Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 331565 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #1100 on: November 24, 2015, 11:09:37 am »

And what spells did you get out of them and did those spells secure you some wins?

I've gotten Forgotten Torch, Arcane Missiles, Mirror Image, Polymorph... these have helped seal wins, or proc Violet Teacher, or eradicate a minion...  Also while the 6/3 body is very vulnerable and dies on the opponent's next turn half the time, it's quite a threat, which means they usually spend their entire turn getting rid of it.

It also gives you a chance to discover a Flamestrike, which is often devastating in Arena.

WHICH I LITERALLY JUST DID

Also Coliseum Manager is hilarious and surprisingly useful.  Smack him into a minion, ping with Fireblast, then play him again at full health!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 24, 2015, 11:32:28 am »

And what spells did you get out of them and did those spells secure you some wins?

I've gotten Forgotten Torch, Arcane Missiles, Mirror Image, Polymorph... these have helped seal wins, or proc Violet Teacher, or eradicate a minion...  Also while the 6/3 body is very vulnerable and dies on the opponent's next turn half the time, it's quite a threat, which means they usually spend their entire turn getting rid of it.

It also gives you a chance to discover a Flamestrike, which is often devastating in Arena.

I reckon Ethereal Conjurer is pretty decent in arena but it saddens me that the devs gave it such horrible stats for a 5-drop that it's unplayable in constructed. I wonder if that was really necessary or if they were just so afraid of making another overpowered card that they would rather release a ridiculously nerfed version of something that could have been amazing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:33:56 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 24, 2015, 01:21:14 pm »
+1

I don't really see a problem with a card being good in Arena, but not Constructed. I much prefer to play Arena so it's actually nice to see that they occasionally seem to think about how it works differently than Constructed.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 24, 2015, 03:21:06 pm »

Ethereal Conjurer isn't unplayable in Constructed. It's comparable to Azure Drake.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 24, 2015, 04:28:28 pm »

Ethereal Conjurer isn't unplayable in Constructed. It's comparable to Azure Drake.
I think Ethereal Conjurer is only comparable to Azure Drake the way Gnomish Inventor is comparable to Chillwind Yeti.  Discovering a card has a dramatically higher value than drawing a card, and that compensates for drastically worse stats.

Drake is seeing precious little play right now, Conjurer sees a bit more, either because people want to experiment or because it's legitimately more powerful.  I think it might just be more powerful.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 24, 2015, 06:58:10 pm »

Azure Drake also gives you spell damage and it's in every Dragon Priest which you see fairly often on the ladder. 4 health is significantly better than 3 health. I'd like to compare the difference to the cost gap between $4 and $5 in Dominion. I might underestimate the power of discovering a mage spell a bit, though.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 24, 2015, 07:59:43 pm »
+1

I ended up going 8-3 with that deck.  Got a golden Shado-Pan Rider out of the deal.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 25, 2015, 12:36:36 pm »

I decided to gamble 150 gold on Arena to see if I could get to the most recent League wing faster. Went 8-3, got 155 gold, felt silly (at least I got 110 dust).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1108 on: December 09, 2015, 06:52:38 am »
+1

I just won with Secret Pally.

In constructed.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 09, 2015, 06:57:19 am »

Your point being that I should have made my comment here, I suppose?

Arguable.  After all, Secret Pallys are things you see in constructed, so it makes sense to talk about Secret Pallys in the Constructed thread, even if the one I saw occurred in arena.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: December 09, 2015, 09:32:38 am »

Your point being that I should have made my comment here, I suppose?

Arguable.  After all, Secret Pallys are things you see in constructed, so it makes sense to talk about Secret Pallys in the Constructed thread, even if the one I saw occurred in arena.

Also you would have spoiled the punchline by putting it in the Arena thread.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 09, 2015, 09:40:05 am »
+2

I reckon Ethereal Conjurer is pretty decent in arena but it saddens me that the devs gave it such horrible stats for a 5-drop that it's unplayable in constructed. I wonder if that was really necessary or if they were just so afraid of making another overpowered card that they would rather release a ridiculously nerfed version of something that could have been amazing.

Turns out its still preeeetty good in constructed.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 09, 2015, 09:45:09 am »

Oh yeah, the game before the secret pally loss, I lost to a mage who got a pyroblast out of a topdecked conjurer (no other cards), with me at 11 health but with 6 cards and an overwhelming board against his empty one. The saddest of faces.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 09, 2015, 11:32:45 am »

Oh yeah, the game before the secret pally loss, I lost to a mage who got a pyroblast out of a topdecked conjurer (no other cards), with me at 11 health but with 6 cards and an overwhelming board against his empty one. The saddest of faces.

Yeah, snagging a Pyroblast out of a Conjurer completely changes the game.  It goes from board control to "I have to get you down to 10 health by turn 10".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1114 on: December 09, 2015, 11:36:13 am »

Yeah, snagging a Pyroblast out of a Conjurer completely changes the game.  It goes from board control to "I have to get you down to 10 health by turn 10".

You still need pretty good board control to survive until turn 10.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 09, 2015, 11:43:02 am »

*pats Sludge Belchers and Blizzards*

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 09, 2015, 11:46:39 am »

Yeah ok. But if you've completely lost board control and have no cards left by turn 10, then you have burnt out too early, been outcontrolled, and probably deserve to lose the game, unless you knew with some confidence that you would draw the appropriate finishers.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 09, 2015, 11:48:32 am »

#notbitter

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 11, 2015, 11:16:30 pm »

So I'm starting to play this now that I have a computer with admin priviliges, and I'm losing all my games, even in the arena. What should I do to get better?

My best arena streak (out of the four times I've tried) is 1 win, even though I've read some of the beginner articles and played quite a few normal games.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:20:23 pm by XerxesPraelor »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1119 on: December 12, 2015, 05:15:40 am »
+1

So I'm starting to play this now that I have a computer with admin priviliges, and I'm losing all my games, even in the arena. What should I do to get better?

My best arena streak (out of the four times I've tried) is 1 win, even though I've read some of the beginner articles and played quite a few normal games.

You should play some more constructed to get an idea of how the basics of the strategy work before you go on the arena. It's very cost-inefficient to enter the arena and lose.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 12, 2015, 07:54:12 am »
+1

The kinds of decks you can build with the basic cards are not so very different from the kinds of decks you might draft in arena, in that you'll be unlikely to have game-winning combos so it's all about fundamentals, which in Hearthstone right now are tempo and value, probably in that order.  So look up some recommendations for decks using only the basic cards, then play some ladder games against people who (at least at first) are likely to be in a similar situation to you.

Watching pro players streaming is a good way to improve, although you have to be lucky enough to choose somebody who's explaining things at your level.

For arena, do you know about Heartharena?  It's a website that will take you all the way through the process of a draft, making recommendations and often explaining them, finishing with an overview of your deck and how they expect it to play.  I still find it extremely useful, even if I don't use it all that often.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 12, 2015, 08:42:41 am »
+2

These are good videos for begginers (it's a playlist):

but IIRC, you had MTG past and that should have covered it.

What server you play on? Maybe somebody could spectate.
Also, I recommend playing Ranked instead of casual, I hear it's more fair on beginners.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:43:48 am by Grujah »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 12, 2015, 10:13:11 am »
+1

Ranked at lower levels tends to be more fair. Don't get discouraged by the occasional golden hero of the opponent and/or lots of legendaries. They aren't representative of the lower ranks (except perhaps at the start of the season when ranks reset).

Casual has its own MMR, so if you keep playing casual eventually you should be finding opponents of a more reasonable skill. I still recommend ranked because there is nothing to lose in ranked except your rank. You shouldn't care about your rank as a beginner anyway.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 13, 2015, 03:56:42 am »

I decided to gamble 150 gold on Arena to see if I could get to the most recent League wing faster. Went 8-3, got 155 gold, felt silly (at least I got 110 dust).

I decided to do the same thing... and went 1-3 after drafting 3 legendaries :(

Edit:

2nd game vs Druid, both my Spellslingers give the druid Hex... which gets used on the big drops.
Last game vs Shaman, Shaman plays Piloted Shredder, Ancestral Spirit, and gets Animated Armor and Spawn of Shadows. :(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 04:00:45 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1124 on: December 13, 2015, 06:03:58 am »
+1

I've been just playing the Arena all the time to make enough gold to get the solo adventure wings (and doing quests in ranked or TB when I get quests for classes that suck in Arena). I just got the first wing of LoE last Thursday.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.