Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329284 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 11:21:04 am »

I got 8-3 on my last Arena run. That's a personal best! My first few runs as Mage have been lackluster, but this time she delivered.

Here the deck:
http://arenamastery.com/oXWm

I lost to a couple of aggro Paladins and a Mage who might have had 3 Flamestrikes. I can't remember. Having lots of 3 health Minions seemed to throw off my opponents. Mages can't ping them off as easily, they're less vulnerable to Consecrate, and Backstab can't 1-shot them. One of the highlights of the run was destroying Deathwing with a Big Game Hunter the turn after Deathwing was summoned.

Mirror Entity and Archmage Antonidas had a lackluster performance, but the winner of the Most Useless Card Award went to Faceless Manipulator.

Faceless the Deathwing, then Big Game Hunter to kill his Deathwing.
I'm not saying the Faceless couldn't have been useful under different circumstances. The closest it got to doing something good was copying a 14/3 Gurubashi, but I was going to win anyway so I didn't end up doing it.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 12:20:07 am »

So excited about this deck: http://arenamastery.com/A1aD

I predict great things in store!

On the one hand, it's sad you don't have any Cruel Taskmasters to combo with Amani/Execute/Acolyte of Pain. On the other hand...everything else.

I think my only two "bad" cards are Nightblade (which isn't even that bad in this type of deck) and Silvermoon Guardian (which I've comboed with Warsong Commander twice so far to act as a poor man's Argent Commander).  Gnomish Inventor/Shield Block are nice but doesn't fit into the theme of the deck (maybe Jungle Panther was the right call ...).

One freakin' Mortal Strike and I go 12-0. Instead I go 8-3, each time with my opponent < 5 health but me unable to win a topdecking war and with no burn other than Nightblade. Most galling is my last loss, where I have 15 damage on the board, he's at 1 health, and his last three cards are Boulderfist Ogre -> (free) Molten Giant -> Defender of Argus GG

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 12:36:21 am »

On the one hand, it's sad you don't have any Cruel Taskmasters to combo with Amani/Execute/Acolyte of Pain. On the other hand...everything else.

I think my only two "bad" cards are Nightblade (which isn't even that bad in this type of deck) and Silvermoon Guardian (which I've comboed with Warsong Commander twice so far to act as a poor man's Argent Commander).  Gnomish Inventor/Shield Block are nice but doesn't fit into the theme of the deck (maybe Jungle Panther was the right call ...).

One freakin' Mortal Strike and I go 12-0. Instead I go 8-3, each time with my opponent < 5 health but me unable to win a topdecking war and with no burn other than Nightblade. Most galling is my last loss, where I have 15 damage on the board, he's at 1 health, and his last three cards are Boulderfist Ogre -> (free) Molten Giant -> Defender of Argus GG

I feel your pain. Then again, Warrior is one of the worst classes in arena. 8-3 is damn good.

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 01:12:04 pm »

After having all of my arenas go 3 wins or fewer (except a freak 7 win arena in my third effort-no idea how that happened), my last went 4-3, and now I'm in the midst of a 4-0 arena run!  I've been savoring it by going slow, so it may be a bit before I finish.  I'd love feedback on my choices.  Any thoughts on what is making this work out so much better, and also what probably would have been even better.  Here's the arena: http://arenamastery.com/OMDf  I figure I'm already raising my average, so anything else is just gravy from here on out.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 01:21:10 pm »

I feel your pain. Then again, Warrior is one of the worst classes in arena. 8-3 is damn good.

Although Warrior lack a little powerful class minions, weapons are great in arena, and the chance to draft 2 or 3 Flaming War Axe alone makes Warrior one of my favourite arena picks, probably only below Paladin and of course, Mage.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 01:32:09 pm »

After having all of my arenas go 3 wins or fewer (except a freak 7 win arena in my third effort-no idea how that happened), my last went 4-3, and now I'm in the midst of a 4-0 arena run!  I've been savoring it by going slow, so it may be a bit before I finish.  I'd love feedback on my choices.  Any thoughts on what is making this work out so much better, and also what probably would have been even better.  Here's the arena: http://arenamastery.com/OMDf  I figure I'm already raising my average, so anything else is just gravy from here on out.

It's a pretty solid draft- there are a good number of 2 drops and spells to give you early game aggression, that many players may not be able to survive. However there are maybe a couple too many 5s and not really any really big end game minions, so you will suffer a bit if you start getting to turn 10 later on more often. Gurubashi can often suffice though as an effective 7 drop 5-6

mpsprs

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 03:32:58 pm »

It's a pretty solid draft- there are a good number of 2 drops and spells to give you early game aggression, that many players may not be able to survive. However there are maybe a couple too many 5s and not really any really big end game minions, so you will suffer a bit if you start getting to turn 10 later on more often. Gurubashi can often suffice though as an effective 7 drop 5-6

Yeah.  I wasn't offered much on the top end at all.  I passed up a Venture Co (for Flamestrike) and a few other core hounds, and that's it.  And you have hit exactly my reason for taking a second gurubashi so late.  In any case, so far I think double fireball has ended all my matches.  I've been guarding them zealously to make up for my lack of late game.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 05:36:36 pm »

Just went 12-2 with a Paladin deck with 0 Consecrations  :D

MVP was probably Aldor Peacekeeper - got a clutch 50% probability Peacekeeper > Stampeding Kodo on an Earth Elemental which basically won the game, then hit two Venture Co.s in later games. Got pretty good value out of two Earthen Ring Farseers, too, healing big guys after killing Sen'jins and such.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 06:06:08 pm »

Drafted a really interesting control Paladin. It doesn't have the best early game, but it does have

1x Wild Pyromancer
1x Equality
2x Hammer of Wrath
2x Consecration
1x Truesilver

with Venture Co, Stormwind Champion, and Guardian of Kings as my "finishers". It has a surprising amount of card draw in it - I just played against a Mage who triggered Acolyte of Pains 5 times, and was still only one card behind him when we got into fatigue.

The downside is that all my games take much longer, meaning I have a lot more chances to misplay. So far, it's 4-1, but it should be very good if I can dodge all the aggro decks. Oddly enough, my 1x Holy Wrath has been MVP so far, has done 5 damage every time I've played it so far.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 11:02:41 pm »

http://imgur.com/n47PKtY

I did this a while ago in arena.. it was fun!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 01:12:05 am »

And that Paladin went 5-3. Really wish I had those games recorded, because I'm sure I made subtle mistakes all over the place.

In related news, turn 2 Coin -> SI:7 to kill a 3/2 is the most annoying turn 2 play I've seen...and this is from being on both the delivering and receiving end.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 07:53:06 am »

And that Paladin went 5-3. Really wish I had those games recorded, because I'm sure I made subtle mistakes all over the place.

In related news, turn 2 Coin -> SI:7 to kill a 3/2 is the most annoying turn 2 play I've seen...and this is from being on both the delivering and receiving end.

Not nearly as annoying as turn 2 Mad Bomber that kills your 2 drop.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2014, 08:32:33 am »
+1

Especially when that 2 drop was your own Mad Bomber aka 2-mana Flame Imp

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 08:58:23 am »

Obviously you counter this by not playing a 2-drop.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2014, 03:37:30 pm »

I just went 6-3 with this Warlock deck:
http://arenamastery.com/vrNi

It was about to get my 7th win, but I made a stupid misclick and played my Venture Co. before my Worgen Infiltrator and that made the Infiltrator too expensive to play with the Demonfire I needed to play too. My Rogue opponent beat we with 1 health remaining, which I could have taken away had the Infiltrator been on the fielf. Argh!

Still, not bad for Warlock. The other choices for heroes were Priest and Hunter.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 04:09:41 pm »

I just went 6-3 with this Warlock deck:
http://arenamastery.com/vrNi

It was about to get my 7th win, but I made a stupid misclick and played my Venture Co. before my Worgen Infiltrator and that made the Infiltrator too expensive to play with the Demonfire I needed to play too. My Rogue opponent beat we with 1 health remaining, which I could have taken away had the Infiltrator been on the fielf. Argh!

Still, not bad for Warlock. The other choices for heroes were Priest and Hunter.

I actually think Priest isn't a bad arena class, despite its low win rate %. The problem is that you're at the mercy of your draft - a middling/mediocre Priest is much worse than a mediocre Mage/Paladin. However, there are a lot of good Priest rares (Shadow Madness, Auchenai, Holy Fire) that can completely take over a game.

The way I see it is that Priest decks are either amazing 9+ win monsters that get control early and never let it go, or bad ~3 win decks that don't have enough Novas for aggro or ways to actually kill Yetis and Dark Iron Dwarfs.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2014, 04:42:33 pm »

^You can say the same about Warlock and Hunter. That's why those are the worst 3 classes.

mpsprs

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 12:06:23 pm »

After having all of my arenas go 3 wins or fewer (except a freak 7 win arena in my third effort-no idea how that happened), my last went 4-3, and now I'm in the midst of a 4-0 arena run! 

Still going!  I'm up to 8-2 now.  Both losses were to rogues.  In general I seem to struggle against them.  In both games I got destroyed early by backstabs, and since I have no late game, it was game over.

On the other hand, I had my luckiest win ever: Against a druid, I got done to 1 health with an empty board while I was topdecking.  My opponent was still in the 20's.  Drew Arcane Intellect, which drew Arcane Intellect and something, which drew silverback patriarch.   Opp hit the silverback for 1.  Gradually I pulled back even on the board, as he gradually whittled down the patriarch.  I was helped by a water elemental to slow things down.  Finally got a Fen Creeper as my second to last card, sent everything to face.    He couldn't empty my board, and conceded before what was necessarily my last turn (since fatigue would kill me on the next).  Thrilling!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2014, 05:53:04 pm »

I just got a double legendary. Picked Cenarius twice. Should be fun :P

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2014, 05:19:50 am »
+1

In my first arena I got to pick two Leeroys. Can't really remember anything else about that draft, though. I think I went something like 4-3.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2014, 12:37:44 am »

Paladin vs Paladin

I go second.

T1: Pass
T1: Voodoo Doctor
T2: Make 1/1
T2: Coin, Tauren Warrior. Hit for 2.
T3: Argent Protector. Pass
T3: Blood Knight. Trade 2/1 for Argent, kill 1/1 with Tauren to trigger enrage. (So now I have a 6/6 and a 5/2 taunt on turn 3)
T4: Oasis Snapjaw
T4: SSC on Tauren Warrior (now Snapjaw can't kill alone), send both to face. Opp at 16.
T5: Truesilver, kill Tauren, Snapjaw kills SSC. Opp at 12.
T5: Harvest Golem + Croc, hit face, opp at 6.
Resign

I felt awful for my opponent, as soon as I could stop laughing.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2014, 09:18:59 am »

Second 12-win arena!  :) :)

Here's the deck:   http://arenamastery.com/qjl4

I think I made all the right plays but feel free to correct me: http://www.twitch.tv/10b5/b/543192915

The Master of Disguise/Cult Master combo won me multiple games.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2014, 06:22:51 pm »

I think I made all the right plays but feel free to correct me: http://www.twitch.tv/10b5/b/543192915

Grats!  I was online and got a popup telling me you had just finished this run.

Nice rewards?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2014, 06:38:44 pm »

Grats!  I was online and got a popup telling me you had just finished this run.

Nice rewards?

In the video you can actually see yourself sign off and on ;-)

Pretty good rewards.  Nothing super memorable though.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2014, 03:35:14 am »

Some dude just played Scarlet Crusader into my Mirror Entity, then played Blood Knight. I literally cried.

Guess it made up for me Polymorphing his Tirion Fordring on the previous turn.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.