Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329233 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2014, 06:35:47 pm »

Oh man, Tirion Fordring. If Tirion + Redemption doesn't make you want to rage quit, I don't know what will.

The thing is, it's easy to not play Deathwing when it wouldn't help you, but that dead card could have been something that's almost always playable like Avenging Wrath or Fireball. Cards like those strengthen your position no matter who has the advantage. Many legendaries don't provide that flexibility.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2014, 01:37:11 pm »

Ugh, was playing a Rogue deck that's 2-2. Not a great deck, but I was hoping to eke out a third and maybe 4th win with it. I start the game playing second, my opponent uses his first turn wasting Claw to do 2 damage to my face. Off to a good start. By turn three I've got a developed board (a 3/1 and a 2/2) 5 cards in hand and he's played 3 creatures that I was able to remove with the combined resources of one Backstab and two dagger stabs. He has two cards in hand. There's still a lot of game to play, but I'm in a very good position and he doesn't seem very experienced.

He seems to be taking a long time, maybe he's slow rolling me? I'm unsure, but wait it out. He's taking a really long time, I think that maybe the fuse should have started by now, time keeps ticking. His character has definitely made the "I'm thinking" quote 4 times now, that's higher than usual. I get a message popping up saying I'm reconnecting to Hearthstone and that I've been disconnected... dammit.

By the time I reconnect enough turns have passed he has cleared my board, gotten me down to 3 life and played 3 minions that I could have removed immediately with the cards in my hand. I reconnect just in time to lose the game, but see that I had drawn the cards to win the game. I lose the game sitting on a couple minions, 3 eviscerates, a sprint, and an assassinate.

Worst disconnect ever.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2014, 03:43:35 pm »

Hearthstone seems much worse with disconnects now. I get this a lot, to the point that I now check my connection if I see the "what to do" bubble more than twice. It just says I reconnected, or says I disconnected like 4 turns worth later.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2014, 04:19:09 pm »

Hearthstone seems much worse with disconnects now. I get this a lot, to the point that I now check my connection if I see the "what to do" bubble more than twice. It just says I reconnected, or says I disconnected like 4 turns worth later.

I'm glad it's not just me. Maybe Blizzard will do something to fix it if it's something effecting everyone.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2014, 05:40:44 pm »

I'm glad it's not just me. Maybe Blizzard will do something to fix it if it's something effecting everyone.

Yeah. Also sometimes I see battle.net is offline, but hearthstone hasn't told me I'm disconnected yet.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2014, 04:39:52 am »
+2

11-2, final boss's name is "winvincible"

I manage to get out Sea Giant + Faceless + Yeti + Spectral Knight + Dark Iron Dwarf, have 25 health to opponent's 15

Opponent steals Sea Giant with Mind Control Tech
Then plays Blizzard on three consecutive turns
Then finishes me off with Pyroblast

not much I can do but laugh and shrug it off after that one  :P

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2014, 10:48:05 am »
+1

I'm starting to warm up to Pint Sized Summoner. Before, I thought it was pretty bad, since it's a 2/2 that usually dies pretty fast.

I think 2/2s are generally underrated. The thing is that there are not that many 2/3s and other than Amani, they are not picked that highly, so there's a pretty good chance your 2/2 won't go 0-for-1. If there's reasonable upside, then it's worth it. Dire Wolf is above average. Pint-sized and Mana Wraith are decent.

Still, the complaints of "OMG arena sux need RNG to draft legendaries and epics 2 win" that you see online are total nonsense.

Yeah, I think on average, Legendaries and Epics are worse than Commons and Rares in arena. They do tend to be more situational cards which don't fit into a random arena deck so well, whereas there are more simple solid value cards among the Commons/Rares. Really you're more interested in seeing more Fireballs, Truesilvers, DotCs, Backstabs, Sen'jin's, Crusaders, etc. rather than cards of higher rarity.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2014, 12:04:26 pm »

Have you guys ever had a draft that you thought sucked but then it does remarkably well?
No, but I've had the reverse happen, let's see, pretty much every time I've entered the arena.
Hey, now I've had the original thing happen too! I had a Hunter deck which I thought had way too many $2 and $3 cards, but I ended up going 8-3 which is remarkably well for me (previous best was 4-3).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2014, 12:39:03 pm »

I'm starting to warm up to Pint Sized Summoner. Before, I thought it was pretty bad, since it's a 2/2 that usually dies pretty fast.

I think 2/2s are generally underrated. The thing is that there are not that many 2/3s and other than Amani, they are not picked that highly, so there's a pretty good chance your 2/2 won't go 0-for-1. If there's reasonable upside, then it's worth it. Dire Wolf is above average. Pint-sized and Mana Wraith are decent.

What about Harvest Golem, Sunfury Protector and Feral Spirit? (I also tend to take Crocolisk over a lot of things, but I don't think that's the general case.) The problem isn't so much that they trade poorly with 2/3s, but that they also trade poorly with 1 mana minions. Gnomes, Worgen Infiltrators, Argent Squires, etc are relatively commonly drafted and look for opportunities like this to trade up. A 3/2 has the opportunity to trade up with many 3 drops, but a 2/2 doesn't have many chances to do this and has a lot of opportunities to let your opponent trade up.

That said I think Dire Wolf is great because of the extra attack it generates, it's often effectively a 4/2 with 2 of its attack charging. I'd say Pint-Sized and Mana Wraith are below average, they're good because they're 2 drops that can give you some extra benefit, but as they are rares I'll often leave them unpicked if there's a better rare there that can fit into a different part of the curve. You have to compare it to what you pick it against and that is other rares. For instance, great Arena cards that are not 2 drops like Drakes, Defender of Argus, Kodos, MC Tech and even cards that are better in constructed like Auctioneer and Violet Teacher, which I'd probably pick over it unless I was really short on 2 drops. Even if you're just talking 2 drop rares Pyromancer, Sunfury Protector and Knife Juggler are all better, partially because of their better stats, but also because their benefits are way stronger.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:41:44 pm by Jorbles »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2014, 02:41:58 pm »

^I wouldn't say Dire wolf is "often 4/2 with 2 of its attack charging". It's often a Rifleman when it comes out and demands to be removed.
Sunfury and Feral are rare, and Harvest Golem is a 3-drop. Definitely 2/2s are worse than 3/2s in that if you don't play them on turn 2, the body is weak. Pint-sized and Mana Wraith are good when played on turn 2. They trade with 3/2s, and have upside. They get worse later in the game, which is why they are slightly below-average cards. Dire Wolf actually is good if you can maintain something on the board, which makes it the best of the 2/2s, the only neutral one better than Raptor.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #210 on: September 12, 2014, 03:53:10 pm »

^I wouldn't say Dire wolf is "often 4/2 with 2 of its attack charging". It's often a Rifleman when it comes out and demands to be removed.
A taunting Rifleman for $2 is still pretty good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2014, 12:05:25 pm »

A taunting Rifleman for $2 is still pretty good.

Right, but it's not as good as Stormpike Commando for $2.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2014, 05:03:05 pm »

http://arenamastery.com/5RqC

Thoughts?  I was offered so few 4s...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2014, 07:08:30 pm »

I agree with all picks except

9: Violet Teacher > Sunfury
25: Core Hound > 1/4 Spell Damage guy
28: Unbound > Windspeaker
29: Lord of Arena > Voodoo Doctor
30: Maybe Sunwalker over Twilight, but I'm less sure about this one. Sunwalker is a better card but Twilight fills gaps in your curve more and is still decent.

Although you don't have that many Overload cards to make your Unbounds ridiculous, you still have enough to make them solid, and 2/4 for 3 is still a good card anyways. The deck doesn't have ways to get the board back, but there's lots of ways to maintain board presence, and you have solid early + late game. Your turns 4/5 are the rough ones but past that you're set.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2014, 12:20:06 am »

Yeah, I felt I really didn't have enough spells likely to make the Teacher worth it.  Those last few picks I picked for curve... I was so dense on heavy stuff, a Sunwalker or Lord just seemed so heavy.

Windspeaker actually served pretty well a few times; I went 4-0.  Plus this is the pack that I got:

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2014, 12:33:56 am »

Ancient of War is good, and so is Sunwalker. I've only seen Blessing of Champion a few times, as it's not actually that amazing. Explosive might be more useful with the Buzzard nerf is Control Hunter is ever a thing. But I've seen mid range run 1 sometimes. It's not bad as medium AoE.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2014, 12:47:46 am »

Ancient of War is good, and so is Sunwalker. I've only seen Blessing of Champion a few times, as it's not actually that amazing. Explosive might be more useful with the Buzzard nerf is Control Hunter is ever a thing. But I've seen mid range run 1 sometimes. It's not bad as medium AoE.

Even if the individual cards are only good for dust, an Epic and 3 Rares is amazing.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2014, 01:17:54 am »

War is great, Sunwalker is great, Explosive is amazing in arena, doesn't fit in as well in Hunter constructed decks but definitely playable.

On Violet Teacher - think of it as a Sen'jin minus the taunt at minimum. 3/5 is inherently a really solid body at 4 mana (which is why Yeti is amazing)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 14, 2014, 05:27:25 pm »

http://arenamastery.com/5RqC

Thoughts?  I was offered so few 4s...

1. Pyro > Imp Master. Imp Master requires board control to be good. With Shaman you want to focus on *getting* board control, not winning more when you have it. Your hero power does that. The synergy with Heal Totem is cute, but a solid 3/2 is better.
9. Sunfury vs Teacher. This one is close. Teacher is fine stats for 4, but it's not close to Sen'jin. The synergy between the high health and the taunt is what makes Sen'jin great. It's a bit more like Silvermoon guardian -- hard to remove but only 3 damage. It can 2-for-1 2-drops, but is not a spectacular tempo play. And Shaman really likes Taunt, so Sunfury is better than for other classes. With the big minions you already have, I like the Sunfury pick here.
11. Tiger > Bomber. Tiger is really good. You'd be hard-pressed to have it not trade favorably, plus it's a great buff target. The list of Neutral commons I take over Tiger is very short: Sen'jin, Yeti, Crusader, Dwarf, Ogre, Ooze, Harvest Golem, Merc, Spectral Knight, Champ, Cleric.
16. Bodyguard > Leper. Leper is really bad. Against 3 classes it will not even trade for a card. Bodyguard always at least trades for something, even if trading down, and it's a taunt, so it can force your opponent into some suboptimal plays.
25. Shieldbearer > Dalaran. You're right that your curve is too high for Core Hound, but Shieldbearer is better than Dalaran. With hardly any damage spells, it's essentially the same body, but one has taunt and costs 2 less mana. There's really not that much difference between 0 and 1 damage -- neither really kills anything.
28. Windspeaker vs Unbound. Unbound is really good since it kills 3/2s and lives, but I think you're right on this one. You have a lot of big minions and 2 Flametongues. This is the spot for Windspeaker.
29. Lord > Doc. Yeah you have a lot of high mana stuff, but it's not not worth picking a Voodoo Doctor. The problem with having too many expensive cards is that you can't play them all. But if you have and play a Voodoo Doctor, it's not much better than just not playing anything, so you didn't really gain anything over taking the expensive card.
30. Twilight vs Sunwalker. I agree with you here. You don't have the kind of deck that's going to be emptying your hand, so Twilight is like Yeti.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2014, 02:36:17 am »

I am about to start an arena run with Tinkmaster Overspark, Feugen, Nozdormu... and Alarm-o-bot.

http://arenamastery.com/HcZu

And three Consecrations. Wish me luck!!

Edit: 3-3 :/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:30:15 am by ycz6 »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2014, 09:28:50 am »

I am about to start an arena run with Tinkmaster Overspark, Feugen, Nozdormu... and Alarm-o-bot.

http://arenamastery.com/HcZu

And three Consecrations. Wish me luck!!

Edit: 3-3 :/

Why would you take Nozdormu over Onyxia?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 15, 2014, 12:32:57 pm »

I've been having trouble with Rogue in arena. It seems to be my worst class.

I just started this arena run, currently 1-0. Any comments on the draft?
http://arenamastery.com/GWJM

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 15, 2014, 05:00:43 pm »

I'm not great at Rogue either, but I thought your draft looked pretty good to me. Just a few comments

#9 I might have taken the Defias Ringleader here, but it's pretty close. DRs are really good 2 drops. Gnomish Inventor is solid anyways.
#21 Probably would have taken the Farseer. You usually take some damage with your hero ability and you have a fair amount of large minions that might survive an engagement. Lots of use for 3 healing. Shiv is not great. Mostly just a way to cycle a card.
#22 On the other hand I probably would have taken Fan of Knives here. It's useful against popular cards that generate a few trash minions that are often floating around (Imp Masters, Violet Teachers, Haunted Creepers). For one more mana it's way more useful than Shiv. Flesh Eating Ghoul is kinda meh. It's not terrible. I don't really begrudge you the choice here, but I probably would have taken FoK.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 15, 2014, 07:07:20 pm »

^ I took Shiv because I wanted more 2 mana cards to play over another 3 drop that I already had a copy of, and I wanted to give Ogre Magi something to do. Earthen Ring was probably better anyway.

Fan of Knives isn't better than Ghoul in a vacuum, but with so few taunts Fan was probably the better choice.

The run is 3-0 so far.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 15, 2014, 09:27:36 pm »

This deck has been pretty fun, 3-0 so far. I do wish I had had an Amani Berzerker or 2, I passed one up early for the Spectral Knight, but how was I supposed to know this deck was going to be so aggro? Even then, Spectral is still probably better because it's hard to remove, meaning it's very likely to put in damage.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.