Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270419 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #1000 on: May 31, 2016, 04:45:56 pm »

http://i.imgur.com/x9DdcEu.png

I just built this and have been fooling around with it.. any suggestions?  (...other than the obvious one of "Don't play Reno Shaman")

I actually have tried out Reno Shaman a bit and I'd suggest putting in a bit of totem stuff. The 3/4 one, Mana Tide and Tuskar Totemic are all solid on their own. Also since you're playing a reno deck your games might go super long and Thing From Below can be a big tempo swing if you get and get to play it for almost nothing. The 1 mana +1/+1 per totem buff spell is actually pretty good as it can be way better than a banana sometimes (and is rarely worse than a banana). Didn't really think any of the other totem spells/minions were worth it but ymmv.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: June 08, 2016, 03:09:39 am »

I have a rogue quest, and apparently I'm utterly terrible with Rogue. I've gone something like 1-14 with this deck. Why is it so bad? (and don't say I need X legendary. Both my decent legendaries are already in this deck.)

Backstab,                    Shadowstep
Deadly Poison,             Southsea Deckhand
Worgen Infiltrator,        Betrayal
Eviserate,                    Sap
Beckoner of Evil,          Dire Wolf Alpha
Lance Carrier,               Twilight Geomancer
Perdition's Blade,         (I'm a) Fan of Knives
Shadow Strike,             Acolyte of Pain
SI:7 Agent,                   Silver Hand Regent
Squirming Tentacle,      Senjin Shieldmaster
Southsea Squidface,      Assassin's Blade
Assassinate,                 Azure Drake
Shado-Pan Rider,          Vanish
Nerubian Prophet,         Reno Jackson
Skeram Cultist,             C'thun

(This is not a C'thun deck. I'm just using him as a minor part of it. Seems like he isn't bad at 8/8, especially when I can Stadowstep him and use his battlecry twice when I get the cards right. Or maybe I'm wrong. Also, Reno seems appropriate for my Rogue because I only have one of some of the best Rogue cards like the SI:7 Agent and Eviserate.)

EDIT: Well just posting that made me think about it some more, and I think I need more big damage minions. So here's my edited version:  (Hey, I took out C'Thun and added a different legendary. It's not a great one, but it looks decent enough here.)

Backstab,                    Shadowstep
Deadly Poison,             Southsea Deckhand
Betrayal,                     Bilefin Tidehunter
Eviserate,                    Sap
Dire Wolf Alpha,           Lance Carrier,               
Twilight Geomancer,     Perdition's Blade,         
(I'm a) Fan of Knives,    Squirming Tentacle
Shadow Strike,             Acolyte of Pain
SI:7 Agent,                  Senjin Shieldmaster
Southsea Squidface,      Silvermoon Guardian
Assassin's Blade,           Pit Fighter
Assassinate,                 Azure Drake
Shado-Pan Rider,          Vanish
Illidan Stormrage,         Reno Jackson
Bog Creeper,                 North Sea Kracken
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:30:08 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: June 08, 2016, 03:48:46 am »

A Rogue deck is not my favourite type for a Reno deck. I've had very good luck with something kinda like the Echoes of Death recipe deck Blizzard provides. It works really well if you have Raptors and a bunch of Deathrattles. Though N'zoth is a great addition to it, I don't have him and it seems to work fine enough to win without him.

I think your deck just needs more synergy. It doesn't really have a coherent plan behind it. Either go full C'Thun or full Deathrattle or Miracle-ish or something like that.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: June 08, 2016, 03:59:05 am »

I don't have enough C'Thun synergy cards to go full C'thun. I don't really see how deathrattle cards synergize with each other unless you have something like N'zoth. And I don't know what miracle means in this context.
I haven't looked at much deck recipes online because it seems to take away some of the fun if you use a deck that someone else designed. They also usually have cards in them that I don't have yet.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: June 08, 2016, 04:24:15 am »

Miracle decks are decks centered around having lots of cheap spells and Gadgetzan Auctioneers to use the spells to draw lots of cards and overwhelm your opponent.

As to Deathrattle cards, they all synergize with Unearthed Raptors and if you have them Shadowcasters. Those are what I use for synergy in my deck.

If you don't have the C'Thun cards, that's okay.

One thing I'd say though is your deck isn't aggressive enough for a Rogue deck. Rogue doesn't want the game to go super long (that's what Reno is for making the game go really long) you want a deck that gets so big a tempo advantage that your opponent can't catch up. This usually means front loading your deck with cheaper cards that do more than one thing and help you take over in the early game (like SI:7 Agents, Loot Horders, Earthen Ring Farseers) and not having too many big cards. My Rogue deck only has 5 cards in it that cost 5 or more mana, and only one of those cards (Sylvanas) costs more than 5. Try making your deck more aggressive, Rogue is an aggressive class and in my experience most of the decks don't have a lot of expensive cards in them.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: June 08, 2016, 06:18:36 pm »

I agree that Reno isn't really the best fit for a typical Rogue playstyle, but Rogue has some special synergy with Reno in that it's easy for Rogue to play it multiple times with Shadowstep, so they can get even more value out of the card than a typical class can.

That said, your deck has a couple of cards in it that don't seem to fit very well, even with a limited cardpool.

Silvermoon Guardian is just kind of a terrible card. If your opponent has a ping like Mage or Rogue hero power, it's basically a 4 mana 3/4 at best, and even in other cases it doesn't trade very well on board. The optimal scenario is where you play it into something like a 4/3 on your opponent's side and get a great trade there, but even then if your opponent plays something like a Chillwind Yeti on their turn 4, then they can eat your Silvermoon Guardian pretty much for free. I'd swap it out for something like a Yeti, or since you're Rogue, Tomb Pillager, which is a great card.

Southsea Deckhand is a good card in Rogue, but it really only shines a deck which is aggressive, has attack buffs like Cold Blood, or has a lot of Pirate synergy, and your deck has none of those. Similarly, Lance Carrier and Dire Wolf Alpha are best in a deck where you have lots of small minions which let you set up good trades on the board, which is not the strength of a Reno deck. I think I'd replace those with either drawing cards like Loot Hoarder or Shiv, which will let you search for your removal and Reno, or early game minions which stand better on their own, like Undercity Valiant, Huge Toad, Defias Ringleader, and Buccaneer.

As Legendaries go, Illidan Stormrage is... not the greatest. He's definitely fun to use, and if you like him in your deck then feel free to keep him - he was my first legendary and I used him all the time :P. But honestly, something like Boulderfist Ogre, Shado-pan Rider, or Sunwalker will usually be more playable; 5 health is just so little. If you can afford the dust for a legendary and need something in the 6-drop slot, Sylvanas Windrunner is amazing and has been in very strong decks pretty much all the way since beta, so that's a worthwhile craft.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:22:16 pm by ycz6 »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 09, 2016, 12:53:47 am »

I don't have Tomb Pillager, Cold Blood, or Huge Toad (and I definitely don't have enough dust to craft a legendary). But thanks for the tips, I'll switch out Southsea Deckhand, Silvermoon Guardian, Lance Carrier, and Dire Wolf Alpha. And I'll probably switch out I.Stormrage after trying him out for a couple games (he was my first random legendary).
I thought Southsea Deckhand would be a good 1 cost in any rogue deck (or any deck with several weapons).

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 09, 2016, 12:30:03 pm »
+1

I realized I was telling you to take out expensive cards, but not advising what to put in.

These are the cards that cost 4 or less that I like to use in Rogue decks that you might find value out of:

Minions
Bladed Cultist
Abusive Sargent
Southsea Deckhand
Pit Snake
Defias Ringleader
Undercity Huckster
Undercity Valiant
Bloodmage Thalnos
Acidic Swamp Ooze
Flame Juggler
Bloodsail Raider (if and only if your deck has lots of weapons/weapon buffs)
Loot Horder
Huge Toad
Earthen Ring Farseer
SI:7 Agent
Unearthed Raptor (I like this card so much I build decks around it)
Tomb Pillager
Twilight Summoner (but only in a deck with Raptors/Shadowcasters)
Polluted Horder
Southsea Squidface (usually with cards like Blade Flurry)
Dark Iron Dwarf

Spells
Backstab
Preparation (but only with Sprint in my deck)
Shadowstep (with lots of cards with Battlecry usually)
Journey Below
Cold Blood
Deadly Poison
Shadow Strike
Shiv (usually only with cards that buff Spellpower like Thalnos/Azure Drakes)
Sap
Fan of Knives
Burgle
Blade Flurry (but only in decks with Deadly Poisons and other weapon buffs)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 11, 2016, 08:14:07 am »
+1

You still think blade flurry is worth a card slot post nerf?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 11, 2016, 06:51:47 pm »

I've actually had success with Corrupted Seer  in Reno Rogue, of all cards. As a Rogue, you might be so desperate for board clear nowadays that a 6 mana Consecration might make the cut when you consider the body that can be a target for Shadowstep and Shadowcaster.

As a rare, it isn't too prohibitive to get.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 13, 2016, 04:46:51 am »

One is fine with lots of weapon buffs. It certainly sucks compared to what it used to do, but Rogue's board clear is terrible.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 14, 2016, 12:09:57 pm »

One is fine with lots of weapon buffs. It certainly sucks compared to what it used to do, but Rogue's board clear is terrible.

Yeah, I often run Geddon although right now I'm giving the Murloc a run. I used to run Vanish but it costs to much to effectively replace your board before they do.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 14, 2016, 01:54:46 pm »

Vanish I think is only good in Mill oriented decks where you're trying to stall the game out (decks where you might want to bounce cards like Coldlight, Deathlord, Healbot, etc)

I think the only good board clear options we haven't discussed in Rogue are Dark Iron Skulker or Fan of Knives when comboed with Spell Damage.

I think Rogue should probably try to be more reliant on making their opponent need their board clear to stop the Rogue from winning and not count on having to wipe their opponents board. If Rogue has to do a big board clear they're already really behind. There's so many good single target removal spells/effects in Rogue that they shouldn't have to wipe a board very often.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 23, 2016, 10:14:14 am »

I think playing to make big Yogg Saurons is actually more fun than playing to Hearthstone's wincon.  It's making me like Hearthstone a lot more now.  Hearthstone is also fitting into my life better now that I'm playing an exhausting fighting game since it's the ideal level of brainlessness.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:45 am »

I think playing to make big Yogg Saurons is actually more fun than playing to Hearthstone's wincon.  It's making me like Hearthstone a lot more now.  Hearthstone is also fitting into my life better now that I'm playing an exhausting fighting game since it's the ideal level of brainlessness.

I've mainly been playing overwatch, which I personally think is considerably more engaging than Hearthstone. I'm finish about 1 arena run every 3-4 days now, maybe longer.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 23, 2016, 11:53:29 am »

Overwatch would definitely be way less of a reprieve from exhausting fighting game.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 23, 2016, 12:43:02 pm »

Overwatch would definitely be way less of a reprieve from exhausting fighting game.

Some of the games are super casual, but when I play against a good team it's really draining. Lots of quick decisions. I've never played many fighting games, but I've seen people who are good play and it seems to be the same deal.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: July 29, 2016, 11:20:25 am »

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: July 29, 2016, 01:32:25 pm »

Could be interesting. But I've been playing very little hearthstone recently. I'll play the adventure for sure though.

EDIT: I actually want to know why Blizz keeps making mechs. The "mech decks" Were in GvG, and now the mech synergy is so low that there seems to be no reason to keep making mechs. Just let them die off with GvG.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:04:33 pm by KingZog3 »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: July 29, 2016, 09:53:16 pm »

Could be interesting. But I've been playing very little hearthstone recently. I'll play the adventure for sure though.

EDIT: I actually want to know why Blizz keeps making mechs. The "mech decks" Were in GvG, and now the mech synergy is so low that there seems to be no reason to keep making mechs. Just let them die off with GvG.

Well like, the Dragon tag was just flavour until Blackrock Mountain. The Mech tag as flavour is fine by me. Gorilla Bot is a different story. Plus y'know GvG is still there in Arena, Tavern Brawl, and Adventures.

So lorewise, is this Medivh the same Medivh that is the alternate Mage skin?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: July 30, 2016, 12:50:46 am »

It is the same Medivh, but before he went crazy. So this would be before Kharazhan was an evil place, and here its just a fun festive place where we party with the not yet crazy Medivh.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: August 08, 2016, 10:40:28 am »

So.  Purify.  Thoughts?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1022 on: August 08, 2016, 10:46:53 am »

Plus y'know GvG is still there in Arena, Tavern Brawl, and Adventures.

And Wild.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 08, 2016, 10:47:11 am »

So.  Purify.  Thoughts?

It makes me think that the devs really don't know what they're doing. Or they're making priest te gimmick class, but then they should admit it. Like instead of lying about "there's a deck with priest no one knows about", just say "this is a gimmick class"

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1024 on: August 08, 2016, 10:54:43 am »
+1

So.  Purify.  Thoughts?

It makes me think that the devs really don't know what they're doing. Or they're making priest te gimmick class, but then they should admit it. Like instead of lying about "there's a deck with priest no one knows about", just say "this is a gimmick class"

Even if it's a gimmick, that effect isn't worth 2 mana. Wailing Soul's battlecry is pretty comparable (arguably more powerful) and its stats are almost par for the course for its cost. Purify is just an extremely awful card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.