I drop my early game, Backstab + SI:7 my way through anything they play, Sap/Spellbreaker on any taunts, and kill them before they can catch up. On my last game, I ended up playing a 4 damage Backstab off Azure + Archmage that completely swung the game to me.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 24, 2014, 01:03:41 am »

I share the joy with Titandrake. A 12-1 run as Priest. Is it a Christmas Miracle.

http://arenamastery.com/vqMg

Most games I won solidly, with a Holy Fire acting as surprise lethal. The one game I lost was against a Mage that coined out a Micro Machine that had to be killed by a Sludge Belcher. Even in that game, I was fairly close to winning, but my opponent topdecked a lethal Fireball.

Oh and Shrinkmeister is really crazy in arena. In one game I double shrunk an Ogre Brute.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 24, 2014, 03:15:00 am »

I'm still in search of the elusive 12 win arena.  My last three were 4, 6, and 2 wins. :(  The last loss in that last one, vs Hunter, I had Malygos on the table, plus another minion to knock out the taunt and two totems, plus Lava Burst and Lightning Bolt in hand.  Hunter had 24 health, I had 1.  The game hinged on the 50/50 chance of getting Wrath of Air totem.  Mais, non.

(The hunter topdecking a taunt didn't help.)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 24, 2014, 05:47:56 am »

Inspired by your 12 win runs and some wine, I bought an arena ticket and promptly went 4-3...got 75 gold though.

And Fel Reaver is awesome.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 31, 2014, 06:28:16 pm »

Yay, another 12-win arena run, right before the New Year's celebration. All about the eye of the tiger. Got Bolvar in the pack too, which is now the first Legendary I got from a GvG pack.

http://arenamastery.com/HMCn

This is the 3 run out of my four 12-win runs that was done with a Priest. I don't know if it's just me or if Priest has gotten better because of the new class cards it received after Naxx and GvG. It seems Priest runs can be really good so long as you draft towards the better synergies and cards (and get a Northshire Cleric or two).

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 31, 2014, 06:41:43 pm »

^Nice. I feel like Priest is one of the worst 2 classes in arena (along with Warlock). Priest has definitely got some of the best new cards in Cultist and Shrinkmeister, but it's so dependent on board position and without having a great means of getting that board position in the first place. My max wins with Priest is 9, Warlock/Hunter 11, and everything else 12. Of course, based on my evaluation of the strengths, Priest is my least played, then Warlock/Hunter, so maybe it's self-fulfilling. Or maybe I'm just worse with Priest than you are...

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 31, 2014, 06:47:14 pm »

I don't play often, so there is definitely a sample size thing, and I'm not good either, which affects things, but priest is my strongest arena class.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 31, 2014, 07:21:15 pm »

^Nice. I feel like Priest is one of the worst 2 classes in arena (along with Warlock). Priest has definitely got some of the best new cards in Cultist and Shrinkmeister, but it's so dependent on board position and without having a great means of getting that board position in the first place. My max wins with Priest is 9, Warlock/Hunter 11, and everything else 12. Of course, based on my evaluation of the strengths, Priest is my least played, then Warlock/Hunter, so maybe it's self-fulfilling. Or maybe I'm just worse with Priest than you are...
I mostly avoided Priest before Naxx in Arena because it was supposedly like bottom 3. Then when Naxx came out, I remember someone praising Dark Cultist as a card that made Priest one of the better classes for Arena. Now GvG is out and all classes can get a 3/4 in the form of Spider Tank, so maybe Priest lost a big advantage there, but now there's Shrinkmeister, Velen's Chosen, and possibly Lightbomb if you're lucky to get it.

I definitely noticed the Priest's weaknesses in the run. The Priest hero power is probably the weakest one in Arena. You need to win the board with big minions to get value out of it, which is why I picked Tiger a lot in the draft.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:13 pm »

Of course, Mage and Paladin are better than ever in Arena now. I realized that most of the neutral non-legendary cards in GvG are vulnerable to Flamestrike. There are more Yetis, but not more Boulderfist Ogres.

Paladins got some really solid Arena cards in GvG.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 31, 2014, 07:47:17 pm »

Actually, while spider tank and ogre brute make cultist less uniquiely powerful, they are also nicer for priest than for other classes because they are sticky and healable.

Priest absolutely needs to find a way to have a minion on board at the start of your turn in order to make effective use of hero power, pw:s, shrinkmeister, and temple enforcer. If you can do that (3 tigers helps), it feels really powerful. But it's much less reliable than mage, rogue, and druid. Maybe it's as good as shaman, which has the same problem, but I've just managed to get better shaman drafts.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.