Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329406 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2014, 09:37:53 pm »

This deck has been pretty fun, 3-0 so far. I do wish I had had an Amani Berzerker or 2, I passed one up early for the Spectral Knight, but how was I supposed to know this deck was going to be so aggro? Even then, Spectral is still probably better because it's hard to remove, meaning it's very likely to put in damage.

I pretty much auto pick Spectral Knight. He's better than Yeti I think, possibly the best neutral common for arena. He has so much impact on the board, he's almost AoE.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2014, 10:05:14 pm »

This deck has been pretty fun, 3-0 so far. I do wish I had had an Amani Berzerker or 2, I passed one up early for the Spectral Knight, but how was I supposed to know this deck was going to be so aggro? Even then, Spectral is still probably better because it's hard to remove, meaning it's very likely to put in damage.

I pretty much auto pick Spectral Knight. He's better than Yeti I think, possibly the best neutral common for arena. He has so much impact on the board, he's almost AoE.

Yeah, Yeti and Spectral are both auto-picks for me. In here, I think Spiteful Smith is arguably a better card because of all my weapons, but I didn't see one to pick.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2014, 11:54:52 pm »

I've been having trouble with Rogue in arena. It seems to be my worst class.

I just started this arena run, currently 1-0. Any comments on the draft?
http://arenamastery.com/GWJM
Ended 8-3. My best rest for Rogue so far.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2014, 03:25:05 am »

I am about to start an arena run with Tinkmaster Overspark, Feugen, Nozdormu... and Alarm-o-bot.

http://arenamastery.com/HcZu

And three Consecrations. Wish me luck!!

Edit: 3-3 :/

Why would you take Nozdormu over Onyxia?

I've had Onyxia in an arena before, but not Nozdormu. :)

Nozdormu actually won me two of those games, as it turns out. In one case my opponent failed to attack with any of his three minions on board and I had lethal, and in the other my opponent just resigned immediately.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2014, 10:01:17 am »

I am about to start an arena run with Tinkmaster Overspark, Feugen, Nozdormu... and Alarm-o-bot.

http://arenamastery.com/HcZu

And three Consecrations. Wish me luck!!

Edit: 3-3 :/

Why would you take Nozdormu over Onyxia?

I've had Onyxia in an arena before, but not Nozdormu. :)

Nozdormu actually won me two of those games, as it turns out. In one case my opponent failed to attack with any of his three minions on board and I had lethal, and in the other my opponent just resigned immediately.

So 1 game really, since the second seems like a bit of an idiot :P Onyxia would for sure have done better, but I understand wanting to hear Nozdormus attack sounds and stuff. It's exciting.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2014, 10:04:23 am »
+6

It's a tech card for the iPad matchup.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2014, 10:20:41 am »

It's a tech card for the iPad matchup.

Still not a reason to pick it over Onyxia. If anything then, out of politeness you don't pick it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2014, 08:25:54 pm »

The choice I'm currently looking at:  Black Knight vs. Cairne vs. VanCleef.  I don't think I've ever had three actually good legendaries available to choose from...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2014, 08:30:44 pm »

Probably not VanCleef. Depends on the other cards.

Other two are top-notch, I think I'd give a slight advantage to TBK.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2014, 10:53:23 pm »
+1

I went with BK... and went 2-3.  Alas.

Highlight now of my current (3-2) Mage.  I go first against a Priest

M1: Pass
P1: Coin, Amani Berseker
M2: Swamp Ooze (should take out the Berserker, right?)
P2: PW:S, PW:S, kill Ooze.

With no taunts in hand, I couldn't kill the thing until I topdecked a FB... by which point I was already hosed.  Just amazing.

Edit:  OK, I take it back.  The highlight was my Deathlord pulling out a Warlock's Mountain Giant... on T4.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:00:00 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2014, 11:27:35 pm »

Edit:  OK, I take it back.  The highlight was my Deathlord pulling out a Warlock's Mountain Giant... on T4.
To be fair, that is usually when Warlocks play Mountain Giant in constructed.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2014, 12:08:16 am »

I went with BK... and went 2-3.  Alas.

Highlight now of my current (3-2) Mage.  I go first against a Priest

M1: Pass
P1: Coin, Amani Berseker
M2: Swamp Ooze (should take out the Berserker, right?)
P2: PW:S, PW:S, kill Ooze.

With no taunts in hand, I couldn't kill the thing until I topdecked a FB... by which point I was already hosed.  Just amazing.

I can commiserate, I've had a Deathlord pull an opponent's Ragnaros in Arena. :(

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2014, 12:45:06 am »

It seems like I have a thing for Azure Drake, play topdecked Holy Nova, because I've been saved by that combo for the second time, both of which were times it was my only out.

Also the first time I killed someone by making their Acolyte of Pain draw an extra card to get them into fatigue damage faster. Wasn't expecting it to happen in an arena game, but I guess that happens against a deck with Lay on Hands + Hammers + 2 Acolytes.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2014, 01:03:58 am »

It seems like I have a thing for Azure Drake, play topdecked Holy Nova, because I've been saved by that combo for the second time, both of which were times it was my only out.

Also the first time I killed someone by making their Acolyte of Pain draw an extra card to get them into fatigue damage faster. Wasn't expecting it to happen in an arena game, but I guess that happens against a deck with Lay on Hands + Hammers + 2 Acolytes.

The best is Preist vs. Priest where you fatigue them with their Northshires.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2014, 01:24:38 am »

6. Panda > Magi. Panda is really good, one of the best 2-drops. It's good on turn 2, and unlike many other 2-drops, it can create some great value plays late game. Magi is meh.
10. BGH > Faceless imo, but it's close. Neither has that many great targets in arena, but are never really bad. But I think BGH is a blowout more often and saves you against the stuff you can otherwise never deal with in arena.
11. Speaking of which, Mercenary = great
13. Mad Sci > Dancing Swords, maybe. None of these are too good, but I really don't like Dancing Swords...
21. Farseer > Shiv. It's a good card vs a bad one. There's really no considerations that can change this.
26. Wolfrider > Grizzly, slightly. Maybe with the number of Ringleaders you have, you want the cheap taunt though...
27. Crusader > Merc
28. Crusader > Champ. Seriously, it's the third best neutral common imo behind only Sen'jin and Yeti. It's so hard to not get value out of it. Champ needs to go to turn 7, and Merc has some drawbacks, but there are very few things that deal well with Crusader (Among commons, I think it's just Bomber, Arcane Missiles, and Earth Shock).

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 18, 2014, 01:25:53 am »

Spectral is great for tempo decks. If you have board advantage, he's nearly unremovable.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 18, 2014, 01:29:32 am »

The choice I'm currently looking at:  Black Knight vs. Cairne vs. VanCleef.  I don't think I've ever had three actually good legendaries available to choose from...

I think it has to be Cairne. Black Knight is a bit situational, and Van Cleef doesn't do the amazing things he does in constructed. He's usually just a 4/4 for 3 and not on turn 3 unless you Backstab. Good but not great.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 18, 2014, 09:43:37 am »

6. Panda > Magi. Panda is really good, one of the best 2-drops. It's good on turn 2, and unlike many other 2-drops, it can create some great value plays late game. Magi is meh.
10. BGH > Faceless imo, but it's close. Neither has that many great targets in arena, but are never really bad. But I think BGH is a blowout more often and saves you against the stuff you can otherwise never deal with in arena.
11. Speaking of which, Mercenary = great
13. Mad Sci > Dancing Swords, maybe. None of these are too good, but I really don't like Dancing Swords...
21. Farseer > Shiv. It's a good card vs a bad one. There's really no considerations that can change this.
26. Wolfrider > Grizzly, slightly. Maybe with the number of Ringleaders you have, you want the cheap taunt though...
27. Crusader > Merc
28. Crusader > Champ. Seriously, it's the third best neutral common imo behind only Sen'jin and Yeti. It's so hard to not get value out of it. Champ needs to go to turn 7, and Merc has some drawbacks, but there are very few things that deal well with Crusader (Among commons, I think it's just Bomber, Arcane Missiles, and Earth Shock).
Thanks for the analysis. Had I picked Mercenary I over Farseer, I would have been more comfortable picking crusader over Merc. I picked Champion > crusader because I was worries I had too few late game cards. I feel late game is important to consider in Arena.

But yeah, Crusader is one of my favourite neutral commons.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:44:52 am by markusin »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 18, 2014, 11:35:32 am »

Id Pick champion over crusader there as well.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 20, 2014, 03:51:59 am »

It keeps happening, it just happened for the 3rd time, 2nd time in this arena run. What is going on.

Edit: Ended 8-3 against a Paladin that managed to stabilize just in time, thanks to a 4/12 Malygos body I couldn't kill. (Well, technically I could after he dropped Stormwind Champion, but killing that was more important.) Pack gave me Baron Geddon, it's all good.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:31:08 am by Titandrake »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2014, 11:01:18 pm »

http://arenamastery.com/bm8L

Mage at 1 HP, I've been pinging her for one damage at a time because none of my minions are sticking and/or I'm drawing spells.

Mage plays two Ice Barriers. :(

Also:  Deathlord pulls a Molten Giant.  Two games later, Deathlord pulls an Ironbark Protector.  I think Deathlord just isn't the best idea in arena...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:12:49 pm by Kirian »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2014, 04:08:20 pm »

Mage at 1 HP, I've been pinging her for one damage at a time because none of my minions are sticking and/or I'm drawing spells.

Also:  Deathlord pulls a Molten Giant.  Two games later, Deathlord pulls an Ironbark Protector.  I think Deathlord just isn't the best idea in arena...

Ping doesn't trigger Ice Barrier...

Deathlord is a hard card to evaluate because of its strange and uncertain effect on tempo. It can often come out even on cards, but the tempo effect really depends on the board state. If you have other minions that the Deathlord is protecting, it can give you a great amount of initiative in choosing trades, and stay up for multiple turns. In that case, it can buy you more than the 2 mana worth of tempo its stats might suggest (2/8 taunt would be a (bad) 5-drop). But when it dies you immediately give back a little more than 3, maybe 3.5 mana of tempo on average -- the average value of a minion omitting battlecry (though sometimes it's an Ironbark or Giant...). Really the important thing is the delay before it dies. You can't play it if they can kill it the turn it comes out, or it's really bad, so you really want a deck that can gain an early tempo advantage.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2014, 04:56:54 pm »

Ping doesn't trigger Ice Barrier...

It does if you're a Rogue or Druid.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2014, 06:32:28 pm »
+1

It also does if Ice Barrier is actually Ice Block.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2014, 10:40:50 pm »

I'm still in shock from this one.  Playing a Priest with an OK draft.  Up against a druid.

Druid plays Nourish for crystals on T5.  Then Innervate--Deathwing on T6.

I manage to get DW down to ~4 HP by sacrificing minions... and he plays Young Brewmaster on DW on T9.

I draw and play Mana Wraith.  OK, theoretically safe from Deathwing until the Wraith dies... but I'm at 6 health after healing.

Starfire to the face.  Next turn... Starfire to the face.

Holy.  Fuck.

Edit:  You know, I say "OK" draft, and then I realize I got offered exactly zero PW:S, SW:P or SW:D the whole draft.  So maybe it wasn't so hot.

(I went 1-3)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:12:43 pm by Kirian »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.