Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329293 times)

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #250 on: September 29, 2014, 07:04:37 pm »
+2

So I understand that I am late to the party, but I finally got 12 wins, even 12-1. Last 3 games I played against very same hunter, ended up 2-1 vs him (btw he played just outright bad. Through first 2 games he saw my only secret was mirror entity and still played geddon into it last game). Me previous best result was 7

Frankly I did not thought it was that good of a draft. Granted, I got 2 fs, but otherwise - single fireball, no poly, no elems, only card draw is through azures. On the other hand I had quite high mana curve, so I was not in top deck mode through most of the games. Seems like I was lucky I've got my few early game cards against agro opponents

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 29, 2014, 07:16:54 pm »

So I understand that I am late to the party, but I finally got 12 wins, even 12-1. Last 3 games I played against very same hunter, ended up 2-1 vs him (btw he played just outright bad. Through first 2 games he saw my only secret was mirror entity and still played geddon into it last game). Me previous best result was 7

Frankly I did not thought it was that good of a draft. Granted, I got 2 fs, but otherwise - single fireball, no poly, no elems, only card draw is through azures. On the other hand I had quite high mana curve, so I was not in top deck mode through most of the games. Seems like I was lucky I've got my few early game cards against agro opponents

Congrats! I still haven't gotten 12 wins yet (I think my record is 10?).

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 29, 2014, 09:45:04 pm »

9 here. I seriously think that fireball is not a winning factor in a good raft. I've had multiple decks with enough fireballs and Flamestrikes and still lose. My last mage draft I lost to players over investing in a board, and I would have won had I drawn a single flamestrike (I had 2).

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2014, 01:16:56 am »

9 here. I seriously think that fireball is not a winning factor in a good raft. I've had multiple decks with enough fireballs and Flamestrikes and still lose. My last mage draft I lost to players over investing in a board, and I would have won had I drawn a single flamestrike (I had 2).

My Paladin arenas have been much better than my Mage arenas on average, I think because the Paladin 4 cost cards are almost all 2 for-1s. Truesilver = 2 dead things. Hammer = 3 Damage + 1 Card back so you trade 1-for-0. Consecrate = general board clear. Blessing isn't always a 2 for 1, but often has potential to be. For Mage, if you have to play your Fireball or Poly turn 4, you're still only trading 1 for 1. They're still excellent cards mind you - your 4 mana can kill practically anything, but it's a mana advantage, not a card advantage. Stuff like Water Elemental is great, to the point where I almost prefer it over Fireball.

Mage is ridiculous if you can get to an even board state, because your spells and hero power are great at efficiently shutting down your opponent's board. Otherwise, you're relying on the Flamestrike. Whereas with Paladin, you can't kill big things as easily, but for everything else you can gain enough card advantage that it doesn't matter, while still keeping enough tempo to win early as well.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2014, 01:17:10 am »

My record is also still 10.  I have been doing worse lately, probably through not actually putting as much thought into playing as perhaps I ought to.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 30, 2014, 04:43:07 am »

Holy shit, what a draft. I actually started tearing up in laughter during the string of picks from 10-15.

Full deck (Not pictured: 1x Earth Shock):

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 01, 2014, 09:32:51 am »

My Paladin arenas have been much better than my Mage arenas on average, I think because the Paladin 4 cost cards are almost all 2 for-1s. Truesilver = 2 dead things. Hammer = 3 Damage + 1 Card back so you trade 1-for-0. Consecrate = general board clear. Blessing isn't always a 2 for 1, but often has potential to be. For Mage, if you have to play your Fireball or Poly turn 4, you're still only trading 1 for 1. They're still excellent cards mind you - your 4 mana can kill practically anything, but it's a mana advantage, not a card advantage. Stuff like Water Elemental is great, to the point where I almost prefer it over Fireball.

Mage is ridiculous if you can get to an even board state, because your spells and hero power are great at efficiently shutting down your opponent's board. Otherwise, you're relying on the Flamestrike. Whereas with Paladin, you can't kill big things as easily, but for everything else you can gain enough card advantage that it doesn't matter, while still keeping enough tempo to win early as well.

I would say Paladin relies on board control much more than Mage does. You need some minion on the board to get value from Argent Protector or Blessing of Kings or Blessing of Might or Avenge or hero power. Paladin is all about getting board control from low drops, or turn 4 swings (Truesilver), and then snowballing. If you lose board control, you can find yourself in more trouble than you would be with Mage. You can't play your blessings or put a divine shield on anything. And Hammer really isn't that great because it's only really able to kill 2-drops, which is bad for tempo, so it's not something you want to do when behind on the board.

Mage losing on the board can use spells and hero power to kill minions or just go yolo for the face. It's true that there aren't that many sources of card advantage for Mage, but that just means that if you don't draft a ton of damage spells to go aggro, you need to draft big guys more highly. For example, given the choice between Grizzly and War Golem, Paladin takes the Grizzly for the earlier board control and Mage takes the War Golem for late game.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 04, 2014, 09:14:47 pm »

Easiest 12 wins of my life: http://arenamastery.com/Sobb

Good old Consecration.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2014, 11:29:58 pm »

That moment when you get Sylvanas and Ragnaros in your Warlock draft.

This deck is actually pretty solid, the curve is very well balanced. Peaks at 3, a little fewer 4s, then just Sylvanas + Rag at the high end, which lets me use hero power a lot.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 07, 2014, 03:16:14 am »
+2

I just pulled off Shadow Madness -> Youthful Brewmaster in arena o_o

On a Sen'jin Shieldmasta, no less

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:25 pm »
+2

I did it. 12 wins. Underwhelming golden cards (Leper Gnome and Upgrade), but 265 gold isn't too bad.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 09, 2014, 12:14:42 am »

Gratz.
Any gold rare is a good result, imo. It's at least 100 dust, which at some point is better than a pack. You used to get them half the time for 9 wins but now it seems they show up much less frequently. It still bothers me that it's possible to get non-gold commons on 12 win runs.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 09, 2014, 11:33:46 am »

Gratz.
Any gold rare is a good result, imo. It's at least 100 dust, which at some point is better than a pack. You used to get them half the time for 9 wins but now it seems they show up much less frequently. It still bothers me that it's possible to get non-gold commons on 12 win runs.
According to the wiki for hearthstone arena, non-gold commons are not supposed to be a possible 12-win arena reward. At worst you get a golden common. Are you sure you've seen a golden common given at 12 wins recently?

I haven't reached 12 wins yet. My record is still 11 wins with a Paladin deck.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 09, 2014, 12:27:35 pm »

Gold common at 12 wins can still happen, non-gold common shouldn't. It's in an official patch note that they took out non-gold common rewards at 12 wins.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2014, 12:39:12 am »

Oh I didn't see that patch note. For sure I have received a non-gold common for 12 wins, but it was a while ago.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 11, 2014, 02:12:07 am »

Holy crap, apparently 2 wins in arena is Zoo Central. Just played these two consecutive opponents:

T1: Coin, Knife Juggler
T2: Undertaker, Flame Imp
T3: Harvest Golem
T4: Demonfire his Flame Imp to kill my Violet Teacher, tap
T5: Dire Wolf Alpha, kill me

T1: Coin, Worgen Infiltrator, Blood Imp
T2: Echoing Ooze, Soulfire, the Blood Imp procs on the Ooze so he has two 1/3s
T3: Argent Squire, tap, Voodoo Doctor
T4: Soulfire with empty hand, tap

Fortunately by T5 I had a Blood Imp of my own and a Fen Creeper out, so I was able to make the comeback. But still, damn. Flashbacks to the constructed meta a few months ago.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 11, 2014, 07:09:57 am »

Holy crap, apparently 2 wins in arena is Zoo Central. Just played these two consecutive opponents:

T1: Coin, Knife Juggler
T2: Undertaker, Flame Imp
T3: Harvest Golem
T4: Demonfire his Flame Imp to kill my Violet Teacher, tap
T5: Dire Wolf Alpha, kill me

T1: Coin, Worgen Infiltrator, Blood Imp
T2: Echoing Ooze, Soulfire, the Blood Imp procs on the Ooze so he has two 1/3s
T3: Argent Squire, tap, Voodoo Doctor
T4: Soulfire with empty hand, tap

Fortunately by T5 I had a Blood Imp of my own and a Fen Creeper out, so I was able to make the comeback. But still, damn. Flashbacks to the constructed meta a few months ago.

Personally I have never been impressed with Warlock in arena. My runs have always been bad, and mostly so have my opponents' decks unless they get a draft as you talked about here that is very much like a real zoo deck.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2014, 12:19:01 am »

Hrm, another 11-3 run. I can't get past that 11-win hump. I was a Shaman this time tough. I got 3 Southsea Deckhands in the pack ???
http://arenamastery.com/f5NI.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2014, 11:52:55 pm »

Just had a terrible 0-3 run as a Shaman...only one elemental, no spirit wolves, no shocks...Lame.

Then, my pack had a rare (Mind Control Tech), a golden rare (Crazed Alchemist), and a Leeroy.

So that's nice.  :)
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #269 on: October 13, 2014, 11:59:52 am »

My current Paladin run deck -- right now I'm at 5-1 with it.

I'm just extremely lucky to have gotten this, right?  Tirion, 4 Guardian of Kings', 2 Consecrates, 2 swords etc?  Obviously I need to survive to late game.  I've won a few of these games after dropping to less than 5 health and then dropping a Guardian of Kings turn after turn.

Thoughts?  I'll prob screw this up, but let's see how it goes =)

1 Light's Justice
1 Zombie Chow
2 Acidic Swamp Ooze x2
2 Bluegill Warrior
2 Faerie Dragon
2 Ironbeak Owl
2 Mad Bomber
3 Aldor Peacekeeper
3 Earthen Ring Farseer
3 Harvest Golem
4 Truesilver Champion x2
4 Blessing of Kings
4 Consecration x2
4 Ancient Brewmaster
4 Dark Iron Dwarf
4 Defender of Argus
5 Frostwolf Warlord
5 Sludge Belcher
5 Spectral Knight
5 Spiteful Smith
6 Argent Commander
6 Boulderfist Ogre
7 Guardian of Kings x4
8 Tirion Fordring

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2014, 12:47:15 pm »

Another 12-win run: http://arenamastery.com/1PkG  This one is sandwiched in between a 0-3 and a 1-3, amusingly.

Final game: http://www.twitch.tv/10b5/c/5278437

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 13, 2014, 06:18:52 pm »
+1

I'm just extremely lucky to have gotten this, right?  Tirion, 4 Guardian of Kings', 2 Consecrates, 2 swords etc?  Obviously I need to survive to late game.  I've won a few of these games after dropping to less than 5 health and then dropping a Guardian of Kings turn after turn.

<list>

Curve looks a little high to me. You don't really want that many Guardian of Kings since they're not so great and a hand full of them is bad news pre-turn 7. But you do have enough 2-drops, Swords, and Consecrates to probably survive until that point a lot of the time at which I guess the spam heal work out...?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:46 pm »
+1

<list>

Curve looks a little high to me. You don't really want that many Guardian of Kings since they're not so great and a hand full of them is bad news pre-turn 7. But you do have enough 2-drops, Swords, and Consecrates to probably survive until that point a lot of the time at which I guess the spam heal work out...?

Everything he has of 5 or less is really strong though. I don't see many games where he doesn't make it to his high curve cards. Really good draft.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2014, 10:06:31 pm »
+1

^The way is to draw a hand full of the high mana cards. Like the deck is probably better if you replace one Guardian of Kings with a Novice Engineer. But yeah, most likely it will go well.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #274 on: October 14, 2014, 10:03:51 am »
+1

Yeah, it's not like Shaman or Rogue where you can fall behind on the board but quickly flip it.  As a Paladin, if you have a bad early draw, don't draw your Consecrate/Truesilver, you have a real problem recovering the board.

That being said it's still a very strong Paladin deck.  Replace one or two Guardian of Kings with Argent Protector and it's nigh-unstoppable.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.