Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329222 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2014, 01:58:28 pm »

Here's the quote.

^I wouldn't say Dire wolf is "often 4/2 with 2 of its attack charging". It's often a Rifleman when it comes out and demands to be removed.
Sunfury and Feral are rare, and Harvest Golem is a 3-drop. Definitely 2/2s are worse than 3/2s in that if you don't play them on turn 2, the body is weak. Pint-sized and Mana Wraith are good when played on turn 2. They trade with 3/2s, and have upside. They get worse later in the game, which is why they are slightly below-average cards. Dire Wolf actually is good if you can maintain something on the board, which makes it the best of the 2/2s, the only neutral one better than Raptor.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2014, 02:10:49 pm »

Funny quote because there are several neutral 3/2 2-drops with additional effects that make them strictly superior to Raptor.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 23, 2014, 02:03:22 am »

I just got offered Molten Giant, Mountain Giant, Sea Giant for an arena pick.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 23, 2014, 02:10:32 am »

So... Sea Giant, right?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 23, 2014, 02:18:31 am »

So... Sea Giant, right?

Yep. It also helps that I already picked Haunted Creeper + Imp Master and I was Rogue (so getting a Defias Ringleader or 2 wasn't that unlikely.)

Edit: Knife Juggler + Defias is silly. Knife Juggler behind Taunted Defias + Haunted Creeper is also silly. Knife Juggler + Imp Master behind those taunts? I think my Juggler threw ~10 knives that game, almost all of them hitting minions. It was completely ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:09:22 pm by Titandrake »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2014, 11:22:58 pm »

Ugh, 4 out of my last 5 arenas gave me a non-gold common, and twice at the 6-win mark. Just so annoying.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 25, 2014, 12:21:00 am »

Funny quote because there are several neutral 3/2 2-drops with additional effects that make them strictly superior to Raptor.

You misread it. I said it's the only neutral 2/2 that's better than Raptor.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2014, 12:51:37 am »

I just had a ridiculously close arena game that went to fatigue for both players. I won only because my opponent misplayed on the very last turn. I'm at 8 health and have just played my last card, Fire Elemental. He drops a 5/4, Fireballs Fire Elemental, then hero powers my face. But, if he had Fireballed + hero powered my face, I would died to the fatigue draw.

Now, turns out it doesn't matter, unless I roll the 50% chance for a Taunt totem. If I do, he can't break through to kill me, and I only need to stall for one turn. I do, and he loses to fatigue :D

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 26, 2014, 09:08:06 pm »

I just went from 0-2 to 10-2 with a Paladin deck. It was a bit too heavy on 4 drops, but was solid.

I lost two first rounds to some sick openings: Undertaker/Haunted Creeper/Harvest Golem Mage on game 1, and -/Hyena/UTH for 2, for 6/3 hyena vs my empty board on turn 3 in game 2.
Was really bummed, but 10 straight wins was awesome.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:11:47 pm by Grujah »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 26, 2014, 09:38:39 pm »

Reminds me of my most traumatizing arena loss.  I attacked something while there was a trap out, it was snake trap.  The next turn after the snakes came out, timber wolf, timber wolf, old UTH (they all get +1/+0 and charge).

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 28, 2014, 03:12:20 am »

My last 3 arena runs have been 11, 8, 12 wins. I suspect that was partly from amazingly good drafts, but it can't all be from that, can it?

(Rogue with 2 Backstabs + 2 Defias + smattering of combo/Assassinate/good stuff, Shaman with sketchy early-game minions but 3 Lightning Storms, 2 Bolts, and 2 Fire Elementals, Hunter with very good aggressive curve, 2 Spellbreakers to break through taunt, 2 Freezing Traps + 2 Explosive Traps and a Highmane.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 28, 2014, 12:07:27 pm »

Respectively? Achievement unlocked, I've yet to get 12 arena wins as hunter.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 28, 2014, 12:17:44 pm »

My best runs are with Shaman. My brother's best runs are with Mage. I do pretty well with warrior too though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 28, 2014, 12:30:56 pm »

I'm still averaging like 4 wins in Arena. :(
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #339 on: November 28, 2014, 12:40:07 pm »

I've been most successful with Druid and Paladin.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 28, 2014, 12:45:56 pm »

I'm still averaging like 4 wins in Arena. :(

That's still pretty good. I only average 4.77 since I started tracking it on Arena Mastery, and though there's definitely room for improvement with my play and drafts I'm not sadfaced by my ranking. I don't think you should be either! 4 wins is good!

My best drafts are usually with Shaman and Warrior.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 28, 2014, 12:56:26 pm »

Reminds me of my most traumatizing arena loss.  I attacked something while there was a trap out, it was snake trap.  The next turn after the snakes came out, timber wolf, timber wolf, old UTH (they all get +1/+0 and charge).

I think I just traumatized someone. We're about even on life and cards. His board is a Cult Master, Amani Berserker (7/2), Flametongue Totem, Healing Totem (2/2). Naturalize his Cult Master and play an Ironbark Protector (he was going to get two cards from his Cult Master anyways so I basically had to Naturalize it). He gets an amazing trade for the Ironbark, wipes my board and is 2 cards up. He plays out most of his cards and they are all two health except for his Flametongue. I've literally got one out in my deck and I draw my Starfall, wiping his board by pinging the surviving Totem. I play out my hand and then he Deathwing's the board wiping it again. I don't have any more direct removal, but he can't kill me in one turn. He chooses to trade with a 4/4 I have on the board leaving a Scarlet Crusader on my side to his Flametongue and 1/1 totem. I topdeck a Starfire and kill Deathwing, clear his board again the following turn and he surrenders. Biggest rollercoaster of a game I've ever played, and one in which I was incredibly lucky. We both had 3 cards left.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 28, 2014, 08:14:33 pm »

Jeez. Guys plays a Lorewalker Cho. Next turn, I laugh when he plays Gadzetan the following turn and I actually do not kill anything, as I am ahead on board and him casting spells isn't really good for him.

So next turn he plays Naturalize, +2/+2 Taunt and Swipe.

Ez win. :D

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 28, 2014, 08:17:15 pm »

Oh, and I played some Pint-Size Summoner (I rarely do), and yeah, he is quite decent. good.
Also people underrate it so you can get away with it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:47:28 pm by Grujah »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 29, 2014, 03:51:34 pm »

What, exactly is cho supposed to be good for? It seems like I am missing something obvious but as far as I can tell it's the worst card I have ever seen in play. Anytime someone has it in their deck I beat them quite soundly. I suppose it would make sense if it had good stats and you used no spells but that isn't the case. So, what gives with this card?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 29, 2014, 03:56:32 pm »

What, exactly is cho supposed to be good for? It seems like I am missing something obvious but as far as I can tell it's the worst card I have ever seen in play. Anytime someone has it in their deck I beat them quite soundly. I suppose it would make sense if it had good stats and you used no spells but that isn't the case. So, what gives with this card?

It used to have 1 attack. It's for decks that don't use spells, or don't care if you give spells to the opponent. I think it's in the category of Legendaries that are more fun than useful, like Millhouse Manastorm.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 29, 2014, 04:18:49 pm »

It's really not that hard to break the symmetry of the card and make it work for you.  Coldlight Oracle helps both players too but it gets usage. 

It's just that Lorewalker Cho's stats are too low.  2/2 for 3 isn't quite as bad as 0/4 for 2.  His symmetrical effect has to do too much work to make up for his below curve body.  Totally removing all attack from the minion was an overnerf, the drop from 1 to 0 is like the 4$ to 5$ gap in dominion.  Lose the ability to poke divine shields, to commit suicide in an odd situation where that's necessary, to finish off 2/1's that your Flame imps don't want to fight.

Pagle barely barely sees any play right now, so Lorewalker Cho's failure to see play doesn't necessarily mean his effect isn't powerful, because .5 cards per turn is unarguably powerful.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 30, 2014, 07:42:50 pm »

So, the answer to the question is "he got nerfed". Yeah, they broke him.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 01, 2014, 11:20:44 am »

The (first world) problem with building a deck that's really great in the late game is that even when you're winning games all your games take forever. I've never had to run through my deck so often as I have with this deck, and every game feels like it's 30 minutes long.

http://arenamastery.com/dwvj

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 01, 2014, 12:01:38 pm »

yeah I've said for a long time that I think Trump is skewed towards aggro just because of that phenomenon (and he wins either way()
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.