Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329271 times)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2014, 09:50:25 am »

I'm drafting my first Hunter Arena.  Come laugh at my choices!

www.twitch.tv/shraeye

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2014, 12:09:07 pm »
+1

One of the sillier drafts I've gotten. Get your predictions in, folks.
Only multi-target removal is Forked Lightning, and no area removal. Only 4 single-target removal options before Fire Elemental (Earth Shock, Lightning Bolt, Stormforged Axe, Stormwind Knight). Several cards that are only good when already having minions on the board (Flametongue Totem, SSC, Argus, Frostwolf Warlord; and to a much lesser degree, Dwarf and Darkscale Healer). No convincing big vanilla card like Yeti, Sen'jin, Ogre. I think this deck will have a very tough time if it can't get board control early, because it doesn't have tools to retake it.

It does seem likely to get out of control fast if it does hold on to board control.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2014, 12:32:13 pm »

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed I didn't get a single Lightning storm in my draft. That 1x Forked Lightning is the only non-single target removal I got.

I don't remember the draft that well, but I do remember taking Unbound > Sen'jin around 15 cards in with Stormforged as only overload, and Darkscale > Stormpike Commando early on. Not so sure about the previous in retrospect, my logic was that Unbound + Overload card gets you a 3/5 but I wasn't thinking about the overload cost next turn and you have to draw an overload card to make it work.

This deck is probably going to live/die on whether the 2 drops and 3 drops live, haven't played it yet. In any case, getting 2 Rags is hilarious no matter what.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2014, 03:13:34 pm »

One of the sillier drafts I've gotten. Get your predictions in, folks.
Only multi-target removal is Forked Lightning, and no area removal. Only 4 single-target removal options before Fire Elemental (Earth Shock, Lightning Bolt, Stormforged Axe, Stormwind Knight). Several cards that are only good when already having minions on the board (Flametongue Totem, SSC, Argus, Frostwolf Warlord; and to a much lesser degree, Dwarf and Darkscale Healer). No convincing big vanilla card like Yeti, Sen'jin, Ogre. I think this deck will have a very tough time if it can't get board control early, because it doesn't have tools to retake it.

It does seem likely to get out of control fast if it does hold on to board control.

Axe is multi-target over a few turns. It's definitely something that helps with board control. A second Lightning Bolt or Rockbiter would be nice, but there's so many 2-drops that it shouldn't be hard to just keep slamming down minions. It's okay to let hand size get lowish because your top end is big cards (2x Fire, 2x Rag).

The worst card in the deck is Thrallmar. TBH, I didn't even recognize it in the image. Harpy is also pretty bad, but other than that, the card quality looks really good. I'd be happy with this draft and would predict 7-9 wins.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »

I don't think deck quality is a good predictor of win count, by itself. Time of day seems important too. Also luck of what you're matched against in early games, which is influenced by time of day.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2014, 04:44:44 pm »

I'm beginning to suspect this is true.  I have a small sample size, but I've always done better in mid-day drafts than 7am drafts...maybe the more casual players aren't playing at all hours of the day?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2014, 06:05:36 pm »

That is also true for constructed. And pretty much any online game.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2014, 06:16:14 pm »

I have theorized that Arena is much easier at the start of the month when all the hardcores are grinding ladder, and harder at the end of the month when the hardcores have made legendary and are just waiting for next season.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2014, 08:09:46 pm »

I do think time of day matters a lot for arena. In the evening I seem to face more mages than any other time of day.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2014, 11:22:57 pm »

Arena mastery has some stats on this, although it seems like the time of day stats are down. They're at the bottom of the page.

http://www.arenamastery.com/sitewide.php

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2014, 11:35:07 pm »

Went 4-3 with this:

http://arenamastery.com/LUwt

I think it should have done better... but it was missing taunts (except Sunwalker), removal, and silence...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2014, 12:08:47 am »

Oh god my heart. It's only 4 games in and I've almost lost 2.

Game 2: I have very easy lethal next turn. Fire Elemental, Windfury Harpy, Flametongue, Knife Juggler, Healing Totem, Rag, against a board of various weak things. Then my opponent plays MC Tech, Panda bounce, MC tech, and steals Windfury and Rag, and Rag kills Knife Juggler.

So now I'm facing lethal with no way to kill. I hit for face, get opponent down to 4. I have a Bolt and Mad Bomber in hand. Mad Bomber doesn't hit my opponent, but I get the 1/3 chance Spell Power totem for the win.

Game 4: Very aggressive warlock, was basically a Zoo deck. Argent Squire, SSC, 2 Knife Jugglers, Scarlet Crusader, Arcane Golem, 2 Injured Blademasters...I get down to 1 life before I stabilize behind a Argused Fire Elemental and DID. For 4 turns, he can't draw into any direct damage, I keep his board clear, and my taunts live just long enough for me to win.

Edit: Get opponent down to 10 life. Opponent plays 2nd Flamestrike of the day, pings the last guy on my side...then drops 2 Molten Giants. I win thanks to perfect taunt totem RNG but I made a misplay that should have costed me the game.

Edit 2: Ended 9-3. Don't remember my first loss, I think my life got too low. 2nd loss, he held onto Flamestrike longer than I thought he would and I overextended. 3rd loss, I'm behind in life but have the board mostly clear, and then Onyxia happens. Followed by Deathwing with me at 1 life just to BM. Around then was when I realized I had no Hexes in my draft. Ah well, got some ridiculously clutch wins out of it from Rag + MC Tech RNG. And I got my first Leper Gnome! It's about time, last common I didn't have.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:41:46 am by Titandrake »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:44 am »

Nice on the Leper Gnome. Was the very first card common I got in a pack.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2014, 07:57:55 pm »

So I drafted a Demon-based Warlock deck:

1x Sacrificial Pact
2x Mortal Coil
1x Abusive Sergeant
1x Flame Imp
2x Voidwalker

2x Demonfire
1x Razorfen Hunter
2x Bloodfen Raptor
1x Dire Wolf Alpha
1x Knife Juggler
1x Mad Bomber

1x Sense Demons
1x Earthen Ring Farseer
1x Felguard
1x Scarlet Crusader

1x Summoning Portal
1x Scarlet Crusader
1x Chillwind Yeti
1x Pit Lord
1x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
1x Silvermoon Guardian

1x Faceless Manipulator

2x Dread Infernal
2x Argent Commander

Any guesses as to how it did?

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2014, 02:31:50 am »

Decided to try out this Arena Mastery thing. Here's my draft: http://arenamastery.com/BuYg

My strangest picks were probably Acolyte of Pain > Sen'jin and Holy Wrath > Azure Drake, which were both because of my curve. Not that I think the latter was actually correct, but it seemed like fun at the time, when I had like 15 4-costs and 6 of everything else.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2014, 02:38:41 am »

I would've definitely taken Fen Creeper over Guardian of Kings, Humility over Blessing of Might, Azure drake over Holy Wrath.

I'm unsure if I start off with Defender or Drake.. both are extremely, extremely good.  I may lean drake just because paladin tends to get clogged up with lots of 4 drops.

The deck looks very good.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2014, 11:01:08 am »

Argus is strong card, but Drake has the advantage that it's good in every situation. Need a big body? It's pretty big by arena standards. Need card draw? It'll do that. Having spell damage too just makes it bonkers.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2014, 03:56:56 pm »

6-2 so far. I am feeling the lack of Consecration.

This Holy Wrath has not let me down yet, though! My opponent had 8 health on turn 9, I Holy Wrathed his face and drew a Truesilver Champion. Clutch.

One of the games I lost, I had an Amani out on turn 2, my opponent played a Mad Bomber and it killed the Amani. I was kinda pissed.

Edit: 7-2, Just killed my opponent via Dark Iron Dwarf + Blessing of Might on Questing Adventurer to put it to 12/7, plus 4/4 Spiteful Smith plus 6/1 Truesilver Champion for exactly 22 damage lethal.

Edit 2: Ended up 9-3. Not the best, but not bad for a deck with no Consecrations.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:31:16 pm by ycz6 »

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2014, 05:09:41 pm »

I did another one: http://arenamastery.com/VBOr

Pretty much just followed the tier list since I'm not too experienced with Rogue. Blade Flurry as my last pick goes against the list but I think is pretty obvious in my deck.

3-0 so far, have had board control pretty much the entire time

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2014, 09:35:06 pm »

Whoa! I just finished a warrior arena.  I went 3-1 with this deck, and was feeling pretty good about myself.  Then I lost and was feeling terrible, like a nice run was about to be cut off at the 3-4 level that I just COULDN'T ever get past.  Then, I miraculously won 5 in a row and ended 8-3!!  I know y'all have done better, but I'm ultra excited to have set a new benchmark!

http://arenamastery.com/LRMF

Also, Rampage/Imp Master is a bitchin' combo.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:24:30 am by shraeye »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2014, 11:17:58 pm »

link not working.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2014, 11:27:57 pm »

So I tried drafting poison seeds, because the pack was weak and I was curious about it. It was absolutely terrible. I never wanted to play it, it sat in my hand useless every game I drew it. I played it once, and at best it was not horrible.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2014, 11:34:43 pm »

So I tried drafting poison seeds, because the pack was weak and I was curious about it. It was absolutely terrible. I never wanted to play it, it sat in my hand useless every game I drew it. I played it once, and at best it was not horrible.

Pops test a poison seeds deck on me. His conclusion, and mine, was that it's gimmicky. Like inner fire, it can work well wen it hits, but it doesn't actually give you board control.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2014, 04:01:06 am »

Pops test a poison seeds deck on me. His conclusion, and mine, was that it's gimmicky. Like inner fire, it can work well wen it hits, but it doesn't actually give you board control.

The trick, I think, is death rattles that matter.  Seeds + Egg is clearly meant to be.  Golem, too.  Stuff like that.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2014, 09:01:37 am »

The trick, I think, is death rattles that matter.  Seeds + Egg is clearly meant to be.  Golem, too.  Stuff like that.

Seeds plus Egg is... a 6 mana Silver Hand Knight.  Obviously if you can get more death rattles out it gets better, but if your opponent has death rattles or tokens it gets much worse.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.