Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270532 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #975 on: May 17, 2016, 02:50:53 am »

I've been having lots of success with Dog's druid list.  It looks (and is) about the greediest deck possible, but I've done reasonably well in every matchup other than miracle.. and that may just be me not playing well, I'm not sure.

http://imgur.com/SGAXetW ,   plus a Ysera, Y'shaarj, and Yogg-Saron that didn't fit into the picture.

He's being modest -- he hit top 50 legendary with this deck! You guys should try it out if you want to climb and have the cards.

Man, I only need to craft like 5 legendaries...

I need 2. Is it a fun deck to play? Ysharj seems like an odd pick for a deck with so many battlecries.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 17, 2016, 03:02:48 am »

I'm having a lot of fun. It's kind of weird.. Even though the deck seems like it's just "ramp and play big minions", there are tons of decisions about spending your mama every turn. Innervate is hard to use and still something I'm working on figuring out.

Y'shaarj is a little weird in that missing battlecries does suck, but you're still getting a 5/5 body or bigger most of the time. It's probably the best threat against warrior, and there are tons of warriors running around, many of which are the tempo deck that doesn't run brawl.  Sticking y,shaarj on any stable board all but wins the game.

You can probably swap in other stuff for the legendaries you don't have. Cards like nefarian, sylvanas, geddon and other big legends are all reasonable, as are stuff like second arakkoa or sunwalker. The threats are interchangeable.. It's the ramp that's the most important part to have. 

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 17, 2016, 01:02:30 pm »

I've been having lots of success with Dog's druid list.  It looks (and is) about the greediest deck possible, but I've done reasonably well in every matchup other than miracle.. and that may just be me not playing well, I'm not sure.

http://imgur.com/SGAXetW ,   plus a Ysera, Y'shaarj, and Yogg-Saron that didn't fit into the picture.

He's being modest -- he hit top 50 legendary with this deck! You guys should try it out if you want to climb and have the cards.

I remember being online to see the notification that he got Legend.

I don't have Fandral or Y'Shaarj. I feel that holds me back from making this kind of deck. I do have Deathwing: Dragonlord for whatever that's worth. I don't have Ancient or War either, but I can maybe sub in Bog Creeper there (7 mana 6/8 taunt).

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 17, 2016, 03:51:23 pm »

So Zoo seems to be strong...I've been playing this, which I modified from a few netdecks...

Forbidden Ritual x2
Mortal Coil x2
Power Overwhelming x2
Abusive Sergeant x2
Possessed Villager x2
Reliquary Seeker x2
Voidwalker
Bilefin Tidehunter x2
Dark Peddler x2
Dire Wolf Alpha x2
Knife Juggler x2
Darkshire Councilman x2
Imp Gang Boss x2
Gormok the Impaler
Volcanic Drake x2
Sea Giant x2
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 17, 2016, 05:10:29 pm »

That list looks pretty good.  It's super all-in on tokens and probably weak to the warrior whirlwind decks, but I'm not convinced there's a way to make that match-up any good.  Ravaging ghoul and Fiery War Axe are just so good against zoo.

Do you have problems finding plays on turn 1?  There are only 3 minions you actively want to play on turn 1 in that list.  In my latest zoo list, I have 1 flame imp, 2 villagers, 2 voidwalkers, and 2 argent squires.  I'd be worried about having to forbidden ritual or reliquary seeker turn 1 and just not having a powerful enough start to outpace a decent shaman start.  Maybe the explosiveness of Drake is enough to overcome that.. it's not a card I've played with at all.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 17, 2016, 05:16:39 pm »

I feel like Reliquary seeker is best used as a Discover option from Dark Peddler.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 17, 2016, 05:25:48 pm »

I feel like Reliquary seeker is best used as a Discover option from Dark Peddler.

Having played a bunch of zoo, it's really consistent in this type of all in token deck. Almost every game you can get it to be a 5/5 and be impactful.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 17, 2016, 05:39:35 pm »

That list looks pretty good.  It's super all-in on tokens and probably weak to the warrior whirlwind decks, but I'm not convinced there's a way to make that match-up any good.  Ravaging ghoul and Fiery War Axe are just so good against zoo.

Do you have problems finding plays on turn 1?  There are only 3 minions you actively want to play on turn 1 in that list.  In my latest zoo list, I have 1 flame imp, 2 villagers, 2 voidwalkers, and 2 argent squires.  I'd be worried about having to forbidden ritual or reliquary seeker turn 1 and just not having a powerful enough start to outpace a decent shaman start.  Maybe the explosiveness of Drake is enough to overcome that.. it's not a card I've played with at all.

I mulligan for Villagers, but if I don't get them, I can usually make up for it with so many strong T2 plays.  Bilefin is surprisingly great.  I never play Ritual for less than 3 mana and never play Seeker unless it comes out as a 5/5 (edge cases like Gormok exist).

Peddler, Bilefin work great on T2 to make up for the lost T1.  I'm finding most decks aren't playing a minion on T1 anyway except Shaman Trolls, Priest Clerics, and the stupid spell mages with Wyrms and Mirror Taunts.

I lost to the spell mage who does all the arcane missiles/flame waker shots after a good ten wins in a row.  The race with Fiery Bat hunters is exciting, and I'm winning more than I'm losing there.

Haven't seen the Warriors yet, but expect there's no way around the Whirlwind effects.

I know Drakes are super popular, but I find them good, even when played at 3 or 4 mana.  I made a huge comeback when I cleared an opponent's board with my tentacles and got two free Drakes.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:43:04 pm by ashersky »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 17, 2016, 06:39:23 pm »

I've never understood Mortal Coil in Zoo.  Is the idea that it's a 1 mana cantrip ping that you can use like Abusive to clear opposing minions, and that you can afford the 1 mana as the rest of your deck is so cheap?  Does it not get stuck in hand when drawn early?

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 17, 2016, 06:50:22 pm »
+1

I just played about a dozen games with the deck.  Reliquary seekers were okay.. I activated them quite a few times, but I sort of felt like those games were over.  It was nice against mage to be able to dump my hand and still have a minion live through flamestrike.  They also sat in my hand doing nothing quite a few times.

I still get the feeling that the deck has a few too many conditional cards.. I spent a bunch of games staring at a hand of sea giant, volcanic drake, mortal coil, and reliquary seeker or other hands like those.  I think 2 mortal coils is just too many.. They're fine if a bunch of trades are happening, but I think the deck is pretty well set up to deal with those situations already.  I think I'd rather have more cards to play. 

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 17, 2016, 11:05:44 pm »

I think in my zoo I only run 1 volcanic drake, and only 1 coil, 2 flame imps, 2 villagers.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 17, 2016, 11:33:54 pm »

I've never understood Mortal Coil in Zoo.  Is the idea that it's a 1 mana cantrip ping that you can use like Abusive to clear opposing minions, and that you can afford the 1 mana as the rest of your deck is so cheap?  Does it not get stuck in hand when drawn early?

I think it usually finds a use that draws you a card. In matchups like Hunter, Warlock or Paladin it's pretty much 100% going to draw you a card. I've never had too much trouble getting the card off of the Coil even against other classes though either when they leave something at one health just to see if they can punish you for not having a ping or by using it as the last damage to kill something when combined with a minion on the board. Sometimes you're desperate and need to ping your own 1/1 to draw into something without dropping your life total. Plus obviously the ping can be used to remove things like Divine Shields. It's a pretty versatile card.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 18, 2016, 01:28:56 am »

Jorbles is right about Coil.  I guess I'm so used to needing draw in non-warlock decks that it feels comfortable having a semi-Wrath in the deck.

As for the conditional cards, the way I play the deck is to always be working toward meeting them.  If I can't, I might lose, but if I do, I basically always win.

I'm looking at trying Spawn of N'Zoth in the deck, as having a quasi-Power of the Wild to buff tokens could be huge.  Not sure what to cut to add three drops though...

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 18, 2016, 07:38:17 am »

Sometimes you're desperate and need to ping your own 1/1 to draw into something without dropping your life total.

I haven't tried Mortal Coil in Zoo, so I am speaking from inexperience, but this is the situation that worries me: pinging one of your own tokens is a terrible outcome.  I'm not sure the situations where Coil is better overall make up for not playing something like Argent Squire instead.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 18, 2016, 09:57:52 am »

Sometimes you're desperate and need to ping your own 1/1 to draw into something without dropping your life total.

I haven't tried Mortal Coil in Zoo, so I am speaking from inexperience, but this is the situation that worries me: pinging one of your own tokens is a terrible outcome.  I'm not sure the situations where Coil is better overall make up for not playing something like Argent Squire instead.

I mean yes it is terrible, but at least it gives you that option. Sometimes when you can't draw a card you just have to resign.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 21, 2016, 12:48:32 pm »

I finally got to Rank 5 yesterday with Dragon Priest. I didn't realise how aggro heavy the Standard meta actually is until I started pushing through it with Dragon Priest. I was running one of the more greedy variants that tops its curve at Deathwing: Dragonlord and N'Zoth. Having the option to resurrect Chillmaw with N'Zoth is quite handy sometimes.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 21, 2016, 02:48:12 pm »

So... is there a must-craft Legendary in this set?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 21, 2016, 03:29:33 pm »

There isn't a Dr. Boom that is strong enough to see play in almost every deck.  The legendaries in Old Gods are good in individual lists, but can't just be thrown into decks at random.  I've not played with any new legendaries yet, as there's plenty for me to play before I feel the need to start crafting.  I can particularly recommend Lifecoach's Midrange Dragon Warrior and MrYagut's Doomsayer Midrange Hunter (which has no legendaries at all).

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 21, 2016, 08:53:10 pm »

The closest thing to a must-craft I've seen is N'Zoth, as a finisher across several classes. Although, to get full value you may need to have other legendaries like Tirion, Sylvanas, or Cairne.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 21, 2016, 09:02:00 pm »

The closest thing to a must-craft I've seen is N'Zoth, as a finisher across several classes. Although, to get full value you may need to have other legendaries like Tirion, Sylvanas, or Cairne.

I agree that N'Zoth seems like the biggest power house of the set, but relies on other good cards to be strong. Otherwise a lot of the cards seem balanced, that fit only certain decks.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 21, 2016, 10:41:54 pm »

I agree that N'Zoth seems like the biggest power house of the set, but relies on other good cards to be strong. Otherwise a lot of the cards seem balanced, that fit only certain decks.

Yeah, N'Zoth is the one I'm working towards. I think there's strong obvious decks with him in Rogue and Paladin, and I think Warrior or Hunter could be made to work. (It definitely helps that I already have Sylvanas and Cairne).

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 22, 2016, 01:19:25 am »

Yeah, N'Zoth is the one I'm working towards. I think there's strong obvious decks with him in Rogue and Paladin, and I think Warrior or Hunter could be made to work. (It definitely helps that I already have Sylvanas and Cairne).

Priest can make N'Zoth work as well. Priest actually needs very few of its own Deathrattle minions to make N'Zoth work. Shifting shade, Sylvanas, Museum Curator stuff, and maybe Cairne is all you need. Priest can just steal more Deathrattle minions with Entomb and Shifting Shade in the matchups where N'Zoth actually matters i.e. against slower decks. The Dragon Priest deck I was using this season has Chillmaw and Deathwing:DL as extra deathrattles.

Shifting Shade is seriously strong. Bonus if it reveals your opponent's win condition (eg. Leeroy from a Renolock).

Edit: Oh yeah, and Shifting Shade seems pretty serious about his Eternal Eggos.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:26:06 am by markusin »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 22, 2016, 11:56:08 am »

Yeah, I forgot about Priest. Definitely works in Priest decks as well.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 31, 2016, 07:33:42 am »

http://i.imgur.com/x9DdcEu.png

I just built this and have been fooling around with it.. any suggestions?  (...other than the obvious one of "Don't play Reno Shaman")

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 31, 2016, 08:04:12 am »

http://i.imgur.com/x9DdcEu.png

I just built this and have been fooling around with it.. any suggestions?  (...other than the obvious one of "Don't play Reno Shaman")
Novice Engineer stands out to me as a bit weak I guess, but not sure what you'd put in instead.  Maybe I'd consider Sir Finnley.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.