Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 329234 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Arena General Discussion
« on: June 17, 2014, 06:45:11 pm »

Share your bad beats and lucky breaks!

Here's my only 12-win deck.  I had a ridiculously good streak of opponents towards the end that helped me get to this :) http://arenamastery.com/jRfq

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »

Here's a 12-1 Paladin deck I drafted recently. I got insanely good cards overall, to the point where my fifth-worst card is probably something like Argent Squire or Hammer of Wrath.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:17:04 pm »

So in honor of RDU's win at Dreamhack, I drafted a Mage deck where, in the first game, after playing 0 cards in the first 3 turns, I made the following play:

Turn 8 Molten Giant, Defender of Argus
Turn 9 Archmage Antonidas, Arcane Missiles, Arcane Missiles

and won by concession two turns later.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:18:22 pm by ycz6 »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 02:58:47 pm »

Just came back after taking a few months break.
It started badly with Warlock only getting 1 win, but quickly got better with an 8 win Shaman and my 2nd 12 wins, again with a paladin.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 03:12:04 pm »

My highest is 8 wins, although I had a really good Druid deck that I lost all 3 games due to disconnects from my laptop. Otherwise I was at 5-0 and every game I dc'd from looked like a win. It might have gotten 12.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:31:53 am »

Innervate out a Yeti, he Coins out a Emperor Cobra ...

RIP double-digit-win Druid.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 01:03:09 pm »

My highest is 8 wins, although I had a really good Druid deck that I lost all 3 games due to disconnects from my laptop. Otherwise I was at 5-0 and every game I dc'd from looked like a win. It might have gotten 12.
Why would you keep playing after two DCs? :P

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 01:24:44 pm »

Why would you keep playing after two DCs? :P

They weren't in a row. I kept fiddling with my router when I DC'd to get it working again, my internet came back, and seemed stable after some internet surfing, and then BAM! DC'd again!

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 02:11:29 pm »

A very disappointing 1-3 loss.  http://www.twitch.tv/shraeye/b/539930374

Arena drafting starts at 42:30 and goes pretty slowly (but if you're a completionist, you can watch this)

Game 1...starts at 1:14:00...Lost to a Priest

Game 2...starts at 1:36:00...win against a Paladin

Game 3...starts at 1:55:30...lost to a Rogue

Game 4...starts at 2:10:00...Lost to a Paladin.

If clever people could isolate 1 play on each game, and tell me how I could do better on that single play....I imagine the accumlated advice will help me get better.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 02:46:05 pm »
+2

Game 3: I would have tokened instead of dropping the Faerie.  They have the same net effect of removing the 2/1 except one costs you a minion/card in exchange for 2 life.  In general if you can take face damage, you should take face damage (unless they are "wasting" a lot of damage otherwise, i.e., killing an 8/1 with Argent Squire instead of your face).

I would have then coined out Gurubashi (which can kill Cult Master) or Druid of the Claw, but not Venture Co for the reasons you mentioned.  The Venture Co slows you down so much and you are racing hard against the Rogue.

Also Game 4, at 2:18, why not Azure -> Innervate -> Hero Power?? :(

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 03:24:03 pm »
+1

A very disappointing 1-3 loss.  http://www.twitch.tv/shraeye/b/539930374

Arena drafting starts at 42:30 and goes pretty slowly (but if you're a completionist, you can watch this)

Game 1...starts at 1:14:00...Lost to a Priest

Game 2...starts at 1:36:00...win against a Paladin

Game 3...starts at 1:55:30...lost to a Rogue

Game 4...starts at 2:10:00...Lost to a Paladin.

If clever people could isolate 1 play on each game, and tell me how I could do better on that single play....I imagine the accumlated advice will help me get better.

Game 1 was just Deathwing, not a whole lot you could have done.

Game 3, I agree with theory's analysis (but actually the Faerie dragon just saved you 1 life, not 2, since hero power also gives armor.
Also turn 3, you talked about using the coin. You should have done it. Essentially, it's buying you 2 mana here, since you're wasting 1 by not playing it. The extra 3/2 can go a long way to getting that early board control. In fact, it would have enabled you to just kill his Cult Master next turn.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 03:32:45 pm »

thanks for that game 3 explanation, both of you.  I totally understand what you are getting at, and hopefully i won't do something similar in the future.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 03:39:15 pm »

Its partly my fault because he was asking what a good use for a coin is, and I said to bring minions out early. i saw Venture co. so I just said as an example a Venture co. turn 4.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 03:46:21 pm »
+1

You should have won Game 4 but you make a couple of mistakes.
You forget about the second play of Noble Sacrifice, though you remembered for the first one, you should have hero power to trigger it. (and you would have won!)

I would have cleared the board on the first 10 mana turn as well- there is no point trying to save the Venture Co- it is negative value really, because it is increasing your cost. At that point you have card advantage so you want to clear his board and take the advantage and not bother trying to eek a little more value out of those cards. You actually do well in the next turn, but rather fortunately.
The innervated Ironbark isn't great because you know he has at least 7 damage out there, both 3 cost cards, so you will sacrifice the 8 cost for a 3cost (the Scarlet has shield).
Otherwise, there weren't any really bad plays from what I saw (I only watched that last game), so I'm sure you will improve quickly.

The innervated Turn 1 1-4 would have been a solid play imo btw, as you know it will take out the tokens, and worst case is a +2 buff on the worgen, in which case you can still take the board control.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »
+2

thanks for that game 3 explanation, both of you.  I totally understand what you are getting at, and hopefully i won't do something similar in the future.

What helped me understand it was, imagine I had two separate pools of health.  In one pool, every time I take damage, I also lose some ability to damage.  In the other, nothing happens until I take 30 damage.  Framed this way, obviously I will always prefer to take damage in the latter unless it's grossly disproportionate.  And moreover, I try to find opportunities to take damage in my second pool to deal damage to his first pool.  It's like how you would rather trash your opponent's Gold in exchange for taking -1VP.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 04:28:22 pm »
+1

What helped me understand it was, imagine I had two separate pools of health.  In one pool, every time I take damage, I also lose some ability to damage.  In the other, nothing happens until I take 30 damage.  Framed this way, obviously I will always prefer to take damage in the latter unless it's grossly disproportionate.  And moreover, I try to find opportunities to take damage in my second pool to deal damage to his first pool.  It's like how you would rather trash your opponent's Gold in exchange for taking -1VP.

At the same time it depends on what deck you're playing. I'l more careful playing against mages, especially when they haven't used things like fireballs yet since they can a put a lot of damage regardless of board condition.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 05:49:27 pm »

After a dire Priest performance I went Mage again, and am currently 3-0, now when I get a good deck I can normally cruise to 5-0, then it can be a bit dodgy as to if I keep making it to at least 8 (when I relax) and beyond, or collapse at 5/6/7.
Now I reckon this is pretty awesome, but then I have been wrong before, and it's too early to see from results- what do people think, predictions time!

2 Mirror Image, 1 Mana Wyrm, 2 Frostbolt, 1 Thalnos, 1 Doomsayer, 1 Faerie Dragon, 1 Owl, 1 Juggler, 1 Sorc Apprentice, 1 Youthful Brewmaster, 1 Arcane Intellect, 1 Spellbender, 1 Farseer, 1 Mind Control tech, 1 Razorfen Hunter, 3 (!) Fireball, 1 Poly, 1 Ogre Magi, 2 Water Ele, 1 Frostwolf Warlord, 1 Auctioneer, 1 Blizzard, 1 Argent Commander, 1 Flamestrike, 1 Champion.

Still haven't tried out any of the arena trackers, tempted by the automatic ones though.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 06:30:33 pm »

After a dire Priest performance I went Mage again, and am currently 3-0, now when I get a good deck I can normally cruise to 5-0, then it can be a bit dodgy as to if I keep making it to at least 8 (when I relax) and beyond, or collapse at 5/6/7.
Now I reckon this is pretty awesome, but then I have been wrong before, and it's too early to see from results- what do people think, predictions time!

2 Mirror Image, 1 Mana Wyrm, 2 Frostbolt, 1 Thalnos, 1 Doomsayer, 1 Faerie Dragon, 1 Owl, 1 Juggler, 1 Sorc Apprentice, 1 Youthful Brewmaster, 1 Arcane Intellect, 1 Spellbender, 1 Farseer, 1 Mind Control tech, 1 Razorfen Hunter, 3 (!) Fireball, 1 Poly, 1 Ogre Magi, 2 Water Ele, 1 Frostwolf Warlord, 1 Auctioneer, 1 Blizzard, 1 Argent Commander, 1 Flamestrike, 1 Champion.

Still haven't tried out any of the arena trackers, tempted by the automatic ones though.

Seems like a great deck. Doomsayer is pretty terrible in arena though. Nearly anything is better. Even Hungry Crab, which I took once when i was offered Doomsayer, Crab and another terrible epic that I can't remember.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 06:50:45 pm »

^Doomsayer is better than Crab (and probably Mountain Giant, at least for Mage), imo. It at least usually trades with other 2-drops, though you have to take the face hit, and sometimes you get 2-for-1 out of it. Plus, since the board clears at the start of your turn, you get that tempo edge. And even if they manage to kill the Doomsayer, at least it soaked up 7 damage. You won't often get the huge clears you get in constructed Freeze Mage decks, but it's much more capable of trading than Crab is.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 06:52:51 pm »

^Doomsayer is better than Crab (and probably Mountain Giant, at least for Mage), imo. It at least usually trades with other 2-drops, though you have to take the face hit, and sometimes you get 2-for-1 out of it. Plus, since the board clears at the start of your turn, you get that tempo edge. And even if they manage to kill the Doomsayer, at least it soaked up 7 damage. You won't often get the huge clears you get in constructed Freeze Mage decks, but it's much more capable of trading than Crab is.

I suppose. Not sure I was playing mage when I took the crab, but yeah I guess its better than i give it credit for.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 01:37:24 am »

So excited about this deck: http://arenamastery.com/A1aD

I predict great things in store! 

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 04:37:01 am »

On the one hand, it's sad you don't have any Cruel Taskmasters to combo with Amani/Execute/Acolyte of Pain. On the other hand...everything else.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 09:38:15 am »

I got 8-3 on my last Arena run. That's a personal best! My first few runs as Mage have been lackluster, but this time she delivered.

Here the deck:
http://arenamastery.com/oXWm

I lost to a couple of aggro Paladins and a Mage who might have had 3 Flamestrikes. I can't remember. Having lots of 3 health Minions seemed to throw off my opponents. Mages can't ping them off as easily, they're less vulnerable to Consecrate, and Backstab can't 1-shot them. One of the highlights of the run was destroying Deathwing with a Big Game Hunter the turn after Deathwing was summoned.

Mirror Entity and Archmage Antonidas had a lackluster performance, but the winner of the Most Useless Card Award went to Faceless Manipulator.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 09:45:44 am »

I got 8-3 on my last Arena run. That's a personal best! My first few runs as Mage have been lackluster, but this time she delivered.

Here the deck:
http://arenamastery.com/oXWm

I lost to a couple of aggro Paladins and a Mage who might have had 3 Flamestrikes. I can't remember. Having lots of 3 health Minions seemed to throw off my opponents. Mages can't ping them off as easily, they're less vulnerable to Consecrate, and Backstab can't 1-shot them. One of the highlights of the run was destroying Deathwing with a Big Game Hunter the turn after Deathwing was summoned.

Mirror Entity and Archmage Antonidas had a lackluster performance, but the winner of the Most Useless Card Award went to Faceless Manipulator.

Faceless the Deathwing, then Big Game Hunter to kill his Deathwing.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:45 am »

On the one hand, it's sad you don't have any Cruel Taskmasters to combo with Amani/Execute/Acolyte of Pain. On the other hand...everything else.

I think my only two "bad" cards are Nightblade (which isn't even that bad in this type of deck) and Silvermoon Guardian (which I've comboed with Warsong Commander twice so far to act as a poor man's Argent Commander).  Gnomish Inventor/Shield Block are nice but doesn't fit into the theme of the deck (maybe Jungle Panther was the right call ...).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.