Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270806 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #825 on: January 13, 2016, 02:36:29 am »

Well, it sure *feels* like these are constructed decks I'm playing against with 1 win.

I was already using HearthArena.  My most recent runs have been Mage (1 win), Priest (1 win), Paladin (2 wins, but one was a disconnection).  I don't feel like I made any major misplays in this last run.

Also, do Arena runs only award classic packs now?

Edit:  Or maybe it's just time to admit that my brain isn't what it used to be.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:38:09 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 13, 2016, 03:29:08 am »

I came back to Hearthstone after a ~2 month break and noticed I did significantly worse in arena. I used to get 5+ wins pretty consistently, now I lose a lot of runs at 3-4 wins. The average skill level has definitely gone up, or maybe I haven't adapted to the new arena meta (which changes every set.)

Ideally, you want to find ways to trade efficiently on your turn, and find ways that prevent your opponent from trading efficiently on their turn. Sometimes this means leaving a minion at 5+ health against Paladin because the most common removal caps at 4 damage from Truesilver. Sometimes it means avoiding having a 1 health minion against Mage, or trading such that you have multiple 1 health minions because they can only kill one of them.

IMO, the hard part of Hearthstone is deciding what cards to play around and which ones to not.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 13, 2016, 08:09:31 am »

Well, it sure *feels* like these are constructed decks I'm playing against with 1 win.

I was already using HearthArena.  My most recent runs have been Mage (1 win), Priest (1 win), Paladin (2 wins, but one was a disconnection).  I don't feel like I made any major misplays in this last run.

Edit:  Or maybe it's just time to admit that my brain isn't what it used to be.
Sometimes you just get unlucky.
I probably average between 7 and 8 wins, but I still get runs of bad luck sometimes.

Maybe you're tilting slightly, maybe your opponents are just getting god draws and you not so much.  3 consecutive bad runs doesn't necessarily mean anything.
I'd say keep at it - if it carries on being bad then that might be a sign that you're doing something wrong, in which case, well, practice makes perfect.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Lammetje

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: koemanmike
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 13, 2016, 08:29:36 am »

I noticed the same thing, I used to average around 7 wins and generaly made profit from arena. Then I played a lot less for a couple of months and noticed that when I started playing again I won considerably less. My opponents just seemed to have all the anwers and good cards while it always felt awkward from my side.

Once I started playing a little bit more I noticed that my winrate went up again and I could once again run arena's somewhat profitably. Maybe it is coincidence, but I feel that after not playing for a while you make a lot more small subtle mistakes which impact your winrate by quite a lot. Getting 11/ 12 to wins does seem a quite a bit harder then before however.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 13, 2016, 11:54:41 am »

Hm.  I guess taking a whole year off would probably have even greater effect, then...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #830 on: January 13, 2016, 11:58:32 am »

I came back to Hearthstone after a ~2 month break and noticed I did significantly worse in arena. I used to get 5+ wins pretty consistently, now I lose a lot of runs at 3-4 wins. The average skill level has definitely gone up, or maybe I haven't adapted to the new arena meta (which changes every set.)

Well, the new meta is certainly very different from pre-LoE. Before LoE, if you got Paladin, you were simply guaranteed to win until you started facing other Paladins, and now it's not even the best class.

Avoid picking Priest. I think it's one of the two classes you should never pick (the other one being Hunter), but even if I'm wrong about that, it's definitely one of the worst.

Arena runs award random packs now.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:41 pm »

Priest and Hunter are indeed to worst. Paladin is ok, but can be affected for variance easily. Same as mage. Warrior actually has low variance and it's average draft is pretty decent. Rogue too since the League card she got were pretty strong. I'd avoid Warlock too if you can.

@Kirian, I haven't used heartharena in a while so I don't know how it drafts. But how you mulligan is really important, and this comes from knowing the composition of your deck. And how you trade/when you go for face is also really important. I had a draft a few weeks ago where I just played anything in hand and went face, and it went 9 wins because that was the only way that deck could win.

And yes, arena has become much higher in variance than before.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 13, 2016, 03:45:54 pm »

Paladin is ok, but can be affected for variance easily.
See, I find Paladin to be one of my most consistent arena classes.

I think among the not-rubbish classes a lot of difference is made by play style and draft style.
Everyone rants about mage, but my mages usually do OK-but-not-fab.  I think I draft too many spells.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 13, 2016, 04:33:33 pm »

I haven't played Warrior in Arena for awhile. How much of a boost would you say LoE has been for Warrior? Am I right to believe Cursed Blade is an okay pick for Warrior in Arena?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #834 on: January 13, 2016, 04:47:39 pm »

I haven't played Warrior in Arena for awhile. How much of a boost would you say LoE has been for Warrior? Am I right to believe Cursed Blade is an okay pick for Warrior in Arena?

A massive boost. I pick Warrior over Hunter, Priest and Warlock. It might even be better than Shaman. I think Cursed Blade is horrible, but I might be mistaken.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 13, 2016, 05:41:05 pm »

A massive boost. I pick Warrior over Hunter, Priest and Warlock. It might even be better than Shaman. I think Cursed Blade is horrible, but I might be mistaken.

I'm thinking Cursed Blade wouldn't be so bad if you only received double damage when attacking, or after being attack. Just not both at once. But then, it was seeing some play in aggro Warrior. I don't know if that's still around.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 13, 2016, 08:09:05 pm »

I'm thinking Cursed Blade wouldn't be so bad if you only received double damage when attacking, or after being attack. Just not both at once. But then, it was seeing some play in aggro Warrior. I don't know if that's still around.

Cursed blade is rare. The boost is mostly that TGT is no liger boosted, and the 2 boosted one are amazing. Cursed blade hardly affects anything, but it still pretty bad. Below average

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 21, 2016, 07:42:16 pm »

I was quite pleased with myself this morning.  I managed to beat a Renolock in a game that went to fatigue with my generic control Priest.  I even forgot to put back in Circle of Healing for Auchenai!  The only card remaining to me was the Jaraxxus I Entombed (his Voidcaller popped it out).  I got him down to, like, 9 Health, and then he Reno'd.  In the end, he conceded by Life Tapping into lethal fatigue.  Rank 10, by the way.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 21, 2016, 07:45:15 pm »

Opposing Druid:

T1:  Coin, Mechwarper
T2:  Innervate, Fel Reaver

Alas, all but one of my cards were 4s and higher...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 21, 2016, 07:48:42 pm »

Opposing Druid:

Sounds like you need a better curve in your deck.  Or at least a better mulligan.  What class were you playing?  An opening Frostbolt/Wrath/Darkbomb/Pain would have dealt with that warper quite nicely.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: January 21, 2016, 07:57:34 pm »

Opposing Druid:

Sounds like you need a better curve in your deck.  Or at least a better mulligan.  What class were you playing?  An opening Frostbolt/Wrath/Darkbomb/Pain would have dealt with that warper quite nicely.

Renolock with a somewhat high curve... but yes, I had a terrible mulligan... a bunch of 5s/6s into more 5s/6s.

I have wondered for some time if P2 has a significant advantage.  Coin, bonus card, bonus mulligan... it feels imbalanced.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 21, 2016, 08:08:50 pm »

Opposing Druid:

Renolock with a somewhat high curve... but yes, I had a terrible mulligan... a bunch of 5s/6s into more 5s/6s.

I have wondered for some time if P2 has a significant advantage.  Coin, bonus card, bonus mulligan... it feels imbalanced.

You might want to include a few more 1/2/3 cost cards.  Flame Imp, Mortal Coil, Dark Peddler (very good), Voidwalker... if you're not really doing anything turns 1-4, it won't matter how good the rest of your deck is, unless you're playing a Control Warrior or Freeze Mage, and even they have Fiery War Axe or Mad Scientist.

Blizzard has said that even with the coin/extra card, Player 1 still wins more of the time.  It's only a few points over 50%, but still noticeable.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #842 on: January 21, 2016, 08:23:26 pm »

I think there's significant P2 advantage in some matchups and P1 advantage in some others. For aggro and midrange decks playing against each other, being constantly half a turn ahead of your opponent is really good, but for control decks, mulliganing into the early game answers and coining into the slightly more expensive early game answers are more important.

Druid is just a stupid class in constructed in general, you might fall way behind very early on if they have an awesome starting hand and if you're in the lead, they can still just suddenly kill you with an OTK that you had every way of foreseeing and no way of preventing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:25:54 pm by Awaclus »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 21, 2016, 11:10:02 pm »

I think that deck has 13 cards at 1-3, and another 6 at 4.  Just unlucky draws.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 23, 2016, 04:05:52 am »

I played a Nexus-Champion Saraad and hero powered with no mana left, and went to click End Turn, then I thought "Wait, I could get a 0 mana spell", then thought "Well, the only 0 mana card that I might actually want to play right now is Innervate." Then I got Innervate.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 30, 2016, 06:43:21 am »

You can now if you drew a 0 mana spell cuz end turn button would be yellow (assuming no attacks or other 0 mana spells available) instead of green.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 31, 2016, 05:23:12 pm »

Is there a point to keeping around incredibly bad cards rather than dusting them to get Boom?  I have a pair of Far Sights and a Tree of Life that... do they ever get played?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 31, 2016, 05:23:42 pm »

On a separate note:  Worth opening the last three wings of Blackrock Mountain?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 31, 2016, 05:38:47 pm »

Is there a point to keeping around incredibly bad cards rather than dusting them to get Boom?  I have a pair of Far Sights and a Tree of Life that... do they ever get played?

I think Tree of Life is sometimes played in Mill druid, and I've never seen a deck running Far sight I think. If you're not aiming to get a full collection, you can defintely disenchant all these cards.

There are some decent cards in the last wings of BRM, but the only essential one (except if you're going for a Dragon deck, obviously) is Flamewaker (for Tempo Mage) I think.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 31, 2016, 05:41:11 pm »

On a separate note:  Worth opening the last three wings of Blackrock Mountain?

Yes, if you want to make a Dragon Priest.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.